• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2021; SWITCH #1; Skyward Sword #1, Nintendo killing it YTD

Marty-McFly

Banned
30 months in a row for Nintendo.

That's an NPD record.

sunglasses gifs, marty mcfly gifs, michael j. fox gifs, michael j fox gifs, back to the future gifs, movies gifs, back to the future trilogy gifs

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Doesn't Sony have like 13 first party studios?

Yes but consider that Mm is supporting Dreams and is a tiny studio, San Diego is now making a multiplatform game, Asobi is all that is left of Japan Studio....a fraction of the size it was and Pixelopus has only made indie size games so far.

Then many of the studios have just published games and won't be ready for 3 years.... Bend, Insomniac, SP etc.

Also look at the second half of this year for new exclusive releases and it seems kinda barren.

With so few studios and porting some games to PC, they should really be expanding aggressively through acquisition. Square, Sega or Kadokawa make most sense IMO. Arc System Works too,

Reactions: Isa

On Demand

Banned
Well deserved, Nintendo really stick with their exclusives and invest a lot of love and time. Really respect that.

You'll never see them put their games on PC. They stick by their principles and don't make their customers feel like they've been lied to.

Yep. Nintendo never waivers from their strategy.

Prices remain the same which helps promote perceived value. Everyone knows their games won’t be on anything else, ever.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
NPD is so lame now. percentage this and dollar that. remember when it used to be straight up actual sales numbers for hardware and software?

Yeah honestly these so called reports are nothing more than data based on money spent. It tells you nothing of actual hardware and software sold.

Industry was complaining about too much information being revealed. It was rumored to start with Sony?

Meanwhile the movie industry gives every possible metric of sales and cost to the public.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Yeah honestly these so called reports are nothing more than data based on money spent. It tells you nothing of actual hardware and software sold.

Industry was complaining about too much information being revealed. It was rumored to start with Sony?

Meanwhile the movie industry gives every possible metric of sales and cost to the public.
The good news is we always eventually get the numbers somehow.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It would be amazing if there was more transparency across the board. How come we can find out the budget of every film but can't for games.

Would be quite interesting to know that data, across the board.

Err no. I mean look at Mass Effect charting 4th on that chart...a game that is nowhere to be seen on the top 20 for July. It's clear Xbox is not selling well on software.
Yea this surprised me as well. So Mass Effect was number 4 on the Xbox chart but wasn't even in the top 20, yet something like Neo was number 16? That seems very odd, really curious about the numbers.

[Sigma]

Damn, them COD games+Asscreed really are top 3 on Xbox's list for the month this far into the year. That's just so sickening to me lol.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

You're not happy that people are buying a fun game?
ugh whatever dude.

If you want to see Nintendo releasing more 10 year old games for full price then keep buying/celebrating these releases.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here but ya this doesn't create a good industry precedant.
Why would Nintendo ever create a gamepass like service or expand Nintendo online even when they can just release the same games over and over?
Why would Nintendo ever make a collection style game like Megaman collection or Sonic Mega Collection when they can just release the same games over and over?
Why Would Nintendo ever be in a situation where they can enhance games for free for next gen consoles like PS5 and Xbox Series X when they can just release the same games over and over..
You get the idea.

I'm not saying we need to lament this or cry over it...... but getting overly excited about it in a "nintendo is killing it" kind of way is a bit sad to me.

If this thread has been about a new Nintendo game I'd be overjoyed for them.
But it never is these days..

Marty-McFly

Banned
ugh whatever dude.

If you want to see Nintendo releasing more 10 year old games for full price then keep buying/celebrating these releases.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here but ya this doesn't create a good industry precedant.
Why would Nintendo ever create a gamepass like service or expand Nintendo online even when they can just release the same games over and over?
Why would Nintendo ever make a collection style game like Megaman collection or Sonic Mega Collection when they can just release the same games over and over?
Why Would Nintendo ever be in a situation where they can enhance games for free for next gen consoles like PS5 and Xbox Series X when they can just release the same games over and over..
You get the idea.

I'm not saying we need to lament this or cry over it...... but getting overly excited about it in a "nintendo is killing it" kind of way is a bit sad to me.

If this thread has been about a new Nintendo game I'd be overjoyed for them.
But it never is these days..
Remasters are kind of big thing with every publisher at this point.

New games are expensive to make.

On Demand

Banned
Yea this surprised me as well. So Mass Effect was number 4 on the Xbox chart but wasn't even in the top 20, yet something like Neo was number 16? That seems very odd, really curious about the numbers.

Which proves that this kind of reporting is pretty much useless like I said. It just makes things that are doing bad look like they’re doing better than they are. 😆

Damn! Nintendo making every one else look like absolute amateurs. No stopping that damn train, its going all the way passed PS2.

What kinda numbers was MLB putting up when it was exclusive?
MLB has always beein the top best selling games of the year in NPD for quite a few years now. It going to Xbox has nothing to do with that. It has just helped it grow even more

Zelda BOTW
Release date : March 3, 2017
Current MSRP : $59.99

A single player game, and still charting after 4 years on the market. It's truly the greatest of its kind
NHUxz2E.gif
It actually makes Nintendo’s software sales numbers much, much more impressive versus the likes of Sony where they’re selling the likes of horizon, God of War and Spider-Man at sub $20 inside the first year in bargain bin sales or counting streaming downloads from PS Now as sales numbers.

blackjon24

Wow Nintendo fanboys really showed Nintendo! Expect more full price minimum effort ports with features locked behind amiibos. So sad

happy to see monster hunter stories 2 do well though!

Dr Bass

Just shows regardless a game on Gamepass or not people will pay for a game they will enjoy, I always do.
All indications are this game is selling well on PS though, where Game Pass is obviously not a factor. Where is this idea that this is a great selling Xbox game coming from? It's historically a PS only franchise. The sales on this list do not include Xbox digital sales. The game is low on the Xbox digital sales charts. We've seen the typical 80/20 splits on cross platform games in many regions in favor of PS. There is not a shred of evidence Xbox sales are moving the needle much on this game. Some baffling conclusions in this thread.
Wow Nintendo fanboys really showed Nintendo! Expect more full price minimum effort ports with features locked behind amiibos. So sad

happy to see monster hunter stories 2 do well though!
Or ... "video game players like classic video games. How cool."

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
MLB has always beein the top best selling games of the year in NPD for quite a few years now. It going to Xbox has nothing to do with that. It has just helped it grow even more

So it has consistently hit second best selling game of the year in the year it launches?

dave_d

Zelda BOTW

A single player game, and still charting after 4 years on the market. It's truly the greatest of its kind
NHUxz2E.gif
Mario Kart 8 is on there too. Arguably that's more impressive given it's a port of a game that was out for years on a different system.

CGiRanger

Banned
Doesn't Sony have like 13 first party studios?
Aren't most of Sony's remaining first party studios Western-centric? Like we know of Santa Monica and Naughty Dog and such. But their games are again not really aimed at the Japanese market at all.

Reactions: Isa
Switch is so good that even mediocre games are topping the charts.

Zelda BOTW

This game is really, really special.
Zelda is not even in my top 10 favorite franchises, but for me, Breath of the Wild is probably the greatest game ever.
Started last year, finished in January, but I still want to continue to play (and I am talking about just the base game).

I do not think that I will see another game like this one.

Last edited:
GAF insisted that Skyward Sword was the worst offense in gaming and that no one would buy it. I'm so confused right now.
Gaf will gaffe. Nintendo can do a shitty direct port and call it a rxremaster made from the ground up. And it’ll still shoot up to #1.

I bought my little sister Pokemon Go Eevee. I feel disgusting to this day. Im going to be one of those parents that see Pokemon or Mario, and just buy it for my kids.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yes but consider that Mm is supporting Dreams and is a tiny studio, San Diego is now making a multiplatform game, Asobi is all that is left of Japan Studio....a fraction of the size it was and Pixelopus has only made indie size games so far.

Then many of the studios have just published games and won't be ready for 3 years.... Bend, Insomniac, SP etc.

Also look at the second half of this year for new exclusive releases and it seems kinda barren.

With so few studios and porting some games to PC, they should really be expanding aggressively through acquisition. Square, Sega or Kadokawa make most sense IMO. Arc System Works too,
Ah ok. They need like 36 studios so they can release a new first party game every month.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The power of true exclusives and sticking with IP's for decades to build them up to be truly iconic.

They also don't mislead people saying the games are exclusive and then deciding to port them later.

Keeping the prices high only makes them truly high value titles.....

If they lowered the prices like other companies, it would damage the brands image too.
MLB sold amazingly as a non-exclusive though?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

The power of true exclusives and sticking with IP's for decades to build them up to be truly iconic.

They also don't mislead people saying the games are exclusive and then deciding to port them later.

Keeping the prices high only makes them truly high value titles.....

If they lowered the prices like other companies, it would damage the brands image too.
But nearly all Nintendo switch first party stuff came from the Wii u....

Just shows regardless a game on Gamepass or not people will pay for a game they will enjoy, I always do.
Not really. We don't actually know how well the game is selling on XBox, because NPd count only the physical sales on that platform, that are pretty low, and it's position in the general chart Is mostly due to the PS sales.

Last edited:
So it has consistently hit second best selling game of the year in the year it launches?
It's been in one of those top 10 spots around this time of year for the past few years yes. You can go back and look at that. 2nd probably not but as I said Xbox has helped it. It just has nothing to do with it being in the top 10.

PlayStation highest dollar sales for consoles.

MLB second highest selling game of the year.

R&C and Miles Morales in the top half of the charts.

If Sony had more studios, they'd have more in the charts....could be dominating everything if they went all in on exclusives.
IF? they are all in on exclusives, your obsession with years old PC games being ported is strange. They are already selling every console they can make so how much better do you think they could be doing right now? the ONLY way they could make more money on hardware now would be to raise the price which nobody wants.

If there was no covid Horizon would come this year and sell a few million copies and God of war early next year selling millions more which would bring in more money and guess what? those two PC ports and whatever is happening with UC4 isn't having any negative impact on their business right now other than a few people on forums throwing months long fits that defy logic.

Bryank75

Banned
Ah ok. They need like 36 studios so they can release a new first party game every month.

Well, it's not all about numbers...as you see I pointed out that although they have 13, only 8 or 9 of them are making very commercial games.

I'd like to see them hit 18 - 20 studios that would all compare in some way to the quality Insomniac, Sucker Punch or Santa Monica put out.

More would be gravy but I also think it should be a manageable amount.

Top Bottom