• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2021; SWITCH #1; Skyward Sword #1, Nintendo killing it YTD

Err no. I mean look at Mass Effect charting 4th on that chart...a game that is nowhere to be seen on the top 20 for July. It's clear Xbox is not selling well on software.
Tony Hawk isn't in the top 10 on either Playstation nor Xbox, yet it's #13 overall

UFC is #7 on Playstation and also not in the top 20 over all.

What does that tell us?
Exactly. Not much.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
MLB sold amazingly as a non-exclusive though?

It did and that's what they have to decide between....

Do they want to be primarily a game developer and make their money from games? or do they want to be a platform / console and make their money from selling 3rd party games and mtx.....while using exclusives to attract people.

The later has been shown to be highly profitable for them.

If they want to have their cake and eat it, then they need more studios so they have enough content that they can hold a few select games as permanent exclusives....
Uncharted, R&C, Astro, GOW, TLOU, LBP and a few others should be considered core PS eternally exclusive games.

Then GT7, MLB, Death Stranding, Horizon, whatever Kojima does with them next and multiplayer games can go to PC after some delay.

Then if they got Square for instance.... mainline FF games would go exclusive, KH would be too and maybe one or two others and the rest would go to PC after a delay.

That's how I would handle it anyway.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well, it's not all about numbers...as you see I pointed out that although they have 13, only 8 or 9 of them are making very commercial games.

I'd like to see them hit 18 - 20 studios that would all compare in some way to the quality Insomniac, Sucker Punch or Santa Monica put out.

More would be gravy but I also think it should be a manageable amount.
I'd like a steady stream of new games for sure.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Do they want to be primarily a game developer and make their money from games? or do they want to be a platform / console and make their money from selling 3rd party games and mtx.....while using exclusives to attract people.

If they want to have their cake and eat it, then they need more studios so they have enough content that they can hold a few select games as permanent exclusives....
Uncharted, R&C, Astro, GOW, TLOU, LBP and a few others should be considered core PS eternally exclusive games.

Then GT7, MLB, Death Stranding, Horizon, whatever Kojima does with them next and multiplayer games can go to PC after some delay.

Then if they got Square for instance.... mainline FF games would go exclusive, KH would be too and maybe one or two others and the rest would go to PC after a delay.

They could do day and date and it wouldn't hurt them. Casuals will still buy it for Fifa, COD, Battlefield, Madden, etc.

Bryank75

Banned
IF? they are all in on exclusives, your obsession with years old PC games being ported is strange. They are already selling every console they can make so how much better do you think they could be doing right now? the ONLY way they could make more money on hardware now would be to raise the price which nobody wants.

If there was no covid Horizon would come this year and sell a few million copies and God of war early next year selling millions more which would bring in more money and guess what? those two PC ports and whatever is happening with UC4 isn't having any negative impact on their business right now other than a few people on forums throwing months long fits that defy logic.

I always said it was short-termism and your commentary doesn't really contradict that.
They are selling now..... but people are not happy.

It's very short-sighted and it is lowering the ceiling for sales constantly.

Nintendo are the ones they should be looking at, are the blind to see that Nintendo are the ones kicking ass? Why are they emulating the company in last place???
Are you saying they should be copying the strategy of the company that has consistently come in last?

The problem is that there are a lot of people out here that either dont care about PlayStation or HATE PlayStation..... and they are actively trying to appear like they are acting in Sony's interest by saying to port games. But they just want a way to avoid buying a PlayStation.....a way to buy the great games on sale.

PlayStation should be trying to make these people either care enough to buy a PS5 or force them to buy one instead of listening to people actively trying to undermine the brand.

Chiggs

nah, he's talking about the hidden psychology of consumer spending and the even more elusive psychology of intellectual property value perception. Nintendo are the masters of nurturing, and maintaining the value of their intellectual property. Absolutely 2nd to none. Compare the impact of Smash Bros. to the impact of Playstation All-Stars. 20 years of Playstation IP building doesn't really add up to a ton in the end.

Having Nintendo games stay on Nintendo systems obviously plays a role in their perception of value. Having the price stabilized without plummeting 90% in 4 months helps consumers feel like their purchase makes more sense. Having the games maintain a consistently high level of quality builds trust, etc. Not all consumer psychology is purely rational, but we see the undeniable effects of Nintendo's approach working for them.

Great post.

Bryank75

Banned
They could do day and date and it wouldn't hurt them. Casuals will still buy it for Fifa, COD, Battlefield, Madden, etc.

It would hurt them. When all the hardcore people leave, casuals will follow.... cause casuals want to consider themselves on the same level as enthusiasts and knowledgeable gamers that they associate with.

EA is far more friendly with Xbox and Activision is in a state, so depending on those 3rd parties is also an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

I am already heavily considering moving to Nintendo as my primary gaming console. Or buying a PC. I had a friend in Holland who moved to Xbox and I had to delete him a few months ago.

The fact that PlayStation management take it so lightly shows me that they are completely clueless and arrogant.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I always said it was short-termism and your commentary doesn't really contradict that.
They are selling now..... but people are not happy.

It's very short-sighted and it is lowering the ceiling for sales constantly.

Nintendo are the ones they should be looking at, are the blind to see that Nintendo are the ones kicking ass? Why are they emulating the company in last place???
Are you saying they should be copying the strategy of the company that has consistently come in last?

The problem is that there are a lot of people out here that either dont care about PlayStation or HATE PlayStation..... and they are actively trying to appear like they are acting in Sony's interest by saying to port games. But they just want a way to avoid buying a PlayStation.....a way to buy the great games on sale.

PlayStation should be trying to make these people either care enough to buy a PS5 or force them to buy one instead of listening to people actively trying to undermine the brand.
Sony can't copy nintendo. They don't have the IP or brand recognition.
It would hurt them. When all the hardcore people leave, casuals will follow.... cause casuals want to consider themselves on the same level as enthusiasts and knowledgeable gamers that they associate with.

EA is far more friendly with Xbox and Activision is in a state, so depending on those 3rd parties is also an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

I am already heavily considering moving to Nintendo as my primary gaming console. Or buying a PC. I had a friend in Holland who moved to Xbox and I had to delete him a few months ago.

The fact that PlayStation management take it so lightly shows me that they are completely clueless and arrogant.
Enthusiasts have already bought the PS5 if they are interested. These days enthusiasts buy everything, including xbox's.

Nintendo can never be someone's primary platform, but you seem to care more about console tribalism than actual games, so go ahead.

You deleted a friend who bought an Xbox? Lmao

Bryank75

Banned
I'd like a steady stream of new games for sure.
And a bit more variety.

We could do with a Motorstorm or Forza Horizon style game. PD already has all the car models done.

We need a prestige 1st party shooter and a fighting game..... it's insane that Sony own Evo but don't have their own fighter.

A JRPG, a WRPG and a character action game.

And for the love of god...we need a stealth espionage game.

Just some of the areas the industry or PS is lacking.

Bryank75

Banned

Enthusiasts have already bought the PS5 if they are interested. These days enthusiasts buy everything, including xbox's.

Nintendo can never be someone's primary platform, but you seem to care more about console tribalism than actual games, so go ahead.

It's idiotic to think PlayStation can't bring an IP to the level of Mario or Zelda...all they have to do is give it the thought, care and resources that Nintendo give to their IP's.

Uncharted, TLOU, GOW and Spider-man are all 20 million + sellers already.

Nintendo have made their games into prestige IP's through their exclusivity and value retention at retail....along with high critic scores coupled with longterm approach to the IP's where they reinvent in some way every generation.

By putting games everywhere, you cheapen them, by lowering prices rapidly within a year...you make the games worthless and will never reach the prestige of a Mario, Zelda or even Pokemon.

It's like a chef who makes a wonderful meal.....does he cut a slice carefully and serve it to a single customer for at a beautiful table with silverware etc or does he chop it up and throw it in several boxes and sell it out a window like a takeaway???

Right now PlayStation are making wonderful Michelin star meals but they are throwing them in a box and selling them like happymeals by putting them on PC, not marketing enough and not sticking with IP's in the longterm. If you make the games too available...nobody gives a shit anymore.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's idiotic to think PlayStation can't bring an IP to the level of Mario or Zelda...all they have to do is give it the thought, care and resources that Nintendo give to their IP's.

Uncharted, TLOU, GOW and Spider-man are all 20 million + sellers already.

Nintendo have made their games into prestige IP's through their exclusivity and value retention at retail....along with high critic scores coupled with longterm approach to the IP's where they reinvent in some way every generation.

By putting games everywhere, you cheapen them, by lowering prices rapidly within a year...you make the games worthless and will never reach the prestige of a Mario, Zelda or even Pokemon.

It's like a chef who makes a wonderful meal.....does he cut a slice carefully and serve it to a single customer for at a beautiful table with silverware etc or does he chop it up and throw it in several boxes and sell it out a window like a takeaway???

Right now PlayStation are making wonderful Michelin star meals but they are throwing them in a box and selling them like happymeals by putting them on PC, not marketing enough and not sticking with IP's in the longterm. If you make the games too available...nobody gives a shit anymore.
1. Sony's IPs are not as valuable as Nintendo's. Everyone knows Mario and Link. Who does Sony have? They got rid of Crash and Spyro 20 years ago. Nintendos B-Tier is more popular than Sonys IPs.

2. You can watch Sony movies on Samsung tvs. You can watch them on any tv, with any blu-ray player, or stream them. You can listen to Sony music on any music device you can think of. None of that had devalued the brand.

The PS4 and PS5 moved to PC architecture to facilitate this practice. You should have been trying to fight this 10 years ago. Spoiler: Cell was a failure.

TLZ

Banned
First of all, another platform having exclusives isn't "copying" nobody.

2nd of all, no IP or brand recognition?

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
And a bit more variety.

We could do with a Motorstorm or Forza Horizon style game. PD already has all the car models done.

We need a prestige 1st party shooter and a fighting game..... it's insane that Sony own Evo but don't have their own fighter.

A JRPG, a WRPG and a character action game.

And for the love of god...we need a stealth espionage game.

Just some of the areas the industry or PS is lacking.
I'd love a new Motorstorm. That was one of my favorite PS3 games. I agree, it would also be good to see what PD could do with a more open arcadey concept. I'd also like a new Twisted Metal along the lines of 1 and 2. Something other than a cinematic third person action adventure for a while.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Uncharted 4 is coming to PC 👍

Bryank75

Banned
1. Sony's IPs are not as valuable as Nintendo's. Everyone knows Mario and Link. Who does Sony have? They got rid of Crash and Spyro 20 years ago. Nintendos B-Tier is more popular than Sonys IPs.

2. You can watch Sony movies on Samsung tvs. You can watch them on any tv, with any blu-ray player, or stream them. You can listen to Sony music on any music device you can think of. None of that had devalued the brand.

The PS4 and PS5 moved to PC architecture to facilitate this practice. You should have been trying to fight this 10 years ago. Spoiler: Cell was a failure.

Yeah.... how many times do I have to repeat myself?

I said what PlayStation need to do to make PlayStations games ascend to 40 million + sales and they are currently doing the opposite of what Nintendo did to build their games to what they are now....

You have no logic between your 1st point and second point..... you think Nintendo just throw out an IP and it suddenly becomes a phenomenon?

Right now several games are on the verge of breaking into the Nintendo IP territory..... Uncharted, GOW, TLOU and GOT. Leaving Spider-man to the side for a moment due to it being an established film and comic franchise.

Uncharted has only been around since 2007, GOW was 2005. Mario has been around since 1981 and Zelda was 1986 and have been FULLY EXCLUSIVE since then building an unbreakable relationship in peoples minds between the consoles of Nintendo and those games until now.

Now that Sony will no longer reinforce the mental conditioning of connecting these franchises exclusively with PlayStation consoles... they have kneecapped the franchises and their consoles potential. They are now less prestigious. Prestige has to be limited by definition.

Bryank75

Banned
I already played it lol. Just saying your detailed plans for Sony that you reiterate over and over do not align with reality.

PlayStation is being run by a pack of clowns right now that have no clue what they are doing.

Jim Ryan presided over Europe and did nothing for nearly 2 decades. He was just lucky enough to be in a region that doesn't want to buy Microsoft products if possible.

The store, updates, avatars..... were all shit compared to the US. The films came years later and the tv shows never came. The customer service is shit... in Ireland you have to call the UK to get help.

He is an incompetent.

So you can put his strategy on the same level as his history at PlayStation and his endless list of gaffes.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PlayStation is being run by a pack of clowns right now that have no clue what they are doing.

Jim Ryan presided over Europe and did nothing for nearly 2 decades. He was just lucky enough to be in a region that doesn't want to buy Microsoft products if possible.

The store, updates, avatars..... were all shit compared to the US. The films came years later and the tv shows never came. The customer service is shit... in Ireland you have to call the UK to get help.

He is an incompetent.

So you can put his strategy on the same level as his history at PlayStation and his endless list of gaffes.

Yea, he’s doing such a bad job that they are unable to fulfill the demand for their product that is the fastest selling console they’ve ever made.

The only reason you care so deeply about PC ports is because it weakens your position when shitposting on the internet, that’s it and that’s all.

Bryank75

Banned
Yea, he’s doing such a bad job that they are unable to fulfill the demand for their product that is the fastest selling console they’ve ever made.

The only reason you care so deeply about PC ports is because it weakens your position when shitposting on the internet, that’s it and that’s all.

Cerney designed the console, the studios make the games..... customers are going on PlayStations reputation and how good their games have been.

The facts are that Jim Ryan and even Hermen have been a disaster so far, have no vision and have just chased what Xbox have been doing more or less..

They have a lot to prove.

Exclusives are part of the landscape of competition... if competition is so bad that a company feels they no longer need exclusives then there is something fundamentally broken in the industry. If Xbox stopped competing in performance for instance, their fans would be outraged....
If Either stopped competing in services, people would be pissed too I think.
Even in controllers.... PS has the Dualsense and I heard that Xbox is working on their own equivalent now.....

So, why are we now saying companies should not compete on games?
Isn't competition meant to benefit the consumer?

If PlayStation makes great exclusives, that should make Xbox and Steam and EGS and Nintendo try harder......
But putting the games on PC actually decreases competition. Why would Valve bother now? Why would XBox since their gamepass is on PC and MSFT is the main OS on PC????

If competition is this bad in the industry, then give up all pretenses...... Xbox should shutdown and everyone should move to PlayStation for efficiency and Gamepass can be on everything so people can access it everywhere.

People talk about consumer this and competition that... but it's all a farce really. People become hypocrites as soon as it stands to benefit them.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah.... how many times do I have to repeat myself?

I said what PlayStation need to do to make PlayStations games ascend to 40 million + sales and they are currently doing the opposite of what Nintendo did to build their games to what they are now....

You have no logic between your 1st point and second point..... you think Nintendo just throw out an IP and it suddenly becomes a phenomenon?

Right now several games are on the verge of breaking into the Nintendo IP territory..... Uncharted, GOW, TLOU and GOT. Leaving Spider-man to the side for a moment due to it being an established film and comic franchise.

Uncharted has only been around since 2007, GOW was 2005. Mario has been around since 1981 and Zelda was 1986 and have been FULLY EXCLUSIVE since then building an unbreakable relationship in peoples minds between the consoles of Nintendo and those games until now.

Now that Sony will no longer reinforce the mental conditioning of connecting these franchises exclusively with PlayStation consoles... they have kneecapped the franchises and their consoles potential. They are now less prestigious. Prestige has to be limited by definition.
Sony has a completely different style. They have no mascots. Sony has what? Dude Tomb Raider, some chick with dreads, and a bald bearded guy.

Mario and Zelda being exclusive didn't result in their success. Nintendo had no competition in the 80a, and in the early 90s dominated. Then when the N64 became essentially a North American only console released some of the most influential games of all time with those franchises. Sony doesn't have any of that.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Cerney designed the console, the studios make the games..... customers are going on PlayStations reputation and how good their games have been.

The facts are that Jim Ryan and even Hermen have been a disaster so far, have no vision and have just chased what Xbox have been doing more or less..

They have a lot to prove.

Exclusives are part of the landscape of competition... if competition is so bad that a company feels they no longer need exclusives then there is something fundamentally broken in the industry. If Xbox stopped competing in performance for instance, their fans would be outraged....
If Either stopped competing in services, people would be pissed too I think.
Even in controllers.... PS has the Dualsense and I heard that Xbox is working on their own equivalent now.....

So, why are we now saying companies should not compete on games?
Isn't competition meant to benefit the consumer?

If PlayStation makes great exclusives, that should make Xbox and Steam and EGS and Nintendo try harder......
But putting the games on PC actually decreases competition. Why would Valve bother now? Why would XBox since their gamepass is on PC and MSFT is the main OS on PC????

If competition is this bad in the industry, then give up all pretenses...... Xbox should shutdown and everyone should move to PlayStation for efficiency and Gamepass can be on everything so people can access it everywhere.

People talk about consumer this and competition that... but it's all a farce really. People become hypocrites as soon as it stands to benefit them.
You do realize that Valve has put their games on consoles in the past right?

Sony fans are port begging for Alyx on PSVR2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Good point. This year they have only released two first party titles. Ratchet and Returnal. Neither sold particularly well and they would be lucky to sell 5 million between the two by the end of the year.

Even if we assume that sales will double when they get put on PC (which is highly unlikely since Horizon and Days Gone sold maybe 10-20%) you are looking at an additional $180 million in revenue. Is it really enough to dillute your brand and drive the biggest spenders away? We shall see.

With Horizon, GoW and GT7 should sell around $1 billion worth of copies in their first year alone. If they even sell 50% more copies, that's half a billion which is a big chunk of change they cannot ignore. But again, half a billion vs $25 billion in revenue from the PS business. 60% of which is digital sales, PS+ and microtrsanctions.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony has a completely different style. They have no mascots. Sony has what? Dude Tomb Raider, some chick with dreads, and a bald bearded guy.

Mario and Zelda being exclusive didn't result in their success. Nintendo had no competition in the 80a, and in the early 90s dominated. Then when the N64 became essentially a North American only console released some of the most influential games of all time with those franchises. Sony doesn't have any of that.

Kratos, Nate, Ratchet and the Hunter from BB are all quite iconic.

Anyone can be as reductive as you.... Link is a Robinhood rip-off and Mario is a racist version of an Italian.
Anyone can throw stones....

I simply said that the PS exclusives didn't reach those heights of sales because they didn't have as long and didn't keep the value over the longterm along with short marketing cycles.

If you want my opinion Horizon and Aloy will now never be true playstation icons, they ruined it by making it so available. It's not special anymore, it's not prestigious.
A good game but not a prestige game due to the strategy they adopted.... the cheapened it.

Marty-McFly

Banned

Anyone can be as reductive as you.... Link is a Robinhood rip-off and Mario is a racist version of an Italian.

I simply said that the PS exclusives didn't reach those heights of sales because they didn't have as long and didn't keep the value over the longterm along with short marketing cycles.

If you want my opinion Horizon and Aloy will now never be true playstation icons, they ruined it by making it so available. It's not special anymore, it's not prestigious.
A good game but not a prestige game due to the strategy they adopted.... the cheapened it.
PlayStation_All-Stars_Battle_Royale
Allstarsntsc.png

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Was too early to do something like that and it was just a clone really or an imitation of what Nintendo did.

They could have made a fighter with many of the characters this generation.....something by Arc System Works with loads of PlayStation, Anime and Guilty Gear characters..... with that anime aesthetic.

Would have been more original and had broader appeal.

They hadn't done the groundwork back then, LBP was a new franchise that gen and 1st party was just starting to get recognized and get the critical acclaim like it does now.

EDMIX

MLB The Show is the second best selling game of the year? I didn't see that coming. Are that many people buying it for full price on Xbox even when it's on GamePass?

Well not that shocking, that series has a deep following. I don't care much for sports, but I do know that series moves pretty big numbers.

Being on more platforms, I'm not that shocked lots of new comers are joining in or returning etc

Dream-Knife

Banned

So then I guess, what's your point? Sony has always done that since the PS1/2. They don't keep going with a series. In some ways this is preferable as the series don't become stale, but on the other hand it prevents them from having well known IPs.

If you showed people the hunter from BB only hardcore gamers will even know. Also since you can make the hunter look however you want complicates things.

If you're so bothered by PS games on PC find a new hobby, or company to give your life meaning. It's just games on different hardware man. You need to get a life. I don't mean that in a mean way, but you really remind me of myself when I was 8 back in the 90s.

EDMIX

I disagree completely.

Both are deeply established and one has literally pushed the other OUT OF THE HOME CONSOLE MARKET, so Sony is going to be known as that brand to have the console for as Nintendo might be known as the brand to get the portable of etc.

They've already have many titles move deep units to really be out here pretending they are not on the same level or can't be etc.

Spiderman moved 20 million, 1st game out
The Last Of Us moved well over 20 million, 1st game out..

Sir...those are not simple numbers and its a rare thing in the industry to move something like that, let alone on 1 or 2 platforms or something.

So Animal Crossing is not the norm of Nintendo sales and neither is The Last Of Us, I don't get this shit of trying to force this narrative that one can't do this or that lol So have plenty of evergreen IP that they whip out almost every gen. I'd argue, MS, Sony and Nintendo actually all do.

GT series, Forza, Halo, Ratchet, Mario etc. I'd simply say Nintendo fucking lives off that shit more then Sony or even MS does.

MS and Sony literally can move record units of JUST new IP and not sweat even a bit, but Nintendo simply can't do that bud... I'd say Nintendo is a slave to doing the same shit because of that tbh. We literally can all correctly guess the big sellers for Nintendo every gen lol

Let me guess, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda etc?

We simply don't know for Sony.

Before PS3, we didn't know the last of us would move those units.

Before PS4, we didn't know a new Spiderman IP would do those units either.

Thus....they do enough NEW SHIT, that we don't know when the next mega AAA IP will come from Sony, but fuck man, we all know what the big sellers will be for Nintendo no different then Activision or EA lol Its not that shocking man...

Sony has a completely different style. They have no mascots.

I disagree. They simply choose not to keep putting their eggs in 1 basket every fucking gen like EA, Activision and Nintendo... At this point, telling us a new Mario will come out is like telling us Battlefield or Call Of Duty will come out lol

If it was Nintendo, we would have no Sly, they'd just be like "you mean stealth Mario game?" if it was them, we'd have no GT, we'd just have Mario Kart, if it was Nintendo, you'd just have "adventure in uncharted areas.....Mario" that is the way they fucking rape that IP, we even found out several fucking "mario" games where NEW FUCKING IP, yet Nintendo was like "well....we need to milk him more and more so..... yea"

Sony allows those teams to move on, do something new and not continue to keep forcing the SAME identity on all products or something.

So Sony can have many "mascots", but they don't force this as it creates this notion that you fucking NEED To know this IP to buy a Playstation or something. They don't want people assuming that they just do 1 fucking thing year after year after year. Something new for everyone. Its how they even move record units every gen vs "some" gens lol Its about what the TEAM can create, not about milking 2 IP to death man lol

So no man, we don't fucking NEED like 5 or 6 generations of the same fucking IP to death. I'm ok with letting it die and moving on to something new, vs this begging for milking lol

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I disagree completely.

Both are deeply established and one has literally pushed the other OUT OF THE HOME CONSOLE MARKET, so Sony is going to be known as that brand to have the console for as Nintendo might be known as the brand to get the portable of etc.

They've already have many titles move deep units to really be out here pretending they are not on the same level or can't be etc.

Spiderman moved 20 million, 1st game out
The Last Of Us moved well over 20 million, 1st game out..

Sir...those are not simple numbers and its a rare thing in the industry to move something like that, let alone on 1 or 2 platforms or something.

So Animal Crossing is not the norm of Nintendo sales and neither is The Last Of Us, I don't get this shit of trying to force this narrative that one can't do this or that lol So have plenty of evergreen IP that they whip out almost every gen. I'd argue, MS, Sony and Nintendo actually all do.

GT series, Forza, Halo, Ratchet, Mario etc. I'd simply say Nintendo fucking lives off that shit more then Sony or even MS does.

MS and Sony literally can move record units of JUST new IP and not sweat even a bit, but Nintendo simply can't do that bud... I'd say Nintendo is a slave to doing the same shit because of that tbh. We literally can all correctly guess the big sellers for Nintendo every gen lol

Let me guess, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda etc?

We simply don't know for Sony.

Before PS3, we didn't know the last of us would move those units.

Before PS4, we didn't know a new Spiderman IP would do those units either.

Thus....they do enough NEW SHIT, that we don't know when the next mega AAA IP will come from Sony, but fuck man, we all know what the big sellers will be for Nintendo no different then Activision or EA lol Its not that shocking man...

I disagree. They simply choose not to keep putting their eggs in 1 basket every fucking gen like EA, Activision and Nintendo... At this point, telling us a new Mario will come out is like telling us Battlefield or Call Of Duty will come out lol

If it was Nintendo, we would have no Sly, they'd just be like "you mean stealth Mario game?" if it was them, we'd have no GT, we'd just have Mario Kart, if it was Nintendo, you'd just have "adventure in uncharted areas.....Mario" that is the way they fucking rape that IP, we even found out several fucking "mario" games where NEW FUCKING IP, yet Nintendo was like "well....we need to milk him more and more so..... yea"

Sony allows those teams to move on, do something new and not continue to keep forcing the SAME identity on all products or something.

So Sony can have many "mascots", but they don't force this as it creates this notion that you fucking NEED To know this IP to buy a Playstation or something. They don't want people assuming that they just do 1 fucking thing year after year after year. Something new for everyone. Its how they even move record units every gen vs "some" gens lol Its about what the TEAM can create, not about milking 2 IP to death man lol

So no man, we don't fucking NEED like 5 or 6 generations of the same fucking IP to death. I'm ok with letting it die and moving on to something new, vs this begging for milking lol
I agree, and have said as much in the post above this; Sony tries new stuff and Nintendo sticks to remaking generally the same thing with a new twist. However, that consistency has let Nintendo have more recognizable and I'd argue stronger IP over Sony and MS. MS has Halo, but that doesn't have the broad appeal of Mario and Zelda for example.

Majority of people are fine with milking a franchise to death, that's why they buy the same games every year. That's brand recognition and IP strength.

It seems you can't see that Nintendo Switch is selling like most Nintendo handhelds. No one really really thinks it's a serious under the TV console. It's nothing more than the follow up to the 3DS in all but name and like most Nintendo handhelds its sells loads and makes tons of cash.

Zannegan

It seems you can't see that Nintendo Switch is selling like most Nintendo handhelds. No one really really thinks it's a serious under the TV console. It's nothing more than the follow up to the 3DS in all but name and like most Nintendo handhelds its sells loads and makes tons of cash.
Objectively untrue. The hybrid sells significantly better than the handheld only model, and internal surveys show a nearly even split between mostly handheld and mostly console use, with use as both being the largest response. Like it or not, the Switch a dedicated gaming machine that works as both a handheld and a "serious under the TV console." At least that's how its installed-base sees it.

BlackTron

Having the games maintain a consistently high level of quality builds trust, etc.

This is where Nintendo lost me. It seems to me like they need the technique of artificially inflating the perceived value of their games because the actual value is slipping.

I learned this lesson on N64 when I played Yoshi's Story, while Yoshi's Island II had been my most anticipated game. From then on, the only Nintendo games I bought on blind faith were huge ones like Mario and Smash. Even some of those left a bad taste in the purchase (Brawl). The problem has only gotten worse in time.

If Nintendo's quality was as consistent as it was in the 90's I would have no problem spending $100 on a Nintendo game without ever reading the review, and feel privileged for the opportunity to do so. Those days are over man.

They stick by their principles and don't make their customers feel like they've been lied to.

The BOTW trailer alone was like the gaming lie of the century.

MrA

Banned
Yes, please continue sticking your head in the sand. Jesus.
here's a better idea, don't make stuff up to make yourself feel special or clever, you said something demonstrably false,
here are all the games Nintendo has published on the switch
one the left, all switch exclusive, on the right everything that is a wiiu port, so you know criticize for real things, not fake narrative things
so 75% of 1st party switch games are exclusive to the switch. and before you try, I pulled anything that wasn't develop by nintendo or isn't built off of an existing nintendo IPs (and pulling those shifts further towards switch as it knocks out 3 wiiu releases against 4 switch releases), I also pulled the 4 labos, mario kart live circuit and ring fit just incase you wanted to nuh-uh those don't count. nor does it include any of the eshop releases incase you wanted to discount those as well for reasons.
basically, I've already moved every goal post you could try and the wiiU still only makes up a minority of the switch's first-party efforts
1-2 Switch - 2017The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2017
ARMS - 2017Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2017
Splatoon 2 - 2017Pokkén Tournament DX - 2017 (International releases)
Fire Emblem Warriors - 2017Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2018
Super Mario Odyssey - 2017Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2017Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 2018
Kirby: Star Allies - 2018New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 2019
Mario Tennis Aces - 2018Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore - 2020
Super Mario Party - 2018Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 2021
Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! - 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 2018
Yoshi's Crafted World - 2019
Super Mario Maker 2 - 2019
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2019
Tetris 99 - 2019
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - 2021
Miitopia - 2021
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 2019
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 2019
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 2020
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2020
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 2020
Paper Mario: The Origami King - 2020
Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2021
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 2020 (Outside of Japan)
New Pokémon Snap - 2021

Fredrik

That’s not true. Microsoft could’ve gone the exclusive route when they bought Mojang, but they didn’t, they put Minecraft everywhere and now it’s the best selling game in the history at 230+ million copies.
GTAV has sold quite well too, 150+ million copies. And look at Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

Nintendo is the only one who’s been able to sell a lot with an exclusive title. But they’re still far behind the big ones that are easily accessed everywhere on every device. It’s no mystery, if more people can get access to a great game it’ll sell more.

arvfab

Banned
here's a better idea, don't make stuff up to make yourself feel special or clever, you said something demonstrably false,
here are all the games Nintendo has published on the switch
one the left, all switch exclusive, on the right everything that is a wiiu port, so you know criticize for real things, not fake narrative things
so 75% of 1st party switch games are exclusive to the switch. and before you try, I pulled anything that wasn't develop by nintendo or isn't built off of an existing nintendo IPs (and pulling those shifts further towards switch as it knocks out 3 wiiu releases against 4 switch releases), I also pulled the 4 labos, mario kart live circuit and ring fit just incase you wanted to nuh-uh those don't count. nor does it include any of the eshop releases incase you wanted to discount those as well for reasons.
basically, I've already moved every goal post you could try and the wiiU still only makes up a minority of the switch's first-party efforts
1-2 Switch - 2017The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2017
ARMS - 2017Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2017
Splatoon 2 - 2017Pokkén Tournament DX - 2017 (International releases)
Fire Emblem Warriors - 2017Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2018
Super Mario Odyssey - 2017Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2017Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 2018
Kirby: Star Allies - 2018New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 2019
Mario Tennis Aces - 2018Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore - 2020
Super Mario Party - 2018Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 2021
Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! - 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 2018
Yoshi's Crafted World - 2019
Super Mario Maker 2 - 2019
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2019
Tetris 99 - 2019
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - 2021
Miitopia - 2021
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 2019
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 2019
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 2020
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2020
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 2020
Paper Mario: The Origami King - 2020
Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2021
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 2020 (Outside of Japan)
New Pokémon Snap - 2021
😔 Even in list wars people forget Pikmin 3 😔

Same ol G

Have to correct ya there buddy, Nintendo has always been my main platform.
Playstation is always a secondary for the FF games GT, GTA and the occasional jrpg that doesn't come to Nintendo systems.
Xbox....well i like what they are doing with the system but they don't really have the games to warrant a purchase instead of a Playstation.

Bryank75

Banned
That’s not true. Microsoft could’ve gone the exclusive route when they bought Mojang, but they didn’t, they put Minecraft everywhere and now it’s the best selling game in the history at 230+ million copies.
GTAV has sold quite well too, 150+ million copies. And look at Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

Nintendo is the only one who’s been able to sell a lot with an exclusive title. But they’re still far behind the big ones that are easily accessed everywhere on every device. It’s no mystery, if more people can get access to a great game it’ll sell more.

We already listed several PS exclusives that hit over 20 million.... that is a lot whatever way you cut it.

Top Bottom