• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) July 2023: #1 Remnant II, #6 Pikmin 4; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, Switch #2 Units + Revenue

This is my main concern with Sony this generation. The console sells on Auto pilot, and Sony seem complacent to rock the boat in talking about...literally anything. They haven't announced one true next gen AAA game in 3 years, yet they are selling million upon millions of consoles. I personally don't think it makes sense, but when the competition is so bad in releasing games...I can't really blame the situation. As an owner of two PS5, i'd just love to know what next gen game outside of Ratchet I'm going to see running on this thing, before the pro arrives.

Answer is simple.

Its a nice console that plays games.

That's all that consumers want.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There was an Uncharted 4 slim bundle for $249 in Holiday 2016, same year the new model launched.
But it was until Holiday 2017 that they put the slim for $199.
In Europe you could pick-up Slim bundles ranging from 199-249 pretty much since launch (eg. in Germany there was a Star Wars bundle with a BR, Game, and PS4 for 229), as early as Oct 2016.
The point is - they had the elasticity built into the SKU - I wouldn't be surprised if Slim could have sold under 199 had there been a need - but they just never really needed it to.

ahtlas7

Hogwarts is killing it!

ytd
L0mUqrU.jpg

mtm
20g0NVM.jpg

I personally love the game. It’s fun, beautiful, intriguing, explorative.

The entirety of last years NPD, although we only have Switch's yearly number.

2022 Monthly Sales (NPD)

PS5XBS
Jan369k307k
Feb128k261k
Mar282k489k
Apr234k267k
May119k177k
Jun277k260k
Jul301k247k
Aug341k251k
Sep494k288k
Oct456k261k
Nov1328k730k
Dec1331k942k
TOTAL5660k4480k

2022 Yearly sales (NPD)

2022LTD
NSW5.830.00039.410.000
PS55.660.00011.900.000
XBS4.480.0009.700.000
PS450.00034.760.000

Last edited:

Tsaki

MS told CMA that PS5 outsells them 4:1 in Europe. 80:20 market share in favor of PS5.
Whenever Europe is brought up I can't get my head around which countries they talk about. Is it Europe proper, geographically speaking (yes it includes Russia as well), is it Europe without UK, is it EU, is it EU+UK, is it EU without some EU countries, is it EU that belong to the euro economic sphere etc etc?

Woopah

The entirety of last years NPD, although we only have Switch's yearly number.

2022 Monthly Sales (NPD)

PS5XBS
Jan369k307k
Fev128k261k
Mar282k489k
Apr234k267k
May119k177k
Jun277k260k
Jul301k247k
Aug341k251k
Sep494k288k
Oct456k261k
Nov1328k730k
Dec1331k942k
TOTAL5660k4480k

2022 Yearly sales (NPD)

2022LTD
NSW5.830.00039.410.000
PS55.660.00011.900.000
XBS4.480.0009.700.000
PS450.00034.790.000
So it looks like Switch could outsell Wii and 360, but not PS2 or DS correct?
Whenever Europe is brought up I can't get my head around which countries they talk about. Is it Europe proper, geographically speaking (yes it includes Russia as well), is it Europe without UK, is it EU, is it EU+UK, is it EU without some EU countries, is it EU that belong to the euro economic sphere etc etc?
It'll be Europe geographically (thought maybe not including Russia any more).

Tsaki

I genuinely don't know why Microsoft is in the platform market.

It's Sony's biggest vertical. It's nearly all of what Nintendo does.

Why is Microsoft still in the platform/console business? Serious question.
I think that since the Apple v. Epic started, MS is hoping that the governments force the platform holders to open up their consoles. They won't lose much but getting your store to all the Playstations and Nintendo consoles will be great for them. Now it doesn't matter how many consoles you sell since you are present there anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if they've talked about it with some of their Washington State senator lackeys.
Yeah that would make the most sense and be the most convenient.

So it looks like Switch could outsell Wii and 360, but not PS2 or DS correct?

I don't have the exact final numbers but it is something like this (below), Switch will outsell them all apart from the NDS.

WII: 41.5 million
XB360: 44 million
PS2: 46.5 million
NDS: 52.5 million

NSW: 39.4 million as of 31 Dec 2022
Approximately 2.2 million in 2023 as of 31 July, Approximately 41.6 million so far

It's embarrassing how bad Jim Ryan's PR has been with Playstation this generation. Marketing-wise, it's basically been selling on auto-pilot. Imagine if Sony actually cared to talk to Playstation Gamers......
What do you mean "talk to playstation gamers"? Clearly the games are selling. The consoles are selling. The marketing exists. Earlier this year once they finally got the stock issues sorted out PS5 ads were everywhere, on TV, outdoors, etc. Everytime there's a UEFA game here in europe PS5 logo is everywhere plus ads for certain games. I always see ads for PS games when they come out as well. Spider-Man 2 releases in october and the marketing campaign has started a while ago as well.

What a weird post. And if you mention "but they left E3" i'm sorry...this isn't 2005. These shows are clearly irrelevant. Look at Xbox showcase in June. So much for that 1000% sales increase for Series consoles. Once the charts came out for the month there was nothing new for that console.

This is my main concern with Sony this generation. The console sells on Auto pilot, and Sony seem complacent to rock the boat in talking about...literally anything. They haven't announced one true next gen AAA game in 3 years, yet they are selling million upon millions of consoles. I personally don't think it makes sense, but when the competition is so bad in releasing games...I can't really blame the situation. As an owner of two PS5, i'd just love to know what next gen game outside of Ratchet I'm going to see running on this thing, before the pro arrives.
Spider-Man 2 had its first trailer in 2021. First gameplay trailer this year. I agree this year is kind of weird for PS5 games, but we also know they had some delays for next fiscal year. Most companies only reveal their titles way closer to theur releases than a few years ago. This isn't a Sony thing.

Consoles don't sell on "auto-pilot". Tell that to the Wii U after the Wii success or Xbox One after 360. Or PS3 after PS1 / PS2.

If Sony wasn't releasing a product appealing to an audience it wouldn't sell. Period.

If anything it shows Jim Ryan and Sony clearly know what they are doing. Add to all this the fact they are smart as hell with marketing deals to the biggest games: Fifa, COD, Fortnite, Hogwarts Legacy, the Avatar game that's coming, the exclusives FFXVI and Rebirth, etc...there's a lot of 3rd party games and IPs tied to PS brand because of deals like this. This isn't just about their studios.

Woopah

Sony regularly hold SoP, have had a full showcase already this year and have announced several games that are publishing, including:
  • Spiderman 2
  • Helldivers 2
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Wolverine
  • Concord
  • Fairgame$
  • Marathon (not Sony published but Sony owned).
They are not that secretive about their published games. They are not Nintendo

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Welfare from installBase estimates for January to July 2023 NPD

PS5: 2.93M
NSW: 2.29M
XBS: 1.41M

So that means this year in America we have

PS5: 67.5%
Xbox Series: 32.5%

I just can't wrap my mind around how Microsoft screwed up so bad in America. I understand why they slipped in the EU and never sell in Asia. But America bro.........wth? That's more than a 2-to-1 advantage and it's before the PS5 "slim", price cut on the PS5, price increase of the Xbox Series consoles, and Spiderman.

NickFire

I just can't wrap my mind around how Microsoft screwed up so bad in America. I understand why they slipped in the EU and never sell in Asia. But America bro.........wth? That's more than a 2-to-1 advantage and it's before the PS5 "slim", price cut on the PS5, price increase of the Xbox Series consoles, and Spiderman.
It's the economy games!

mckmas8808

What do you mean "talk to playstation gamers"? Clearly the games are selling. The consoles are selling. The marketing exists. Earlier this year once they finally got the stock issues sorted out PS5 ads were everywhere, on TV, outdoors, etc. Everytime there's a UEFA game here in europe PS5 logo is everywhere plus ads for certain games. I always see ads for PS games when they come out as well. Spider-Man 2 releases in october and the marketing campaign has started a while ago as well.

What a weird post. And if you mention "but they left E3" i'm sorry...this isn't 2005. These shows are clearly irrelevant. Look at Xbox showcase in June. So much for that 1000% sales increase for Series consoles. Once the charts came out for the month there was nothing new for that console.

Spider-Man 2 had its first trailer in 2021. First gameplay trailer this year. I agree this year is kind of weird for PS5 games, but we also know they had some delays for next fiscal year. Most companies only reveal their titles way closer to theur releases than a few years ago. This isn't a Sony thing.

Consoles don't sell on "auto-pilot". Tell that to the Wii U after the Wii success or Xbox One after 360. Or PS3 after PS1 / PS2.

If Sony wasn't releasing a product appealing to an audience it wouldn't sell. Period.

If anything it shows Jim Ryan and Sony clearly know what they are doing. Add to all this the fact they are smart as hell with marketing deals to the biggest games: Fifa, COD, Fortnite, Hogwarts Legacy, the Avatar game that's coming, the exclusives FFXVI and Rebirth, etc...there's a lot of 3rd party games and IPs tied to PS brand because of deals like this. This isn't just about their studios.

Playstation had a closer relationship with PS gamers before Jim took over. Yes, it's selling great because the system is great (thanks to Mark Cerny and to the Sony engineers) and the games have been really good. But Sony seems to hate even telling us when a SoP is coming. They wait until like 2 days before the event to even let us know it's coming.

Sony used to give us a longer ramp-up. And during that wait, we'd get hyped. We barely have hype trains anymore. :(

And to people like me, I still care about a good showcase. I think they do matter, but ONLY if you have the content to sell to people. It can't be a good showcase with nothing to sell months later.

damidu

they are failing harder than xone, which is quite a feat. (not to mention while burning magnitudes more money)
as much as i hate seris s, cant imagine the bloodbath they would find themselves in without it.

I also believe Series consoles are about to fall behind Xbox One sales launch aligned worldwide...if they haven't already., right?

zeldaring

Banned

I'm not surprised. The xbox one being 50% weaker then ps4 and focusing on kinect was a massive blow to the brand. I was 360 owner and switched to playstation right after the announced specs and then after switching sony killed that gen with the much better exclusives.

That is fucking incredible. Excuse the language but yeah, that is fucking incredible.
Because XBS got outsold by Switch in revenue it has to be around 2/3 or less of what Switch sold in units assuming $310 for the average Switch purchase and $450 for the average XBS purchase.

I posted this on another thread but i'll post here as well

Playstation 4

2013: 2.00 million
2014: 4.68 million
2015: 5.72 million
2016: 5.10 million
2017: 5.42 million
2018: 5.29 million
2019: 3.83 million
2020: 2.07 million
2021: 0.60 million
2022: 0.05 million

Total: 34.76 million

Xbox One

2013: 1.82 million
2014: 4.37 million
2015: 4.93 million
2016: 4.73 million
2017: 4.28 million
2018: 4.36 million
2019: 3.04 million
2020: 1.46 million
2021: 0.01 million

Total: 29.00 million

Nintendo Switch

2017: 4.87 million
2018: 5.64 million
2019: 6.48 million
2020: 8.98 million
2021: 7.61 million
2022: 5.83 million

Total: 39.41 million

Playstation 5

2020: 1.96 million
2021: 4.28 million
2022: 5.66 million

Total: 11.90 million

Xbox Series

2020: 1.49 million
2021: 3.73 million
2022: 4.48 million

Total: 9.70 million

Credit to Astral_lion02 from InstallBase who has access to CESA 2023 white paper that has yearly NPD data from 2012 to 2022, he has very kindly shared the data

hlIPgFr.jpg

Last edited:

Blade2.0

They have to be stronger than that in the US to hit 25 million ww, the 25 million ww years on other consoles had 400k+ in the US in july
Their heavy hitters haven't even dropped yet. Spider-Man 2 in October is going to sell sell sell.

Celine

I don't have the exact final numbers but it is something like this (below), Switch will outsell them all apart from the NDS.

WII: 41.5 million
XB360: 44 million
PS2: 46.5 million
NDS: 52.5 million

NSW: 39.4 million as of 31 Dec 2022
Approximately 2.2 million in 2023 as of 31 July, Approximately 41.6 million so far
Wii is a bit higher (than 41.5M), 360 a bit lower (than 44.0M) and DS a bit higher (than 52.5M).

NSW has a good chance to become the second best selling console of all time in US.

Last edited:
Wii is a bit higher (than 41.5M), 360 a bit lower (than 44.0M) and DS a bit higher (than 52.5M).

NSW has a good chance to become the second best selling console of all time in US.
The only missing year for 360, Wii, DS and some others is 2011, Welfare from InstallBase is going to post a thread on NPD 2011 data next week because he has the numbers. So next week we will have the exact lifetime for many platforms.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Playstation had a closer relationship with PS gamers before Jim took over. Yes, it's selling great because the system is great (thanks to Mark Cerny and to the Sony engineers) and the games have been really good. But Sony seems to hate even telling us when a SoP is coming. They wait until like 2 days before the event to even let us know it's coming.

Sony used to give us a longer ramp-up. And during that wait, we'd get hyped. We barely have hype trains anymore. :(

And to people like me, I still care about a good showcase. I think they do matter, but ONLY if you have the content to sell to people. It can't be a good showcase with nothing to sell months later.
In the grand scheme, showcases are largely irrelevant. The market determines that and Sony clearly knows what they’re doing.

You might want more, but that’s a personal thing. As far as the market is concerned, PlayStation is on the right track!

mckmas8808

I also believe Series consoles are about to fall behind Xbox One sales launch aligned worldwide...if they haven't already., right?

In the grand scheme, showcases are largely irrelevant. The market determines that and Sony clearly knows what they’re doing.

You might want more, but that’s a personal thing. As far as the market is concerned, PlayStation is on the right track!

You're not wrong. But it's also something a bean counter would say. There's a reason why Apple, Nintendo, Tesla, Nvidia, etc still do large showcases. It's not irrelevant. Not at all. But it's also not all about the money. It's to capture and hold onto the total mindshare.

A great leader doesn't do things just because the market says it's okay or not. A leader leads! Does things that benefit the company that most can't understand at times

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You're not wrong. But it's also something a bean counter would say. There's a reason why Apple, Nintendo, Tesla, Nvidia, etc still do large showcases. It's not irrelevant. Not at all. But it's also not all about the money. It's to capture and hold onto the total mindshare.

A great leader doesn't do things just because the market says it's okay or not. A leader leads! Does things that benefit the company that most can't understand at times
In the larger scheme to this industry, it will not make any substantial difference. Clearly Sony recognizes this.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

In the larger scheme to this industry, it will not make any substantial difference. Clearly Sony recognizes this.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Technically you are right. Money wise they wouldn't lose anything not having showcases. But they are losing something intangible if they keep going in this direction. I don't want Playstation to become a soul-less division within Sony that just pumps out products and asks us to CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME!!!!

Have some life, some personality! It's okay Jim Ryan.

PlayStation Experience used to be fun and it meant something.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-08_at_1.40.36_PM.0.0.png

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm not disagreeing with you. Technically you are right. Money wise they wouldn't lose anything not having showcases. But they are losing something intangible if they keep going in this direction. I don't want Playstation to become a soul-less division within Sony that just pumps out products and asks us to CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME!!!!
They know what they're doing, so my concern isn't with them.

Woopah

Have some life, some personality! It's okay Jim Ryan.

PlayStation Experience used to be fun and it meant something.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-08_at_1.40.36_PM.0.0.png
From what I can tell, in-person events have not fully recovered from COVID yet (at least not in the UK.

In terms of online stuff Sony has had multiple State of Plays, and also an annual Showcase this year.

mckmas8808

From what I can tell, in-person events have not fully recovered from COVID yet (at least not in the UK.

In terms of online stuff Sony has had multiple State of Plays, and also an annual Showcase this year.

Maybe Covid is still affecting things. So I'll give you that. But Gamescom for instance. Where's Jim Ryan? Where's Playstation? Where's anybody that represents Sony? This is stupid!!!

Phil is out here doing interviews, kissing babies, and signing checks and Jim Ryan is sleep in his basement. For god's sake Sony actually had a decent week, yet NO ONE from Playstation is there to walk us through their thinking. They had.....

- Two new Playstation headsets that were officially shown to the world
- The Playstation Portal that has now been super officially released PR wise to the world
- The purchase of one of the best headphone makers on Earth now being totally under Sony's arm

Yet NO ONE seems to want to talk about any of this to us gamers? Why? Is Jim lazy? Or does he realize that Xbox is so weak, he doesn't have to try anymore?

Woopah

Maybe Covid is still affecting things. So I'll give you that. But Gamescom for instance. Where's Jim Ryan? Where's Playstation? Where's anybody that represents Sony? This is stupid!!!

Phil is out here doing interviews, kissing babies, and signing checks and Jim Ryan is sleep in his basement. For god's sake Sony actually had a decent week, yet NO ONE from Playstation is there to walk us through their thinking. They had.....

- Two new Playstation headsets that were officially shown to the world
- The Playstation Portal that has now been super officially released PR wise to the world
- The purchase of one of the best headphone makers on Earth now being totally under Sony's arm

Yet NO ONE seems to want to talk about any of this to us gamers? Why? Is Jim lazy? Or does he realize that Xbox is so weak, he doesn't have to try anymore?
The fact that you know all this Playstation news shows that they are communicating no?

I do applaud the amount of interviews Phil Spencer does but its not the norm. Jim Ryan isn't going to do an interview for each accessory or acquisition, just like Furukawa isn't.

mckmas8808

The fact that you know all this Playstation news shows that they are communicating no?

I do applaud the amount of interviews Phil Spencer does but its not the norm. Jim Ryan isn't going to do an interview for each accessory or acquisition, just like Furukawa isn't.

Yeah to me Phil is doing a bit too much when you compare what they have going on. But Jim could do better. Or better yet, how about hire someone else to be the face of Playstation Execs, if Jim isn't comfortable? I feel like if you are going to roll out marketing for PS Portal and the new PS Link headphones, somebody needs to be speaking directly to us PS Gamers about it.

noobie

Banned

I think Sony is doing more news worthy activities than MS, which is better. Having big interviews is not a requirement for the executive. As long as Sony keep giving new news every couple of week that is more important and have far reaching impact.

X360

2005:
0.61 million
2006: 3.90 million
2007: 4.62 million
2008: 4.77 million
2009: 4.74 million
2010: 6.76 million
2011: 7.28 million
2012: 5.30 million
2013: 3.07 million
2014: 1.33 million
2015: 0.57 million
2016: 0.25 million
2017: 0.02 million

Total: 43.22 million

PS3

2006:
0.69 million
2007: 2.56 million
2008: 3.54 million
2009: 4.33 million
2010: 4.33 million
2011: 4.52 million
2012: 3.41 million
2013: 2.18 million
2014: 0.75 million
2015: 0.36 million
2016: 0.19 million
2017: 0.01 million

Total: 26.87 million

Wii

2006:
1.08 million
2007: 6.29 million
2008: 10.17 million
2009: 9.59 million
2010: 7.07 million
2011: 4.53 million
2012: 1.96 million
2013: 0.81 million
2014: 0.24 million
2015: 0.04 million

Total: 41.78 million

NDS

2004:
1.23 million
2005: 2.58 million
2006: 5.32 million
2007: 8.43 million
2008: 9.95 million
2009: 11.19 million
2010: 8.58 million
2011: 3.84 million
2012: 1.98 million
2013: 0.52 million
2014: 0.10 million

Total: 53.52 million

PSP

2005:
3.63 million
2006: 3.05 million
2007: 3.82 million
2008: 3.83 million
2009: 2.49 million
2010: 1.66 million
2011: 1.21 million
2012: 0.24 million
2013: 0.13 million
2014: 0.02 million

Total: 20.08 million

I got the full yearly totals for X360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP, i have every NPD year going back to 1994. Before 1994 we have analyst estimates, i will post the full data in a chart soon going back as far as the NES and Master system.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

X360

2005:
0.61 million
2006: 3.90 million
2007: 4.62 million
2008: 4.77 million
2009: 4.74 million
2010: 6.76 million
2011: 7.28 million
2012: 5.30 million
2013: 3.07 million
2014: 1.33 million
2015: 0.57 million
2016: 0.25 million
2017: 0.02 million

Total: 43.22 million

I got the full yearly totals for X360 and have every NPD year going back to 1994, Before 1994 we have analyst estimates. I will post the full data in a chart soon going back as far as the NES and Master system.

Crazy that years 5, 6, and 7 were so good for the X360 for Xbox in America.

Woopah

Yeah to me Phil is doing a bit too much when you compare what they have going on. But Jim could do better. Or better yet, how about hire someone else to be the face of Playstation Execs, if Jim isn't comfortable? I feel like if you are going to roll out marketing for PS Portal and the new PS Link headphones, somebody needs to be speaking directly to us PS Gamers about it.
I don't think it's about being comfortable, Jim already spoke to gamers about these accessories at the annual Showcase.

To the bolded, why? Why does an executive need to do a media interview about accessories? That normally doesn't happen.

Last edited:

phant0m

Gamers mad about those top 5 for the month, right? I believe they've all been described as "shit" either here, on reddir, or the other place.

1. Remnant II is a shit game (see OT for reasons, such as "poor build diversity", not doing enough to expand from the prior title, etc)
  2. Diablo IV is a shit game of MTX hell, too repetitive, nothing to do after 100 hours
  3. MW2 is a shit game, campaign is bad, new Warzone map sucks and you gotta buy the battlepass to unlock anything good
  4. Hogwarts is a shit game, too easy, lame combat plus Rowling makes money off it
  5. FF XVI is a shit game, not turn-based and no control over party

these opinions belong to gaf, era, and reddit and are not my own

Woopah

Gamers mad about those top 5 for the month, right? I believe they've all been described as "shit" either here, on reddir, or the other place.

1. Remnant II is a shit game (see OT for reasons, such as "poor build diversity", not doing enough to expand from the prior title, etc)
  2. Diablo IV is a shit game of MTX hell, too repetitive, nothing to do after 100 hours
  3. MW2 is a shit game, campaign is bad, new Warzone map sucks and you gotta buy the battlepass to unlock anything good
  4. Hogwarts is a shit game, too easy, lame combat plus Rowling makes money off it
  5. FF XVI is a shit game, not turn-based and no control over party

these opinions belong to gaf, era, and reddit and are not my own
All games have people that don't like them. That's normal.

phant0m

All games have people that don't like them. That's normal.
Yeah, but there’s a difference between something being “not for you” and being objectively bad, which is the part most people forget.

All of these games had multiple people in the OTs deride them as being “shit” video games

Woopah

Yeah, but there’s a difference between something being “not for you” and being objectively bad, which is the part most people forget.

All of these games had multiple people in the OTs deride them as being “shit” video games
Is there any game which doesn't have multiple people saying they are shit?

Top Bottom