• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) May 2023: #1 Tears of the Kingdom; NSW #1 Units + Revenue, PS5 #2 Units + Revenue

May 2020 for Switch was 529k, it sold a bit less this May even though revenue was higher due to the more expensive Oled model. My rough guess for Hardware sales would be 450-500K NSW, 250-300K PS5, 125-150K XBS.

The upper range for Switch and lower for Xbox Series are close to all-time records for May. Most hardware units shifted in May for Switch and... lowest hardware units sold in May for Xbox Series (for an Xbox console in only it's 3rd year)?

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Kind of surprising that no one brought it up yet, but where is Redfall?

Check This Out Tom Hanks GIF

5pJpbvi.png

solidus12

"Declines in other platforms" is the standard NPD line. They use that regardless of which platforms are declining.
Got anything to back up that claim?
Of course, you have to dig deeper to find a month where PlayStation or Nintendo were dead last...

LakeOf9

TOTK is a monster, wow

With digital it might actually be the best selling game of the year. On one (six and a half year old) system

June's report is going to be even later, then things will return to normal.

Meh, they always promise they will go back to a regular schedule in a couple of months, but then delay it a few months down the line when the time comes. This has been going on since mid-2021, I just accept their reports will be very late at this point

Woopah

But they would at least say their names and have charts. Now? Nope.
Right, they stopped sharing hardware and software data at a time when MS was doing reasonably well, and now they've stopped sharing software charts for all platforms. I think its far more likely than NPD is justs# continuing the trend of keeping more and more data hidden behind its paywall, to try and boost subscribers.

Got anything to back up that claim?
Of course, you have to dig deeper to find a month where PlayStation or Nintendo were dead last...

In Jan 2018 they said :“Double-digit percentage software sales growth on the Nintendo Switch platform was offset by declines across all other platforms.”

In October 2022 they said: "Double-digit percentage dollar sales growth for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles was offset by declines on other platforms."

For whatever reason they always mention the platforms that are growing, not the ones declining.

Woopah

Did you miss the entirety of last gen and their performance as well?
We literally had this exact conversaiton in the April NPD thread haha. This was the final official hardware and software hardware chart we got from NPD with numbers, in September 2010:

Xbox 360 -- 356,700
Nintendo DS -- 342,700
Wii -- 244,300
PlayStation 3 -- 226,000
PSP -- 79,400

Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) -- 920,800
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PlayStation 3) -- 893,600
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) - 124,600
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360) -- 121,600
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) -- 110,400
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360)
NCAA Football 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360)
Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)

Do you think Microsoft wanted NPD to stop telling everyone how well they were doing?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We literally had this exact conversaiton in the April NPD thread haha. This was the final official hardware and software hardware chart we got from NPD with numbers, in September 2010:

Xbox 360 -- 356,700
Nintendo DS -- 342,700
Wii -- 244,300
PlayStation 3 -- 226,000
PSP -- 79,400

Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) -- 920,800
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PlayStation 3) -- 893,600
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) - 124,600
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360) -- 121,600
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) -- 110,400
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360)
NCAA Football 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360)
Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)

Do you think Microsoft wanted NPD to stop telling everyone how well they were doing?
MS themselves still released numbers until changing it to MAU sometime after 2013/14. That's the point.

Woopah

MS themselves still released numbers until changing it to MAU sometime after 2013/14. That's the point.
Well exactly. Given that MS themselves kept releasing number for years afterwards, it is very unlikely that Microsoft was the reason NPD became more secretive.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well exactly. Given that MS themselves kept releasing number for years afterwards, it is very unlikely that Microsoft was the reason NPD became more secretive.
I don't think it was just MS no, but I do feel it was mainly American companies that use the service.

TOTK is a monster, wow

With digital it might actually be the best selling game of the year. On one (six and a half year old) system

Meh, they always promise they will go back to a regular schedule in a couple of months, but then delay it a few months down the line when the time comes. This has been going on since mid-2021, I just accept their reports will be very late at this point

Yeah I did wonder as this report is 6 weeks since their last almost, they need to keep to 4 weeks regularity.

Woopah

I don't think it was just MS no, but I do feel it was mainly American companies that use the service.
Its anyone that is in the gaming market or wants to invest in the gaming market. US numbers are improtant for far more than just US companies.

But those companies want more data, not less. NPD put their data behind a paywall to persuade more companies subscribe.

Last edited:
We finally have Xbox sales data and its shipment as well! From the court docs RX 5054. Keystone is a consultancy MSFT paid for anti-trust work,
Sales for CYQ4 (Oct 1 - Dec 31):
Screenshot-2023-06-29-at-00-36-11.png

Xbox got destroyed last holiday, we already knew but now we have confirmation.

NSW: 8.22m (44.4%)
PS4: 7.10m (38.3%)
XBS: 3.20m (17.3%)

yazenov

We finally have Xbox sales data and its shipment as well! From the court docs RX 5054. Keystone is a consultancy MSFT paid for anti-trust work,

PS5 more than double Xbox unit sales even when Sony was facing supply issues. 2023 will be even more dominant. 3x is looking more likely.

We already know that 2023 is worst for Xbox since its in a decline from last year.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Sony selling 69% of all high-end HD consoles to Xbox's 31% during the 4th quarter of 2022 is INSANE!!!! I think we've gotten to the point where we have all forgotten that Sony raised the price of the PS5 in many countries and it's still selling like this.

What will happen to XB Series sells when their console price hikes goes into effect?

Woopah

After 32 months on the market in the US, PS5 is the 2nd fasting selling PlayStation platform and possibly the 4th or 5th fastest selling overall.

belmarduk

Great to see the only two games I've bought in 2023 as #1 and #2 on both charts!
Hogwarts Legacy has some great legs and deservedly so!
I wonder if you can post NPD on ResetEra?

Top Bottom