• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) October 2023: #1 Spider-Man 2 #2 Super Mario Wonder #3 AC Mirage; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, NSW #2 Units, XBS #2 Revenue

its crazy that xbox one had everything going against it and still managed to outsell the xbox series which had the most powerful console AND the cheapest console.

I guess specs and price werent really the problem with the xbox brand. Maybe it was the games.

But then again they had the games this year, and it didnt really matter. I wonder if releasing day one on PC is hurting their xbox sales?

Day one on PC with gamepass?

Maybe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Phil can’t keep blaming Mattrick

He’s doing worse than XBO disaster

Time to look in the mirror and make a change
Funny thing is that the reason why X1 is outselling the XS is because of Don's strong lineup of exclusives at launch and for the first three years.

Ryse
  1. Forza 5
  2. Killer Instinct
  3. Titanfall
  4. Forza Horizon 2
  5. Sunset Overdrive
  6. Halo 5 Guardians
  7. Quantum Break

Phil had:
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Forza Horizon 5
  3. Starfield
  4. Hifi Rush
  5. Redfall
  6. Forza 8
Decent third year but the first couple of years were completely empty especially considering Halo and Forza were cross gen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don Mattrick redeemed
dmc4ios2.gif

Funny thing is that the reason why X1 is outselling the XS is because of Don's strong lineup of exclusives at launch and for the first three years.

Ryse
  1. Forza 5
  2. Killer Instinct
  3. Titanfall
  4. Forza Horizon 2
  5. Sunset Overdrive
  6. Halo 5 Guardians
  7. Quantum Break

Phil had:
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Forza Horizon 5
  3. Starfield
  4. Hifi Rush
  5. Redfall
  6. Forza 8
Decent third year but the first couple of years were completely empty especially considering Halo and Forza were cross gen.

Games matter. And the studios he’s acquiring aren’t cutting it.

Starfield is a huge disappointment critically and commercially. They have nothing close to that sort of game waiting to release in the years to come either.

I think it’s impossible to gatekeep AAA type games off PS5 and still be successful. Phil really needs to start considering going third party.

Shows you precisely why they were so desperate to acquire Activision and Bethesda…but if they aren’t making their biggest IP in CoD exclusive, what’s the point of making any of it exclusive?

Phil’s strategy makes zero sense

Last edited:

Hardensoul

This is only consoles right? Because Diablo IV is low for yearly and no Bulgar’s Gate.

FF16 bomb? For being low on the yearly chart!

Last edited:

GHG

Ryse
  1. Forza 5
  2. Killer Instinct
  3. Titanfall
  4. Forza Horizon 2
  5. Sunset Overdrive
  6. Halo 5 Guardians
  7. Quantum Break

Phil had:
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Forza Horizon 5
  3. Starfield
  4. Hifi Rush
  5. Redfall
  6. Forza 8

You'd think that the guy who was promoted from being head of first party to head of Xbox would know a thing or two about how to build great gaming studios, fostering the development of high quality games and sustaining a high quality pipeline.

But alas...

Last edited:
You'd think that the guy who was promoted from being head of first party to head of Xbox would know a thing or two about how to build great gaming studios, fostering the development of high quality games and sustaining a high quality pipeline.

But alas...

The only thing Phil is good at is sucking up to a boss that doesn’t understand or care much about his division and convincing him to keep shoveling an ocean of cash down the drain

Never seen somebody so bad continue to stay in that high of a position

SlimySnake

Games matter. And the studios he’s acquiring aren’t cutting it.

Starfield is a huge disappointment critically and commercially. They have nothing close to that sort of game waiting to release in the years to come either.

I think it’s impossible to gatekeep AAA type games off PS5 and still be successful. Phil really needs to start considering going third party.

Shows you precisely why they were so desperate to acquire Activision and Bethesda…but if they aren’t making their biggest IP in CoD exclusive, what’s the point of making any of it exclusive?

Phil’s strategy makes zero sense
Nah, they were buying cod to put sony out of business. The 10 year deal has just kicked that down the road but thats the ultimate goal.

I think Starfield and Forza sales will probably have them reevaluate their decision though. But a lot of these guys are knee deep into gamepass and will try and pretend that gamepass numbers will offset the lost sales.

Honestly, any other exec wouldve lost his job over these sales but Phil keeps getting promotions so there is something really odd with how MS views its gaming business. Either they know something we dont or Phil has some dirty pics on all of the top level execs over at microsoft getting them to spend almost a hundred billion in cash with virtually no return whatsoever. spiderman 2 outselling starfield is not a good look. gamepass or not.

GHG

The only thing Phil is good at is sucking up to a boss that doesn’t understand or care much about his division and convincing him to keep shoveling an ocean of cash down the drain

Never seen somebody so bad continue to stay in that high of a position

The worst thing about it is the fact that he's had so much time (more time than anyone else would ever get) to improve the way he approaches things and the situation, and yet here we are in 2023 and he's out here doing apology emails/interviews saying he's "still learning".

He's got the luxury of being in a C-Suite position while haphazardly learning on the job at the world's 2nd largest company. It's laughable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But alas...
Whats funny is that Bungie left when he was at the head of xbox first party. he also let peter molyneux leave and despite Peter's lies, he still produced a somewhat decent Fable 3. After he left, Lionhead never made a good game again. Even rare made the great Banjo, but then Phil had them work on kinect trash then they've been making sea of thieves since.

I think he was never good at being the head of first party. I know that Don had to go but they promoted the wrong guy and then have stuck with him for the last 10 years despite poor results. Despite spending close to a hundred BILLION dollars.

They shouldve snatched up ex Sony execs like Jack Tretton, Shawn Layden and Andrew House as soon as they became available. These guys had done it before and had years of experience being on top. Shocking they have stuck with phil for so long.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The worst thing about it is the fact that he's had so much time (more time than anyone else would ever get) to improve the way he approaches things and the situation, and yet here we are in 2023 and he's out here doing apology emails/interviews saying he's "still learning".

He's got the luxury of being in a C-Suite position while haphazardly learning on the job at the world's 2nd largest company. It's laughable.
It pays to be a lifer in MSs exec frat culture. Only the non-lifers were expendable.

Spencer was intern'd and bred within the MS EEE paradigm.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Ryse
  1. Forza 5
  2. Killer Instinct
  3. Titanfall
  4. Forza Horizon 2
  5. Sunset Overdrive
  6. Halo 5 Guardians
  7. Quantum Break
i think its more likely the momentum from 360 that carried. realistically how many of those games are you going to replay today? Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive are classics sure, and I've heard a lot of good things about Killer Instinct. But realistically who wants to play fucking Halo 5? Or Forza 5???

Hardensoul

BG3 isn’t included because Larian doesn’t provide them data, Diablo would include everything since there’s no asterisk saying it’s missing anything
I don’t think so, don’t think Activision release Battle.Net numbers for Diablo 4. Because press release of the first 5 days was $666m for Diablo 4 sales. That’s about 10mill copies this is in June. Games could be much more now!

Edit: Damnit this is US only and Revenue list! Sorry!

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Spiderman going all the way up to #4 for the year after just ten days on sale is something else. CRAZY that sony made HFW, GT7 and GOW Ragnorak cross gen. Spiderman 2 might not be pushing matrix quality visuals but it has its next gen holy shit moments thanks to the ps5 ssd and cpu. Hope Sony learns from this going into PS6.

F--w0lmbYAEqhZa
In hindsight, I think Sony never intended to make all those games cross-platform.

I think its COVID-19's fault and the supply issues that followed. There were just not enough PS5s to ship out, so there was now that PS5 alone could sustain SIE.

In hindsight, I think Sony never intended to make all those games cross-platform.

I think its COVID-19's fault and the supply issues that followed. There were just not enough PS5s to ship out, so there was now that PS5 alone could sustain SIE.

Given that they re-use significant assets from their predecessors, I don't think that is the case

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Phil really needs to start considering going third party.
this is the weird thing here. Yeah. Xbox going third party is a legitimate future at this point. But even if it does what will change? they won't have a console anymore?

Let's look at Sega. They made an actually good, thoughtful buyout in Atlus, and then began developing the brand strength of Sonic (through multimedia such as movies), Yakuza, and Persona, their main bread and butter, as well as commissioning indie studios to revive their older IP like Streets of Rage and Wonder Boy.

They've still a ways to go but they're making themselves relevant in the gaming space again, taking major steps to improve their brand image. Will MS even do anything like that if they ever threw the console out the window? Removing the console still leaves them with the dozen studios they can't manage.

If MS went third party they'd sell just as badly on Playstation and Nintendo as they do now. Nobody wants to pay 60-70 dollars for an underdelivering mediocre game like Forza 2023 or Starfield or Redfall or most of the AAA stuff they produce. Removing Xbox (and therefore basically their main market for Gamepass) will probably exaggerate that even more when we see what these games sell without the Gamepass crutch.

Last edited:
this is the weird thing here. Yeah. Xbox going third party is a legitimate future at this point. But even if it does what will change? they won't have a console anymore?

Let's look at Sega. They made an actually good, thoughtful buyout in Atlus, and then began developing the brand strength of Sonic (through multimedia such as movies), Yakuza, and Persona, their main bread and butter, as well as commissioning indie studios to revive their older IP like Streets of Rage and Wonder Boy.

They've still a ways to go but they're making themselves relevant in the gaming space again, taking major steps to improve their brand image. Will MS even do anything like that if they ever threw the console out the window? Removing the console still leaves them with the dozen studios they can't manage.

If MS went third party they'd sell just as badly on Playstation and Nintendo as they do now. Nobody wants to pay 60-70 dollars for an underdelivering mediocre game like Forza 2023 or Starfield or Redfall or most of the AAA stuff they produce. Removing Xbox (and therefore basically their main market for Gamepass) will probably exaggerate that even more when we see what these games sell without the Gamepass crutch.

Yeah the root problem is game quality, but being exclusive to a platform that doesn’t sell just makes it worse

Even if they make a big hit, everyone has moved on to ps5 so hardly anyone will buy an Xbox to play it

PS5 is just too big to ignore at this point

Last edited:

After some initial profit by bringing a number of catalog titles to PlayStation and maybe Switch and Switch 2, I don't see how they sustain profitability as they currently exist.

Halo MCC, Gears of War Trilogy, and honestly that's pretty much it. Like you said, I don't think Starfield will do that well at this point. Neither would Hi-Fi Rush.

Without an Xbox platform to push their games, they'll compete as generic 3rd party games and their games were already on PC.

With the direction of ABK and Zenimax, I think we'll see layoffs, studio closures, and eventually divestment from a lot of Microsoft's studios.

Mr.Phoenix

Forza at number 17 is simply disastrous. Same with that Starfield drop. Phil and the rest of Xbox management need to collectively retire. The amount of surefire shots they've wasted this gen is shocking. They can't survive many more of these letdowns.
I don't think letdowns is the way to describe it. this, all of this, is exactly what they should have expected considering the choices they have made. So in a sense, we can even say it's all going to plan.

Reiring should only be on the table if gamepass, which is the bet they have hinged their fates on, is not doing well.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Even if they make a big hit, everyone has moved on to ps5
If they make a big hit it will reflect in the console sales and in the mindshare. simple as.

The root cause of everything comes back to games. Just make the games better even if that means upending the entire fucking management and starting from scratch. Going third party doesn't save a failing division from failing. Eventually then they'll start laying off more people, leaving many employees without a job, and then eventually close down more studios like double fine and Ninja Theory, before Microsoft's entire gaming divison (besides maybe DirectX) is a giant memory.

Last edited:
Yeah the root problem is game quality, but being exclusive to a platform that doesn’t sell just makes it worse

Even if they make a big hit, everyone has moved on to ps5 so hardly anyone will buy an Xbox to play it

PS5 is just too big to ignore at this point

Think about the nature of a hit game that really moves the needle.

Pokemon
Halo
Final Fantasy 7
Grand Theft Auto 3

These types of games don't exist anymore, because games are too expensive and gaming is too big for many games to really redefine genres so much that they can really move hardware.

The closest things we get to that are Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, but Microsoft doesn't have the vision to let games like that cook.

Microsoft saw that Sony was out there looking like Marvel with their first-party games and they pulled a DC. They need games to come out every year and they need them to be hits, but by rushing the process and putting so much pressure on the process, these games generally end up as duds.

You don't even find games like Nintendogs now that really push the needle.

I mean it basically boils down to for a lot of the Xbox evangelists their worldview is Xbox = good, anything non-Xbox = bad 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not quite. Anything PlayStation = bad. They'll leverage PC and Nintendo at random if it means taking digs at PlayStation.

But the really funny thing today has been seeing some of the Nintendo fanboys/fangirls get worked up over Spiderman 2 outselling Super Mario Wonder (and I'm sure, soon, it outscoring Super Mario RPG Remake on Metacritic). It's all good until a Nintendo game gets outdone in sales; that's when they start taking it personally 🤣

I don't think letdowns is the way to describe it. this, all of this, is exactly what they should have expected considering the choices they have made. So in a sense, we can even say it's all going to plan.

Reiring should only be on the table if gamepass, which is the bet they have hinged their fates on, is not doing well.

GamePass isn't doing well. They thought it would grow even after the pandemic, but subscription services are seen with a new lens. The vast majority of people who will ever subscribe to GamePass have already done it. It'll be a miracle if they can even sustain their numbers, but growth is over.

I expect within 6 months we'll see the first decline in GamePass numbers if Microsoft even publishes them. The only thing that might save that from happening is CoD being included in GamePass for free, but that's going to destroy CoD faster than EA paying billions of dollars for NFL exclusivity has destroyed the quality of Madden. The difference here is that another game doesn't need a license to compete with CoD.

Not quite. Anything PlayStation = bad. They'll leverage PC and Nintendo at random if it means taking digs at PlayStation.

But the really funny thing today has been seeing some of the Nintendo fanboys/fangirls get worked up over Spiderman 2 outselling Super Mario Wonder (and I'm sure, soon, it outscoring Super Mario RPG Remake on Metacritic). It's all good until a Nintendo game gets outdone in sales; that's when they start taking it personally 🤣

It's unreal considering that Nintendo Switch userbase is much larger than PS5 being 3 years 1/2 older hardware

in the last 10 years, we had Minecraft, PUBG and Fortnite. Unless you mean console exclusives in which case, we still have BOTW and TOTK as genuine system sellers

Yes, I'm talking about games that redefine the console (not PC) space AND sell units.

BOTW sold well, not sure if it fits the category I described. You look at Mario Kart and it has sold more units than BOTW. TOTK certainly isn't a historic system seller. It'll sell less than BOTW.

BOTW might fit it might not.

SlimySnake

Just tried remote play on my Ipad and it runs really well. Paired it up with my dualsense so now there is no need to buy the PS Portal especially since its not using any new tech to make it work better than the tech being used in the Ipad remote play app.

I think both MS and Sony are idiots for releasing their games on PC and just dilluting their brands with these streaming apps. I had the portal preordered and only reason why i dont have it is because gamestop missed its shipment. now im going to cancel it because there is literally no reason to keep it thanks to them making it available on fucking Ipads and iphones using the DualSense no less.

X1 is 11% behind but Sony is only 14% up. The PS4 was a massive success that shouldve been a springboard for huge PS5 sales, and all they could do was an extra 14%? especially with Nintendo MIA this gen in the console space, and Xbox being down 11%? I dont know if this is a massive win for Sony either, and I wonder if the PC focus and cross gen releases has affected them just like it has Micorosft. hard to say for certain without looking at data, but i have not been investing as much in the sony and ms ecosystems and i know for sure im not the only one.

Those decisions were made in 2017 and 2018 when Horizon 1, GT Sports, and GOW 2018 launched. I think covid just delayed those games out of their 2021 release dates, and shortages didnt impact much seeing as how PS5 was basically on par with the PS4 for the first 11 months or so before the shortage briefly affected PS4 sales. If you look at the leaked sales for last year, sony had the supply chain fixed by may of 2022 anyway. Now the PS5 is ahead of the PS4 same time last gen.

it's not like Sony looked at the shortages in 2021 and early 2022, and made Forspoken, FF16 and Spidemran 2 cross gen. They knew it was only a matter of time.

Just like MS, i think their decision to make those games cross gen is why they are struggling to get those casual gamers to buy these consoles this year when they are finally available. All these bundles and discounts a few months after raising prices to $550 is proof that these idiots conditioned these late adopters into waiting even longer and now that they have played the 3 big PS franchises on their PS4, they feel no need to upgrade. Especially since Spiderman 2 is the only big sony first party game for the foreseeable future. Who knows when Horizon 3, TLOU2 and GOW3 come out on PS5.

At least Sony still seems to be selling these, but i wonder if bundling their big AAA games in for free is costing them more. The CoD bundle is $499 which means they are paying Activision at least $50 for each bundle. Subtract another $50 for the retailer cut. Is $399 enough to make a profit on consoles three years in especially with no node shrink? It seems like they are hell bent on hitting that 25 million target which is fine, but if they had more first party games like spiderman 2 this year they wouldnt have had to bundle in games.

If they make a big hit it will reflect in the console sales and in the mindshare. simple as.

Microsoft? It still won't do much for console because all of their games are Day 1 on PC. PC cannibalizes into console market, that's more evident than ever with Xbox. Even Jim Ryan has admitted the two compete with each other (whether Sony adjusts their PC strategy to reflect that is another topic).

The root cause of everything comes back to games. Just make the games better even if that means upending the entire fucking management and starting from scratch. Going third party doesn't save a failing division from failing. Eventually then they'll start laying off more people, leaving many employees without a job, and then eventually close down more studios like double fine and Ninja Theory, before Microsoft's entire gaming divison (besides maybe DirectX) is a giant memory.

Microsoft has released good games, even great games, over the years. I would never deny that. The problem is they haven't had anything that's also appealing to the larger mainstream audiences. Flight Simulator is extremely niche because the hobby of flying planes is very niche, magnitudes more so than racing cars (which is relatively popular, especially tuner car culture). Pentiment is a great game (I'm assuming), but it's a 2D RPG with an artstyle that doesn't immediately catch the eye of most gamers and doesn't fit aesthetic of most popular Western or Japanese 2D works.

Forza Horizon 5 is a solid game but probably too in the middle of a sim and arcade racer to fully tap into either side, plus content-wise it was mostly an expansion over FH4. Also, people just don't care about cars the way they do actual people, or anthropomorphic characters. A massive reason MS even did the Zenimax & ABK purchases was to buy exactly the kind of games with mass-market, mainstream appeal they failed to either create in-house or failed to retain properly (Halo, Gears).

But, Microsoft have to cultivate that IP after purchasing it, and they have the worst creative leadership at the upper levels of the three platform holders...by a considerable margin. That doesn't look like it'll be changing much anytime soon, and now they've got contracts tying up certain IP as multiplat for a decade which will hold them back in maximizing those IP for teir own gaming ecosystem that much longer. Who honestly knows how relevant COD will be to the market in 10 years, if MW3 is any indication to go by :/

It's unreal considering that Nintendo Switch userbase is much larger than PS5 being 3 years 1/2 older hardware

Normally I'd just put that aside considering larger install base doesn't automatically mean more sales for a game on that platform. However, this is a Mario game, and the similar 2D one on Wii sold like gangbusters. Switch has been performing more like the Wii sales-wise (but much healthier tail-end sales) so I guess the expectation is Wonder would be doing numbers like the Wii & DS 2.5D Mario games.

However, it's worth knowing this is still the biggest debut for a Mario game ever sales-wise, globally speaking, and Nintendo's games tend to have very healthy legs. I just think the gargantuan sales of IP like the recent Zelda games, or Pokemon, or even the Mario spinoff games (Mario Kart, Smash Bros.) have skewed people's perceptions on the sales pace typical Mario games sell at. I guess those ones would be more slow-and-steady types, but I'm not concerned for its long-term sales at all.

Still tho it's just funny seeing some of the Nintendo mega-fans getting bent out of shape over the sales results, even with digital included. Some of them never thought or wanted a Sony 1P title to outsell a Nintendo 1P one especially as big an IP as Mario. But, c'mon, it's Nicheman 🤣

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Given that they re-use significant assets from their predecessors, I don't think that is the case
were always going to do that. Even Spiderman 2 which is PS5 exclusive is using a lto of assets from the OG games.

And this isn't even about the technical nature of the games per se, but more about what having those games as exclusives could have done for the PS5.

were always going to do that. Even Spiderman 2 which is PS5 exclusive is using a lto of assets from the OG games.

And this isn't even about the technical nature of the games per se, but more about what having those games as exclusives could have done for the PS5.

Ironically, I think we're going to see the diluting of generations moving forward, especially with PS5 Pro.

Console gaming is moving to be more like PC gaming in this sense. The games are extremely scalable and outside of having an SSD, there aren't many technical reasons why most games can't be released on PS5 and PS4.

PS5 will be even more scalable to PS6 than 4 was to PS5.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The problem is they haven't had anything that's also appealing to the larger mainstream audiences.
the thing is that they do. The games that have the most potential are also the ones that they bungle the most.

Starfield COULD have been a genuine seller if it weren't so painfully mediocre
Halo Infinite COULD have retained its launch hype if it had more content.
Forza Motorsport COULD have been a return to form for the motorsport side of the franchise if it did both of the above.

These are the most appealing games they could have had in their lineup. Bethesda has mass appeal thanks to their RPG prowess, Halo is a household name even despite the 10 years of mismanagement, Forza was beloved as a car game even if it was not as popular as GT, they did something new with Forza in Horizon and now it's probably Xbox's most successful game (that isn't Minecraft).

They all failed because they were all shit. I don't see how people try to tie it into some inherent thing that Xbox will never succeed even if they make good games.

It's as simple as making good games. Hi-Fi Rush had people speaking good about MS for the first time in forever. That exact philosophy of quality is how they had the leg up in the 360 generation. Sega for fucks sake was literally nothing, then they came out blasing with the Genesis early 90s lineup, all because they had the games to compete with Nintendo (at least in the 16 bit era). Previous competition and previous data suggest the obvious that games are simply the main thing that get you on the map. They are not everything, but Microsoft already has everything besides game lineup covered. It's like owning a nice car in Amsterdam or Tokyo. It's nice. It has a great engine. really good comfy seats and interior. What roads can I drive it on?

Last edited:
Just tried remote play on my Ipad and it runs really well. Paired it up with my dualsense so now there is no need to buy the PS Portal especially since its not using any new tech to make it work better than the tech being used in the Ipad remote play app.

I think both MS and Sony are idiots for releasing their games on PC and just dilluting their brands with these streaming apps. I had the portal preordered and only reason why i dont have it is because gamestop missed its shipment. now im going to cancel it because there is literally no reason to keep it thanks to them making it available on fucking Ipads and iphones using the DualSense no less.

X1 is 11% behind but Sony is only 14% up. The PS4 was a massive success that shouldve been a springboard for huge PS5 sales, and all they could do was an extra 14%? especially with Nintendo MIA this gen in the console space, and Xbox being down 11%? I dont know if this is a massive win for Sony either, and I wonder if the PC focus and cross gen releases has affected them just like it has Micorosft. hard to say for certain without looking at data, but i have not been investing as much in the sony and ms ecosystems and i know for sure im not the only one.

Those decisions were made in 2017 and 2018 when Horizon 1, GT Sports, and GOW 2018 launched. I think covid just delayed those games out of their 2021 release dates, and shortages didnt impact much seeing as how PS5 was basically on par with the PS4 for the first 11 months or so before the shortage briefly affected PS4 sales. If you look at the leaked sales for last year, sony had the supply chain fixed by may of 2022 anyway. Now the PS5 is ahead of the PS4 same time last gen.

it's not like Sony looked at the shortages in 2021 and early 2022, and made Forspoken, FF16 and Spidemran 2 cross gen. They knew it was only a matter of time.

Just like MS, i think their decision to make those games cross gen is why they are struggling to get those casual gamers to buy these consoles this year when they are finally available. All these bundles and discounts a few months after raising prices to $550 is proof that these idiots conditioned these late adopters into waiting even longer and now that they have played the 3 big PS franchises on their PS4, they feel no need to upgrade. Especially since Spiderman 2 is the only big sony first party game for the foreseeable future. Who knows when Horizon 3, TLOU2 and GOW3 come out on PS5.

At least Sony still seems to be selling these, but i wonder if bundling their big AAA games in for free is costing them more. The CoD bundle is $499 which means they are paying Activision at least $50 for each bundle. Subtract another $50 for the retailer cut. Is $399 enough to make a profit on consoles three years in especially with no node shrink? It seems like they are hell bent on hitting that 25 million target which is fine, but if they had more first party games like spiderman 2 this year they wouldnt have had to bundle in games.

Sony releasing on PC is genius and something they should have done sooner. The benefits of increased software sales far outweigh any losses in hardware based on the way Sony is doing this with staggering releases.

Not sure how you can look at the size of 3rd party publishers who are valued higher than SIE and say that releasing their games on PC is a mistake. It's easy money.

And there is no way Sony is paying 50 dollars for CoD Bundles. That would make no sense for them. They would have made a deal for a discounted rate. My guess is it would be closer to 25-30 dollars and part of the overall marketing and royalties deal.

There is a reason why they aren't selling the stand alone PS5 for 450 during black friday. If they were just taking a 50-dollar loss, it would be a no-brainer to do that.

Woopah

This is only consoles right? Because Diablo IV is low for yearly and no Bulgar’s Gate.

FF16 bomb? For being low on the yearly chart!
BG3 doesn't have digital included (so it's nothing) and Diablo doesn't have PC.

FF16 didn't bomb, it just did normal FF numbers
PlayStation 5 might end 2023 at ~20M LT in the US.

Needs 3.9M across November & December.
If they can get over 3 million that would be a fantastic result. 3.9 million will be a bit too much I think.

NEbeast

What kind of doofy ass accusatory nonsense are you on? 😂

Take your corny “cry harder” console war energy to Twitter where it belongs. I liked Starfield a good bit, but it’s not even in my top 5 this year.

It’s not my fault people like you can’t handle a differing opinion without making swooping assumptions about people, haha.

Y’all are wild 😄👌🏼
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

BG3 doesn't have digital included (so it's nothing) and Diablo doesn't have PC.

FF16 didn't bomb, it just did normal FF numbers

If they can get over 3 million that would be a fantastic result. 3.9 million will be a bit too much I think.
Last year was 1.33 million for both months for 2.66 million, this is unusual because December is usually much bigger than November. Another 1.3m for November would be very good and PS5 must be looking to sell 1.8m in December.

KingT731

Just a theory, but I've always thought the number of 360s sold were due to double and triple counting sales due to red ring of death. The period in time where 360 started to really sell more than the PS3 didn't really make much sense as it was when Ps3 was starting to hit its stride with games. These games sold significantly better than anything that was sold on the 360 despite the "larger" userbase.

Where do we know the 360 didn't outsell the PS3? In Europe, where the warranty laws are more stringent.
the 360s numbers were/will always be in question especially since the software sales don't line up in any way for a console that sold 80M+

Top Bottom