• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) August 2023 - PS5 (#1 for both), XBS (#2 for both), Switch #3 | Madden 24 #1, Armored Core 6 #2, Remnant 2 #3

Deerock71

hNjJEOH.png

crushed noo GIF
She's just waiting...
Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Last years Monthly results for reference: PS5 was 341k and XBS 251k for August 2022, Switch monthly numbers for 2022 were not leaked. Next month the PS5 will do well to match September 2022 because it was almost 500k which is absolutely huge.

2022 Monthly Sales (NPD)

PS5XBS
Jan369k307k
Feb128k261k
Mar282k489k
Apr234k267k
May119k177k
Jun277k260k
Jul301k247k
Aug341k251k
Sep494k288k
Oct456k261k
Nov1328k730k
Dec1331k942k
Total5660k4480k

2022 Yearly sales (NPD)

2022LTD
NSW5.830.00039.410.000
PS55.660.00011.900.000
XBS4.480.0009.700.000
PS450.00034.760.000

Last edited:

MrA

- Switch is in decline and declines by double digits (in August)
- There's nothing as big as TOTK on the horizon
- Switch 2 not releasing for over another 12 months??

Make it make sense.
few games are anywhere near totk, and a new Mario is coming out, don't forget how big those actually are
Mario w0onder has been pre-ordered more than spiderman on amazon in the US in the past 30 days (and both have been up for pre-order since June) so nintendo has 1 more major shot with that along with several more strong releases, mario rpg, luigi's mansion 2hd, and that peach game (looked neat but can't remember the name) should all be multi-million sellers as well should hold it up till march when nintendo will most likely announce the switch successor, if we're lucky they won't go for a crowded november release (nintendo's release history is fairly unpredictable,3ds and switch both released after the holiday rush (the ds probably would have as well if sony didn't make them flinch with the psp) maybe we'll see a summer release

ByWatterson

What's weird is that the appeared to be doing everything right in the beginning. Most power console and cheapest console plus gamepass. It seemed like a winning combination. Then this happened.

No idea what they did wrong. People say games but even the competition had issues in the beginning and they managed to do fine.

It is that simple, though. Series X is a great console with great drop-in games like Halo and Bethesda back-compact titles. But it doesn't have blockbusters.

Delays notwithstanding, PS5 has had Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, GT7, Horizon FW, God of War Ragnarok, Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us Part I, and FFXVI. Not everyone is into all of these, but Sony seems to have a blockbuster exclusive for everyone. For your Madden/COD people, even the exclusives they don't buy make PS5 the "it" console.

It was game over more than a year ago.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Immortals of Aveum is #26 top selling game in August, per Grubb.

That's really bad for a brand new EA game. No wonder they laid off half the staff, the game has bombed incredibly hard.
It was basically a shadow drop. No hype, basically no commercial, I didn't expect anything else tbh.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Xbox selling less than Xbox One over the first three years is shocking. Its a huge fuck up considering the fact that the XBox One iteself was a huge fuck up.

I can understand the first two years. Covid, shortages, but to trail the xbox one in the third year? WTF. How does one keep his job after his predecessor lost his job over the xbox one fuck up?

Especially after releasing a console $200 cheaper than the xbox one. Honestly, this year is going to be a bloodbath unless starfield manages to turn things around.
I didnt really pay attention to that chart until this post....and started looking at PS4 and PS5 numbers in comparison to XBO. Sheiiit.

I thought at one point the Xbox Series was outselling the XBO.

Woopah

PS5 price cut has had the desired effect, makes it more likely Sony cna hit their fiscal target (and September/October should also be huge for them). Also greta to see smaller franchsies like Armoured Core, Pikmin and Remnant doing rrally really well.

- Switch is in decline and declines by double digits (in August)
- There's nothing as big as TOTK on the horizon
- Switch 2 not releasing for over another 12 months??

Make it make sense.

The way I would make sense of it is:
  • Switch can decline by double digits for the whole year and still be noticeably above what PS4 did in 2019.
  • The various bundles + Mario Wonder should give Switch a solid final holiday
  • From the latest Eurogamer report, Nintendo would like to launch Switch 2 earlier if everything is ready

Xbox selling less than Xbox One over the first three years is shocking. Its a huge fuck up considering the fact that the XBox One iteself was a huge fuck up.

I can understand the first two years. Covid, shortages, but to trail the xbox one in the third year? WTF. How does one keep his job after his predecessor lost his job over the xbox one fuck up?

Especially after releasing a console $200 cheaper than the xbox one. Honestly, this year is going to be a bloodbath unless starfield manages to turn things around.
Xbox One in its first three years was not a huge fuck up in the US. It sold pretty well.

Unknown?

Xbox One started out with decent exclusives. Series just had its first decent one. Despite shortages, people who couldn't get one could see what was going on.

Xbox One started out with decent exclusives. Series just had its first decent one. Despite shortages, people who couldn't get one could see what was going on.
Yup Xbox one early on was great I didn't have any buyers remorse but my Series X purchase felt like a waste of money I could've kept my one x for the better part of this generation but got caught up in the power hype

Gambit2483

Japan is carrying Switch at the moment.

August
U.S - 200k est.
JP - 334k Famitsu sales from 31 July to 28 August
But for how long? Without a major release I can see sales completely plummeting off a cliff in every region by March/April.

Gamecube and 3DS ports are not going to carry this declining aged system for a full year. What the absolute fuck is Nintendo thinking (if Switch 2 launches next holiday)??

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I guess Madden will never see improvements, since the general football crowd keeps buying this absolute crap. Wasn't there a thread this this was make or break for Madden, I am guessing that's by $ and not customer rating scores. So i guess it's a 'make' and we can expect this trash to conitnue. Depressing.

If both PS5 and XBS are flat with Sep to Dec 2022 then full year sales for 2023 will be around 7.04 million for PS5 and 3.89 million for XBS. I expect PS5 and XBS to be a bit higher though. PS5 can make big gains in December and XBS can't really do any worse than 2022's November and December.

Top Bottom