• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) July 2023: #1 Remnant II, #6 Pikmin 4; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, Switch #2 Units + Revenue

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gonna be interesting to see how consoles sales go when we in a full blown recession in 1 year or 2. walmart, target, and homedepot saying they have a record amount of theft.

Unemployment is at record lows in America and wages have been going up in America for months. Not sure a recession is coming.

US YTD (July)
2023 PS5 ∼ 2.95 m
2002 PS2 2.91 m
2016 PS4 1.74 m

Sony cut PS2 price in May 2002 from $299 to $199.

The PS5 is insane! At $500, it's outdoing the PS2 in its 3rd year in America and we still don't know everything Playstation is working on, because Jim Ryan hates to talk.

MrA

Banned
And your saying it isn't doing well in the US?
Not at all in my first post I said it was a solid performance, but sony clearly doesn't want solid (20+ million units) they want record breaking hence why we're seeing discounts, if sony was happy selling 20 million this year they wouldn't be running discounts, they want 25 million and if that requires sacrificing some profit on hardware they're willing to take that hit

Not at all in my first post I said it was a solid performance, but sony clearly doesn't want solid (20+ million units) they want record breaking hence why we're seeing discounts, if sony was happy selling 20 million this year they wouldn't be running discounts, they want 25 million and if that requires sacrificing some profit on hardware they're willing to take that hit

Either way I don't think the numbers will be bad. But your right that it's much better for them if they break record's. At least they aren't going through a PS3/X1/Series/Wii U like gen when it comes to sales.

Woopah

And they are selling like hot cakes so....

Thanks,. So yeah....they have plenty of time.
And your saying it isn't doing well in the US?
I don't think anyone is saying that it definitely won't hit the target, just that it needs to perform better than it was up untiil the end of July to do so.

This is something Sony recognises and is addressing.

Welfare from InstallBase estimates

PS5: 260K
NSW: 250K
XBS: 150K
Much much closer between Switch and PS5 than I would have thought. TOTK putting in work.

I don't think anyone is saying that it definitely won't hit the target, just that it needs to perform better than it was up untiil the end of July to do so.

This is something Sony recognises and is addressing.

Also someone mentioned that their fiscal year ends in March. They do still have some time to hit those numbers.

In the end even if they don't meet them I don't think the final results will be bad.

MrA

Banned
Either way I don't think the numbers will be bad. But your right that it's much better for them if they break record's. At least they aren't going through a PS3/X1/Series/Wii U like gen when it comes to sales.
Under no circumstances do I think the ps5 will do anything approaching poorly , worst case scenario is ps5 gets back on track with then stays on par with ps4, unless ms has some really magical pixie dust ms ain't eating any of sonys pie

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ugh that top 5 is pretty depressing..

PS5 is only leading the Switch by a hundred thousand units or so for this year which is pretty insane.

I may have preordered a spiderman 2 LE ps5 to help with that. lol I have a problem.. :messenger_crying:

Luigi Mario

Seeing Black Ops 3 chart at #20 and it even being at #28 in June, makes me wish we could get a Top 30 or Top 50 ranking for these monthy US sales reports.
Would be interesting to see how long some evergreens titles last in the software chart.

Last edited:

Woopah

Also someone mentioned that their fiscal year ends in March. They do still have some time to hit those numbers.

In the end even if they don't meet them I don't think the final results will be bad.
They do have time, but I highly doubt they will be up YoY in Q4. Therefore their performance in the next 5 months will be cruical.

Either way, their sales will be very very strong.

MrA

Banned
ugh that top 5 is pretty depressing..

PS5 is only leading the Switch by a hundred thousand units or so for this year which is pretty insane.

I may have preordered a spiderman 2 LE ps5 to help with that. lol I have a problem.. :messenger_crying:
Zelda totk was like nitrous oxide, ps5 would have been much further ahead without it

They do have time, but I highly doubt they will be up YoY in Q4. Therefore their performance in the next 5 months will be cruical.

Either way, their sales will be very very strong.

Yeah they will definitely finish the fiscal year strong. But whether or not they can hit 25 million is anuones guess. Some are going to see that as very bad news if they don't but truthfully the PS5 has been doing great for Sony.

US YTD (July)
2023 PS5 ∼ 2.95 m
2002 PS2 2.91 m
2016 PS4 1.74 m

Sony cut PS2 price in May 2002 from $299 to $199.

Maybe a sign of a PS5 price cut timed with the new model this early Fall. Nothing big; probably a $50 price cut.

But imagine a $349 PS5 Digital up against a $349 Series S 1 TB. WTF are MS thinking with that price-to-value proposition?

The PS5 is insane! At $500, it's outdoing the PS2 in its 3rd year in America and we still don't know everything Playstation is working on, because Jim Ryan hates to talk.

Wish they or anyone from Sony would talk a bit more about 1P non-GaaS titles in the pipeline TBH. They are stubbornly quiet and the AAA games takes multiple years to make.

So hearing that stuff like TLOU3 "just" started production is good, but not so good when you realize it'll be so far out it's probably a PS6 launch title.

Microsoft in 2025: Xbox Series X is the most stolen console in the nation showing strong demand and up over 1500% from 3 years ago.

Meanwhile Circana in 2025: PS5 sees 5000% increase in theft rates from 3 years prior, showing unprecedented demand!

Alex Scott

Wish they or anyone from Sony would talk a bit more about 1P non-GaaS titles in the pipeline TBH. They are stubbornly quiet and the AAA games takes multiple years to make.

So hearing that stuff like TLOU3 "just" started production is good, but not so good when you realize it'll be so far out it's probably a PS6 launch title.
That is 7-8 years to develop a single game (a linear game at that). I think you are wrong. It takes 4-5 years to develop a triple A game and for a linear game that is still too long.
There might be issues within NaughtyDog's development process if what you are saying is correct which I don't think it is.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah they will definitely finish the fiscal year strong. But whether or not they can hit 25 million is anuones guess. Some are going to see that as very bad news if they don't but truthfully the PS5 has been doing great for Sony.
If you set a very ambitious record-breaking goal and miss it by a small margin, there is no loss there. It's a huge win-win either way.

25 million is an extremely bold objective for Sony. If they do hit it, it means they would outsold Xbox by 3:1 in this FY, as Xbox has been averaging ~8 million per year with Series X and S.

He doesn't know what he's trying to spin.

He's just focused on Sony hitting that target. Regardless if they hit it or not it's still extremely high. Getting close would still be extremely good for them. Especially when you compare them to how their direct competitor is doing.

mckmas8808

It's embarrassing how bad Jim Ryan's PR has been with Playstation this generation. Marketing-wise, it's basically been selling on auto-pilot. Imagine if Sony actually cared to talk to Playstation Gamers......

If 150k is anywhere close. That means ps5 sold more in Japan, then Xbox did in USA. 😲

The Wire Roland Brice GIF

yazenov

If 150k is anywhere close. That means ps5 sold more in Japan, then Xbox did in USA. 😲
For the month of July 2023:

- Ps5 sold around 195,000 in Japan
Ps5: 260,000 in the US
PS5: US + Japan = 455,000

- XBS sold approximately 4,700 ( Four thousand seven hundred only. Not a typo) in Japan
XBS: 150,000 in the US
XBS: US + Japan = 154,700

- PS5 sold 3X more than the XBS in the US + Japan.

* If we add the European numbers it will give MS execs a heart attack. Unfortunately, we don't have the Euro numbers but we all know it's a massacre there in favor of PlayStation. Accumulative worldwide numbers are a nightmare for MS.

Last edited:
Only 150k for xbox in US? monthly worldwide sales must be awful for xbox right now. They will struggle to even sell 7m units this year in total. Compare that to PS5, where sony are targeting 25m.

Historically July has been one of the weakest NPD months of the year for any console so i wouldn't be surprised if this is the worst month or the second worst month of the year for XBS, PS5 and Switch.

Last edited:

Woopah

I looked it up to see what it was all about, It's a third person shooter set in post apocalyptic earth with alien looking enemies. It looks like a third person version of Doom.
I got the first one free on PS+ and it's great, a procedurally generated, co-op Soulslike with a focus on ranged combat.

Fucking sus because I thought these were supposed to be independent fact reporters, or something, but clearly they're bending the knee to MS's marketing team.
Hmm, and right before their big last hope Starfield launches. Guessing they don't have much faith in it delivering them a big win for Sept.

mckmas8808

For the month of July 2023:

- Ps5 sold around 195,000 in Japan
Ps5: 260,000 in the US
PS5: US + Japan = 455,000

- XBS sold approximately 4,700 ( Four thousand seven hundred only. Not a typo) in Japan
XBS: 150,000 in the US
XBS: US + Japan = 154,700

- PS5 sold 3X more than the XBS in the US + Japan.

* If we add the European numbers it will give MS execs a heart attack. Unfortunately, we don't have the Euro numbers but we all know it's a massacre there in favor of PlayStation. Accumulative worldwide numbers are a nightmare for MS.

This is just embarrassing. Septemeber better be "the month of Xbox"!

GHG

I genuinely don't know why Microsoft is in the platform market.

It's Sony's biggest vertical. It's nearly all of what Nintendo does.

Why is Microsoft still in the platform/console business? Serious question.

They have no inate passion for the industry, they exist in the hope that one day they can be disruptive enough to dominate/monopolise the space and hardware is a vector that enables them to build up a presence.

In the short/medium term they would actually be better off going 3rd party and being a publisher but that doesn't interest them because it doesn't present a path towards industry domination. So they are happy to eat the losses on the hardware side and play the pity card that enables them to make acquisitions as they please in the meantime.

Nothing more to it.

Last edited:
To see that Nintendo's 7 year old console still outsells Microsoft's 3 year old consoles in the United States, which is Xbox's strongest and their most important territory, is just crazy quite honestly.

Also, I'm curious how does Circana/NPD count refurbished/renewed consoles in their monthly reports? Because looking at Amazon, at least for me anyways, it looks like those refurbished Series S consoles are quite a bit more popular than the $350 1 TB black Series S console that's set to release fairly soon at the start of September. I'm not sure if Microsoft execs would be thrilled to see refurbished consoles significantly outsell their brand new offering this holiday season.

Looking at the data here, it seems safe to assume PS5's decline from July 2022 is somewhere between 0% to -19%, while Xbox's decline will be greater than -19% from a year ago, ouch. Still though, lots of folks saying Starfield is going to reverse Xbox's fortunes and put the console back on the upswing, at least we won't have to wait much longer to find out the answer either way.

Just keep in mind that the 25M number is for March ending 2024. Sony can push 8-10M units out in Q3 this year.
That's not going to be enough for FYQ3, it needs 11.5 million. It may sound an insane amount but PS4's best Q3 was 9.7 million so a 1.8 million increase isn't impossible but it will need a new slim model at $399.99 IMO.

Elios83

PS5 continues to do great, the August promotions + Spiderman 2+ Slim will improve momentum.
Looking forward to see the impact of Starfield for Xbox because their hardware sales are just poor.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's embarrassing how bad Jim Ryan's PR has been with Playstation this generation. Marketing-wise, it's basically been selling on auto-pilot. Imagine if Sony actually cared to talk to Playstation Gamers......

The Wire Roland Brice GIF

This is my main concern with Sony this generation. The console sells on Auto pilot, and Sony seem complacent to rock the boat in talking about...literally anything. They haven't announced one true next gen AAA game in 3 years, yet they are selling million upon millions of consoles. I personally don't think it makes sense, but when the competition is so bad in releasing games...I can't really blame the situation. As an owner of two PS5, i'd just love to know what next gen game outside of Ratchet I'm going to see running on this thing, before the pro arrives.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That's not going to be enough for FYQ3, it needs 11.5 million. It may sound an insane amount but PS4's best Q3 was 9.7 million so a 1.8 million increase isn't impossible but it will need a new slim model at $399.99 IMO.
I'd expect new model to have price elasticity to go below 399 at least for holiday promotions.
It's in line with what they've done before too (ie. PS4 'Slim' hit as low as 199$ in its launch holiday season, even though MSRP was 299$).

I'd expect new model to have price elasticity to go below 399 at least for holiday promotions.
It's in line with what they've done before too (ie. PS4 'Slim' hit as low as 199$ in its launch holiday season, even though MSRP was 299$).
There was an Uncharted 4 slim bundle for $249 in Holiday 2016, same year the new model launched.

But it was until Holiday 2017 that they put the slim for $199.

Top Bottom