• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: We have no plans to release a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020

iconmaster

Banned
From Nintendo's financial results briefing for fiscal year ending March 2020.

I don't have have great confidence that this will quiet the talk of a Switch Pro. Probably the "leaks" will just start referencing 2021 instead.

Maybe a few of you will take this opportunity to consider whether Nintendo really needs a Switch Pro, whether Nintendo is the type of corporation to care about making a Switch Pro, and whether perhaps you've been making probabilities out of mere preferences.

There's no Switch Pro. There's probably not going to be a Switch Pro. By 2021, Nintendo will be looking at Switch 2, not a mid-gen step.

And that's a product I do believe in.

Edit: quite a few posters are skeptical of any statement from Nintendo, so I expand on that issue in a later post: Does Nintendo lie?

Last edited:
I was looking forward on owning the Best Switch model. I guess I'll go with the Lite until they fix their analog sticks since they suffer from drift just by using them for a day or two.

Switch will be three years old in March. Makes more sense to keep a steady wave of games this and next and launch a new system only end of 2021 or even 2022.

Last edited:

Lrnex

Yeah if it’s not Switch Pro this year then Switch 2 is in the near future. The OG Switch has been hugely successful with ports and is the best 3rd party console Nintendo has had in several gens.

If they care at all about that trend continuing into this next gen they’re going to have to have something more powerful to handle the 3rd party PS5/SEX multiplat games.

93xfan

Banned
Eh, fuck em. I'm done with the Switch until they put out a model that can actually run their own games well. Just tired of this shit.

most Nintendo games run well. What in the world are you talking about.

Smash, Mario Kart, Yoshi, Odyssey, BOTW, Kirby.

Is it just the Zelda Link’s Awakening that has you upset?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
most Nintendo games run well. What in the world are you talking about.

Smash, Mario Kart, Yoshi, Odyssey, BOTW, Kirby.

Is it just the Zelda Link’s Awakening that has you upset?

BOTW didn't run very well. Yoshi's Crafted World didn't run well, and looked like butt. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't run great. Astral Chain, same deal. Lots of games just have a tendency to stutter, too. It's not good, and there's no reason to expect it'll get better in lieu of better hardware.

McRazzle

From Nintendo's financial results briefing for fiscal year ending March 2020.

I don't have have great confidence that this will quiet the talk of a Switch Pro. Probably the "leaks" will just start referencing 2021 instead.

Maybe a few of you will take this opportunity to consider whether Nintendo really needs a Switch Pro, whether Nintendo is the type of corporation to care about making a Switch Pro, and whether perhaps you've been making probabilities out of mere preferences.

There's no Switch Pro. There's probably not going to be a Switch Pro. By 2021, Nintendo will be looking at Switch 2, not a mid-gen step.

And that's a product I do believe in.

They said no new Nintendo Switch hardware in 2020, not that they wouldn't release any new hardware in 2020.
Nikkei reported in 2019 that the new device was delayed and that it wasn't a Switch Pro but a different design.

Digitimes has cited sources from the supply chain that the "Switch Pro" is made from magnesium alloy, and a SHARP executive told a WSJ reporter last year that they're supplying IGZO dispalys to Nintendo.

Magnesium alloy is used in laptops and is more expensive than plastic or aluminum, It's used because it doesn't transfer heat well which would mean a more powerful device of at least 50 watts or so would be needed to justify the expense. of using it.
Whatever Nintendo is putting out, I think it's likely to be in a netbook form-factor, which would allow it to have a screen size that also could be used for VR.
I don't think there is any chance they would label any such device a "Switch".
I think it would be it's own product line and will have some exclusive 1st party titles, in addition of being able to play Switch games.

TindalosPup

They say this now, but watch, I'll buy a Switch for the person I've been holding out for purchasing to make sure I got them the best, and then, by some cosmic coincidence, the story will change

Honestly though I'm glad I don't have to hold off now, I was worried if there was a pro it wouldn't have been out in time for their birthday

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We don't even know what games they've got in store for the back-end of the year. Bring out the new hardware alongside BOTW2 or MP4 or whatever next year.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Guys please stop falling for when Nintendo says things like this. They will lie through their ass to avoid the potential of lost sales for people who will wait for the newest model.

All the rumours point to a newer model being released this year.
They lied about the Switch Lite, they lied about the DS lite and I'm sure about many others.

The fact they are commenting cements it for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom