• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

S0ULZB0URNE

Hey S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE since you reacted to my post with the laughing emoji, something you habitually scroll through Nintendo threads and do to every positive post, you're welcome to answer this question too. Looks like @GigaBowser opted to ignore it and double down on Steam Deck speculation.

It's not a trick question. No rhetorical sleight of hand here. It's either true or false. You can answer with a simple "yes" or "no" if you want.
Was it supply constrained?
I dunno but what I do know is I could walk into a store and buy one.

blacktout

Was it supply constrained?

All available evidence suggests that it was. Not only did Nintendo warn investors that supply shortages were going to impact early 2022 sales, we also have confirmation from NPD's own Mat Piscatella:

I dunno but what I do know is I could walk into a store and buy one.

Oh? You've been closely following the Switch stock situation in your area? That must mean you're thinking about buying one. Maybe I was wrong about you. I'm sure there are a bunch of people in this thread who can help you decide what model to buy (though you'll probably want to stick with the Switch Lite, since you seem most interested in using it as a handheld) and what games to pick up (personally, I'd go with Breath of the Wild, but Giga Bowser seems to have a fondness for Pokemon Legends: Arceus).

S0ULZB0URNE

All available evidence suggests that it was. Not only did Nintendo warn investors that supply shortages were going to impact early 2022 sales, we also have confirmation from NPD's own Mat Piscatella:

Oh? You've been closely following the Switch stock situation in your area? That must mean you're thinking about buying one. Maybe I was wrong about you. I'm sure there are a bunch of people in this thread who can help you decide what model to buy (though you'll probably want to stick with the Switch Lite, since you seem most interested in using it as a handheld) and what games to pick up (personally, I'd go with Breath of the Wild, but Giga Bowser seems to have a fondness for Pokemon Legends: Arceus).

d00d when I go to Walmart and Best Buy I always check on the XSX and PS5 and see the Switch in stock.
I had a Switch day one and BOTW is a legendary game. I don't mess with Switch anymore though(can't get past the performance) as I been waiting on the Pro.
Hopefully a new more powerful model comes before MP4 and BOTW 2 or I will be forced to suffer.

Am a old school Nintendo fan(NES is my all time favorite console)
Not a Pokemon fan.

Woopah

PS5 and Series are hitting their stride. SteamDeck is near. Competition is heating up so the time may very well be near for Switch to have it's Wii moment.
Switch is past its peak and will start declining YoY, but it'll be a gradual decline like the DS or PS4 rather than a rapid decline like the Wii. The Steam Deck won't be produced in enough numbers to have much of an impact and the competition offered by Xbox Series or PS5 won't be noticeably higher than the competition Switch has faced from Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series and PS5 since it launched.

Wii fell off a cliff because Nintendo's teams and partners were working on 4 different systems at once and couldn't provide Wii with the regular software it needed. Right now Nintendo's teams are only working on 1 system (maybe a couple of them are on pre-production for Switch 2 games) and their third party support is much better than it was on the Wii. Comparing Wii's 2011 lineup to Switch's 2022 lineup is like night and day.

Like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's major challenge right now is the chip shortage and supply chain disruptions.

Lognor

Banned
d00d when I go to Walmart and Best Buy I always check on the XSX and PS5 and see the Switch in stock.
I had a Switch day one and BOTW is a legendary game. I don't mess with Switch anymore though(can't get past the performance) as I been waiting on the Pro.
Hopefully a new more powerful model comes before MP4 and BOTW 2 or I will be forced to suffer.

Am a old school Nintendo fan(NES is my all time favorite console)
Not a Pokemon fan.
Which Switch do you see in stock? The Lite? The OLED? The OG (do they even still make this one?)? Demand is much higher for the OLED than the lite. If you want the OLED and they have the lite in stock you're likely to wait for the OLED. That's supply constraints.

Mozza

Switch is past its peak and will start declining YoY, but it'll be a gradual decline like the DS or PS4 rather than a rapid decline like the Wii. The Steam Deck won't be produced in enough numbers to have much of an impact and the competition offered by Xbox Series or PS5 won't be noticeably higher than the competition Switch has faced from Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series and PS5 since it launched.

Wii fell off a cliff because Nintendo's teams and partners were working on 4 different systems at once and couldn't provide Wii with the regular software it needed. Right now Nintendo's teams are only working on 1 system (maybe a couple of them are on pre-production for Switch 2 games) and their third party support is much better than it was on the Wii. Comparing Wii's 2011 lineup to Switch's 2022 lineup is like night and day.

Like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's major challenge right now is the chip shortage and supply chain disruptions.
If you take away the Switch sales at the height of the pandemic which was 28 million, the other years have been pretty consistent, and I could see the Switch selling 20 million a year with good software support, the Wii had another issue with the fact that most of the user base had simply moved on to tablets etc, and yes the chip shortage will affect them too.

Woopah

If you take away the Switch sales at the height of the pandemic which was 28 million, the other years have been pretty consistent, and I could see the Switch selling 20 million a year with good software support, the Wii had another issue with the fact that most of the user base had simply moved on to tablets etc, and yes the chip shortage will affect them too.
They did 28 million last fiscal year and are aiming for 23 million this fiscal year. A 20 million year and then a 17 million year sounds right to me.

I think Wii's audience moving away from Wii was a direct result of Nintendo and third not providing enough software in the Wii's later years. Something they are definitely avoiding with the Switch.

Mozza

They did 28 million last fiscal year and are aiming for 23 million this fiscal year. A 20 million year and then a 17 million year sounds right to me.

I think Wii's audience moving away from Wii was a direct result of Nintendo and third not providing enough software in the Wii's later years. Something they are definitely avoiding with the Switch.
Without a doubt and a totally different situation to the Wii for a myriad of different reasons, the Switch is shaping up to have the best twilight period of any Nintendo console, and I do not make that prediction lightly.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I hit up Walmart a few times a week and always check the game cases. Switch is commonly in stock, especially the regular and the Lite. I've even seen an OLED just sitting there. Series S is also regularly in stock. Ditto for the Quest 2. In all cases, there will be a few units, a couple days later they're gone, then a few days later there's more. I've never seen a PS5 or XSX in stock. They wouldn't get past the employees, so I'm not sure what sort of quantity is available to them.

Last edited:

Woopah

Without a doubt and a totally different situation to the Wii for a myriad of different reasons, the Switch is shaping up to have the best twilight period of any Nintendo console, and I do not make that prediction lightly.
We're really seeing the benefits of Nintendo only needing to support one platform. Their number and variety of published games this year is crazy, and there's bound to be other games we don't know about yet.

Mozza

But I did say that. They had to consolidate to survive. If they didn’t those numbers wouldn’t have gone back up.

And what was the second highest year? Oh yeah a Wii and DS year.

So you’re using literally a point that uses the same goal post and tell me not to do it too.

In the end it’s still way less PLAYERS. You cannot tell me the same number of people are using Nintendo machines than the Wii and DS days. That’s the metric for me. Players. People. Not money.

Yes they did it. By axing half their business and charging console game prices for games developed on the same budget as a 3DS game which would be $39.99 or less.

So yes it will make them more money especially when you have tons of ports and content already. Along with overcharging for games you would pay less for in the past.
One of the most salty posts I have seen on a Nintendo sales success thread for quite a while now.

The value of any game is very subjective, as any title is only really worth what people are willing to pay, and even the ports are totally new content for many Switch owners, and I do not see the massive backlash from consumers refusing to pay these prices, if they are indeed too high as you are suggesting.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Which Switch do you see in stock? The Lite? The OLED? The OG (do they even still make this one?)? Demand is much higher for the OLED than the lite. If you want the OLED and they have the lite in stock you're likely to wait for the OLED. That's supply constraints.
I have seen all 3 models but the OLED not as often.

Lognor

Banned
I have seen all 3 models but the OLED not as often.
Got it. I don't think anyone is arguing that the Switch is as supply constrained as the XSX or PS5, but there are still issues with supply, even based on your anecdotal evidence that the OLED isn't always in stock.

Deerock71

I'm sure there are a bunch of people in this thread who can help you decide what model to buy (though you'll probably want to stick with the Switch Lite, since you seem most interested in using it as a handheld) and what games to pick up (personally, I'd go with Breath of the Wild, but Giga Bowser seems to have a fondness for Pokemon Legends: Arceus).
Take it from someone who's had all three models; fuck the lite, and get an OLED. I play that shit in broad daylight and it's beautiful.

Mozza

Yes cause we all need more games that look like bayonetta 3 thank you, those 7th gen graphics look pretty good for a game being made in 2022 or when ever kamiya wants to put it out.
Why does it even bother you?, you can have a gaming P.C, PS5 and Series X to play all those graphics orientated games, the Switch has never been advertised as an ultra graphics machine.

Simple solution don't buy a Switch if the graphics put you off. ;)

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Why does it even bother you?, you can have a gaming P.C, PS5 and Series X to play all those graphics orientated games, the Switch has never been advertised as an ultra graphics machine.

Simple solution don't buy a Switch if the graphics put you off. ;)
i have one and let it eat dust last thing to play was botw a multiplat.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yes cause we all need more games that look like bayonetta 3 thank you, those 7th gen graphics look pretty good for a game being made in 2022 or when ever kamiya wants to put it out.
Stephen Curry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Mozza

Why does it bother you, you can have a gaming P.C, PS5 and Series X to play all those graphics orientated games, the Switch has never been advertised as an ultra graphics machine.

i have one and let it eat dust last thing to play was botw a multiplat.
Get it sold, I sold my Switch with the improved battery for an awesome price when I upgraded to the OLED model, and to be honest got an amazing price for my Xbox One series S as well. when I bought my Series X, I have the Switch for Nintendo titles as they suit the hardware perfectly, and anything else I buy for the Series X.

Last edited:

Mozza

The switch is honestly the best console of the last 10 years.
Up to the Switch the Wii U was my favorite, seeing Nintendo games in HD for the first time was petty awesome, but right from the reveal the Switch looked special as it combined all the things I loved about Nintendo home and handheld consoles, both the DS and 3DS were great machines in their own right, but I always wanted a little more power like the PSP and Vita, the Switch was pretty much like a Vita on steroids and still looks amazing when docked, the simple fact I can play a game on my Series X then put a Nintendo game in and still be impressed, is a serious nod to Nintendo's art direction and developers squeezing a lot out of pretty moderately powered hardware. :)

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Comparing sales from Switch to Xbox or Playstation is pointless, Switch is a portable device in essence. Just like you wouldn't compare PS2 to GBA in the past
Of course you could argue it had dock mode, but dock mode is nothing new, PSP supports connection to TV in its later cycle, that's why I said "in essence" its a portable device, the mobile based architecture says it all. Giving a Laptop a HDMI out to Monitor does not mean its a Desktop.

But nonetheless, Switch is a very successful device, its very convenient too, especially with its replaceable Joy-Con design. Having All three Console from Last Gen, I would definitely say I've used Switch the most.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I would also like to point out the double standard here.

When comparing graphic fidelity on multi-plat title, most people will account for Switch's Portable device property and justify its graphic downgrade and claim they are incomparable, but when comparing sales of the device, all of the sudden its a "Home Console" and became comparable. Common senses are, getting sales from both Home Console market and Portable/Mobile market will of course boost the sale of the hardware.

Even Nintendo knows they are not directly competing against each other, their strategy was always looking for a way to expand the audience since Wii, and I think it paid off.

Last edited:

-pepodmc

Neo Member
Crazy to me that coming off Wii U they dropped a console that outsold Wii and it’s not done yet.
For me no.

Take into consideration that nintendo didnt released a console and a portable separated as they did in previous generations.
Switch combines the sales of a console and a handled at the same time, plus, pokemon games are on the main console now (now an hybrid).
Pokemon, a franchise that, even with games looking soo bad like arceus, still sell millions and millions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom