• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

SeraphJan

But the form factor is not the same. You have to plug a whole bunch of extra things in that you have to buy separately to turn it into a desktop, mouse, monitor and external keyboard. You have all the extra wires to manage and you also have two screen functionality in a laptop's desktop mode that you can't get with just a desktop unless you buy another monitor.

Also a laptop has more limited hardware functionality. Fewer ports for peripherals, especially in desktop mode, little to no hardware upgrade capability or additional hardware functionality (eg incorporating an internal blue Ray drive).

I have just listed half a dozen functional differences between the desktop and a laptop's desktop mode.

My argument would be easily countered if you can find at least one functional difference between Switch's home console mode and those of PS/Xbox. As ir stands tou have countered nothing. Come on...counter away..just one functional difference.....

I've just listed
The form factor of Home console is also not the same. And the only thing you need to plug-in is HDMI cable, it does not even need dock. Mouse and keyboard are optional, just like switch had optional peripheral, you could also play with controller on laptop, so what are your complaining? Switch also has its limitation of hardware compare to Xbox and Playstation, you see the double standard here?

No you have not list a half dozen of functional difference, what you have listed is your personal preference difference of peripheral.

And another thing you've missed is that the power gap between Laptop and Desktop is less than Switch and Xbox and Playstation, thus meaning the latter even more of a experience difference

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

pir%C3%B3mano-meme.gif

Marvel14

Banned
The form factor of Home console is also not the same. And the only thing you need to plug-in is HDMI cable, it does not even need dock. Mouse and keyboard are optional, just like switch had optional peripheral, you could also play with controller on laptop, so what are your complaining? Switch also has its limitation of hardware compare to Xbox and Playstation, you see the double standard here?

No you have not list a half dozen of functional difference, what you have listed is your personal preference difference of peripheral.
No... a track pad and a laptop's keyboard are different from a mouse and an external keyboard. They perform the same functions but the form factors are different ...so much so that extended laptop use is considered a workplace health issue as you can get repetitive stress injuries.

To make the "laptop as desktop" experience indistinguishable to a desktop you have to buy those extra peripherals and you still have form factor limitations compared to a desktop as I have explained.

A docked switch with the joycon adapter is a home console that is functionally identical to PS and XBox. Prove that this statement is false. Power or a mobile chipset do not affect the home console experience. Unless you want to argue Wii is not a home console.

Again why can't we compare if gamers prefer playing BOTw or TLOU2 or Halo on their TVs by looking at the sales of their respective hardware?

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
My argument would be easily countered if you can find at least one functional difference between Switch's home console mode which is fully realised right out of the box and those of PS/Xbox. As it stands you have countered nothing. Come on...counter away..just one functional difference.....

How about the fact that large games have to sacrifice quality to play on the Switch, even in docked mode?

Keep in mind, all of those videos are just comparing the quality of games on the Switch versus last gen (PS4/Xbox One) consoles. This doesn't even take into consideration Switch versus PS5/XSX.

Woopah

How about the fact that large games have to sacrifice quality to play on the Switch, even in docked mode?

Keep in mind, all of those videos are just comparing the quality of games on the Switch versus last gen (PS4/Xbox One) consoles. This doesn't even take into consideration Switch versus PS5/XSX.

Power is irrelevant. Games had to make sacrifices to run on the Wii and run on the PS2 but both those devices were consoles.

Marvel14

Banned

So Wii is not a home console? It wasn't even HD. Its power differential vis a vis PS3/XB360 was worse than Switch vs PS5/XSX

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Power is irrelevant. Games had to make sacrifices to run on the Wii and run on the PS2 but both those devices were consoles.

The Switch is using mobile hardware which shows that the Switch isn't a home console even if it can be used like one. It can't keep up with the quality of other current and last gen consoles because of this. The Wii wasn't trying to use mobile hardware, it was just poor hardware in comparison to the competition.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So Wii is not a home console? It wasn't even HD. Its power differential vis a vis PS3/XB360 was worse than Switch vs PS5/XSX

I'm comparing current gen, not previous gen. The Switch is more powerful than the original Atari console. Who cares about that? You want to call the Switch a home console, but it doesn't have home console hardware. It has mobile hardware. It is a portable device that can act like a home console. But that doesn't make it a home console. I can act like a duck. That doesn't make me a duck.

EDIT: The Switch "console" is just the tablet itself. The dock isn't part of the console. It is an accessory. Therefore, the Switch is a handheld console.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I'm comparing current gen, not previous gen. The Switch is more powerful than the original Atari console. Who cares about that? You want to call the Switch a home console, but it doesn't have home console hardware. It has mobile hardware. It is a portable device that can act like a home console. But that doesn't make it a home console. I can act like a duck. That doesn't make me a duck.
I'm comparing the power differentials within the two generations not Wii vs Switch.

Anyway I like Woopah Woopah 's response better than mine.

Customer: "I have $60 to buy a game. Anything you recommend?"
Retail employee: "I really liked Mario Odyssey and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart"
Customer: "Which one is better?"
Retail employee: "Get both. The money you spend towards a game that can be played portably doesn't impact the budget you have for stationary consoles. Besides Switch doesn't have the same graphic capabilities as the PS5."
Customer: "That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I really only have time to play one game though."
Retail employee: "Don't worry about your time. When you play a game for a console that can be played portably, it doesn't take away from the time that you have to play games on stationary consoles. Do I need to remind you, the Switch is not capable of the same graphical output as a PS5?"
Customer: "That's awesome. I'll take both because they are two completely different things that have no connection with one another."
Retail employee: "Excellent choice. Anything else for today?"
Customer: "I'd like to get a desktop and a laptop."

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm comparing the power differentials within the two generations not Wii vs Switch.

Anyway I like Woopah Woopah 's response better than mine.

Regardless, the actual console part of the Switch is the tablet. The dock is just an accessory. The internal components of the Switch are mobile components. All of this says the Switch is a handheld console, but it has a dock to make it act like a home console.

Here's the real question: why does admitting this is a handheld console bother you? It doesn't diminish the sales. It's still sold a crap-ton of units. Why are you defending "home console" so much? I'm only defending my "handheld console" stance because I think the person who wrote that article is dumb, and I was explaining why.

FStubbs

The "it's just a handheld" crowd really struggle with questions eh?

Answering yours: nope a laptop's main function is to be mobile. Desktop is to stay at home. One is much heavier and bulkier than the other.

Switch has you confused though because it has both handheld and home console form factors in one package. The fact that the home console experience is indistinguishable from PS and Xbox (and I have both of those) means a comparison is valid. Because you can substitute playing between them on TV with standalone controllers.

If you could just explain why consuming Switch on your TV is different from consuming PS and Xbox on your TV you could win the argument once and for all...

I get that PS and Xbox don't have a handheld function but that's the USP of the Switch. Should we not compare Xbox sales to PS because of dualsense? Xbox doesn't have that and it distinguishes the experience on PS...the logic is similar if the point is that a differentiating Unique Selling Point disqualifies a sales comparison.
BECAUSE THE GRAFIX MAKE EYES BLEED AND SWITCH DOESN'T HAVE THE GAEMS

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So by your rationale half of it's users play docked, therefore it's a home console as much as a handheld.

I was being vague, from what we've heard it's probably 40% or more portable only, 20 % or so mostly portable, 20% mostly home, and 20% docked only. So more than half of the use of the thing is really portable, perhaps more.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So, you would agree that the PS2 only sold around 80-100 million home consoles since the rest just used it as a DVD-player?

Ha, in a way that's probably actually true. Probably a big group of buyers that used it twice as a game machine......

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have to admit it's getting boring now. After SeraphJan SeraphJan 's bold and daring desktop vs laptop gambit, no one is making a good "but it's a handheld"argument anymore.

When people resort to "it's less powerful " you know you've exhausted the debate and you're at the end of the line....

I mean, you're not responding to my point..

Regardless, the actual console part of the Switch is the tablet. The dock is just an accessory. The internal components of the Switch are mobile components. All of this says the Switch is a handheld console, but it has a dock to make it act like a home console.

Here's the real question: why does admitting this is a handheld console bother you? It doesn't diminish the sales. It's still sold a crap-ton of units. Why are you defending "home console" so much? I'm only defending my "handheld console" stance because I think the person who wrote that article is dumb, and I was explaining why.

Ha, in a way that's probably actually true. Probably a big group of buyers that used it twice as a game machine......

Not to get more off-topic, but VGEsoterica VGEsoterica did a video not long ago on a PSX (Japanese PS2 that has DVR) he picked up and the only game save on the system was for Winning Post 7:

Kind of interesting that there are people out there who buy consoles and only ever play a game or two.

Velius

Banned
But I did say that. They had to consolidate to survive. If they didn’t those numbers wouldn’t have gone back up.

And what was the second highest year? Oh yeah a Wii and DS year.

So you’re using literally a point that uses the same goal post and tell me not to do it too.

In the end it’s still way less PLAYERS. You cannot tell me the same number of people are using Nintendo machines than the Wii and DS days. That’s the metric for me. Players. People. Not money.

Yes they did it. By axing half their business and charging console game prices for games developed on the same budget as a 3DS game which would be $39.99 or less.

So yes it will make them more money especially when you have tons of ports and content already. Along with overcharging for games you would pay less for in the past.
2f7.jpg

SeraphJan

No... a track pad and a laptop's keyboard are different from a mouse and an external keyboard. They perform the same functions but the form factors are different ...so much so that extended laptop use is considered a workplace health issue as you can get repetitive stress injuries.

To make the "laptop as desktop" experience indistinguishable to a desktop you have to buy those extra peripherals and you still have form factor limitations compared to a desktop as I have explained.

A docked switch with the joycon adapter is a home console that is functionally identical to PS and XBox. Prove that this statement is false. Power or a mobile chipset do not affect the home console experience. Unless you want to argue Wii is not a home console.

Again why can't we compare if gamers prefer playing BOTw or TLOU2 or Halo on their TVs by looking at the sales of their respective hardware?
What exactly is your premise? What exactly are you debating? You keep on changing your premise.
Are you comparing the the difference between personal preference or are you comparing the functionality of the device?
What do you mean those "extra" peripheral? You could use mouse and keyboard on Xbox, are you saying without mouse and keyboard Switch experience is incomplete?
What is your point of debate? Are you talking about health issue? If so how is using a Joycon adapter same as using a Pro controller or a Xbox one controller?, Joy-con have small button that could cause stress as well, there is reason some people prefer to use Pro controller.
For Laptop, tell me in your logic what is the difference between using a Controller on a Laptop vs using a Controller on a Desktop?
Power and Mobile chipset does not effect the Home Console experience? Are you talking about yourself or are you talking about the masses? So in your opinion a multi-plat game on Xbox is the same experience on Switch so these platform became Irrelevant? As people like better frame rate and resolution, better texture doesn't exist? What are you even talking about?
And lastly are you saying exclusive game is the only thing matter to a platform?
And you keep on bringing up the form factor, its like Laptop does not have a form factor difference compare to Desktop.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I have to admit it's getting boring now. After SeraphJan SeraphJan 's bold and daring desktop vs laptop gambit, no one is making a good "but it's a handheld"argument anymore.

When people resort to "it's less powerful " you know you've exhausted the debate and you're at the end of the line....
You keep on changing premise, the debate was never about what is more powerful in the first place, go look at the previous page if you can't remember.

But again I love how you bring up "less powerful" is not a good argument, although I personal don't care about if Switch is less powerful or not, but you are basically assuming power difference is not difference, but somehow having the same functionality with an HDMI out is a difference.

Actually I'm the one getting boring, its impossible to debate with someone keep changing premise, there is basically no logic behind your argument. Like how personal preference is the same as functionality of the device.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Does it really matter what people want call Switch? They can call it whatever they want, to me both my Switch and PS5 are just gaming system I bought because they both have games I want to play and Switch selling well is only good news for me......that all that matters.

Let them call Switch what they want it make zero difference......life is too short to argue over stupid things.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It's funny people keep saying the Switches internal components are "mobile" components when the original formfactor for the Tegra chip inside switch was actually an Nvidia Shield TV.

The Switch uses a Tegra X1 chip, and NVIDIA themselves called this a mobile chip.

Tegra X1 is the most advanced mobile processor we’ve ever created, and it’s at the heart of the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV experience.

Also, that isn't the only internal component that is a mobile component. You do realize that there is a battery in the Switch, right? The entire console is designed around portability. Adding a dock accessory doesn't change the fact that the console itself (the actual tablet) is a handheld (mobile) device.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Does it really matter what people want call Switch? They can call it whatever they want, to me both my Switch and PS5 are just gaming system I bought because they both have games I want to play and Switch selling well is only good news for me......that all that matters.

Let them call Switch what they want it make zero difference......life is too short to argue over stupid things.
I wrote the same comment a few pages ago. Nothing changed.

SeraphJan

So you guys do agree calling it a handheld is fine? Since whatever anyone wish to call them doesn't matter.

Then how about calling it what Nintendo themselves sees the device? A handheld that have capability to connect to external displays such as TV or Monitor that was branded a Hybrid console, since Nintendo had move on from the Home Console market after Wii U, and decided competing as Home Console is not worth the effort?

Since it doesn't matter, why are people so triggered by what someone wish to categorize a piece of plastic as. Someone could literally call iphone a mobile gaming device that outsold switch too I would still respect their opinion even if I don't agree, actually I am very interested to see this kind of thread exist, and see how those same people react.

You either debate with logic or not debate at all, I'm fine with both. You either support define product by category or you don't, I'm also fine with both, what I don't agree with is double standard, but still everyone are entitled to their opinion, if they love double standard it's their problem

And this tribalism is stupid, assume someone was defending one piece of plastic over the other just because there is a opinion difference is not the best assumption in the world. People assume that everyone had a X brand loyalty, and claim they are either pro X or pro Y, but there is also a third type, they equally love all devices, and think each device serves their own purpose, comparing device in the same standard is pretty silly to them. I've made my point in the previous page pretty clear.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

If that makes you feel better about Switch selling well then knock yourself out.
It does not make me feel better, that's your assumption, I just always considered this device to be handheld with display output functionality, due to its hardware device both internally and externally. And I also do believe Nintendo move on from calling their device a "Home Console" long ago.

So you guys do agree calling it a handheld is fine? Since whatever anyone wish to call them doesn't matter.

Then how about calling it what Nintendo themselves sees the device? A handheld that have capability to connect to external displays such as TV or Monitor that was branded a Hybrid console, since Nintendo had move on from the Home Console market after Wii U, and decided competing as Home Console is not worth the effort?

Since it doesn't matter, why are people so triggered by what someone wish to categorize a piece of plastic as. Someone could literally call iphone a mobile gaming device that outsold switch too I would still respect their opinion even if I don't agree, actually I am very interested to see this kind of thread exist, and see how those same people react.

You either debate with logic or not debate at all, I'm fine with both. You either support define product by category or you don't, I'm also fine with both, what I don't agree with is double standard, but still everyone are entitled to their opinion, if they love double standard it's their problem

And this tribalism is stupid, assume someone was defending one piece of plastic over the other just because there is a opinion difference is not the best assumption in the world. People assume that everyone had a X brand loyalty, and claim they are either pro X or pro Y, but there is also a third type, they equally love all devices, and think each device serves their own purpose, comparing device in the same standard is pretty silly to them. I've made my point in the previous page pretty clear.
Well, because there's a lot of fanboys trying to downplay the switch selling a shit ton by calling it a handheld. They don't explicitly say it, but calling it a handheld puts it in another market where it can't compete with the PS5 and Xbox, making it "fair". You have a thread where someone was judging Nintendo on counting the Switch lite sales in the overall Switch total sales, like it's not "fair".

It's like, "the Switch doesn't matter because it doesn't compete with my PS5, so PS5 is first" kinda thing. But the thing is - the Switch is a console, hybrid one, competing with other home consoles. People can call it whatever they want, if it makes them sleep better at night, but Nintendo is fucking killing it.

SeraphJan

Well, because there's a lot of fanboys trying to downplay the switch selling a shit ton by calling it a handheld. They don't explicitly say it, but calling it a handheld puts it in another market where it can't compete with the PS5 and Xbox, making it "fair". You have a thread where someone was judging Nintendo on counting the Switch lite sales in the overall Switch total sales, like it's not "fair".

It's like, "the Switch doesn't matter because it doesn't compete with my PS5, so PS5 is first" kinda thing. But the thing is - the Switch is a console, hybrid one, competing with other home consoles. People can call it whatever they want, if it makes them sleep better at night, but Nintendo is fucking killing it.
Ok that at least explains my confusing.
In the past pages, there is one fellow assuming that I'm not ok with Switch selling well out of nowhere, when I had to explain to him that I do realize Nintendo's success, Out of all three consoles from last gen I played Switch the most due to detachable Joy-con alone, I consider it a revolutionary design. But that does not mean I don't equally enjoy PS4 or Xbox or PC, to me they all serve different purpose
And I also reply to the Switch Lite thread that you were talking about. The reason I think Switch Lite was combined in the sales figure is pretty simple, just like how PS4 PRO, SLIM, XBox One S,X, both Lite and OLED are a different variation of the same console.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

And I personally would not over excite about one device "killing it" compare to the other, competition is very important, if one company is overly successful they could make up whatever crappy deals for consumer as they please. I have to pay extra just because I wish to play the same game on Switch compare to other device is unjustified to me, and Switch game never went sale compare to other company is due to lack of competition. Its good to know Steam Deck is launching, at least there is a competition in third-party games.

Ok that at least explains my confusing.
In the past pages, there is one fellow assuming that I'm not ok with Switch selling well out of nowhere, when I had to explain to him that I do realize Nintendo's success, Out of all three consoles from last gen I played Switch the most due to detachable Joy-con alone, I consider it a revolutionary design. But that does not mean I don't equally enjoy PS4 or Xbox or PC, to me they all serve different purpose
And I also reply to the Switch Lite thread that you were talking about. The reason I think Switch Lite was combined in the sales figure is pretty simple, just like how PS4 PRO, SLIM, XBox One S,X, both Lite and OLED are a different variation of the same console.
Like, it's totally fine if people consider the Switch a handheld themselves. Some gamers never connect their Switch to the TV, so they would obviously call it a handheld. But the Switch, sales speaking, is not mainly one or the other, it's a hybrid system, so it clearly competes with Xbox and Playstation, even though these two are home consoles, something that the Switch also is.

When I had my Switch I strictly used it as a home console, never as a handheld. I had the option to, but I never chose it. It's just that fanboys need to have their system winning, even if that means finding any excuse to exclude other platforms because they're not as traditional as their chosen plastic box.

SeraphJan

Like, it's totally fine if people consider the Switch a handheld themselves. Some gamers never connect their Switch to the TV, so they would obviously call it a handheld. But the Switch, sales speaking, is not mainly one or the other, it's a hybrid system, so it clearly competes with Xbox and Playstation, even though these two are home consoles, something that the Switch also is.

When I had my Switch I strictly used it as a home console, never as a handheld. I had the option to, but I never chose it. It's just that fanboys need to have their system winning, even if that means finding any excuse to exclude other platforms because they're not as traditional as their chosen plastic box.
Interesting to know, but for me if a game is released on all platform I would rather play Home Console or PC version because of lower price and better framerate and resolution, that's why from my experience Switch serves best as Handheld because of portability. If we were talking about exclusive, that's another debate, its the quality of the game not the hardware, a hardware is just plastic box. I choose to play Sony exclusives on PC because of better experience alone.

Last edited:
Interesting to know, but for me if a game is released on all platform I would rather play Home Console or PC version because of lower price and better framerate and resolution, that's why from my experience Switch serves best as Handheld because of portability. If we were talking about exclusive, that's another debate, its the quality of the game not the hardware, a hardware is just plastic box. I choose to play Sony exclusives on PC because of better experience alone.
And that's totally fine! You have the choice to play it whichever platform you own, and you choose the Switch for its portability factor. M experience, for example, I only had a Switch before, so all my gaming was spent on the couch with my Switch connected to the TV.

And that's te beauty of the Switch and it's a fucking genius console in my opinion.

SeraphJan

And that's totally fine! You have the choice to play it whichever platform you own, and you choose the Switch for its portability factor. M experience, for example, I only had a Switch before, so all my gaming was spent on the couch with my Switch connected to the TV.

And that's te beauty of the Switch and it's a fucking genius console in my opinion.
That's exactly how I see gaming as whole, some people cares about game mechanic, some cares about graphic fidelity, its all viable reason, there is at least 8 different type of aesthetics of play in game design theory. Of course there are also people that both care and don't care about graphic fidelity at the same time. When I play on a large display like a monitor or TV, I expected better graphic fidelity and framerate. But when I'm playing Switch, I don't care about any of these factor since the screen is so small, resolution doesn't even matter.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I see gaming as whole, some people cares about game mechanic, some cares about graphic fidelity, its all viable reason, there is at least 8 different type of aesthetics of play in game design theory. Of course there are also people that both care and don't care about graphic fidelity at the same time. When I play on a large display like a monitor or TV, I expected better graphic fidelity and framerate. But when I'm playing Switch, I don't care about any of these factor since the screen is so small, resolution doesn't even matter.
I would say that I care to a point. The first 10 minutes while playing a AAA game with nice graphics, I'm like "Yeah this is fucking cool" but after that I just don't give a shit anymore. On my Switch I never cared about graphics, but BOTW always left me surprised but because of its aesthetic.

Graphics meant more to me when I was younger. Now? I don't give a shit, I just want the game to be fun (and that's why I'm extremely picky nowadays and usually just own one console). I care about art style, gameplay and that's pretty much it. If the game dips to 25 FPS I can see it, but I choose not to give a damn if the game is fun. The most recent one was Age of Calamity demo, I played that demo a lot and had a blast, even though the frame rate was shit and the graphics not that good. But fun, that's the shit that stays in your mind.

I wish I could have my Switch again, but had to sell it. Still miss it.

EDIT: Actually I lied, I just remembered some occasions where I brought the Switch with me. When I came to China, during the 13 hours flight, that little machine was my companion (I bought Fire Emblem 3 houses right before coming to China), and on many occasions the Switch was my choice to pass the time while on a business trip. Still remember doing a 5 hour train ride from Xi'an to Chongqing and playing Mario Galaxy with my gf on the train, we had a blast!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom