• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
I never said the shortages were artificial I just said I hope they make enough this time so that it's not a hassle to buy one. Nintendo has a history of underestimating demand and I don't want them to do that with Switch because I want to buy it, just like I wanted to buy NES classic but can't give them my money.

I hear that but the Wii is a poor example, is all

read orbitalbeard's post

My local gamestop was unable to confirm allocation or whether or not they were taking preorders. I may try the other one in the town to see.

Mine was the same. I'm going to hope that's a good thing and that it means they haven't been getting asked questions on it.

Kenclops

Banned
You're telling me two wireless video game streaming companies didn't combine their technologies to stream games from other systems to a portable device? I say they did. Meet your new frontend: Why buy the same game over and over when you can Switch systems.

CoilShot

So many games to be announced tonight, I don't think I'll be able to handle it!

n4xB5ML.gif
Lmao

For those concerned about availability due to issues with Amiibo and NES Classic, both the 3DS and the Wii U were very easy to get a hold of (obviously the hype was less, but still), the NES Classic did better than anyone thought it would, and the Amiibos sold like hotcakes because people thought they could resell them for a huge mark up. Once Nintendo made adequate numbers and did restocks the hype went down because now anyone that wanted one could have one, instead of people buying multiple and ones they didn't otherwise want because they assumed they'd never see them again.
Or, at least, that's what I'm gonna tell myself because I've got enough stress to deal with.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is spectacular news. Something about a live event to showcase new hardware gives it more pop than a slick, heavily edited YouTube video.

I wonder who all will be onstage. Do you think Reggie and Shibata make an appearance, since this is being broadcast across the globe?

Kimishima and Miyamoto seem a given, as does Aounuma.

No clue. I'd imagine there could be territory specific segments where we see them announce titles more suited to western markets. Don't know if that's going to be part of the main presentation though.

Either way the next few days are going to be awesome.

I have a hard time believing Nintendo couldn't get more Wii units to market. Yes, it was a hot seller but they have a history of underestimating demand. Wii, amiibo, NES classic...All I was trying to say is that I hope they anticipate demand for Switch and make enough so I am not running all over the city trying to secure a console months after launch.

sales numbers say otherwise i had friends in retail at the time and my brother worked at gamestop everytime they would get the wii back in it was gone withing the hour and that includes shipments of up to 50+ units. Nintendo didnt create a shortage for the wii at launch stores near me had anywhere from 60-100+ and it wasnt exactly a busy area in michigan and they all still sold out right after stores opened. Demand like the wii is extremely hard to predict if not damn near imposible.

For those concerned about availability due to issues with Amiibo and NES Classic, both the 3DS and the Wii U were very easy to get a hold of (obviously the hype was less, but still), the NES Classic did better than anyone thought it would, and the Amiibos sold like hotcakes because people thought they could resell them for a huge mark up. Once Nintendo made adequate numbers and did restocks the hype went down because now anyone that wanted one could have one, instead of people buying multiple and ones they didn't otherwise want because they assumed they'd never see them again.
Or, at least, that's what I'm gonna tell myself because I've got enough stress to deal with.

The first wave of Amiibo I saw at my local stores sat for a week with even the rares on the shelf. It really only got bad once the scalping kicked into overdrive.

Edit: Not necessarily the scalping but when people started realizing there were some that were rare.

VanWinkle

Haha, yeah, I hope so. I do think it will have to be at least a little bit easier to get if only because it's a $250-300 product instead of $15 or $60. I mean, yeah, you'd have to account for the fact that it's a major major product launch, but Nintendo would have to have accounted for that, too.

Gonna miss the entire presentation :(

Got a big basketball game at 8pm tonight and we have the chance to take first place.

Are preorders going to go live right after the show or tomorrow ? Really hoping it's tomorrow so I can walk in to best buy or walmart before work and preorder one.

VanWinkle

Gonna miss the entire presentation :(

Got a big basketball game at 8pm tonight and we have the chance to take first place.

Are preorders going to go live right after the show or tomorrow ? Really hoping it's tomorrow so I can walk in to best buy or walmart before work and preorder one.

Who knows man. I'm hoping Amazon at least will do it right after.

Chairhome

Called my store:
they will post their allocations on the door at 9pm. No one is allowed to lineup before 8am. Anyone going there before will be asked to leave by security. I'm sure that's not the case in most places. Hope it doesn't kill my chances

Vinnk

I have a hard time believing Nintendo couldn't get more Wii units to market. Yes, it was a hot seller but they have a history of underestimating demand. Wii, amiibo, NES classic...All I was trying to say is that I hope they anticipate demand for Switch and make enough so I am not running all over the city trying to secure a console months after launch.

They have a history of OVERestimating demand as well. WiiU, Animal Crossing Amiibo, Virtual Boy, 3DS, WiiFitU fitness tracker, Donkey Konga bongos, etc. All of these collected dust on shelves and several had to be deeply discounted (below the cost of making them) just to get rid of them. Only the 3DS eventually turned out to be a successful product.

Incompetence at misjudging the market? Clearly. A scheme to drum up demand? I'd need to see more proof.

Ok Wii was maybe a poor example. I feel like a company like Nintendo had the resources to make more but admittedly have no tangible proof so I'll take the L.

In December 2009, Nintendo sold 3.8 million Wii consoles in the US alone. Trust me, they were doing all they could to get the system in people's homes.

These days, Nintendo tends to be overly-conservative with side ventures such as Amiibo and NES Classic, but I'm not expecting the same with Switch, their flagship product. If it's hard to get on launch day, Nintendo will ramp up supply, I can almost guarantee.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I had the second half of today off paid (I work afternoons). Now I'm nestled in at home with GAF and Smashboards in different tabs, my drinks and snacks laid out nicely, and the stream in a different tab just waiting to start.

I've been looking forward to this night for a long time. Hopefully this will be NintendoGAF's finest hour.

The first wave of Amiibo I saw at my local stores sat for a week with even the rares on the shelf. It really only got bad once the scalping kicked into overdrive.

Yeah, I worked retail and we had unlimited preorders for the first two waves and didn't get cut off on the third until after a week or so. Nintendo obviously could have done a better job but they didn't expect it to be that huge and they didn't expect the level of scalping to persist, and neither did retail. I heard a horror story that on the Mario Party wave some asshole was first in line at Best Buy, asked to buy all of the Toads they had, and they couldn't do anything to stop him.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Just thinking ... k... remember when "Foxconn Artist" was drawing PS4 Pro and mentioned something like the Switch being made.? That was before people knew what the Pro looked like and there were decent supplies of that. If they were making Switch, perhaps that much lead time over the Pro will help supply strain since they have until March to get them to distributors. Just guessing though.

So no online pre-orders only physical?

Depending on the price and bundles will probably get one of these and keep it connected to on of my computer monitors. With dat pro controller. Don't plan on taking it out much if I do get one.

Looking forward to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom