• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Supposedly Working on Metroid Prime 1 Re-release(Remaster) for 2022 Release.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Hey there,

can anyone tell me from what Metroid Prime is this scene. It looks way better than MP 1 and 2. Is it from MP 3? It starts at 6:10 min

it's not MP3, that scene is from the original. I think this is a UE4 fan remake of a level/set piece

Edit: someone was faster

Last edited by a moderator:

fart town usa

Gold Member
They should just release the MP trilogy but with standard controls.

The games look great and would translate just fine to the Switch 720p screen. Playing them on the Wii U gamepad more or less looks HD for what it is. No sense in recreating the wheel when the initial product is already a total classic.

Just a reminder, the MP trilogy is $19.99 on the Wii U. It forces Wiimote controls on you (unfortunately), but the games are just as good as they always were once you get a hang of it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hey there,

can anyone tell me from what Metroid Prime is this scene. It looks way better than MP 1 and 2. Is it from MP 3? It starts at 6:10 min

Probably footage from Dolphin or something w/ graphics mods. None of the Prime games look that good on the GCN/Wii/Wii U.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They should just release the MP trilogy but with standard controls.

The games look great and would translate just fine to the Switch 720p screen. Playing them on the Wii U gamepad more or less looks HD for what it is. No sense in recreating the wheel when the initial product is already a total classic.

Just a reminder, the MP trilogy is $19.99 on the Wii U. It forces Wiimote controls on you (unfortunately), but the games are just as good as they always were once you get a hang of it.
I agree. But MP3 would need quite a bit of tweaking, because it makes profound use of the IR pointer.

They've had enough time to do it, so I'm not gonna say it shouldn't happen. I hope it does.

BlackTron

I just dont know why they are incompentant.

They are extremely competent at making money, more so than their peers.

Nintendo's margin per dollar of investment is obscene.

Sure, they take advantage of their customers to do it, but it isn't incompetence. They know what they're doing.

Papacheeks

Banned
They are extremely competent at making money, more so than their peers.

Nintendo's margin per dollar of investment is obscene.

Sure, they take advantage of their customers to do it, but it isn't incompetence. They know what they're doing.

Not even remotely answers what we are talking about when it comes to re-investing into more studios, teams, online infrastructure.

daclynk

Airplane Calm Down GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd
what movie is this scene from?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What would joycons add to the game? They don’t add anything the wiimote didn’t, they feel awful and they lack IR pointing which prime 3 and the wii trilogy release used.
its not like you can use a Wii Mote on the Switch.

tommib

I’m really itching to play Echoes now. I spend days listening to Prime 1 and 2 soundtracks. It’s really stupid these games haven’t been rereleased yet.

Woopah

Not even remotely answers what we are talking about when it comes to re-investing into more studios, teams, online infrastructure.
Nintendo is doing a lot of investment into their teams, though I agree that they should be investing in online infrastructure too.

BlackTron

I disagree. You are assuming that Nintendo's online sucks because they want it to be better but don't have the ability -thus, incompetence.

Their online is exactly as good as they want it to be. You might call it a mistake that they have chosen to have shitty online, but they haven't made any mistakes implementing their shitty plans that make them money hand over fist. It's not intended to be any better than this, so it's not incompetence.

I think Nintendo's business practices are abusive and cynical, but def not incompetent.

dezzy8

Why don’t they take these resources and put it towards 4? They teased that game like 4-5 years ago and we still haven’t even gotten a trailer from them. Gotta milk the fans though. Cuz people are going to gobble it up and pay the full 60 dollar price tag too.

EDMIX

Why don’t they take these resources and put it towards 4?

Cause the amount needed for a remaster, is not going to effect 4....

To say "put it towards 4" is like a drop in the bucket at overall development.

Here is an example I hope people understand as I don't really get why some confusion over remasters vs new games exist when its clear how expensive new games are.

Red Dead Redemption 2 cost about $540 million to make, with a staff of over 3000 and 8 years development over 2x the cost of GTA V.

GTA VI will likely take some years to development, close to 2x that of the cost of Red Dead 2 and likely a team of 3000 plus.....

GTA Trilogy....to tell us "put it towards GTA VI" is to say...the 5 people that took 2 years to make that remaster, should work on GTA VI instead, a project that will take 8 year, cost close to 1 billion to make....

Are you sure that is going to do shit? lol I believe its feasible that Rockstar likely paid a little over 1 million if that for that port to be done, Groove Street games is not part of Rockstar but MOST remasters are outsourced to small teams like this, like Aspyr. So if they paid about 1 million, that is 1 million out of 1 billion, of 5 people that were NEVER going to work on GTA VI, as in they wouldn't even add to much.

The point I'm getting at is the thing that is being asked for doesn't add up, it doesn't make sense.

The rough math, to put any of that towards GTA VI thinking you did something, means you just earned less then 1 week of development, that is how that cost adds up. 2.5 mill a week, 10 mill a month, for 8 years.

It is a drop in the bucket and I feel most don't get that, they simply think its costing 100 million to make a remaster lol It would never do anything for Metroid 4 to have 5 people remaster that game for 1 million sir, the cost of Metroid 4 and the amount working on it wouldn't benefit much if at all. I'd argue the money that they get from that remaster, can go BACK into Metroid 4's development.

Its not what you think...

V4skunk

Banned
I agree. But MP3 would need quite a bit of tweaking, because it makes profound use of the IR pointer.

They've had enough time to do it, so I'm not gonna say it shouldn't happen. I hope it does.
I think they'll just make mp1-3 remaster with motion control.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why don’t they take these resources and put it towards 4? They teased that game like 4-5 years ago and we still haven’t even gotten a trailer from them. Gotta milk the fans though. Cuz people are going to gobble it up and pay the full 60 dollar price tag too.
Because anyone with a functioning brain understands that game development is as simple as throwing more money at it. You have to have office space for new members, you have to train them, etc. There are logistical issues.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cause the amount needed for a remaster, is not going to effect 4....

To say "put it towards 4" is like a drop in the bucket at overall development.

Here is an example I hope people understand as I don't really get why some confusion over remasters vs new games exist when its clear how expensive new games are.

Red Dead Redemption 2 cost about $540 million to make, with a staff of over 3000 and 8 years development over 2x the cost of GTA V.

GTA VI will likely take some years to development, close to 2x that of the cost of Red Dead 2 and likely a team of 3000 plus.....

GTA Trilogy....to tell us "put it towards GTA VI" is to say...the 5 people that took 2 years to make that remaster, should work on GTA VI instead, a project that will take 8 year, cost close to 1 billion to make....

Are you sure that is going to do shit? lol I believe its feasible that Rockstar likely paid a little over 1 million if that for that port to be done, Groove Street games is not part of Rockstar but MOST remasters are outsourced to small teams like this, like Aspyr. So if they paid about 1 million, that is 1 million out of 1 billion, of 5 people that were NEVER going to work on GTA VI, as in they wouldn't even add to much.

The point I'm getting at is the thing that is being asked for doesn't add up, it doesn't make sense.

The rough math, to put any of that towards GTA VI thinking you did something, means you just earned less then 1 week of development, that is how that cost adds up. 2.5 mill a week, 10 mill a month, for 8 years.

It is a drop in the bucket and I feel most don't get that, they simply think its costing 100 million to make a remaster lol It would never do anything for Metroid 4 to have 5 people remaster that game for 1 million sir, the cost of Metroid 4 and the amount working on it wouldn't benefit much if at all. I'd argue the money that they get from that remaster, can go BACK into Metroid 4's development.

Its not what you think...
Not to mention logistical issues that throwing extra money could create. More money potentially means hiring new staff, which has to be trained, integrated into the project, that's only a small portion.

Papacheeks

Banned
I disagree. You are assuming that Nintendo's online sucks because they want it to be better but don't have the ability -thus, incompetence.

Their online is exactly as good as they want it to be. You might call it a mistake that they have chosen to have shitty online, but they haven't made any mistakes implementing their shitty plans that make them money hand over fist. It's not intended to be any better than this, so it's not incompetence.

I think Nintendo's business practices are abusive and cynical, but def not incompetent.

Putting you on ignore as you are acting like having a network that acts like it came from PS3 era in 2021 is acceptable.

They can’t even make their own emulated games work correctly on a new more expensive service that doesn’t add anything worth the hike. If you can’t even have dedicated servers for your most popular games like Mario kart wtf have you been doing the past 10 years?

People like you are the reason Nintendo doesn’t change and continues to underdeliver and over exploit.

Theyre more successful than ever but ive never disliked nintendo more than i do currently. Like everyone else i have a deep nostalgia and love for the company but these days they are such a shameless money grab it’s disgusting. Remake remake remake , port , port , port. New mario , new zelda , new mario kart , party , golf , tennis , pokemon , remake remake remake port port port . Rinse and repeat.

GymWolf

I love mp1 but i can't be the only one who kinda laugh when i think of a modern remake...for the switch hardware...why nintendo doesn't release this stuff on pc?!

BlackTron

Putting you on ignore as you are acting like having a network that acts like it came from PS3 era in 2021 is acceptable.

They can’t even make their own emulated games work correctly on a new more expensive service that doesn’t add anything worth the hike. If you can’t even have dedicated servers for your most popular games like Mario kart wtf have you been doing the past 10 years?

People like you are the reason Nintendo doesn’t change and continues to underdeliver and over exploit.

Put me on ignore if you want, but it seems strange that you say I act like Nintendo "having a network that acts like it came from PS3 era in 2021 is acceptable" when my post that you quoted said "Nintendo's business practices are abusive and cynical" and that their plans for online are "shitty".

People like me are not the reason Nintendo never changes. Go blame someone who paid for the shitty online upgrade with badly emulated N64 games. Their offer does not suck because they are incompetent, it sucks because they're actually EXTREMELY COMPETENT at doing what they set out to do, which is to take advantage of human nature to make as most money as possible with the smallest possible investment.

When you get swindled by a crook into willingly emptying your pocketbook in a legal transaction, you can call their tactics shitty but they are not incompetent, quite the opposite really. Incompetence suggests failure at doing something they actually tried to do. Nintendo never tried to impress you.

FeldMonster

Fck can't people make new games anymore. Metroid Prime is one of my best gaming memories, it does not need a remake.
After 20 years of great dual analog controls, popularized and perfect by Halo, it is impossible to go back to the monstrosity that is Metroid Prime controls. MP1 released with competent dual analog controls might even get me to purchase my first Nintendo hardware since the Gamecube and its garbage games/hardware betrayed me.

dezzy8

Because anyone with a functioning brain understands that game development is as simple as throwing more money at it. You have to have office space for new members, you have to train them, etc. There are logistical issues.
It’s not just money. People are resources too. Those programmers, designers etc that are working on those remasters could be doing something to help with the new product. I understand they’re in the business to make money and I love my switch, but I’m tired of them just rereleasing old games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s not just money. People are resources too. Those programmers, designers etc that are working on those remasters could be doing something to help with the new product. I understand they’re in the business to make money and I love my switch, but I’m tired of them just rereleasing old games.
I'm tired of ignorant people like you thinking that re-releasing old games is a bad thing and that somehow a drop in the bucket of money will somehow make new games come quicker. It doesn't work that way. A lot of people want the Metroid Prime trilogy re-released.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
it is impossible to go back to the monstrosity that is Metroid Prime controls.
recently played the Cube version and its not that bad. You can definitely come back to it without much hassle. The Wii version which has precise aiming and faster movement is clearly more enjoyable, but you make it sound like the original is unplayable. There are plenty of games released back then with much worse controls (including games that used dual analog).

Theyre more successful than ever but ive never disliked nintendo more than i do currently. Like everyone else i have a deep nostalgia and love for the company but these days they are such a shameless money grab it’s disgusting. Remake remake remake , port , port , port. New mario , new zelda , new mario kart , party , golf , tennis , pokemon , remake remake remake port port port . Rinse and repeat.

The thing Nintendo understands better than anyone else is how to make money. They realize once you buy their console, they don’t really need to release new games later in the lifecycle. This is why we typically get one major title from each franchise per generation. They look at the whole Switch library and see games where we see gaps because we’ve already played those games. Every so often they’ll throw a bone to keep fans engaged but if you look at each system you’ll see there is almost always a single release (sometimes 2 depending on generation, and Nintendo’s financial standing).

Splatoon is a different story because it’s wildly popular, multiplayer, and needs consumer mindshare.

No more ridiculous than the last time you ranted about them.

Which is why it's hard to take anything you've said seriously.
Youre just wierd dude lol what exactly is it that im saying you have a problem with ? That i want nintendo to put out more original content and less remakes and ports ? Lol you disagree with that sentiment? I mean ok to each their own but hey. 😂 You come off as a person whos just looking for an argument or motive to be a disagreeable or contrarian and its wierd. Not to mention you’re digging into my past posts which is fine because all it does is show that im consistent as far as my thoughts on the companys recent output.

Tschumi

Didn't they complete a remaster but not release them?

I'm jaded with Nintendo, sold my Switch pretty quickly

Top Bottom