• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shuts down Zelda: Skyward Sword Switch port reports.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...da-skyward-sword-nintendo-switch-port-reports

Earlier this week, Zelda series boss Eiji Aonuma set tongues wagging when he mentioned the idea to fans during a concert of Zelda music in Japan. It sparked excitement for a potential re-release - and the prospect of fixes for a game whose motion control scheme divided the Zelda community.

"At this time we have no plans to release The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Nintendo Switch," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer today.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wouldn't call this shutting it down completely.

Loads of studios/developers say this kind of thing. Remember when Blizzard said Diablo 3 wasn't coming to Switch? Remember when Rockstar said GTA V wasn't coming to PC?

I don't really care if they port it or not so don't take this as me clinging on to hope.

Last edited:

Rodolink

It's happening. Negating it confirms it. Happened the same with Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight princess. The thing is coming, who know when but it is.

Because Nintendo switch owners really want to play that shit at 1st? It's bad in every possible ways... and that story, please stop with it. At least reactions to the story, the boring dungeons and village hub, the dumb characters and to Fi from 1st time players would have been fun to watch.

The only thing i liked about that game was the art, even if i were pissed it was tuned town.

Jumping from the last Zelda to that... oh man, i even.don't wish it to my worst enemy! ;-)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
how did the game get like 93 meta if its a bad game? I always hear that the game isn't that great. hmm.

It's absolutely fine as far as Zelda games go, but there was way too much hand-holding. A lot of people didn't like the motion controls either, I didn't care too much.

It's not bad by any stretch, but it ain't a 9/10 game in many people's books.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The most important game that needs to be ported to Switch is Tokyo Mirage Session, any other game can wait.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
fuck that game
trolls have nothing to do with it Danjin44 Danjin44 the game was shit
not good opposite of good.

twilight princess was ok
wind waker was ok
that third turd was just
eh

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well I personally really loved the game and I want to see it on Switch.
no i just cant even accept someone liking that game.

i just finished botw ages ago ,
then i went back to SS don;t do that it is shocking

twdnewh_k

There's only one Wii game I want remastered on the Switch, and that's Metroid Prime Trilogy.
I'd very surprised if they dont do this before MP4 to boost hype. But then again I am surprised Yoshi's Woolly World wasn't ported with the Switch game coming up.

Moses85

Imo the Motion Controls are „great“ in this game. Story is „ok“
Level design is „horror“
In some point i have had fun to play it and in some other way it anoyed me and i was happy i finalized it. Never touched it since that and never felt sorry about that.

On the other Hand, I started and finished MM (2 Times since its re-release on 3DS, OOT 3 times on 3DS, TP once on Panasonic Q 😅, 2 times on WiiU and once on WiiU. Started TWW on WiiU on its re-Release and did not finish it since that.

With some quality of life fixes I'd play it again. Long before I would play BOTW, as that one disapointed me. I wanted to LOVE botw, but I just can't. :(

Take out the hand holding and the recurring item pickup animations and skyward sword is an awesome game.

There's great stuff in there, but it can be a chore to get to it. The good outweighs the bad though.

levyjl1988

Banned
I would opt for a Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons/ Ages Remaster. That game needs more attention and love. Or a combined version. Seeing changing seasons would be refreshing rather than going to designating zones. I want to see change over time on the land, but seasons or ages shouldn’t lock items in obtaining. Except for seasonal fruits and vegetables and wildlife appearance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I liked the game's controls except the cursor-stuff which were inexplicably not using the sensor bar like every good cursor-aiming game did resulting in a very off feel.

Also I think they were too ambitious with the sword fighting, simpler angling like in Wii Sports Resort would probably have resulted in better, quicker battles. But it was fine still.

I didn't like the rest of the game overall though it did have the odd good section like a specific dungeon, puzzle or fight. But like the repeated fights against a funny looking giant boss, overall I didn't like it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Someone probably suggested that a port of a 2 gens old game was maybe pushing it a bit too far for a $60 release and Nintendo just lost interest.

how did the game get like 93 meta if its a bad game? I always hear that the game isn't that great. hmm.
From my understanding it's not a bad game but people didn't like the backtracking and fetch quests and apparently the usual Zelda hand holding was worse than ever.
But just like Rockstar, Nintendo is one of those companies that tends to get inflated scores

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don't see what the big deal is.

Porting doesn't cost nearly the amount of developing something from scratch.

If Nintendo can bolster their software line up for their hardware like others, why not?

I'd play Skyward Sword again on the Switch; I know what I'm getting into as far as story and gameplay versus having to wait for reviews or blindly buying the title.

I would be urked if they didn't do anything but a direct code port with no graphics/QoL updates and still charged 60 bucks though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Someone probably suggested that a port of a 2 gens old game was maybe pushing it a bit too far for a $60 release and Nintendo just lost interest.

From my understanding it's not a bad game but people didn't like the backtracking and fetch quests and apparently the usual Zelda hand holding was worse than ever.
But just like Rockstar, Nintendo is one of those companies that tends to get inflated scores
Just look at the IGN review or better yet, watch it on YouTube. It's so ridiculous, and I'm actually playing through the game at the moment. Infinitely better than I remember, I hated it when it released. 10/10 though? Not even close. It's a great game but has a lot of padding and absurd control schemes that shouldn't have been implemented (swimming, tight rope walking). It's a mix of Nintendo at their best (music, art style, dungeons) and at their absolute worst (motion controls, hand holding). It's a weird game for sure but when it works, it's frigging fantastic.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take excite truck..
I want a new one. Pro Controller is perfect for this as they can keep going with the tilt controls (Which were super tight in the original. Suck it motion control haters, Excite Truck is a gem because of it) but give it a more complex trick system based on button presses. The only thing the original lacked is a stage editor (after all its an Excite game) and online play.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
But that implies that they actually spend any time on their ports.
Necro!

Here's your reward:

FFMu.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's for the best. Skyward Sword is an embarrassment tbh. I'm glad to have been able to experience it once and there were some things that were good, I got all the hearts after all, but it's not a well thought out chapter in the series at all imo

Not to say people shouldn't be able to experience it on the Switch, it probably should be given some kind of treatment, only (and hopefully) after BOTW 2 is released

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo sitting on more of their products they could easily steal more of their rabbid fans' money with.

It's moronic at this point.

OR they're going to trickle it out at an even DRYER release drought.

Top Bottom