• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isreceives paid DLC (remastered courses) 48 additional courses will be released in waves until the end of 2023

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I just hope MK9 has single player modes worth playing. There is so much potential, but right now Mario Kart is only for when you have friends over, that are interested in gaming, that are young, that live nearby. Eh.

Robb

Gold Member
I just hope MK9 has single player modes worth playing.
I’d love to see a singleplayer mode for MK9. Even something like the missions mode from MKDS would be cool imo.

But I think we’re moving more in the opposite direction tbh. Wouldn’t surprise me if they launch MK9 and announce something like this from the get go, with two years worth of content being provided to keep people playing.

00_Zer0

All these extra tracks are great! I just wish there were more game modes. More Balloon Battle Modes would be great. Or have a new mode set up like CTR or Didy Kong Racing and have boss modes. Have a story mode with Rivals/Bosses for crying out loud. It would be so much fun!

Mario Kart is one of the greatest Kart series ever, and to this day there are certain games in the series that stand out to me, but it's not the be all end all series it could be. Especially with Diddy Kong Racing and CTR still around. Plus, some of the older games in the Mario Kart series are well with going back to even today. I will never get tired of Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 or Double Dash.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm looking forward to Splatoon 3. Despite the fact that the game looks nearly identical to the previous entry which was also on Switch. It being a new game opens up all kinds of possibilities for new mechanics, content, modes etc. that wouldn't be possible with simple DLC. That's why a new game is exciting.

I don't understand why you think it's impossible to make a fantastic MK8D sequel on the Switch. Nintendo is capable of that, I think. They have the time, the resources, the talent. There's no reason they couldn't do that. They simply choose not to.
I love Splatoon too.

But it's still such a young franchise compared to Mario Kart that's it not really fair to compare them. There's a lot more they can add, especially as 2 was the first real full game; the first one was quite barebones (still have hundreds of hours logged).

Pachi72

Fucking lol. Nintendo is such a weird company. New dlc for a game originally released on 2014.... Or 2017.

Hahaha god damn, and I bet it will sale like crazy....hahha
Because the Switch is underpowered. MK9 will look like MK8.

Some people just want the endorphin rush from getting something new, even if that new thing isn't new and maybe even worse.
It's the same people who cheer the loss of the headphone jack on phones as 'innovative'. Really, they just wanted the thrill of buying something.
Wtf this comparison is asinine. Nintendo should hire you for pr lol.

I guess you’re cool with breath of the wild dlc instead of botw 2? Why not just make dlc for mario odyssey instead of a new game? Shiiiit. Maybe they planned on mario galaxy 3 but I guess you’d praise some galaxy 2 dlc with the same graphics.

No SHIT I want something new but not because I have to buy the damn thing. I’d feel even better if it was free xD

Good grief. Just enjoy the dlc without casting mk9 as sour grapes.

Last edited:

Tams

Wtf this comparison is asinine. Nintendo should hire you for pr lol.

I guess you’re cool with breath of the wild dlc instead of botw 2? Why not just make dlc for mario odyssey instead of a new game? Shiiiit. Maybe they planned on mario galaxy 3 but I guess you’d praise some galaxy 2 dlc with the same graphics.

No SHIT I want something new but not because I have to buy the damn thing. I’d feel even better if it was free xD

Good grief. Just enjoy the dlc without casting mk9 as sour grapes.

You come across as very entitled.

Anyway, I still enjoy Mario Kart. I still enjoy Breath of the Wild. I still enjoy Mario Galaxy 2. I have other games and other hobbies to keep to occupied too.

So I see no reason for Nintendo to rush out sequels just because a few people go ham at a few games and finish everything in them or play them to death. And I never said that I don't want a new game sometime in the future. I'd rather they focus their efforts on making those games release in a good form (not Battlefield 2042-like) on the successor/upgrade to the Switch.

I suggest you get some additional hobbies.

Last edited:
You come across as very entitled.

Anyway, I still enjoy Mario Kart. I still enjoy Breath of the Wild. I still enjoy Mario Galaxy 2. I have other games and other hobbies to keep to occupied too.

So I see no reason for Nintendo to rush out sequels just because a few people go ham at a few games and finish everything in them or play them to death. And I never said that I don't want a new game sometime in the future. I'd rather they focus their efforts on making those games release in a good form (not Battlefield 2042-like) on the successor/upgrade to the Switch.

I suggest you get some additional hobbies.
Just admit you’re a corporate slave for Nintendo. I’m entitled to have expectations?

I enjoy old games as well and you know damn well that has nothing to do with expecting new games. It physically hurts you to criticize your brand.

Last edited:

Tams

Just admit you’re a corporate slave for Nintendo. I’m entitled to have expectations?

I enjoy old games as well and you know damn well that has nothing to do with expecting new games. It physically hurts you to criticize your brand.
Mate, I'll play games on anything. I can't even play my top games of all time on any Nintendo console.

Fuck off with your assumptions.

These are the Tracks currently absent from MK8 Deluxe, I have ticked the tracks coming in wave 1. So many great oldies to pick from and since we got three from MK tour in the first wave it is likely that all MK Tour original tracks will eventually arrive, can't wait for London Loop. My top 5 most wanted retro tracks are Rainbow Road 3DS, Toad's Factory Wii, Waluigi Pinball DS, Airship Fortress DS and Wario Colosseum GCN. And hopefully Nintendo remember to add the grass and rock textures lol.

dC42CYT.png

Last edited:

royox

That is actually a bargain, and very impressive for dlc, I guess they realised they literally have so much money waiting to be made for MK8 DELUXE, I can imagine most people with a switch own mario kart 8 Deluxe (I don't know anyone irl that doesn't)
I dont cause I already have mk8 with all dlc in WiiU and I wont double dip till it has a normal price for a 10 years old game.

Does anyone know if you get the DLC if you're part of a family Nintendo online and or do any one know how it works with family plans, thanks in advance.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Mario Kart 8 will have grossed over $3 Billion dollars by the time this comes out. Not Hyperbole or a made up number. $3,000,000,000

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I actually like how Nintendo supports old/evergreen games with additional content. Not everyone was around for MK8 during the Wii U era, so it still doesn't feel like an 8-year-old game for a significant portion of the Switch's install base. The game still sells like crazy so from a business standpoint and even a consumer-conscious standpoint it makes sense to offer a high-value DLC rollout.

I haven't played MK8 regularly in years, and even though I feel like I wore it out on the Wii U I'm ready to jump back in with new content. MK9 would obviously be MORE exciting, but new tracks are pretty damn cool.

Remember, Nintendo also did something similar with Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury. They rejuvenated an old game but adding a completely new experience onto it. They didn't just toss the engine out after the original 3D World and Captain Toad. It kind of makes me wish we'd see more of this support for legacy content across the board. Everyone is obsessed with NEW NEW NEW even though we're in a constant state of saturation.

Last edited:
dude, stop embarrassing yourself.

Why is it always the people with these names...
I actually started playing Mario kart 8 today. Sentiment is still the same. This game is too easy, seems like they made it for 8 year olds.

It’s so slow that’s boring. It feels like you’re going in autopilot at 20 miles per hour. Why?

It’s like they gave it the smash bros brawl treatment.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I actually started playing Mario kart 8 today. Sentiment is still the same. This game is too easy, seems like they made it for 8 year olds.

It’s so slow that’s boring. It feels like you’re going in autopilot at 20 miles per hour. Why?

Did you forget to turn auto assist off?

Are you playing 50cc? Sounds like it.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I don’t know. How can I do that and why would I need to do it?
Well I don't know if thats the problem but in Kart select i belive you hit select button. The if you have a antenna that is drive assist. It will show you what button to remove than. Then there is a another assist that gasses for you.

I can't turn it on to check atm. My boy uses it though and I hate it. Also there is different cc races that will be faster Karts.

Well I don't know if thats the problem but in Kart select i belive you hit select button. The if you have a antenna that is drive assist. It will show you what button to remove than. Then there is a another assist that gasses for you.

I can't turn it on to check atm. My boy uses it though and I hate it. Also there is different cc races that will be faster Karts.
I’m playing in 150cc. Feels really slow. I believe this is just how the game was made. If I play this and then I play Mario kart 64 or double dash there’s no comparison.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Its lazy cause when was the last mario kart made?
Let's add just a bit of perspective.

Mario Kart 8 / DX is the best selling exclusive* game of all time. This game would be putting up damn near GTAV numbers had it been on more than 1 platform. 53 Million sold! To take 48 tracks and retrofit them to fit into the design manifold of MK8 will takes 100's of hours labor from a mid sized team Some of the music has to be re-recorded by a band, unless you think they are just going to import the music from SNES and N64 games as is. All the tracks have to be redesigned using the old tracks as the frame work but it will not be a simple an import, copy & paste. To call this "lazy" is just incorrect. GTAV is still getting updates and so is Skyrim. We may not like the choice but it takes real work to produce this type of content.

GTA 6, Elder Scrolls 6 and Mario Kart 9 will come.

When your agenda is clear as a diamond, it allows us to see the flaws.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Let's add just a bit of perspective.

Mario Kart 8 / DX is the best selling exclusive* game of all time. This game would be putting up damn near GTAV numbers had it been on more than 1 platform. 53 Million sold! To take 48 tracks and retrofit them to fit into the design manifold of MK8 will takes 100's of hours labor from a mid sized team Some of the music has to be re-recorded by a band, unless you think they are just going to import the music from SNES and N64 games as is. All the tracks have to be redesigned using the old tracks as the frame work but it will not be a simple an import, copy & paste. To call this "lazy" is just incorrect. GTAV is still getting updates and so is Skyrim. We may not like the choice but it takes real work to produce this type of content.

GTA 6, Elder Scrolls 6 and Mario Kart 9 will come.

When your agenda is clear as a diamond, it allows us to see the flaws.
Talk about cappin for one console, hows bending over for that god awful online fee doing for yall.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Talk about cappin for one console, hows bending over for that god awful online fee doing for yall.
This is further illustration of your agenda. I'm just talking facts. No more, no less. If you just wanna shit on Nintendo or Mario Kart 8, cool and the gang, do your thing. We'll all be here waiting for you to back your point with your facts and not your feelings, stay out of those.

Petopia

Banned
This is further illustration of your agenda. I'm just talking facts. No more, no less. If you just wanna shit on Nintendo or Mario Kart 8, cool and the gang, do your thing. We'll all be here waiting for you to back your point with your facts and not your feelings, stay out of those.
Got a switch too man and its nothing but that a secondary console.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
nothing but that a secondary console.
That depend on each person, I have both PS5 and Switch and currently Switch is my main system since I play more games on my Switch than on my PS5 and only one that willing to give me big first party JRPG, Sony in other hand completely abandoned that.

Top Bottom