• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isreceives paid DLC (remastered courses) 48 additional courses will be released in waves until the end of 2023

bender

What time is it?
It is when they are just a bunch of old courses with new paint, and it takes 2 years to come out. Or hidden behind the dumb expansion firewall as option #2. Let's drip feed content just like the old games.........lame.

You can buy it outright or access it via the Online Expansion Pack. Mario Kart 8's DLC was also drip fed. If you want it all at once, wait until it is all released. They are brining the old courses to Mario Kart 8, yes but that takes effort and they are $0.52 per track. There is plenty to be critical of Nintendo about, but I don't think this is one of those instances.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You can buy it outright or access it via the Online Expansion Pack. Mario Kart 8's DLC was also drip fed. If you want it all at once, wait until it is all released. They are brining the old courses to Mario Kart 8, yes but that takes effort and they are $0.52 per track. There is plenty to be critical of Nintendo about, but I don't think this is one of those instances.

Would take like 2 people 6 months to remaster those courses with the right tools, but ok, it's cool for them to drag it out over 2 years. Probably already have them all done already, why not just release them all now?
I think it's time to stop apologizing for crappy practices on a game that's essentially been out for 8 years.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Would take like 2 people 6 months to remaster those courses with the right tools, but ok, it's cool for them to drag it out over 2 years. Probably already have them all done already, why not just release them all now?
I think it's time to stop apologizing for crappy practices on a game that's essentially been out for 8 years.

How many people did it take to pull that information out of your ass?

Rykan

I wish they would monetize this differently. I'm totally okay with the price for the amount of courses, but it will split up the online community. I also think it would be cool to get new characters instead.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'll be honest, I think Nintendo doesn't know how to move forward with the next version of the game. The success of the current version is outstanding, and they are smart to milk the install base. There is also some value in including it in the on-line expansion service, that makes so much sense. The flip side is there won't be a new version until the next step for the Switch, whatever and whenever it comes. Hopefully they are well deep into development, but I'm still not sold on it.

MK8 was the perfect storm like Animal crossing. Getting more life out of it and profits, just brilliant and savvy.

Is it a worry, are they bankrupt of ideas or are they smarter than the average bowser?

Zannegan

I didn't see any hover/zero-g sections in the trailer. Did I just miss them, or are these not updated except visually?

I get that you don't want to totally change the courses, but there are opportunities for natural shifts some in some levels, and it just seems odd not to use the game's main mechanic, even for legacy courses.

SonicJams

You guys gotta remember the WiiU didnt exist in Nintendo's eyes. So MK8 Deluxe is essentially the Switch Mario Kart. We're not getting 2 mario karts on one system, that would be a silly business move. They'll use a fresh NEW mario kart to sell the next system.

Last edited:
Thats a lot of tracks for that money...would be nice to toss in a new racer per pack but its already a steal. Now if they would only add a DLC to Mario maker 2 ...i have a shopping list of ideasfor that one i would have loved to have seen. It ended too soon.

Full pixel color swaps,
adding things to backgrounds
placeable water
being able to mix graphics between levels and not being restricted to locked assets per type of level

...super mario 2 assets

Realistically, this should've happened years ago. I am surprised it has taken 5 years to push out additional content for MK8D considering it's such a massive title.

Happy that me and my friends will be able to bring back our Mario Karty Party sessions with something fresh though. Very exciting and such great value given the sheer amount of tracks on offer here.

Ozriel

M$FT
To break it down for you folks as gently as possible.

This clearly indicates that the game is a GaaS, live service game. And that’s fine.

Keep that in mind in other threads when you complain bitterly about GaaS and ‘live service’ games.

To break it down for you folks as gently as possible.

This clearly indicates that the game is a GaaS, live service game. And that’s fine.

Keep that in mind in other threads when you complain bitterly about GaaS and ‘live service’ games.
What is the inherent distinction betweeen "live service" game and plain old DLC?

Most GaaS games have some form of grind to keep you playing, I just view this as DLC spread out over months.

levyjl1988

Banned
Mario Kart is missing variety in its roster and kart parts. Where the hell is Egg cart and Dry Bomber. There were some really unique karts in predecessor titles. Such a waste.

BlackTron

I got the game for Wii U, then double dipped on Switch. Then my friend dropped my Switch case near an air vent and the game was never recovered.

I was thinking to get it again to buy this DLC, but maybe I should just wait for Mario Kart 8 Ultimate now to have it all on a cart for the (supposedly) final form.

Mozza

You guys gotta remember the WiiU didnt exist in Nintendo's eyes. So MK8 Deluxe is essentially the Switch Mario Kart. We're not getting 2 mario karts on one system, that would be a silly business move. They'll use a fresh NEW mario kart to sell the next system.
To be fair they supported the Wii U version with DLC, even though they new the games sales were always going to be poor because of the hardware it was released on, but totally agree Mario Kart 9 is for the Switch 2.

UnNamed

Banned
I would say this is a good move since they don't split the community and they offer another good value to your game. I was about to sell the game, but now I can continue to play it, despite I'm not very good at it.

NahaNago

Is it for sure that it is 24.99 for all of those tracks. My more skeptical side kept thinking that it was 24.99 was the price of the first 8 tracks and that they would charge us that price for the 6 additional passes.

Is it for sure that it is 24.99 for all of those tracks. My more skeptical side kept thinking that it was 24.99 was the price of the first 8 tracks and that they would charge us that price for the 6 additional passes.
I think it's all of it. The original Mario Kart 8 DLC was shockingly cheap on Wii U as well. Smash DLC is also fairly cheap for what you get.

NahaNago

I think it's all of it. The original Mario Kart 8 DLC was shockingly cheap on Wii U as well. Smash DLC is also fairly cheap for what you get.
I always thought the characters for smash seemed expensive. Like you pay $60 for like 50 characters but you then would pay $25 for like 5 characters.

Dodo123

I don't get people that complain on this offer and wanted a Mario Kart 9 game...
Like, you will have 96 HD TRACKS - that's amazing! "It's an 8 year old game!!" So what? It's still as great?! People love it.

And to the "Mario Kart 9" people... I would really like to hear your rationale behind your views. MK 8 Deluxe is still selling like crazy and have enormous, growing install base. It's easier to earn more money from these people than saying them they need to buy yet another MK game (they wouldn't anyway). What could a new MK game on the original Switch offer that the 8 Deluxe doesn't? Not much IMO

I was praying for them to not announce MK9, it would be such a waste of resources.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is when they are just a bunch of old courses with new paint, and it takes 2 years to come out. Or hidden behind the dumb expansion firewall as option #2. Let's drip feed content just like the old games.........lame.
Dude you're like almost the very single one complaining (there's a couple more but only god knows where) about this... Someone said "we are letting Nintendo get away with this" as if most people think this is something bad that they're eating anyway... No, people likes this shit, is happy for this, this is what they wanted and that Nintendo took so long to finally do (why the hell Nintendo didn't bring DLC for MK8D earlier? I thought that was gonna be a given), it's ok not like things, just move on to things you like so you'll suffer less LOL

THE DUCK

Dude you're like almost the very single one complaining (there's a couple more but only god knows where) about this... Someone said "we are letting Nintendo get away with this" as if most people think this is something bad that they're eating anyway... No, people likes this shit, is happy for this, this is what they wanted and that Nintendo took so long to finally do (why the hell Nintendo didn't bring DLC for MK8D earlier? I thought that was gonna be a given), it's ok not like things, just move on to things you like so you'll suffer less LOL

It's also OK to say, hey, why didn't Nintendo just release this all at once. You know they aren't gods, right? So tired of the apologists for Nintendo. Always some excuse.......

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'll definitely pick this up, even though I haven't actually played Mario Kart in years. 48 courses for $25 is a good value.

Still, I hope when we finally get Mario Kart 9 it's more like a Super Smash Kart type of game with lots of other game characters included. I'd like to play as Samus in a Metroid themed track, or have some F-Zero, Star Fox, or even Wave Race type stuff included...so long as it doesn't change the core gameplay too much except for maybe short sections or shortcuts.

Ozriel

M$FT
25€ for 48 tracks, when you look at companies asking you 5€ for a skin.

Nintendo just showing to all companies what's wrong with this industry.

Realistically speaking this is a banger of a deal if you ask me, even though it comes late.

‘Greedy Activision’ sold Crash N’Sane Trilogy for $40

‘Best practice Nintendo’ sells uprezzed Wii U ports of single games for $60.

When will you people learn not to take a single story to lionize studios or publishers?

Just a few years ago, gamers were hailing CDPR as the saviors of gaming.

NickFire

100%. I don’t remember the specific costs of all the dlc I’ve bought over the years, but I also don’t ever recall saying how reasonable dlc pricing sounded like I did when I read about this. $25 for 48 new tracks is so fair I’m shocked by it. Its finally time to get a micro card for our switch, because i assume this will take up a few gbs.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's also OK to say, hey, why didn't Nintendo just release this all at once. You know they aren't gods, right? So tired of the apologists for Nintendo. Always some excuse.......
Gods? Lol, they're business, they don't release it at once because (choose one):
  • They prefer to have spare releases for marketing reasons, like reminding people the game exist over the time before MK9 comes out (advertising was part of my college subjects, I'm not that ingenuous lol)
  • They don't have everything done by now and the budget for it is small and/or is being released over the time and not at once due to other priorities
  • They have other priorities and are putting most of the workload there instead of this DLC
  • They want you to feel bad because they hate you, and me, and everyone else just because
Only ingenuous with zero knowledge can be delussional thinking a company will do something or not for the sake of "quality and fans" LOL, Nintendo is not different, they just do things their way but for the same end as PS or Xbox.

Before challenging me with this, shouldn’t you have put some effort into learning what a GaaS game is?
I don't know. I don't think this fits the billing for a live service title. There's usually some premise beyond additional content for a few modes. Say lootboxes, skins, aesthetic changes to maps and such. All the big GaaS titles usually have a battle pass too.

There's also no MTX present and a purchase is required to play this game most live service titles have no barrier to entry, which I'd argue are strong components for GaaS titles.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
‘Greedy Activision’ sold Crash N’Sane Trilogy for $40

‘Best practice Nintendo’ sells uprezzed Wii U ports of single games for $60.

When will you people learn not to take a single story to lionize studios or publishers?

Just a few years ago, gamers were hailing CDPR as the saviors of gaming.

I didn't paint Nintendo as the holy saviors of the industry. Just in this particular case I think they did a pretty good consumer deal, that puts other cosmetic DLC's from other games to shame.

Power Rangers Reaction GIF

I didn't paint Nintendo as the holy saviors of the industry. Just in this particular case I think they did a pretty good consumer deal, that puts other cosmetic DLC's from other games to shame.

Power Rangers Reaction GIF
Also, it's not even like the initial $60 asking price was overly expensive, given the game came with all the previously released content.

Can anyone blame Nintendo for wanting to re-release MK8 on hardware that actually sold...

THE DUCK

Gods? Lol, they're business, they don't release it at once because (choose one):
  • They prefer to have spare releases for marketing reasons, like reminding people the game exist over the time before MK9 comes out (advertising was part of my college subjects, I'm not that ingenuous lol)
  • They don't have everything done by now and the budget for it is small and/or is being released over the time and not at once due to other priorities
  • They have other priorities and are putting most of the workload there instead of this DLC
  • They want you to feel bad because they hate you, and me, and everyone else just because
Only ingenuous with zero knowledge can be delussional thinking a company will do something or not for the sake of "quality and fans" LOL, Nintendo is not different, they just do things their way but for the same end as PS or Xbox.

You can just list the above and gloss over the fact that Nintendo continues to make decisions that does in fact increase the bottom line regardless of how it services it's customers, but ok, it's just accepted now, it doesn't matter what they do because it's for "legit" reasons no matter what by people like you.
You do realize if the customers don't hold them accountable to some point, you can enjoy a game a year and $99 games soon right? Of course it's not personal, but it continues to be NINTENDO PROFIT >>>>>>>>keeping customers happy. This will bite them in the ass eventually, you know, when they actually have some competition in the mobile space.
Quality and customer service used to come first, now they are a distant third and it will affect them eventually. It's so sad they don't have a single competitor in the space the sell in (handheld console at mass market price). Steam deck won't matter as it will sell out and they won't make enough to affect them.
It's the same reason we are still playing on 2016 hardware.

Ozriel

M$FT
Also, it's not even like the initial $60 asking price was overly expensive, given the game came with all the previously released content.

Can anyone blame Nintendo for wanting to re-release MK8 on hardware that actually sold...

No issues with the price of MK8. I should have made that clear. I was thinking more of the likes of Skyward Sword

Kataploom

Gold Member
You can just list the above and gloss over the fact that Nintendo continues to make decisions that does in fact increase the bottom line regardless of how it services it's customers, but ok, it's just accepted now, it doesn't matter what they do because it's for "legit" reasons no matter what by people like you.
You do realize if the customers don't hold them accountable to some point, you can enjoy a game a year and $99 games soon right? Of course it's not personal, but it continues to be NINTENDO PROFIT >>>>>>>>keeping customers happy. This will bite them in the ass eventually, you know, when they actually have some competition in the mobile space.
Quality and customer service used to come first, now they are a distant third and it will affect them eventually. It's so sad they don't have a single competitor in the space the sell in (handheld console at mass market price). Steam deck won't matter as it will sell out and they won't make enough to affect them.
It's the same reason we are still playing on 2016 hardware.
Da fuq?

Dude chill down, they're a business, I'll treat them like I treat every business, I don't care the effort they or anyone else put as long as I like the output anyway, the price thing is only you mentally fapping tbh.

Regarding Steam Desk not shaking their ground enough, sure, it's not because "people is dumb", it's because they have a very good product for the masses, it's not you or me that decides that, it's the market and it has decided already, stop blaming people for not "acting" because you're clearly the outlier here.

As long as they put things people like at a price they're whiling to pay, people will buy... As any other market out there.

THE DUCK

Da fuq?

Dude chill down, they're a business, I'll treat them like I treat every business, I don't care the effort they or anyone else put as long as I like the output anyway, the price thing is only you mentally fapping tbh.

Regarding Steam Desk not shaking their ground enough, sure, it's not because "people is dumb", it's because they have a very good product for the masses, it's not you or me that decides that, it's the market and it has decided already, stop blaming people for not "acting" because you're clearly the outlier here.

As long as they put things people like at a price they're whiling to pay, people will buy... As any other market out there.

Your right, I don't drink the kool aid blindly, sorry for that. Never said people are dumb, only you did. Never said they didn't have a good product, you did.
I'm not blaming people as much as I am blaming Nintendo, no reason they couldn't just release the game, despite your excuses for them.
Yes they will continue to sell, for now.

No issues with the price of MK8. I should have made that clear. I was thinking more of the likes of Skyward Sword
Yeah, I'd agree with you there. Both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princesses HD re-releases felt somewhat extortionate. (especially with the whole amiibo thing with the former)

Top Bottom