• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct | Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isreceives paid DLC (remastered courses) 48 additional courses will be released in waves until the end of 2023

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
It's a good value. It makes business sense since MK8D is still selling like hotcakes. MK8 is also a great game. Lots of people seem happy with this move.

I personally find it disappointing though. I've been playing MK8 since 2014. By the time the DLC is fully rolled out, the game will be about ten years old. That's ten years without a truly new MK game. That's just sad. No matter how good MK8 is (It's great) and no matter how many tracks it gets (There's a lot of tracks) it's just not the same as a new game with new mechanics and improvements.

These tracks would have been interesting to me if they started coming out three years ago. It's too late now.

FLMFH2ZXwAAtnVd
FLMFJ6CXwAE0-hA

FLMFKg1XoAQG3nV
FLMFM9aXwAA_eXi

FLMFQZxXMAAF_0c

This is the worst kind of Nintendo. They are actually releasing DLC instead of releasing a new fucking game: why bother? They did it with smash.

TYRiAX

People expecting MK9 before the next Nintendo console are delusional. You tell me when there was ever more than one MK released on the same hardware.

Tams

I don't get people that complain on this offer and wanted a Mario Kart 9 game...
Like, you will have 96 HD TRACKS - that's amazing! "It's an 8 year old game!!" So what? It's still as great?! People love it.

And to the "Mario Kart 9" people... I would really like to hear your rationale behind your views. MK 8 Deluxe is still selling like crazy and have enormous, growing install base. It's easier to earn more money from these people than saying them they need to buy yet another MK game (they wouldn't anyway). What could a new MK game on the original Switch offer that the 8 Deluxe doesn't? Not much IMO

I was praying for them to not announce MK9, it would be such a waste of resources.
Some people just want the endorphin rush from getting something new, even if that new thing isn't new and maybe even worse.

Thankfully, lots of people don't care for that in this case and are more than happy to continue buying Mario Kart 8.

It's the same people who cheer the loss of the headphone jack on phones as 'innovative'. Really, they just wanted the thrill of buying something.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Some people just want the endorphin rush from getting something new, even if that new thing isn't new and maybe even worse.
I'm looking forward to Splatoon 3. Despite the fact that the game looks nearly identical to the previous entry which was also on Switch. It being a new game opens up all kinds of possibilities for new mechanics, content, modes etc. that wouldn't be possible with simple DLC. That's why a new game is exciting.

I don't understand why you think it's impossible to make a fantastic MK8D sequel on the Switch. Nintendo is capable of that, I think. They have the time, the resources, the talent. There's no reason they couldn't do that. They simply choose not to.

sn0man

I wish they would monetize this differently. I'm totally okay with the price for the amount of courses, but it will split up the online community. I also think it would be cool to get new characters instead.
They could charge $3–5 for characters like link and inklings and just release the courses free. It would achieve what you’re after pretty well.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Why do the graphics look so shitty? Mario Kart 8 has much more detail than whatever this nonsense is.
It is very simple, but it looks sort of claymation-esque to me. It makes me think of the Earthbound promos.

That's probably more unintended effect than artistic choice though. They probably kept that level simple to match the original limited geometry of the original. *shrug*

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The enjoyable thing about this announcement is that it means Nintendo really won't replace the Switch for another 2-3 years. Let's be honest: they've always operated along a franchise checklist, and that list is just about at its end. Yet this console continues to sell like crazy and shows no sign of slowing down, so the incentive is there to keep the party rolling on. But what else to come up with for software? Enter DLC and Expansion Packs and use Smash Bros. as the inspiration. The result is, essentially, a "new" Mario Kart without actually creating a new Mario Kart. Nintendo gets to pad out its best-selling racing title, and they also get to keep their "one entry per system" rule.

Personally, I'm loving this and can't wait to see what Nintendo comes up with.

CS Lurker

I didn't see any hover/zero-g sections in the trailer. Did I just miss them, or are these not updated except visually?

I get that you don't want to totally change the courses, but there are opportunities for natural shifts some in some levels, and it just seems odd not to use the game's main mechanic, even for legacy courses.
From the 8 tracks showed, 6 are coming from MKTour (2 native from Tour and 4 classics that were already remade for it. And I'm pretty sure the other 2 tracks are also coming to MKTour at some point). Now, Tour doesn't have anti-gravity mechanics...

Personally, I'm not expecting either anti-gravity sections or tracks that were made exclusively for MK8D (and that are not coming to MKTour)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I agree it looks crap but you are seeing from a view you won't see in-game.
I suspect it looks better from a driving view.
Another possibility is that it's a different group remaking those courses rather than the team that made the courses for MK8D (since the extra courses that came with the switch version fit in far better than these newer tracks seem to). Just my 2 cents.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Another possibility is that it's a different group remaking those courses rather than the team that made the courses for MK8D (since the extra courses that came with the switch version fit in far better than these newer tracks seem to). Just my 2 cents.

That seems pretty likely. Probably young crew, while the veterans work on Mario Kart 9. I think they courses look great though.

Meesh

It's weird, but I completely ignored this news. DLC for 8........ k. We ain't milked this cow long enough, farmer Luigi?

Where's 9? That's the burning question.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks like the tracks are the ones Nintendo made for the mobile Mario Kart. They’re just recycling them for the Switch.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nintendo even said that themselves. They're from all Mario Karts including the phone one.
No. That’s not what this is saying. They remastered those tracks for Mario Kart Tour and they’re just taking those remastered tracks from the mobile game and adding them to the Switch one. As in, these AREN’T new and you can play them right now for free on the mobile game.

Edder1

Nintendo even said that themselves. They're from all Mario Karts including the phone one.
In this case they're from mobile version specifically as mobile version has had tons of those old tracks remastered already. Nintendo are basically touching up remastered tracks for mobile and bringing them over to Switch. This is classic Nintendo

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
No. That’s not what this is saying. They remastered those tracks for Mario Kart Tour and they’re just taking those remastered tracks from the mobile game and adding them to the Switch one. As in, these AREN’T new and you can play them right now for free on the mobile game.

Ah like that. Oh well. Check the gamexplain video, they look great.

I'm sure all of these new tracks will be added to Mario Kart 9 too. 100+ tracks!

I'm pretty skeptical that you can just copy and paste tracks like that, like you're suggesting. Are they even in the same engine? The drifting and controls are so wildly different as well. Would it really take them until the end of 2023 if that's all they're doing?

Sounds like an exaggeration, but I guess we'll see next month.

VN1X

Banned
I wonder if that means they really did the minimum amount of work? In that these remastered versions don't even include the gravity gimmick from MK8 in any of them?

I mean obviously I'd love to play any of these old tracks from the N64 and SNES era in glorious HD but I wouldn't mind it if they spruced it up a bit with the new mechanics as well...

Edder1

I'm pretty skeptical that you can just copy and paste tracks like that, like you're suggesting. Are they even in the same engine? The drifting and controls are so wildly different as well. Would it really take them until the end of 2023 if that's all they're doing?

You're talking about a company that put an expiration date on a digital version of a game so that people would rush to buy it. The fact that it's taking them so long could mean that It's a small team doing this project while the main team focuses on other projects (Mario Kart 9 etc), or they're purposefully delaying it to bridge gap to 9th entry.

Last edited:
I wonder if that means they really did the minimum amount of work? In that these remastered versions don't even include the gravity gimmick from MK8 in any of them?

I mean obviously I'd love to play any of these old tracks from the N64 and SNES era in glorious HD but I wouldn't mind it if they spruced it up a bit with the new mechanics as well...
The trailer even shows the gravity stuff in action so I think there's a bit more work than just a simple porting job from mobile happening here.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Mario Kart Tour is just a version of Mario Kart 8 modified to use swipe controls.

You know it’s kinda funny when I bought my Switch I didn’t have any intention of getting Mario Kart, but then one of my friends gave me an extra copy he had for some reason.

Probably not gonna get this pack; I really don’t play it that often, but it would be an extra good deal for me since I got the game for free.99.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is the one thing I really hoped Nintendo wouldn't do, bleh.

It's really cool of them to have the DLC but I play MK8 on the Wii U and clearly these tracks aren't making their way to the Wii U eShop, lol. Now I'd have to buy it on Switch and pay for the extra DLC. Still might do it if I can find a used copy for a decent price but I've already bought the game new and paid for the Wii U DLC, not gonna spend $60+ on it again.

48 tracks is insane though. MK8 is insanely fun.

Last edited:

McHuj

Game still looks great and plays great so this is a good move.

Launch the Switch successor with proper MK9 that can differentiate itself easily from MK8.

Astral Dog

Oh sweet naive child... When switch dos releases Nintendo will launch Mario kart 8 Deluxe Royale edition.
I believe we will see a 9 for Switch 2 since Nintendo needs ways to sell the thing, but tbh i don't see any reason for Mario Kart 9 on the current Switch when Deluxe+DLC works fine.

Sequel should be more impactful, on Switch it would just be more of the same

Top Bottom