• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo better have the biggest, most epic January Direct ...

Who currently has control over Nintendo?

• Total voters
I don't feel like we got much from Sony either, I mean Ghost is a beautiful looking game but it's been known about for a very long time. Xbox is just itching to ditch the Xbox One at this point, no surprise they came out in full force with a very early console reveal. Feels like you are splitting hairs and trying to turn a non controversy into a fail.

We didn't get anything from anyone, we got a bunch of stuff we already knew about. Ghost of Sushi had very little gameplay for a game that's 6 months away, we got a name and console design for the new Xbox which is okay, but it was so inconsequential it feels like Microsoft is punting the next generation already. I'm not excusing Nintendo, as a huge Nintendo fan it sucked to see every WORLD PREMIERE and get excited and see some mongolian League of Legends spinoff. I just think it was bad for all 3 and somehow even worse for Google.

TexMex

I agree Nintendo had the weakest showing but not by much at all. We barely got anything, from anyone. In 3 and a half hours there was almost nothing to be excited about announced.

Jubenhimer

Sony only showed up with Ghosts, which is just an extended version of the Trailer they showed during SoP earlier this week. Only Microsoft brought big announcements at TGA this year. In Nintendo's case, they typically announce the bulk of their games the year they release. So you'll have to wait until January to what they have planned.

Codes 208

Because Nintendo historically showed 1st-party stuff (BotW, Smash Bros, etc.).

I really hope this isn't a sign of Nintendo being once again content with its current success and starting to slack.
Historically When? Nintendo has always been more of “show some small stuff here and there at events, leave big announcements for directs”

like the botw/switch release date trailer was during a direct in january back in 2017 just prior to launch.

Kagey K

Banned
My son was very disappointed in the lack of Switch news. He felt like everyone got a big reveal except Nintendo. When nothing came after Reggie he was very upset.

I get Nintendo does their own thing, but they need to include themselves in some of these multi console game events.

Jubenhimer

My son was very disappointed in the lack of Switch news. He felt like everyone got a big reveal except Nintendo. When nothing came after Reggie he was very upset.

I get Nintendo does their own thing, but they need to include themselves in some of these multi console game events.

You got BD II. Sony didn't really reveal anything either. TGAs this year was pretty light on "Big" reveals in general, probably because next gen is so close.

Kagey K

Banned
It feels like they could have held off in some content drops and made MARIO Maker 2.0 a deal here. I dint even know what games he had hoped to see, but he felt like Nintendo had nothing for him.

cryptoadam

Banned
Nintendo has Odyssey 2 and Kart 9 up its sleeve.

I can also see a Splatoon 3 possibly.

They don't have to play all their cards but I expect those 2 Mario games and Zelda to be there for the first year/year and a half for next gen. Also think they will have the Switch pro and probably do price drop for Switch OG and MAYBE light. I can see 199/249/299 option, or 149/199/299 options.

Shifty1897

I'm completely baffled by everyone's expectation that The Game Awards was going to be E3 2019 Part II. Why would you share the spotlight with Sony or Microsoft when you have all the attention for yourself with a Direct?

2020 is shaping up to be another amazing year for Nintendo. They are already winning the console generation in Japan, and they're doing great worldwide. All y'all need to chill.

2020 is shaping up to be another amazing year for Nintendo.

No, It's not.

What we know so far:

- shit-port TMS
- Animal Crossing (if you like cute furries ...)
- Xenoblade DE (love it, but it's the 3rd release of the game, come on ...)
- maybe BotW2

I don't see the 'amazing'. This is what I hate about fellow Nintendo-fans: Expectations are *so* lowered that it's ridiculous. If I dare expect a new monolith soft-game in 2020 on top of their Xenoblade remaster, they'll be like "lol, you have skyhigh expectations, dude". No, i have not. I have a bare minimum of expectations, which is: Ports/remasters and a furry-sim game are not enough.

So pls, spare me the 'amazing'.

(sorry for the rant, nothing against you personally. Just saw a lot of that behavior in the Nintendo Direct-thread on resetera ... sigh)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Another generic cookie cutter JRPG by Square done by some Btier team and bunch of interns.

Imagine if they did a brand spanking new Tactics Ogre or a brand new Final Fantasy Tactics. Naaah!
It's not a B-Tier team. They literally make their own extremely impressive engine and license it to others.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
People still expecting Nintendo to compete in the breaking news field when competitors have big stuff to announce genuinely baffle me.

Nintendo has been out of that for a while now. They understand the hype game and by now they know that even the best Mario game of the century wouldn’t steal the show from a new console reveal or Naughty Dog/Rockstar’s next big thing. This is why they brought just one game - their best Zelda game in more than a decade - to E3 in 2016, and it delivered. They knew that would be big enough - but only that. This is why they switched to Directs. They know they aren’t the biggest fish in the pond and will just make their own pond instead.

I’d be surprised to get big reveals in January, though. Seems a bit early.

Jooxed

Gold Member
For this post please refer to my post here

Lost an avatar bet. 1 month 🤷‍♀️🐧

Homie you gonna trigger a whole lotta people with that avatar

A bet he made with himself, and other people saying please don't

RealGassy

Banned
It's not a B-Tier team. They literally make their own extremely impressive engine and license it to others.

They? Who are you refering to exactly?
Not sure what that graphics engine has to do with anything, or the generic cookie cutter JRPG some Btier team at Square or Silicon Studio is making.

Last edited:
People still expecting Nintendo to compete in the breaking news field when competitors have big stuff to announce genuinely baffle me.

Nintendo has been out of that for a while now. They understand the hype game and by now they know that even the best Mario game of the century wouldn’t steal the show from a new console reveal or Naughty Dog/Rockstar’s next big thing. This is why they brought just one game - their best Zelda game in more than a decade - to E3 in 2016, and it delivered. They knew that would be big enough - but only that. This is why they switched to Directs. They know they aren’t the biggest fish in the pond and will just make their own pond instead.

I’d be surprised to get big reveals in January, though. Seems a bit early.

Avatar bet: When Monolith Soft finally reveals its new open world, medieval fantasy action-rpg ip, people will forget about nextgen consoles for a couple days.

You're being unfair and wrong dismissing Nintendo's #1 ambitious studio.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ghost of Tsushima is worth a 100 Bravely Defaults :/
Ghost of Tsushima RELEASE DATE. We are comparing announcements, not games. They have been milking this one game for years.

I'm massively hyped for GoT. I think Sucker Punch blows away Naughty Dog, who are overrated and only make TPS games over and over. GoT will be my GOTY for 2020 almost surely.

But in terms of announcements at the show, all they showed is a new trailer and release date for a game I've been waiting patiently for for several years. A release date announcement isn't actually as big of an announcement as an entirely new game reveal.

noqtic

Honestly can't say I was expecting much from TGA. The only company that showed something impressive was Microsoft, though I personally enjoyed seeing the No More Heroes 3 trailer (the extended cut is great), been dying to play it and I can't wait till 2020.

No, It's not.

What we know so far:

- shit-port TMS
- maybe BotW2

I don't see the 'amazing'. This is what I hate about fellow Nintendo-fans: Expectations are *so* lowered that it's ridiculous. If I dare expect a new monolith soft-game in 2020 on top of their Xenoblade remaster, they'll be like "lol, you have skyhigh expectations, dude". No, i have not. I have a bare minimum of expectations, which is: Ports/remasters and a furry-sim game are not enough.

(sorry for the rant, nothing against you personally. Just saw a lot of that behavior in the Nintendo Direct-thread on resetera ... sigh)

It's not good for mental health to go to Resetera. :p

I mean we are expecting more than the known games for 2020. Thats normal, there will be more games. I hoped for a new BotW trailer too, but i don't really care if they show it in the next months. I also hope Monolithsoft gets a second game ready for 2020, we don't know, but it's a possibility when looking at their releases of the last 10 years. Xenoblade will be a pretty fine remake graphically either way, they took it to the new engine, new lighting, the shoulder is playable, environments and probably all models got higher polycounts etc. It's one of my favourite games and i can't wait to play it with more modern graphics.

You forgot to mention this lil game for your list

And as i said i expect much more to be announced in the next months, hopefully bayonetta 3 and SMT V too.

People are free to rant, Nintendo needs critics too, but at the moment i don't know what to play first, so my anger is quite nonexistent.

Another generic cookie cutter JRPG by Square done by some Btier team and bunch of interns.

Imagine if they did a brand spanking new Tactics Ogre or a brand new Final Fantasy Tactics. Naaah!

Fans have been crying for a new Bravely for years though and they got one. It's a matter of taste, i mean i would have preffered a non "chibi" style too (but it's the same style the series is known for, just more detailed models), but i wouldn't care for FFT or Tactics ogre. I want Xenogears Remaster/Remake or a new Chrono. Bravely is ok too, but not the best SE could offer. Mana Remake is coming too and looking quite fine.

magnumpy

nintendo is a japanese company, japanese gamers weren't watching the game awards which is a western show in english for english speakers.

stranno

aPdnmDQ.png

Shifty1897

No, It's not.

What we know so far:

- shit-port TMS
- maybe BotW2

It's cool. I like animal crossing, am excited for the Xenoblade Remake, would totally buy BOTW2 if it comes out, but also Bayonetta 3 is rumored for 2020, Deadly Premonition 2 is a Switch exclusive at launch, and No More Heroes 3 has me hyped from the trailer. And I'm sure the January Direct will have some new announcements as well.

Vawn

Banned
It's just the Game Awards. Microsoft made the strange move of unveiling the next console there, but it isn't typically the spot where the biggest titles are revealed.

oagboghi2

Not a Nintendo game, and spare us the 'b-but published by Nintendo' excuse ... 🙄
:messenger_tears_of_joy: how is that an excuse?

No, It's not.

What we know so far:

- shit-port TMS
- maybe BotW2

honestly, you just sound childish

Last edited:
Last year around this time, we didn't know about Link's Awakening and Mario Maker 2 yet either. There's still plenty of time for Nintendo to fill up their schedule with new releases. Personally I'd rather have a substantial announcement like Bravely Default over... Cranky Kong, yet another DLC character for Smash or Wii U ports.

Nintendo always has their own timetable. They never really do things when you think they should. Where’s Bayonetta 3, or Metroid? Nintendo’s 2020 looks barren at the moment, and we know there are games coming.

RealGassy

Banned
Fans have been crying for a new Bravely for years though and they got one. It's a matter of taste, i mean i would have preffered a non "chibi" style too (but it's the same style the series is known for, just more detailed models), but i wouldn't care for FFT or Tactics ogre. I want Xenogears Remaster/Remake or a new Chrono. Bravely is ok too, but not the best SE could offer. Mana Remake is coming too and looking quite fine.
Yes, that's all fine and rosy.
The point is that there's plenty of generic cookie cutter JRPGs on the Switch (some of them with pretty high production values like the DQXI),
and this annoucement really doesn't add much to Switch lineup outside of whatever fanbase there is for Bravely.

A brand new FFT or brand new Tactics Ogre would have done an order of magnitude more to variety and oomph of the Switch lineup than another generic JRPG. But again, it's Square and having expectations of anything good from them are a guaranteed disappointment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom