• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo better have the biggest, most epic January Direct ...

Who currently has control over Nintendo?

• Total voters

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t think we really “needed” anything from Nintendo. They had a spectacular year, software wise, and we know about several huge games coming next year and even more on the horizon.

Also, there’s no fucking way Nintendo is revealing stuff outside of their Direct, first. At least not big first party stuff. I’m way more worried about Sony right now than I am about Nintendo — Nintendo is really just getting started this gen.

Another generic cookie cutter JRPG by Square done by some Btier team and bunch of interns.

Imagine if they did a brand spanking new Tactics Ogre or a brand new Final Fantasy Tactics. Naaah!
They? Who are you refering to exactly?
Not sure what that graphics engine has to do with anything, or the generic cookie cutter JRPG some Btier team at Square or Silicon Studio is making.
Yes, that's all fine and rosy.
The point is that there's plenty of generic cookie cutter JRPGs on the Switch (some of them with pretty high production values like the DQXI),
and this annoucement really doesn't add much to Switch lineup outside of whatever fanbase there is for Bravely.

A brand new FFT or brand new Tactics Ogre would have done an order of magnitude more to variety and oomph of the Switch lineup than another generic JRPG. But again, it's Square and having expectations of anything good from them are a guaranteed disappointment.
Okay.

The point of my post was only to show that there was indeed an announcement related to Nintendo in the form of a new game coming to Switch next year.

Who knows what they will announce next month? Maybe Final Fantasy Tactics or a mature first-party Nintendo game?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Avatar bet: When Monolith Soft finally reveals its new open world, medieval fantasy action-rpg ip, people will forget about nextgen consoles for a couple days.

You're being unfair and wrong dismissing Nintendo's #1 ambitious studio.
Bruh, that studio (whose works I love, btw) didn't even cross my mind while I was typing that post, LOL.

Seriously, take It easy. I didn't even follow the event and a new console reveal is so par for the course these days, it barely affects my day.

Monolith can announce their new game when they're ready and I bet more than an avatar that I'll be excited when they do, but... unfair? Where? When? No intention to be unfair in my previous post, at all. I love Nintendo's output, I'm just not sure they'll have a Direct in January, that's all.

You do not know OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts then, he is the most excitable Nintendo fan I know. And his expectations are always high. Personally, I expect a 2020 with zero new good games by Nintendo (one of which Animal Crossing).

Then you're the least excitable one ;o

I expect at least a new game from the Mario-team. One that's listening to the criticism against Odyssey (no more star moon inflation).

I just love the title of the thread “Nintendo better have the biggest, most epic January Direct ...“
Or else, what? OP is going to fly to Kyoto and spank the entire Board of Directors? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

... god, if they don't deserve that for the longest time!!1 🐧

- stop rehashing Starfox, nobody wants an arcady shooter in 2020! Make a Starfox-game based on Binary Domain!

- stop making these godawful irrelevant 2d-platformers that only rely on visuals (Kirby, Yoshi).

- find out who's corrupt at TPC/Gamefreak an pocketing all the money that should go into the next Pokemon's budget!

- what have RetroStudios done in the past 6 years?!

- Don't forget the Xenoblade X Switch-port!!1

- Better rename Metroid Prime 4 to Metroid 5. Continue the main story!

- Make a new F-Zero! Flip Miyamoto's table if he repeats his bs of 'there's nothing new to add'. Full hd 60fps with 30 player-online would make it plenty 'new'

- make Paper Mario 3 proper. It's not so hard!

- if there's another Donkey Kong, have it be a 3d-game!

- people liked Kid Icarus. Why not make a sequel?!

- pay the money to get a netflix/prime app on Switch. How hard can it be?!

And so on.
I could slap Nintendo's leadership for days, my dude ...!

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't know why people who appear to be longtime Nintendo fans expect Nintendo to suddenly start behaving differently than they have all along.

Definitely.

The thing is that you can usually get a good idea of what will be coming up and when just based on their past actions.

There will be ONE huge Nintendo game for 2020 that will release in the late October to early November period.
2017 was Mario Odyssey. 2018 was Smash. 2019 was Pokemon.
I would not expect them to ever deviate from this with the exception of a console launching with a big game attached.
So you will get an announcement on their big 2020 game in Q1 2019 at some point.

There will be an approximately 4 to 7 month window from announcement to release for any medium sized game (New Super Mario U Deluxe, Links Awakening, Luigis Mansion 3). I would say that the latest you will ever see a release date before launch would be 2 months out.

Any games that are "releasing now" will be indie projects or DLC or existing games.

For example if Metroid Prime Trilogy is real and is a remastered version then it would have a physical release and probably a special edition and would most likely be announced a solid 6 months from release.

Same goes for Pikmin or anything else people are predicting. Announcement will be several months from release.

The January Direct will go down the same way as every other Nintendo Direct.
People will see it for what it is. Basically a list of upcoming games.
Other people will be mad that their much anticipated preferences were "ignored" again.

My prediction is that 2020 will have.
Xenoblade Chronicles and Animal Crossing (we already know this).
Some Pokemon spin off.
Metroid Prime Trilogy (they'd be crazy to have ignored demand for this).
Another Wii U game that will be ported over (Pikmin 3 seems likely)
Something Zelda related (not BotW2)
Possibly Bayonetta 3.
Their big 2020 game will be Mario Kart 9.

I don't think we'll see BotW 2 until late 2021.
I'd also imagine that by this time next year the Switch itself will be due for a revised iteration.

Last edited:
Ok, you wanna do this? I'll give you my *perfectly reasonable* 2020 expectations for Nintendo Switch. If you call thst 'expecting too much', I don't know anymore:

January: TMS (censored),
February: Brain Age
March: Animal Crossing
April: Xenoblade Chronicles DE
May: Pikmin 3.5
June: Fire Emblem remake
July: Splatoon Adventure (bridging the story between 2 and the future 3rd game)
August: Monolith Soft's new IP
September: Mario Party 2
October: Fatal Frame 6
November: Pokemon (remake)
December: BotW2

So let's take a look:
3-4 old games
2 casual games
3 cartoony family-games
1 horror-game
2 ambitious enthusiast games

Is *that* expected too much?! Please ...

Saruhashi

Banned
Ok, you wanna do this? I'll give you my *perfectly reasonable* 2020 expectations for Nintendo Switch. If you call thst 'expecting too much', I don't know anymore:

So let's take a look:
3-4 old games
2 casual games
3 cartoony family-games
1 horror-game

I don't know.
We can only really go on what has been announced and what has been (believably) rumored.

I think expecting very specific games is too much, for sure.
Expecting at least 12 new games in general is perfectly reasonable.

We can look at previous announcements and compare to when the games actually released.

For example, Astral Chain was a complete unknown until February 2019 and then it released at the end of August.
So probably they have a couple of unannounced games. They could pretty much be anything though.

On the other hand Daemon X Machina announced on June 2018 with a pretty clear vision and looking in OK shape but that game didn't release until September 2019, 15 months later.

So even with teaser trailers we don't know if a game is in development hell or what.

Mario Maker 2 announced in February. Launched June 2019.

No More Heroes 3 is supposed to be 2020 but that looks like a total rush job to me.
I think Bayonetta 3 would be 2020.
I do not think BotW2 will make 2020 at all. If it does then I expect it to be a much smaller game.

The list of quality Wii U games that could make the leap to Switch seems pretty short now.
Mario 3D World would be a good shout for 2020 if Odyssey 2 or Galaxy 3 or whatever will be 2021.
XC1 is 2020 so I would expect XCX to come in 2021.
What else is there? Pikmin 3? Wonderful 101?

They have so many existing IPs but which ones will realistically get new games?
Splatoon will DEFINITELY get something new eventually.
Paper Mario? Mario & Luigi? These seem certain to get new entries.
We know they haven't given up on Metroid but who knows when we'll get a new one.
Arms? Star Fox? Wario? That Mario Soccer game?
Hyrule Warriors?

The February 2019 Direct seemed to be their big one this year with a lot of the main announcements for 2019 taking place there.
The "Pokemon Direct" was 2 weeks after that.

So I doubt we'll be able to say much until February at this rate.

In 2019 they had.
February Direct (and a Pokemon Direct)
Mario Maker Direct in May
Another Pokemon Direct in June
The E3 Direct in June
September Direct

That's it?

Anyway, expecting 12 new games is perfectly reasonable. I think they will have more than 12 through the year.
Expecting 12 specific titles is probably unrealistic and unreasonable.
For example, that new untitled Monolith Soft could be in any state right now.
It might be announced in Feb and released by July or it could be a Summer 2021 game. How can we know enough to expect anything?

Saruhashi

Banned
Did Nintendo ever use Game Awards to drop major bombs or not so much.

They did in 2017 with the Bayonetta 3 teaser.
I bet they regret that though as it's 2 years later and nothing more than this teaser exists for the game.

They also dropped the DLC for BotW that night.

Last year I think they announced Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker for Smash.

This year they announced Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3.

"Not so much" seems to be the answer. They seem to keep their big announcements for the Nintendo Directs.

Shaqazooloo

I had no expectations for the game awards so i'm not really disappointed.

So let's take a look:
3-4 old games
2 casual games
3 cartoony family-games
1 horror-game

I wouldn't expect the bolded since we haven't heard anything about them. Splatoon might be a once a generation thing and I don't think they'll make a spin-off for it this soon. Fire Emblem remake isn't happening next year, from what I gather they tend to space mainline Fire Emblem game out every 2 or 3 years, plus they already have Tokyo Mirage Sessions releasing in January and the big story DLC for Three Houses. Maybe replace them with Bayo and that'd be more realistic.

StormCell

So let's take a look:
3-4 old games
2 casual games
3 cartoony family-games
1 horror-game

I'm torn, because I, personally, don't think that's a lot. However, I know how Nintendo tends to space content, and I just can't see them nailing every month with a release. They treat their stuff like it's pure gold, even retro content. I think you should expect half to two thirds of that list.

My opinion: I'd forget about June's and July's items. Forget September's.

My extended opinion: It's probably expecting too much to expect another Pokemon game this year. Did we ever learn anything more regarding The Pokemon Compoany's Creature's Inc. being removed from Game Freak's website? I suspect there could be a growing rift between Pokemon and Game Freak...

The rest of the list is good: TMS, Brain Age, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Pikmin update, Monolith Soft game, Fatal Frame, BotW2. Annnd... I expect to find out about some new games coming out later this year and early next year. That will sum up 2020 for the Big N.

Shaqazooloo

Do what I do. Try not to have expectations and save all your hype for E3, then 2 days before it happens, drop all the hype and focus on next years E3.

Caffeine

they just had a indie showcase on tuesday, and announce a game during game awards. January I assume they will drop metroid prime trilogy hd, super metroid hd which have been rumored for that fiscal year. a new breath of the wild 2 trailer still sporting the 2020 release date. possibly a new animal crossing trailer. A new character reveal for smash bros, the brain age game, and a couple other small gems they have. 2020 is banking on zelda tbh. I wouldnt be shocked with a twilight princess hd and wind waker hd port collection also.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

How many times are people gonna say they expect Metroid Prime Trilogy and get disappointed when it doesn't get revealed before they finally get the hint that's its not guaranteed?

Saruhashi

Banned
How many times are people gonna say they expect Metroid Prime Trilogy and get disappointed when it doesn't get revealed before they finally get the hint that's its not guaranteed?

To be fair I think it would be pretty crazy at this point if Nintendo haven't at least been working on it for a while now.
Maybe it was never their intention but the fan demand has probably made them consider it.

The real question for me is if it will just be a straight re-release with controls redone to work on the Switch or if it will be a remaster.
Either way I don't think it would be an "available right now" situation.

People are thick as mince.

It’s obvious that Sony & Nintendo knew that MS was going to show the Scarlett - although these guys are in competition, a healthy interest in games is good for all of them.

They let MS do their thing and in turn they will respond in due course.

To keep things buzzing and alive all the companies need to work together in that sense - taking turns to show their stuff and that’s what will happen. It doesn’t mean any of them are ‘in trouble’ - so many drama queens on message boards.

It’s quite likely that Nintendo understands that one good game is enough to go up against a lacklustre launch line up that most consoles fall into.

I would assume they think BOTW2 is enough to go up against the Sex Box and PS5 along with a Switch price cut.

Then, when tech has matured a bit they can launch a Switch Pro or Switch 2 when the other consoles start finding their feet and look to be pulling ahead.

Nintendo has a history of understanding that ‘one great game’ can turn the tables and I expect this is what they are hoping BOTW2 to be.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I'm torn, because I, personally, don't think that's a lot. However, I know how Nintendo tends to space content, and I just can't see them nailing every month with a release. They treat their stuff like it's pure gold, even retro content. I think you should expect half to two thirds of that list.

My opinion: I'd forget about June's and July's items. Forget September's.

My extended opinion: It's probably expecting too much to expect another Pokemon game this year. Did we ever learn anything more regarding The Pokemon Compoany's Creature's Inc. being removed from Game Freak's website? I suspect there could be a growing rift between Pokemon and Game Freak...

The rest of the list is good: TMS, Brain Age, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Pikmin update, Monolith Soft game, Fatal Frame, BotW2. Annnd... I expect to find out about some new games coming out later this year and early next year. That will sum up 2020 for the Big N.

It would be interesting to see how the next gen might affect Nintendo's decisions over the next 2 to 3 years.

They could go all in for 2020 knowing that sales will slow down after the holidays when people are picking up the new consoles and everyone is hyped to see the next gen performance.

Or they could hold off knowing that the early period for the new consoles tends to be rough and a few solid Nintendo games in early 2021 could entice some people away from the big home consoles.

I think once 2021 hits the Switch will be really up against it and probably their best chance is to have games that can't be ignored.

On the other hand one of the big challenges for the new consoles in late 2020 will be the launch prices, any launch issues and availability at launch. They may well be able to shift a good few Switches if they have a couple of games that could sway people.

Once PS4 and Xbox SX get going into ate 2021, 2022 and 2023 I think it will be very difficult for Nintendo to maintain relevancy without coming up with new hardware.

Jooxed

Gold Member

People aren't going to realize the game is done but it doesn't make sense to push it until closer to MP4

Shaqazooloo

To be fair I think it would be pretty crazy at this point if Nintendo haven't at least been working on it for a while now.
Maybe it was never their intention but the fan demand has probably made them consider it.
I'm just getting slightly annoyed that around every event now, everybody seems to expect Metroid Prime Trilogy based off rumors or conjecture and then getting disappointed when it doesn't show. It's like Mother 3 all over again.

Yeah, sure guys, i'm sure it'll be announced any day now. Maybe stop setting yourselves up for disappointment and getting mad at Nintendo for it? No? Ok then...

The real question for me is if it will just be a straight re-release with controls redone to work on the Switch or if it will be a remaster.
Either way I don't think it would be an "available right now" situation.
It'd probably be a re-release. I don't see Nintendo having enough confidence in Metroid to put the money into remastering those three games.

StormCell

It would be interesting to see how the next gen might affect Nintendo's decisions over the next 2 to 3 years.

They could go all in for 2020 knowing that sales will slow down after the holidays when people are picking up the new consoles and everyone is hyped to see the next gen performance.

Or they could hold off knowing that the early period for the new consoles tends to be rough and a few solid Nintendo games in early 2021 could entice some people away from the big home consoles.

I think once 2021 hits the Switch will be really up against it and probably their best chance is to have games that can't be ignored.

On the other hand one of the big challenges for the new consoles in late 2020 will be the launch prices, any launch issues and availability at launch. They may well be able to shift a good few Switches if they have a couple of games that could sway people.

Once PS4 and Xbox SX get going into ate 2021, 2022 and 2023 I think it will be very difficult for Nintendo to maintain relevancy without coming up with new hardware.

I think we're all still waiting for a "Switch Pro" which would be the wisest choice. I don't want them to take a revolutionary step up from the Switch. I'm really happy with Switch. I think they should offer better hardware every 3 years (one step forward) and quietly begin to phase out software support for hardware that is "two steps" back. There's no sense in jumping to a Switch 2 that will totally segment the install base.

Shaqazooloo

People aren't going to realize the game is done but it doesn't make sense to push it until closer to MP4
This is another thing. I could maybe forgive it if it wasn't wishful thinking and made sense but people are expecting Metroid Prime trilogy to come out when Metroid Prime 4 is still 2 to 4 years away...

You know, if Nintendo *really* wanted to shock the world, they'd announce that monolith soft is working on Xenogears or Xenosaga remake. And I really mean remake, not remaster. Featuring fantastic graphics with an artstye closer to the artworks or Disaster: Day of Crisis. It'd be a huge project, basically Nintendo's FF7R - except that Gears/Saga are much better games. ;p

Only difficulty would be Square Enix, who really hate to cooperare. But one can dream. Man, I'd be happy with a Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster done by Monolith Soft using XB2 assets, really ... 🙈

You know, if Nintendo *really* wanted to shock the world, they'd announce that monolith soft is working on Xenogears or Xenosaga remake. And I really mean remake, not remaster. Featuring fantastic graphics with an artstye closer to the artworks or Disaster: Day of Crisis. It'd be a huge project, basically Nintendo's FF7R - except that Gears/Saga are much better games. ;p

Only difficulty would be Square Enix, who really hate to cooperare. But one can dream. Man, I'd be happy with a Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster done by Monolith Soft using XB2 assets, really ... 🙈
You're not going to see a Xenogears remake by Monolith Soft since the IP is owned by Square Enix.

You're also overestimating the series' popularity if you think either remake would shock the world. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the highest-selling game in the series at 1.5 million worldwide while the Xenosaga series was considered a commercial disappointment. It is a series that, maybe outside of Xenoblade Chronicles X, has always sold better in Japan.

Xenogears itself is really one of those one-off, underrated gems, like SEGA's Skies of Arcadia, both of which had a sequel in development before they were canceled due to sales not being high enough.

Last edited:

Thabass

I feel we won't be seeing BotW2 again until well into next year, as I think it'll be more of an early Spring 2021 release like the original.

Thinking BOTW2 is gonna release next year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ghost of Tsushima is worth a 100 Bravely Defaults :/
So.....you want AAA western game from Nintendo?
I’m looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima but for Bravery 2 was best announcement on that award show, it doesn’t you yourself don’t care but lot of us do.

Soltype

New Zelda, new Mario, new f zero , new star fox, new no more heroes, new bayonetta ,new baten kaitos, new startropics, Nintendo's bringing it 2020.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I dunno if it's gonna be epic, but...they gotta do one soon.

Animal Crossing release date is approaching.

OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts You think a Pokemon remake will release next year? Thats probably not gonna happen, they still have to release the enhanced version of Sword and Shield.

Hasn't been a thing forever. Ever since Black/White they make full-sequels.

Btw i don't *want* any Pokemon remake (i think remaking Pokemon-games is super dumb, like remaking, say, FIFA 07), but Nintendo has a Pokemon-game every year, so .

TaroYamada

Hasn't been a thing forever. Ever since Black/White they make full-sequels.

Btw i don't *want* any Pokemon remake (i think remaking Pokemon-games is super dumb, like remaking, say, FIFA 07), but Nintendo has a Pokemon-game every year, so .

Ultra Sun and Moon + Let's Go being remake of Yellow and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

cabbage5k2

I had no expectations for the game awards so i'm not really disappointed.

I wouldn't expect the bolded since we haven't heard anything about them. Splatoon might be a once a generation thing and I don't think they'll make a spin-off for it this soon. Fire Emblem remake isn't happening next year, from what I gather they tend to space mainline Fire Emblem game out every 2 or 3 years, plus they already have Tokyo Mirage Sessions releasing in January and the big story DLC for Three Houses. Maybe replace them with Bayo and that'd be more realistic.

Some speculation around the remake comes from the fact that Nintendo supposedly canceled a fire emblem remake for the 3ds once the M&L remake for the 3ds bombed on it. I have significant doubts about it having that much salvageable until I see otherwise though.

Top Bottom