• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2023 Annual Report Reveals Director Salaries Are Still Modest For The Industry

Nintendo has just published its annual report for the FY ended 31st March 2023, and it shows just how much money some of the company's biggest names take home each year.

The listing accounts for five of Nintendo's top earners, with president Shuntaro Furukawa at the top (as you might expect) followed by Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Satoru Shibata and Ko Shiota. Following the success of the Switch and developments in Nintendo's movie and theme park reach, you might expect these directors to be taking home unfathomably huge salaries, but the reality is quite different.

The report lists the five salaries in yen, so here's how it all adds up in USD (converted using Forbes Advisor):
  • Shuntaro Furukawa: $2.51m
  • Shigeru Miyamoto: $2.02m
  • Shinya Takahashi: $1.61m
  • Satoru Shibata: $1.19m
  • Ko Shiota: $910,000
nintendo-annual-report-2023-director-salaries.900x.jpg

Remember, a report published in 2022 by market intelligence firm Games One found that the highest-earning gaming CEOs were getting almost 100x the amount received by the Nintendo directors in compensation in 2020, with Activision Blizzard's Bobby Koltick near the top of the list with $154m and EA's Andrew Wilson with $34.7m.

This was lower for Japanese companies (Square Enix's Yosuke Matsuda received just over $4m in 2020 while SEGA's then-CEO Hajime Satomi got around $3m), but it certainly highlights that Nintendo has a different way of doing things.

The annual report also provides an updated list of the members of the board of directors, notes Nintendo's continued investment in companies such as Square Enix and Konami, and expresses how the company is still researching cloud computing.

Source: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...or-salaries-are-still-modest-for-the-industry
Nintendo Latest Annual Report can be found here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/annual2303e.pdf

Power Pro

thats why Nintendo able to pump out AAA and earn massive profits.

Asian salaries and working culture.

Pretty smart actually.
I've always admired this mentality about Japan's working culture, because it results in less people with huge egos. You still got some who eat it up though like Kojima, or Kamiya, but even those people still seem like they respect those they work with. At the same time though, it's also a farce when you got higher ups who still probably make way more money than they should while the people actually making the games make less than they should. Companies like Konami show that their CEOs are just as big pieces of shit who want all the profits while the workers do the heavy lifting.

Why did Iwata have to be the one who passed away so young? The CEO who actually cut his own salary so they didn't have to lay people off when profits were down.

ZoukGalaxy

Bravo for the modesty considering their position, I think also that's how it should be. Pure and heavy capitalism and dirty money simply kills any passion.

Excited Despicable Me GIF

Last edited:

MikeM

I never understood CEOs making what they do in the western world. Good on them to keep pay somewhat respectable compared to their workers.

How do they compare to just other Japanese directors?
There's a reason people come to the US to make money. Not every country has our culture.
Articles like this just sound ignorant to me.

the_master

I never understood CEOs making what they do in the western world. Good on them to keep pay somewhat respectable compared to their workers.

I am not saying they do not deserve the salaries. Just that some of them are making about 40 times what an average employee will make in the company.

Top Bottom