• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite pledges, Nintendo still has few female managers in Japan

Imagine getting angry and report someone for having a different opinion.
„i‘m not even going to give you the benefit of the doubt“, what doubt? They guy disagreed. Where is even the problem with these mentality challenged individuals?
Just remember , these folks were over here at one point in time. They had shit mods with ban hammers and agendas. So glad we have a better forum here because they left.
They don't value freedom, freedom of speech, differing opinions, and are authoritarian while calling other people fascists for disagreeing with them.
Reddit is like this too on many mainstream subs, sadly. Which scares me as I am getting older and don't want the young generation to follow that mindset.

I never understood why things need to be 50/50. Oh look, nurses are 90% female. We must fix this too, right?
They will never say that. Or garbage men being 99% men, never ever hear about needing diversity in Waste disposal. What about college. More women then men are now enrolled and graduating. You won't hear how that needs equalized either, because: "it's our turn now! The future is female...fight the patriarchy".

If it was really about equality, it would just be about equal Oppurtunites to succeed not equal outcomes (hence the term equity), and in some cases only focusing on outcomes for cush jobs or jobs that they can insert their ideology through media to "spread the message".

KBii

Banned
If it was really about equality, it would just be about equal Oppurtunites to succeed not equal outcomes (hence the term equity), and in some cases only focusing on outcomes for cush jobs or jobs that they can insert their ideology through media to "spread the message".
As you said. The word "Equality" is barely used anymore. It's been completely replaced with "Equity" and no one seemed to notice or care (let alone realize what it really meant)

Interfectum

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

shamoomoo

Even though I see your point, the recent example being that SJW talk appearing in a recent thread of Martin Scorsese upcoming film which I found really funny and weird how this guy was calling the movie woke without seeing it. Not to mention this is Martin Scorsese, his films have no trace of wokeness not even in his recent releases

As for this Nintendo thing though, it's a bullshit complaint and people here are rightfully ripping that article apart for the shit it is.

Diversity quotas should never ever be a thing, it should be based off your qualifications. Not your gender, sexuality or race. That's all
I don't understand why people say stuff like this? You do realize the point of these quotas are to ensure the people with skills who are being discriminated against have a chance to compete.

Depending on how racial or gender based discriminations comes about,the point is to make these groups or communities non-competitive and to ensure the people with the advantages to maintain them.

Tams

Yeah,that isn't how that works. The point is to balance out those who need the assistance but are help back by negative stereotypes or stuff out of their control.

Discrimination in of itself isn't the issue but how well it's implemented and enforced to correct problems.

But it is.

People who are discriminated against often feel resentment.

I haven't been distributed against as far as I know, but if I were out found out that I had, is be fucking furious even though I understand why the discrimination is done. It's still discrimination and putting someone down just because of who they are on a fundamental level.

ODESSA92

Neo Member
I don't understand why people say stuff like this? You do realize the point of these quotas are to ensure the people with skills who are being discriminated against have a chance to compete.

Depending on how racial or gender based discriminations comes about,the point is to make these groups or communities non-competitive and to ensure the people with the advantages to maintain them.
This line of thinking totally disregards the problem of labour availability. If 50% of the available labour pool were made up of female applicants, yet the industry had 90% men employed, then there would be a problem. But its not 50% women, not even close to 50%. If most applicants to jobs in this industry are men, then more men will be hired naturally. It would make no sense for a company to needlessly have a 50/50 split of employees when the vast majority in the industry are men, because what purpose would it serve other than to exclude men?

shamoomoo

This line of thinking totally disregards the problem of labour availability. If 50% of the available labour pool were made up of female applicants, yet the industry had 90% men employed, then there would be a problem. But its not 50% women, not even close to 50%. If most applicants to jobs in this industry are men, then more men will be hired naturally. It would make no sense for a company to needlessly have a 50/50 split of employees when the vast majority in the industry are men, because what purpose would it serve other than to exclude men?
So women lack ambition? Unless a job is very specific in its hiring practice like hooters,yes , I'm aware of that man who sued because of discrimination. Ignoring that and outside of personal interest,why would any institution have such a lopsided demographics if the only qualification is meeting the minimal standard?

ODESSA92

Neo Member
So women lack ambition? Unless a job is very specific in its hiring practice like hooters,yes , I'm aware of that man who sued because of discrimination. Ignoring that and outside of personal interest,why would any institution have such a lopsided demographics if the only qualification is meeting the minimal standard?
Because the standards and knowledge that is required is obtained ultimately through personal interest when choosing a career, and despite multiple different government initiatives over the past few decades to encourage women to take up subjects such as STEM for example, the take up has been poor and in some fields such as advanced mathematics, non-existent. And that's fine, men and women are different in nature and have different skills and interests. That doesn't mean to say women lack ambition, its just that men are more interested in these jobs. And it has become quite clear that is never going to change, so the quota initiative will always fail.

Last edited:

Phase

Who the fuck cares? I'm so sick of quotas. Keep lowering your standards to hire people you wouldn't normally hire just for the sake of diversity. "Oh my god did you know plumbers are 99% male? We have to change that!" No. No, you don't.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I doubt that many women even go for these jobs. I mean, I wouldn’t.

Just reading the book Upheaval from Jared Diamond where he tackles Japan’s sociological problems among many other thing. At the end of the day you are expected to put in an enormous amount of hours AND then afterwards to go for drinks with your mates at work.

No thanks. Rather stay at home and be a parent.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
We are witnessing the complete reversal of DEI. People have had enough of this BS. If a man if best qualified the man gets the job and if a women is than she does. Enough of this quota crap. Go play on ResetEra with your friends.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't know about Japan, but in America people don't usually like female executives at Nintendo. I personally loved Perrin Kaplan. She was fierce. She wasn't afraid to stick her neck out for the company.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't agree with quotas, but I do think it's important to nurture diversity of thought in the work place, and yes that includes promoting people from different backgrounds to leading roles. These people should be the best of what they do, so that usually requires mentorships programs within the company. Because the best way to learn is to have a mentor with experience.

The issue that may arise today, is that men in leading position would be afraid to mentor women because of MeToo or DEI, where you constantly have to walk on egg shells not to trigger anyone. So basically you're left with people taking the safe route which is never good in a creative field.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Folks, we going to have to accept that we need

-the mexicans for rice
-the english for the muffins
-the irish for the ale
-the french for the toast
-the swiss for the cheese
-the columbians for the asses
-the indians for the 7-11

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Anecdotal evidence, but I’ve had girlfriends tell me they don’t want to be in managerial positions when I ask them do they want to be promoted. Though to be honest I don’t what that either for myself.

YCoCg

It's Japan, most high positions are pretty much lifetime until retirement, what do they expect in two years? For them to just fire the guys for no reason or for them to quickly die off?

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is 21st century, Japan is not patriarchal or anything anymore.

1/3 of the members of upper Diet are women, just because some big Japanese corporation choose efficiency over "diversity quota" doesn't mean that it's patriarchal.
Not to mention that if Japan is old fashion in something is their traditional way of promotion based on longevity and not on performance (which is an problem for Japan general productivity iirc), and by the time most people get promoted to higher positions, most women already retired to be at home taking care of the family. This is something nobody here or in the article take into consideration because it's not common knowledge outside the country.

Historia

Banned
Not to mention that if Japan is old fashion in something is their traditional way of promotion based on longevity and not on performance (which is an problem for Japan general productivity iirc), and by the time most people get promoted to higher positions, most women already retired to be at home taking care of the family. This is something nobody here or in the article take into consideration because it's not common knowledge outside the country.
It is a bit sad because just one maternity leave and a woman's career gone.

Smokken

Banned
They lack interest in male dominated field, hence so few applicants. How can someone NOT know this in 2023, I knew this crap back in elementary school decades ago.

Non news. I'm sure Nintendo is hiring applicants based on merits and not just "he's a man".

There are tons of industries with discrepancies in genders makeup and that's just how it is, artificially changing the demographics that make them up is not only a pointless endeavor, potentially dangerous. Demographics are a bad reason to hire.

Last edited:
The only way there's going to be a sudden shift in the gender ratio is if they open up new positions for no reason or fire existing managers (you know the ones that helped make the company successful).

xiskza

Who the fuck cares? Men and women are into different things, its biology, although these days that seems to be a contended topic considering some people dont even know what a woman is.

Affirmative action quotas are trash, get rid of them.

IAmRei

While I understand the concerns, I question the motive. Shouldn’t jobs be performance based?

I also wonder why the only segment of jobs that are complained about are high level ones. Nobody questions why 99% of construction, plumbing, electrical, and basically most blue collar jobs are predominantly male.
can't be more agree, in my studio, one of the four leads, is female. not because of their gender, but because of their ability and skills.

despite the need for more females in our studio because they are not a lot in numbers here.
we do think they will need more, so they don't feel surrounded by male numbers here. so they had the same gender to talk or skit chit chat.
Here females are sometimes shy to talk to male co-workers outside of the job needs.

it is hard to find female game dev here, and not all had better skills and abilities in my industry locally. and mostly are visual department here

Doomtrain

I have a friend who worked as a recruiter for a major gaming company. She (yes, she) told me that, at one point, there was a mandate telling the recruiting team to hire more female engineers. They were told they could offer the women larger salaries than the men out of the gate and that it was okay if they weren’t as skilled. No women applied, so they spent months doing outreach. As far as I know, they never did find anyone.

The other departments didn’t have this issue. The art department, for example, was roughly 50/50, and the recruiting department was mostly women.

I work at another game studio and we had one woman in engineering at one point. She was fairly junior, but she got poached by another studio who was willing to pay her a senior-level salary. As far as I know, management has been actively trying to hire more women in engineering roles and they can’t find any who want the gig.

These are just a couple of anecdotal datapoints, so take them as you will, but I think overall, this is a much more complex and nuanced issue than most journalists like to portray it as.

NikuNashi

I knew as soon as I read that none-sense that I was dealing with a new member, checked out the profile, joined a month ago.

So tell me sherlock, how do you know if someone is being descriminated against or if that person is not the best candidate for the job? HInt: you cant, unless you are in the private post interview discussions.

daveonezero

Banned
They lack interest in male dominated field, hence so few applicants. How can someone NOT know this in 2023, I knew this crap back in elementary school decades ago.
that is because you elementary school was taught by these same females that couldn’t get hired.

Women don’t want to work the jobs that get people killed. They just fight for these jobs that men dominate for other reason other than physical attributes because they are different.

It’s not like the video game industry isn’t very democratized.

All you need is a computer and the internet to start your career.

If that isn’t a low enough bar to get some skills then what are we really talking about?

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Because it leads to better ideas, usually. I work in advertising, and when you collab on ideas I say A, someones else says we can make it AB, then someone else says but what if we turn it into upside down BA? and so on, it could build on an idea you started. Usually when you have an idea it sorta stops there because that's where your line of thought ended unless someone else says, you can make it better.

CGNoire

They will never say that. Or garbage men being 99% men, never ever hear about needing diversity in Waste disposal. What about college. More women then men are now enrolled and graduating. You won't hear how that needs equalized either, because: "it's our turn now! The future is female...fight the patriarchy".

Its always been about Revenge and never really about Justice.

Bunch of bitter hatefull people.

Top Bottom