• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite pledges, Nintendo still has few female managers in Japan

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
1688675643584.jpg

Just 4.2% of managers at Nintendo Company in Japan are women, a number unchanged since the company first reported that gender-based stat in 2021, according to recent company filings.

Driving the news: Nintendo’s annual report, published yesterday, offers further insights into the workforce at the main offices of the game maker in Japan, including a stark gender divide in pay.

Details: Women at Nintendo Co. make, on average, 72% of what men are paid, according to the annual report, the company’s first to include the pay breakdown.
  • Nintendo attributes that to issues of tenure in a place where workers stay at the company for an average of 14.3 years (and where veteran employees are mostly men).
  • “The pay gap between male and female regular employees is mainly due to differences in the length of service and average age,” the company noted: “There is no difference in treatment between men and women in terms of salary or evaluation systems.”
Between the lines: The data covers Nintendo’s Japanese offices, which employed 2,779 workers as of the end of March.

• The stats about its Japanese workforce were calculated in accordance with a 2015 law intended to promote greater participation of women in the workplace.
Yes, but: While Nintendo did not report a pay breakdown for the full company, including its subsidiaries in North America and Europe, it did recently calculate that 23.5% of its managers worldwide are women.

The big picture: Japan’s gender wage gap is the largest among the G7 nations, followed by the United States’, Reuters reports.

• In 2021, Nintendo noted it intended to increase the proportion of women in management: “We are recruiting women and creating an environment in which women can build successful careers.”

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Last edited:

killatopak

While I understand the concerns, I question the motive. Shouldn’t jobs be performance based?

I also wonder why the only segment of jobs that are complained about are high level ones. Nobody questions why 99% of construction, plumbing, electrical, and basically most blue collar jobs are predominantly male.

SeraphJan

As a woman myself, I can tell you through my personal experience that even most female manager would prefer hiring men to women (at least subconsciously, most of them are afraid to say it out loud, it could ruin her career), not because of performance or skill (women could be as skilled as men), its mainly due to a hidden factor which are very difficult to measure, "agency". Men typically have stronger agency compare to women, even men with lesser skill.

Nintendo need to keep at what they are doing, this has nothing to do with bias, its purely driven by results.

Edit: When you look at agency, you can't just look at the top 1%, try to see the average workers

Edit2: I don't think the agency difference are linked to biology, its just that in a general sense women typically have a choice of "safety measure" (if the career fails she would likely have another path to take by being a stay at home wife), where men mostly don't (if the career fails, that is the end for him). This safety measure I believe is what makes the psychological different when it comes to agency (I mean its common sense, people who can't afford to fail will of course try harder), I also believe if the expectation of the gender role were reversed, this agency difference will likely change.

Last edited:

FingerBang

While I understand the concerns, I question the motive. Shouldn’t jobs be performance based?
They are performance based. Women aren't paid less for the same position and experience, they simply tend to quit when they get married and have kids. That's how japan works.

And that's the reason there is a "gap" in the western world.

I also wonder why the only segment of jobs that are complained about are high level ones. Nobody questions why 99% of construction, plumbing, electrical, and basically most blue collar jobs are predominantly male.
Because the people who push this bull crap are either people who profit from this kind of stuff or people with a postmodern idea of history where men, especially white, have been oppressing everybody else and now we have to fight the patriarchy with quotas.

They aren't trying to solve anything. If the gender pay gap or diversity in any industry was to ever get 'fixed", they wouldn't stop. They'd move to something else to deconstruct and tear down.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As a woman myself, I can tell you through my personal experience that even most female manager would prefer hiring men to women (at least subconsciously, most of them are afraid to say it out loud, it could ruin her career), not because of performance or skill (women could be as skilled as men), its mainly due to a hidden factor which are very difficult to measure, "agency". Men typically have stronger agency compare to women, even men with lesser skill.

Nintendo need to keep at what they are doing, this has nothing to do with bias, its purely driven by results.
This is definitely not true. I couldn't care less what gender Nintendo's managers are, but I've had stone cold female bosses multiple times. There are plenty of doctors, lawyers, overflowing with agency like you can't imagine. If you want to keep it gaming related, just look at MS' lawyer in the FTC trial, or the judge.

Disco Dave

<Nintendo looks at the current "diversity hire" push that promotes physical attributes over talent and has led to the destruction of IPs>

gCCyQu3.gif

Seriously, diversity is a fucking scourge that in may cases results in inferior products. I was reading through a few posts on Reeeeeeeee in a FF16 topic and they were bitching about the lack of diversity in the game. Someone posted a HR job vacancy for Square Enix and they were all over it like tramps on chips. A few of them commented that they had applied for the position and the changes they would propose if they got the position.

Tams

Are there many females available for management positions on the Japanese market?
Ones with the appropriate and relevant skills, who know what fun is, and mostly importantly love computer games?

Seems like a very limited pool to me. Then add in, from my experience, many Japanese women still wanting to take a few years of work if they have children...

nial

Gold Member
I remember one of the founders of that place calling it a caricature of how the right sees the left, after selling it.
Did he? I would imagine he isn't that different from the rest of the people there.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh no, if only they would hire and promote people based on their gender Im sure they wouldn't be in such a bad financial situation with poor Switch sales and first party games bombing left and right

Because the whole gender inequality argument (at least in a modern first world country) only works if you compare 100% of women with the top 1% of men.
Once you compare 100% of the women with 100% of the men most of it falls apart.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've had good female managers and I've worked with terrible female managers. It's not really about gender but about qualifications. If fewer women have what it takes to be a manager then it's not a man's fault they don't have the required competencies. Hiring someone based purely on their gender is almost bound to end up in a disaster because that person will likely be unqualified to do the job properly.

Reactions: Fuz

Outlier

It's not honor, glory, or self sacrifice (hard work) they seek.
It's fame, prestige, and privilege.

Red5

Did he? I would imagine he isn't that different from the rest of the people there.

Yeah one of the founders, can't find the exact quote.

All of the original founders who left here, Shinobi, Nibel and Daniel sold RetardEra and left it. It's an echo chamber for mentally ill people now where video game discussions inevitably boils down to the dicks and vaginas for some reason.

Bergoglio

What counts are skills, what you can do. Not gender. If Nintendo has few women at executive level, and the reasons are on skills, they have acted legitimately. If, on the other hand, they had female candidates, with skills, and they cut them out, then that's another matter.

Bergoglio

The most important thing remains the fact that, if I were the CEO of Nintendo and I realize that certain skills are only found in males, then my executive will be composed of only males. And vice versa. Business is business. I don't have time to waste with social justice warriors on the street.

Ozzie666

It's amazing how people are quick to give people's money away and let someone's lively hood and business go belly up. Pick the best person for your company with a nice balance of good managing and profit making.
The people bitching aren't the ones risking their own cash or owning any companies of value. Sometimes the cards don't align, and you can't exactly advertise a great position with the caveat, females need only apply. Defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I don't really care what Japan does, different country, different culture, I can't speak to it, nor should I.

Top Bottom