• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2017 (Apr. 27-29) |OT| The Busts of Tomorrow...Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
C-SkoQGXYAAcfLJ.jpg:large

MechDX

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account
@MoveTheSticks

Latest I'm hearing...might see a run on QBs, but it'll be late 1st not top 15. Chance only 1 QB in top 15. Then 3-4 go late 1st.

Tripon

Feels like QBs are always over rated, partly because the college system right now doesn't prepare QBs for the speed and size of the NFL. It's inadequate as a farm system to develop quarterbacks.

Feels like QBs are always over rated, partly because the college system right now doesn't prepare QBs for the speed and size of the NFL. It's inadequate as a farm system to develop quarterbacks.

Kinda surprising that Nathan Peterman isn't talked about more. I think he's the only big name QB that played in a pro-system this year and looks ready to start day one. Only downside seems to be his arm is just good, not great. But I think if I was drafting a QB this year, I'd take him in the 3rd over any of these guys expected to go in the 1st.

QBs are overrated because the QB position is the most important in the league. You can draft a monster, stud defensive end and still finish 6-10 every year. Teams shoot for a QB because if you hit on one it's guaranteed job security for a front office.

Tall4Life

QBs are overrated because the QB position is the most important in the league. You can draft a monster, stud defensive end and still finish 6-10 every year. Teams shoot for a QB because if you hit on one it's guaranteed job security for a front office.

i mean the broncos basically had a stud defense and a far out of his prime peyton manning as game manager and they won the super bowl without much contest from the panthers

i'd argue the seahawks also did really well more based on their defense than their offense, minus lynch's contributions

i mean the broncos basically had a stud defense and a far out of his prime peyton manning as game manager and they won the super bowl without much contest from the panthers

i'd argue the seahawks also did really well more based on their defense than their offense, minus lynch's contributions

Looking at recent history that seems more like an outlier, and harder to sustain. Having a franchise QB not only gives you something to build around, but lends to the perception of "stability", which is something you want if you are a GM.

Hindl

That was a historic defense though. It should be up there with the 00 Ravens and 02 Bucs in terms of great modern defenses. Plus, broken Manning is still Manning. He may not have been able to make those throws anymore, but he was still basically a second coach on the field. He was able to make the presnap reads and keep things running well enough even though he couldn't physically play anymore. Like put someone like Alex Smith and I don't think that Broncos team wins

And for Eagles fans, Kempski on his report that Eagles are "no way" on Foster/Cook

Jimmy Kempski‏
@JimmyKempski
Jimmy Kempski Retweeted Jimmy Kempski
Ehhhh, so this might be wrong. I call erasies. ��

Betting it's Davis, Foster, or Cook. Which is kinda funny, the draft is really a circle. These were my initial top 3 months ago, then I moved on to other favorite prospects, and now these 3 are probably the most likely

And the best QB from the year before was the #1 overall pick, with the #2 overall pick being second best. What's your point

The best QB not selected in the draft in the last 5 years is probably Derek Carr, actually he is probably the best QB selected in the last 5 years.

Hindl

The best QB not selected in the draft in the last 5 years is probably Derek Carr, actually he is probably the best QB selected in the last 5 years.

You mean not selected in the first round? That's Wilson. And he's the best QB selected in the past 5 years anyway

Tall4Life

You mean not selected in the first round? That's Wilson. And he's the best QB selected in the past 5 years anyway

Carr (carr)ied his team to be possible Super Bowl contenders until his unfortunate injury, Russ is a great QB but he still had more tools around him to support him like his defense and Lynch.

Hindl

Carr (carr)ied his team to be possible Super Bowl contenders until his unfortunate injury, Russ is a great QB but he still had more tools around him to support him like his defense and Lynch.

Carr had one of the best offensive lines in the league last year along with one of the best young receivers in Amari Cooper with Crabtree being no slouch either. Carr is a fantastic QB and I can see him being a top 5 QB soon but I'm taking Wilson over him

I'd argue that he's not a top 10 QB, he's been riding a top 5 defense for awhile, his o-line has been shit for the last few years so his numbers are down. If you ask most people if you rather have Derek Carr or Wilson, I'm sure the majority would say Carr. Wilson simply can't make the throws Carr throws (Especially with a broken throwing pinky).

Actually who is the best draft pick in the last 5 years?

That high QB picks are over rated. Franchise QBs come in all shape and sizes.

Eh, how many non first round QBs have made the Super Bowl this decade?

Off the top of my head, 4:

Drew Brees (2nd round)
Tom Brady* (6th round)
Colin Kaepernick (2nd round)
Russell Wilson (3rd round)

Getting a franchise QB out of the first two rounds is pretty unlikely.

Hindl

I'd argue that he's not a top 10 QB, he's been riding a top 5 defense for awhile, his o-line has been shit for the last few years so his numbers are down. If you ask most people if you rather have Derek Carr or Wilson, I'm sure the majority would say Carr. Wilson simply can't make the throws Carr throws (Especially with a broken throwing pinky).

Actually who is the best draft pick in the last 5 years?

That's insane that you don't consider him top 10. Carr can't do the literal houdini shit Wilson would regularly pull in the 2015 season, and for almost all of 2016 he was hobbled by an injury that he should've honestly rested for. And he still put up great numbers. Seattle has an amazing defense, yes, but that offense doesn't work without Wilson. Baldwin's great, as is Jimmy Graham, but they had one of the worst OLs in the league and they haven't had Lynch since 2014 really, and Wilson had an amazing year in 2015

That high QB picks are over rated. Franchise QBs come in all shape and sizes.

21 QBs starting in the NFL were drafted in the 1st round that are at least QBs you can build around. Finding a QB in the later rounds is the exception, not the rule.

That's insane that you don't consider him top 10. Carr can't do the literal houdini shit Wilson would regularly pull in the 2015 season, and for almost all of 2016 he was hobbled by an injury that he should've honestly rested for. And he still put up great numbers. Seattle has an amazing defense, yes, but that offense doesn't work without Wilson. Baldwin's great, as is Jimmy Graham, but they had one of the worst OLs in the league and they haven't had Lynch since 2014 really, and Wilson had an amazing year in 2015

21 QBs starting in the NFL were drafted in the 1st round that are at least QBs you can build around. Finding a QB in the later rounds is the exception, not the rule.

Any QB that runs around for literally 10 seconds can make a play happen, you can't cover someone for that long simple as that.

Russell Wilson at the 1 yd line.....that's all I gotta say, he could've audible out of that and said "WTF, I'm giving it to Marshawn!".

Beach

The amount of disrespect Carr gets. The guy won 6 games when the opposing team scored more than 24 points last year. Russell Wilson has 4 of those games his entire career. Carr masks so much of his teams weaknesses it's outrageous. The amount of credit he gets taken away from him because he has four great lineman is crazy.

Wes

venison crêpe
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

Sounds like Titans are at it again. Already have received offers for fifth overall pick and are contemplating trade, per league source.

Hindl

Any QB that runs around for literally 10 seconds can make a play happen, you can't cover someone for that long simple as that.

Russell Wilson at the 1 yd line.....that's all I gotta say, he could've audible out of that and said "WTF, I'm giving it to Marshawn!".

Not every QB can scramble for 10 seconds and make a play, throwing on the move with accuracy is extremely difficult. If it were so easy, we would've seen all the hybrid QBs that came out a few years stick around in the league and become dominant. Are you going to discount Aaron Rodgers for doing the same thing?

And go back and look at that play. They were baiting them into throwing it by stacking 8 in the box. Should they have tried running with Marshawn? Probably, but logically that pass play should've worked. Butler just studied that route dozens of times and made an amazing play.

The amount of disrespect Carr gets. The guy won 6 games when the opposing team scored more than 24 points last year. Russell Wilson has 4 of those games his entire career. Carr masks so much of his teams weaknesses it's outrageous. The amount of credit he gets taken away from him because he has four great lineman is crazy.

I'm not disrespecting Carr, in an earlier post I literally said he would be a top 5 QB in a few years. But Wilson is getting the shit disrespected out of him. He had one down (?) season where his leg was nearly broken in half and his OL didn't exist and suddenly he's maybe not a Top 10 QB? Do people forget the shit he did in 2015? And his 2016 was still amazing. I'm not downplaying Carr, but I was responding to someone that said Wilson was carried by his defense and Carr had nothing. Carr is a great QB and that Raiders team maybe squeaks out 5 wins without him. But it's not like there's no one on that offense. Yeah it's not the Cowboys or anything, but Carr has great offensive personnel while Wilson has great defensive personnel. Aside from Doug Baldwin and the occasionally healthy Jimmy Graham, there isn't a whole lot of weapons on the Seahawks O, whereas the Raiders have surrounded Carr with weapons, which he's used extremely effectively. Again I'm not disrespecting Carr. His 2016 was mindblowing. But he's not a better QB than Wilson, not at this point. Don't disrespect Wilson like that

Wes

venison crêpe
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom