• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not great details but I also read elsewhere, but I did not pay particular attention as I dont stream or record so...

come on geordie how could you of all people give false hope 😣 nowhere in the link you shared mentions about frame rate for recording gameplay

Mr Moose

come on geordie how could you of all people give false hope 😣 nowhere in the link you shared mentions about frame rate for recording gameplay
The PS5 is also capable of recording 4K gameplay at up to 60 frames per second. But if you want to capture 4K footage, you can do it only in WebM, which Google-owned YouTube supports but Twitter does not.

reksveks

PS5 doesn't need quick resume it has it own feature like cards/activities jump on a levels or a portion of sections. which makes it almost unlimited in any activities. :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Its not the same use case, for certain games/play styles it might work better and in others it might be worse.

MastaKiiLA

It would be great is PS5 could capture at the kind of quality that Sony uses for their YT channel. Those has minimal artifacting (not counting the latest DS video), so would make for some really high-quality uploads throughout the gen. I'm not hoping for more than that, but that might be a stretch as well.

GreyHand23

It would be great is PS5 could capture at the kind of quality that Sony uses for their YT channel. Those has minimal artifacting (not counting the latest DS video), so would make for some really high-quality uploads throughout the gen. I'm not hoping for more than that, but that might be a stretch as well.

PS5 can capture at 4K with HDR it just doesn’t stream at 4K.

inflation

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

They would not shout for better BC frame rates as most titles run at a way lower rez. Apple to oranges comparison
Well maybe you should watch the DF video again and hear that while what you are saying goes for games that run on higher res on one x vs Pro and thus higher res op the series x vs PS5. Most games were not optimized for the one X and run just as wel or nicer on PS5 because the res was ever so slightly lower on the xbox one (900p vs 1080p). And at those resolutions (above 1440p) you can barely spot the diffrence. And because of this barely visible res diffrence there are some BC games on PS5 being solid @60 vs not so solid on series x.

+ (for me at least) Because PS4 had WAAAAY better rated and WAAAAAY more 1st party games than the xbox one had. It makes the BC on PS5 the better deal. If i wanted to play those few xbox games that were true systemsellers on xb one i would have bought myself one. But i was far to busy playing the likes of GOW, GTsport, P5, LOU and Bloodborne to get my hands dirty on games like crackdown 3.

With the BC mode on xb series x and PS5 being as good as it is there are no winners or losers starting this gen when looking at BC.

Well maybe you should watch the DF video again and hear that while what you are saying goes for games that run on higher res on one x vs Pro and thus higher res op the series x vs PS5. Most games were not optimized for the one X and run just as wel or nicer on PS5 because the res was ever so slightly lower on the xbox one (900p vs 1080p). And at those resolutions (above 1440p) you can barely spot the diffrence. And because of this barely visible res diffrence there are some BC games on PS5 being solid @60 vs not so solid on series x.

+ (for me at least) Because PS4 had WAAAAY better rated and WAAAAAY more 1st party games than the xbox one had. It makes the BC on PS5 the better deal. If i wanted to play those few xbox games that were true systemsellers on xb one i would have bought myself one. But i was far to busy playing the likes of GOW, GTsport, P5, LOU and Bloodborne to get my hands dirty on games like crackdown 3.

With the BC mode on xb series x and PS5 being as good as it is there are no winners or losers starting this gen when looking at BC.

Very good point. This is basically how I see the whole BC framerates thing.

The PS5 is powerful enough to run PS4 Pro games at a locked 60FPs while the XSX isn't powerful enough to run Xbox One X games at a constant locked 60 in some cases.

Take Sekiro for example. Both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X version run the game with a framerate upto 60FPs. The One X version is a Native 4K while the PS4 Pro version is a checkerboarded 4K. Obviously the PS4 Pro version will be easier to run. The result is a locked 60 on the PS5 and minor dips on the XSX. If the XSX was more powerful it would run Sekiro at a locked 60FPs. If the PS5 ran the One X version of Sekiro the framerate wouldn't be locked at 60FPs.

Edit: Small correction.

1800P on One X
1800P Checkerboarded on PS4 Pro
With Performance being better on PS4 Pro

Last edited:
They would not shout for better BC frame rates as most titles run at a way lower rez. Apple to oranges comparison

Yes and no.

Different resolutions: Yes.

But... we saw XSX peak performance in some games like Assetto Corsa and Sekiro. Hitman e Monster Hunter: World also shows many FPS drops on XSX.

We didn't saw PS5 peak performance. Almost all games were running on solid 60fps. The exception is Ac Unity, but sounds more like instability, because we saw the game running in 60fps too, but with many drops.

If we up Sekiro's resolution, from 1800p checkerboarding (1600 x 1800p) to native 1800p (3200 x 1800p), we could measure FPS and compare to XSX. But i suspect PS5 could run good as well (maybe some 60fps drops), because in DF testing, it was 60fps locked full time. Clearly the machine could deliver more power.

You dont know that, we have not seen any dips yet in ps5 performance against work it has been asked to do except a messed up Creed game where ps5 was likely in ps4 mode.

I am sure ubisoft will oblige though soon enough :messenger_beaming:

A native 4K would be harder on the system than a checkerboarded 4K. It's also why Sekiro performs better on the Pro than the One X.

Godfavor

Whatever, the resolution is not the same either way and that's the definite factor of the fps difference.

I agree with the ps4/ one though, and I would add that xbox has the 360 titles as well, so to each of his own

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Very good point. This is basically how I see the whole BC framerates thing.

The PS5 is powerful enough to run PS4 Pro games at a locked 60FPs while the XSX isn't powerful enough to run Xbox One X games at a constant locked 60 in some cases.

Take Sekiro for example. Both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X version run the game with a framerate upto 60FPs. The One X version is a Native 4K while the PS4 Pro version is a checkerboarded 4K. Obviously the PS4 Pro version will be easier to run. The result is a locked 60 on the PS5 and minor dips on the XSX. If the XSX was more powerful it would run Sekiro at a locked 60FPs. If the PS5 ran the One X version of Sekiro the framerate wouldn't be locked at 60FPs.
Sekiro is 1800p on the One X, 1800CB on Pro.
Edit: Beaten.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

giphy.gif

if it feels like a new game then there is a chance it might be good

Dibils2k

From my understanding most fans loved it, it was only dumb arse critics that did not approve so much, most of it probably due to being some white male crap and that i want to ride you like i ride my bike comment.
i played it for an hour or two, just seemed run of the mill open world. zombies just made it more tedious to me

i will try it on PS5 (why not, i will try all games that got a boost) but the games problems to me wasnt visuals or performance so cant see it changing

Xbox Series X has an NVMe M. 2 SSD, which should make it easier to repair the console

7 hidden functions of PS5 that we have discovered by playing with it

Like I said a million times. RT is expensive.

Ps: John agrees with him in the following tweet.

Is he damage controlling the fact that RT is sub-native on XSX? How ironic after his article on RT on PS5 games and his strongly implied narrative that it was not true RT because only sub-native?

But now it's OK to have sub-native RT? It's the normal (and applauded) way to do it?

duhmetree

It's going to be sub-native for years all around on ALL platforms--whether Alex wants to accept it or not.
yeah thats the weird part. BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef showed that a 3090 is barely chugging along. DLSS is needed. Dynamic 4K will be needed. Whatever the naming/branding ( Supersampling, DLSS, Dynamic, CB etc), native 4K is a bad use of finite resources.

Last edited:

inflation

Webm uses VP9 and MP4 uses H264 on the PS5 apparently.
Don't know that yet. But HEVC is really a must when dealing with 4K raw footages IMHO. Maybe they include it like XSX or maybe not.

WebM is just a container, so saying HEVC is better than WebM makes no sense. Hopefully using AV1 in a WebM container.
There are no AV1 hardware encoding from AMD, so I guess that's not an option. And I do mean VP9 in that case.

mitchman

Gold Member
Don't know that yet. But HEVC is really a must when dealing with 4K raw footages IMHO. Maybe they include it like XSX or maybe not.

There are no AV1 hardware encoding from AMD, so I guess that's not an option. And I do mean VP9 in that case.
Yeah, I remembered AV1 one but it appears it only does HWA on the decode side. Shame.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'd really like to see some comparisons on what the best 3D audio headset is on PS5. I also haven't seen anyone compare the platinum to the 3D pulse headset. It's realistic the platinum is actually better than the pulse 3D headset in audio and build quality. 3D audio isn't specific to a headset so I wouldn't be shocked if Platinum is the better option for a little more money.

I'd really like to get a good headset for PS5's audio or even just headphones. Hope some good audiophiles get on these reviews fast. Pulse 3D seems okay but I want to know if it's the best value wise at that price point.

I think the platinum sounds better overall. it has bigger drivers and fuller sound. The 3d tests all sound much more natural on the platinum. Bass does too. Position are much easier to pinpoint and overhead is more distinguished too. Pulse is lighter and good for the price though. It may end up being better on PS5 if they optimized it, but I don’t see it. All of this is dependent on your fit and comfort.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Brad at Giant bomb extracted a recording to analyse it, mentions it in this vid

(at around 17:10 mark)

AeneaGames

Yes, and all informations we had before today were pointing in that direction

we talk about a lightning fast SSD with DRAM, and a MUCH faster hardware overall. Even without patch the loading times should be WAY faster than what we saw so far, which is hardly faster then a PS4 with SSD.
Tbh, I did not see a satisfying explanation yet, why the loading times are as bad as they are. So far nothing really made sense.

Decompression on PS4 games is mostly done by the CPU. The PS5 CPU has a slightly lower clock speed than the XSX. That is when the game runs in PS5's boost mode, if it has to go back to PS4 Pro mode or worse base PS4 mode the clock speed will be lowered to match the PS4's or Pro's.

This is the best explanation for it I've heard so far.

I also think that quite a few games currently are being run in Pro mode even tho they might work in boost mode. Plus I believe that they did test all the games to see if they run in Pro mode but might not have tested them all yet in PS5's boost mode. Once they do the firmware will know it works in boost mode but only after updating he firmware, hence why it says to update it with many a PS4 game on the store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom