• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get it.
If the PS5 hardware has certain custom features that makes it different or even better than the competition, why in the world does Sony allows the "Xbox is full featured RDNA 2 and more powerful" to become common knowledge?
People can say that PS5 advantages were already mentioned in the Cerny's Road to PS5 conference.
Well, Digital Foundry and every other reviewer don't even mention about possible secret sauces or special features within the SoC.

It's weird but Sony has been fighting the FUD with games. If the FUD was true the PS5 would have been reviewed as a terrible console. But that isn't the case once people get their hands on it.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

I just don't get it.
If the PS5 hardware has certain custom features that makes it different or even better than the competition, why in the world does Sony allows the "Xbox is full featured RDNA 2 and more powerful" to become common knowledge?
People can say that PS5 advantages were already mentioned in the Cerny's Road to PS5 conference.
Well, Digital Foundry and every other reviewer don't even mention about possible secret sauces or special features within the SoC.
Because it's not worth it for them to get involved in any of that. Sony's marketing approach these days is very Apple-like; they see themselves as being above all this and they don't even acknowledge the competition or get involved in console wars banter anymore.

Instead they let the product speak for itself. All the FUD on the internet only adds up to a very very small percentage of the potential audience that Sony is going for. Those 110m+ PS4 owners aren't following all this noise; they will just look at the games on PS5 and be convinced that it's a worthwhile purchase.

Imtjnotu

I just don't get it.
Games talk

Bullshit walks

HAL-01

I just don't get it.
The vast majority of consumers do not know what RDNA is or floppies this or SFS that. MS leans into those because they know their customers are more PC-minded and like to boast about specs.

As someone already drew the comparison, Sony is more apple-like in its engineering in which they don’t build their specs to sound impressive, but focus on effective performance and user experience, which is what matters to the end consumer.

Ouch for that no upgrade recommendation from ArsTechnica to PS5 for existing PS4/PS4 Pro users.

1pSK6XR.jpg

Don't read too much into it.

Because it's not worth it for them to get involved in any of that. Sony's marketing approach these days is very Apple-like; they see themselves as being above all this and they don't even acknowledge the competition or get involved in console wars banter anymore.

Instead they let the product speak for itself. All the FUD on the internet only adds up to a very very small percentage of the potential audience that Sony is going for. Those 110m+ PS4 owners aren't following all this noise; they will just look at the games on PS5 and be convinced that it's a worthwhile purchase.
yep. Acknowledging and fighting the FUD only give the competition more exposure. It’s the last thing the marketing team wants. Sony is doing a classical job as the market leader.

kyliethicc

So the Xbox Series X/S does not have any sort of custom SSD. Its literally an off the shelf PC part, a Gen3 M.2 drive from WD.

Which means... because its a M.2 2230 form factor... we can actually put the Xbox SSD inside the PS5 expansion bay.

Of course it won't work because its 1) way too slow and 2) the expansion bay doesn't work yet lol

AeneaGames

After all those we believe in generations Marketing crap from Sony and then releasing Spider-Man MM and Horizon Forbidden West on PS4.
Now we have another turn of events, after praising the SSD as the second coming of Jesus and saying that it’s FAR AHEAD (!) of HIGH-END PCs! LOL
fuck even Linus had to make a apoligize video:

for not praising the PS5 SSD, although he was write from the fucking beginning!
Seriously, Sony should get much more flack for pulling this crap.

Oh boy, if MS would do anything like this, they would be dead already.
Just remember when MS openly and very transparently announced that they are doing cross-gen games, how EVERYONE - even MS fanboys - trashed them.
now imagine if they pretended all the time that they believe in generations and then come out saying they will release cross-gen games. This would be a bloodbath
TECHRADAR (on XBSX): Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill.

This is not gonna age well 🤣

zeK7IM5.jpg

THEAP99

Banned
I just don't get it.
cus the average consumer will look at spider-man, not buzzwords

vkbest

Don't know that yet. But HEVC is really a must when dealing with 4K raw footages IMHO. Maybe they include it like XSX or maybe not.

There are no AV1 hardware encoding from AMD, so I guess that's not an option. And I do mean VP9 in that case.

PS5 use hevc, lol, this is confirmed from 1 week ago, when remote play ask you install hevc in Windows
for getting HDR from PS5

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
The vast majority of consumers do not know what RDNA is or floppies this or SFS that. MS leans into those because they know their customers are more PC-minded and like to boast about specs.

As someone already drew the comparison, Sony is more apple-like in its engineering in which they don’t build their specs to sound impressive, but focus on effective performance and user experience, which is what matters to the end consumer.
THIS!

vkbest

Games have better performance on PS5, I'm not sure why people are saying it's due to lower resolutions when the latest and some of the better looking games on PS4 like GoT and Days Gone run with locked 60 FPS at 4K with ease. The CPU and GPU boost is massive and it is delivering the expected result (as I always said here it would)... so much for the FUD being spread with things like "only legacy modes are being used" and "PS5 uses half the CU's with BC" being said, nice bullshit.

At the end of the day both consoles have good BC with MS putting a bit more effort into it. Everyone should be happy, I sure am and hopefully I get a console on the 19th.

Unpatched games very probably are using legacy modes. Probably the same number of CU and frequency for CPU and GPU, if BC is working so good is because CPU and GPU efficiency

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
is it getting a free next gen patch? modern warfare and warzone?
I know the new Cold War game is getting next gen support but nothing has been confirmed yet for Warzone and Modern Warefare, although I definitely think it will happen within the next few months, we should get a 4K and 120 FPS performance mode, Warzone has 75 million players so they'd be fools not to add next gen support.

Last edited by a moderator:

b72d36d045b5ff34e339afc85484c14cfa06bec1.jpeg

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I know the new Cold War game is getting next gen support but nothing has been confirmed yet for Warzone and Modern Warefare, although I definitely think it will happen within the next few months, we should get a 4K and 120 FPS performance mode, Warzone has 75 million players so they'd be fools not to add next gen support.
that's a shame because modern warfare when it comes to technical things, looks way and feels way better than cold war. would be a good showcase

thelastword

Banned
Is this true?

Interesting, lord have mercy when next gen games loading times comparisons are shown or if Sony does more work to open BC to more of the PS5's IO benefits....
PCIe 3.0 2x is only 2Gb/s transfer rate .... less than the 2.4Gb/s raw that was announced 🤔🤔🤔
That onboard SSD is going to be blazing on next gen games. Most of the IO benefits with 12 gates are not even at optimum yet....The future looks bright. It's no wonder Sony stipulates a faster SSD drive slotted into the expansion slot to match the onboard SSD which also happens to be extremely close to the CPU. GPU, Geometry Engine and Ram pool....They are all coordinated much more than we have seen in any console before..
Games have better performance on PS5, I'm not sure why people are saying it's due to lower resolutions when the latest and some of the better looking games on PS4 like GoT and Days Gone run with locked 60 FPS at 4K with ease. The CPU and GPU boost is massive and it is delivering the expected result (as I always said here it would)... so much for the FUD being spread with things like "only legacy modes are being used" and "PS5 uses half the CU's with BC" being said, nice bullshit.

At the end of the day both consoles have good BC with MS putting a bit more effort into it. Everyone should be happy, I sure am and hopefully I get a console on the 19th.
And to think this is not even the max power of PS5 being utilized, as can be seen by some disparity in the IO benefits, not utilizing raytracing. So a BC game can utilize any of three profiles, we can't know for sure. Knowing Ubisoft we can still be utilizing the PS4 level of PS5 support in BC, which would allocate 18 CU's at 800Mhz and CPU at 8 cores 1600Mhz no SMT. That in a GCN profile may be more than enough to run AC unity at 900p 60fps most of the time as it does now except the cutscenes, but it just shows how much ahead PS5's RDNA 2 and Zen architecture is over PS4 and it's testament to the upgrades we are seeing in the countless BC videos....

It's clear that none of the BC games are maxing PS5 power and features2, even the high rez games are maxing frames to 60fps. Maybe in time Sony can improve it even more....
Because those games are in fact running at a lower resolution.

They all run great in general on both systems either way... and sounds like boost mode works generally well on PS5... but there are differences in games across PS5 and XSX because there were differences on PS4 Pro and XOX.. and thus we see some of these differences come through in BC.
The majority of games last gen were higher rez on PS4 and also more performant. This means the large majority of BC titles will have a higher rez whilst performing at 60fps on PS5....That's the reality....It's also important to note that the majority of PRO games run better over XBONEX since XBONEX chased higher resolutions over PRO where it could not sustain a performance lead over PRO in these scenarios....This means that for XBONEX games being rendered through BC, Series X has to push these games with higher resolutions and lower frames over PRO, however if Series X still can't push these games at locked 60fps, it just sustains the argument that XBONEX pushed rez too far in many cases, which it did.....The caveat is that, Series X has more power allocated to BC than PS5, since they are using the hypervisor, but in the end PS BC is more impressive based on the vast majority of 1080p games over 900p and a higher pool of quality genre defining titles which also had the best graphics last gen...(GOW, GTS, Tsushima, Days Gone, UC4, LOU2 etc)......and they are all running 60fps if there is no capped framerates...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

thelastword

Banned
Looks like this is the disk version without patches, so people who has digital version will play to 30fps
I'm sure they will patch TLG.......Interesting that AC unity may only be running Ryzen 2, 8 cores 1600mhz and 18 CU RDNA 2. Even at those clocks that's much more power than PS4 had, as it's running in GCN mode using the advanced architectural improvements. So it's still amazing that AC unity is running at 900p 60fps 99% of the time minus cutscenes and it's not using PS5 BC mode 3...What's also interesting is that the disc version of AC had higher quality effects, DOF etc....Maybe the reason for the drops in cutscenes...., but of course Ubi did lots of things for parite back in the day, so who knows how these games were coded....

gt_connect

Neo Member
Here it is, it is from a livestream content creator on twitch

Today he is doing the teardown of series S and maybe he will try to put this 1TB ssd from X on Series S

He is live now:

ssd nvme sn530

EmVg0ZQW4AMN7Dk

vkbest

I'm sure they will patch TLG.......Interesting that AC unity may only be running Ryzen 2, 8 cores 1600mhz and 18 CU RDNA 2. Even at those clocks that's much more power than PS4 had, as it's running in GCN mode using the advanced architectural improvements. So it's still amazing that AC unity is running at 900p 60fps 99% of the time minus cutscenes and it's not using PS5 BC mode 3...What's also interesting is that the disc version of AC had higher quality effects, DOF etc....Maybe the reason for the drops in cutscenes...., but of course Ubi did lots of things for parite back in the day, so who knows how these games were coded....

AC Unity Disk version was running to 20FPS on PS4

Garani

Still don't understand why that matters or why that is a problem.
For 2 reasons:
1) by staying true to the current PC lower denominator, there is no real advancement. They are mimicking a PC and that's it.
2) MS has advertised the disk as a Gen4 custom. In the end is a Gen3 Off-the-shelf. The good news is that if you need to change it, as long ad you get the form factor right, you can buy a spare.

HAL-01

So there it is, no RT on Demon's Souls. They removed the RT mention from the blog, it seems someone screwed it up when writing this entry. But as we have seen, the game doesn't really need it to look impressive.
k8hjBcY.png
Interesting. I guess that Gavin Moore guy was still under the impression that they were using some form of ray tracing when he gave the first interview, and someone from bluepoint corrected him right after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom