• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen is a failure if a single title launches at 30fps

nkarafo

I'd be fine if they were 30 fps. Anyone who preaches otherwise is a fool.

Let's be honest, 60 or more fps is just a stupid, smarmy, whitty, thing to preach about online to strangers so you sound sophisticated. Its like a high school kid giving some pedestrian interpretation of catcher in the rye to some middle schoolers so he sound savvy.

40 something fps is the optimal fps a human eye can full process. Anything beyond that begins to drastically become less noticeable. 35 to 45 is the optimal range. 99.5% of all movies are shot at 35fps and it's just fine for everyone because that is the speed at which the majority of people can see.

Any simple research into the biology of the human eye will tell you that. But reality gets trumped by what's cool to say.

So no we don't need more fps, what we really need is reliable fps, not more.
Come on man. Stop this shit. You complain about others preaching about 60fps and here you are, spreading this "human eye can't see more than x amount" bullshit.

You can see beyond 60fps even. Unless you have some eye/brain condition i dont know about. I can tell the difference between 120 and 240 hz if the speed is high enough. Virtual pinball requires at least 120 fps for me. Lower than that isn't enough visual information for the fast moving ball.

Im not Superman. I have human eyes.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I don't know why people are disagreeing. We have been stuck at 30fps for most titles for AGES on console and it should not be the norm for next gen.

Switching from 120fps on my PC to 30fps to play on my PS4 is jarring as hell. I cannot wait until consoles have 60fps as a standard as it will be so much better.

Last edited:
Well, it's up to devs what they will do with available power in next-gen consoles. More fps is always better of course, but it's up to them. And also, i don't have any problem to play games at 30 fps.

ruvikx

Banned
I'm currently playing Rage 2 one the One X, i.e. that 60 fps is really nice. But the sad truth is my eyes will adapt back to 30 fps again after a couple of hours when I put my next game on. At first it's jarring jumping back into a 30 fps title, but after a while? I adapt more easily than I probably should.

Although first person games absolutely should target 60 fps on console as a norm. 60 fps is simply way, way better for the eyes in a first person experience.

Techies

I'm currently playing Rage 2 one the One X, i.e. that 60 fps is really nice. But the sad truth is my eyes will adapt back to 30 fps again after a couple of hours when I put my next game on. At first it's jarring jumping back into a 30 fps title, but after a while? I adapt more easily than I probably should.

Although first person games absolutely should target 60 fps on console as a norm. 60 fps is simply way, way better for the eyes in a first person experience.

The important word here is adapt, if your just casually playing a singleplayer game and there's a lot of stuff going on onscreen, you do actually get use to it.
If you overwhelm your senses, you can get away with 30fps.
I literally sold my Xbox One due to the 30fps, jumping between pc and xbox one constantly with the low framerate felt terrible.

Online multiplayer is a different mindset, in that low fps can just cause outright frustration, the lower the fps the higher the input lag.

Arun1910

I agree that your eyes probably can adapt to a certain degree back to 30fps as mine do (although I still hate it and can tell its 30fps easily), but just because you can get used to 30fps doesn't mean next gen SHOULD be 30fps and should have that as a minimum. That's like saying Next gen should have 1080p only because your eyes can adjust to a lower resolution.

If we have this mindset for consoles we will never progress or push them, and imo, we need to stop focusing on resolution and start looking at frames.

If a game comes out under 60 fps it doesn't mean the developers are lazy lmao. It's more likely that publishers and companies push the game before it's finished or they targeted 30fps early in development.

Mohonky

We get this every gen. We also get 'if a game is below this res' posts about not being next gen etc.

Its whatever the developers prioritise.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Come on man. Stop this shit. You complain about others preaching about 60fps and here you are, spreading this "human eye can't see more than x amount" bullshit.

You can see beyond 60fps even. Unless you have some eye/brain condition i dont know about. I can tell the difference between 120 and 240 hz if the speed is high enough. Virtual pinball requires at least 120 fps for me. Lower than that isn't enough visual information for the fast moving ball.

It's not even about seeing 60fps, it's about feeling it. The game responds to your actions twice as quickly. It's immediately noticeable by everybody, even if they can't put their finger on it (for example, last gen, some believed that CoD got so popular because it felt so much more responsive and fluid than the other big FPS titles, which were all 30fps). It's just objective reality.

It's really weird to see 30fps eye truthers in 2020.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Lol true. Even 144hz looked trashy after using 240hz for Fe w months. In the end I personally get used to anything that's stable of vrr. 58fps vrr 4k is great for me since ai prefer iq in the end

Dontero

Banned
It won't be even 30fps locked. It will be between 25-30fps.
But i agree, no way i will buy any new gen system if they don't have at minimum 60fps requirement.

Playing on PC for years now, had PS2-3 as my side console bought PS4 and i just couldn't handle how poor 30fps is on PS4. Sold it after i finished few games.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Like always, devs will squeeze out every bit of graphics fidelity and won't care about framerates unless it drops below 20 fps. Graphics sell games, not framerates. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

DonF

Op, thats not hot how any of this works

if they create a stronger processor and gpu, its going to run more taxing games, its not like a boost to all things.

Banned
Branthrax: "Next-gen is a failure if a single title launches at 30fps"

Insomniac: "We're about to ruin this guys whole generation"

Last edited:

NAI1210

Lol pack it up then.

price doesnt mean shit when it comes to preference, the ps3 was $600 and it still had a huge library of 30fps titles, and other like oblivion barely went passed 24fps
And dark souls on ps3 holy shit that frame rate I put in over 100 hours on ps3 went back to it recently and went straight to the painted world I was shocked at the slow down, it was unplayable after playing it on pc at 60 and on switch at a pretty stable 30 😳

Arun1910

Branthrax: "Next-gen is a failure if a single title launches at 30fps"

Insomniac: "We're about to ruin this guys whole generation"

Insomniac are on crack. I can't even imagine a 60fps Spider-Man. It would be glorious.

Edit: Nevermind that article is from 2009.

Why are you quoting 2009?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Even Miyamoto admitted that graphics sell. :p
iu

MrMiyagi

Banned
Nah man. We need a boost in visual fidelity, physics, scope and a sweet ray tracing cherry on top. If all next gen games would be 4k and 60fps, we would basically be playing the same games we're playing now. 4k And/or 60fps is what the mid-gen consoles and pc are for. I think it's great but not so many people care about it else the X1X and Ps4 pro would have sold a lot better.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no way these weak ass CPUs will manage 60fps as standard across all titles.

are people really expecting 4K 60fps? lol.

if any game goes above 30fps it'll probably run at 1080-1800p.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Developers don't work that way. There isn't some magic bar you can raise hardware performance to where they'll suddenly change their mind and decide that a rock-solid 60FPS is more important than any other thing they can spend horsepower on.

Everybody pushing for 4k killed the 60FPS dream.

Discusguy

4k@60fps standard would be a thing if beauty. I have little faith. I’ll just let all you 4k@30pfs warriors beta test next gen and I’ll see you guys in 5yrs. X1 and Pro will probably end up being my last launch day consoles.

Banned
Insomniac are on crack. I can't even imagine a 60fps Spider-Man. It would be glorious.

Edit: Nevermind that article is from 2009.

Why are you quoting 2009?

because they still go by it. Ratchet & Clank remake was 30fps when the original was 60fps for example.

LordKasual

Banned
Beginning November, every single game launched on PS5 and Xbox needs to hit a bare minimum of 60fps for it to be a true generational leap. With the amount of money these consoles will cost with all the flops, anything less than 60fps is unacceptable. Anything less than 60fps will be the result of lazy devs trying to push their game out as fast as possible and Microsoft, as well as Sony should mandate a 60fps minimum when launching a title on their platform.

What is this nonsense? 30 FPS is perfectly playable, and has been since the dawn of 3D gaming. i don't recall SM64, Ocarina of Time or FF7 being "lazy" or unresponsive titles due to their sub-30 framerates.

And most importantly, those titles wouldn't have existed if they weren't able to sacrifice framerate in order to actually allow their design to function. And there will always be projects that sacrifice half the framerate to get more visuals/processing power out of the hardware.

You're out of your mind, i almost exclusively play fighting/action games (thus not only can immediately tell) and even I can appreciate 30FPS targets. There are so many games that wouldn't have existed without it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom