• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen is a failure if a single title launches at 30fps

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

Pimpbaa

Well maybe more of a personal failure for you. I for one won't mind some games that maximize use of the hardware at a 30fps target (depending on the genre).

TLZ

Banned
They should give us options like the Pro did. A stable 60fps option with Max res possible, a stable 30fps option with Max res possible, and an extra unlocked framerate and res option if possible. The first two should be very doable. Everybody's happy.

I am fine with 30 fps. I understand if people prefer higher, though.

This is why I don't bother w PC anymore. Prettier versions of the same constrained levels, the same small groups of dumb-as-a-rock enemies, the same chokepoints to compensate for slow loading/disc speeds. The market of games designed for PC power is tiny.

AAA development needs cash, and very few companies can design their games around PC hardware without getting that cash from consoles.
My dumb idiotic friend is deeply regretting buying that PC Desktop.

He solely blames DESTROYA DESTROYA for everything that's happened.

Bigfroth

It's pretty much a for gone conclusion that there will be plenty of games that hit sub 20fps, flickering,tearing and the always fun falling through the world all in glorious 4k can't wait.

MayauMiao

Beginning November, every single game launched on PS5 and Xbox needs to hit a bare minimum of 60fps for it to be a true generational leap. With the amount of money these consoles will cost with all the flops, anything less than 60fps is unacceptable. Anything less than 60fps will be the result of lazy devs trying to push their game out as fast as possible and Microsoft, as well as Sony should mandate a 60fps minimum when launching a title on their platform.

No problem. Every developer will have the game run in 480p for a guarantee 60fps.

Discusguy

I’m expecting 60fps for next gen. What’s the point of upgrading my One X or Pro without that minimum requirement? Prettier pixels aren’t as needed as 60fps.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
(a visual novel game releases on the PS5 at 30FPS)
Everyone else: This is fine, I mean who cares about the frame rate for a vis-
Branthrax: FUCK THIS SHIT, I'M OUT!
What kind of a fucking VN would run that high? Anime?

dangopee

Neo Member
If a cinematic type game can look twice as good at half the frame rate then why not? There will always be 30 fps games. Frame rate vs visuals will always be a trade-off until literally graphics are so good that they are indiscernible from reality so that there's no room for visual improvement. 30 fps is the minimum required (well more like 24 fps actually) for a series of frames to look like motion and not like a slideshow. Unless our eyes evolve such to a point where 30 fps starts look like a slideshow, there will continue to be 30 fps games and movies. Get over it.

Techies

I'd be fine if they were 30 fps. Anyone who preaches otherwise is a fool.

Let's be honest, 60 or more fps is just a stupid, smarmy, whitty, thing to preach about online to strangers so you sound sophisticated. Its like a high school kid giving some pedestrian interpretation of catcher in the rye to some middle schoolers so he sound savvy.

40 something fps is the optimal fps a human eye can full process. Anything beyond that begins to drastically become less noticeable. 35 to 45 is the optimal range. 99.5% of all movies are shot at 35fps and it's just fine for everyone because that is the speed at which the majority of people can see.

Any simple research into the biology of the human eye will tell you that. But reality gets trumped by what's cool to say.

So no we don't need more fps, what we really need is reliable fps, not more.

People who have no idea what they are talking about...

Tqaulity

:messenger_unamused: I'm sorry but this thread is the silliest most ill informed thread I've seen in a while! Why people still keep saying things like this I simply cannot understand. For the last time: the game's framerate is NOT a hardware limitation! It is a developer choice! Every single game on the PS4 could be designed to run at 60fps if every developer saw fit (or Sony mandated it). Hell, every PS1 game could have run at 60fps if that was the focus for all. But it's not and the console manufacturers don't mandate it because they rather leave the flexibility for devs to do what they feel is best for their game because:
  1. Not all game will benefit equally from 60fps
  2. For some games, getting to 60fps could be prohibitively difficult (and expensive)
  3. Research has consistently shown for decades now that for the average mass market consumer, the graphics quality has a larger impact than hitting 60fps (from 30fps)
Thus, we will never see all games running at 60fps (or any single framerate). Once again THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL HARDWARE LIMITATION. New generation consoles, new GPUs etc will not mean that we will suddenly see 60fps across the board because the developer priorities don't change.

What is really inferred in these statements is that given the more advanced hardware, then we should see all current gen games running at a higher framerate. Yes if the next generation was all about running the same exact games designed for PS4 and XB1 then maybe you could use the extra headroom to increase the framerate (i.e. the current PC model). But the next generation of games will be far more advanced than current gen games and thus, the performance vs quality ratio will ultimately be the same as it is now. Just accept it and please stop asking these silly questions. If all you want to do is accelerate the performance of games designed for lower spec....then that's what the PC is for :messenger_winking:

S0ULZB0URNE

Devs work 18-19 hour days 7 days a week and "sleep" under their desk just to finish a game. Fuck right off with calling any game developer "lazy".
30fps is lazy with XSX for example.
Give us different fps/resolution options. But 30fps is unacceptable.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
No problem. Every developer will have the game run in 480p for a guarantee 60fps.
Did you not see the Series X specs? I'm aware you've sadly only been limited to console gaming all of your life but that hardware can easily run every single game on the market at 1080/60fps.

Even mentioning 480p shows how absolutely laughably uneducated you are on the subject.

Kumomeme

60fps not neccessary measure here

some devs might priotize visual over fps..thats how it always be..no way around

you want next gen visual? here 30fps
want 60 fps? sure but visualy its not easy to held candle to 30fps game

ofcourse, depend on developers..some wizard might make miracle though, and depend on genre ..such as open world game performance vs linear as example

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Next generation will be just like this generation, most games will be 30fps, but multiplayer at least will be 60fps for most big games.

If you really demand 60fps in every game, instead of hoping devs do it for you, play games on PC. It’s the only way.

Last edited:

sowasred2012

Neo Member
Personally, I don't lose any sleep over how many frames per second a game runs at. It has to be playable, but beyond that I don't see that it's as big a deal as it is sometimes made out to be.

I wish that 60fps would become the new minimum standard but I don’t see that happening. I’m sure 30fps will be found in quite a lot, probably even the majority, of next-gen titles

Overcooked has some stuttering issues on the PS4, so who knows what barely optimized unity games will do to next gen consoles.

There was a 720p game released on the PS4 a couple of years ago... It might have been the ugliest PS4 game too (I can't recall the name).

So you never know, there could be some 14fps PS2 like game released in 2027 exclusively on the series X model X.

Not every game needs to be 60fps just saying
But why not though... Any game that had the option to play at 60fps, only makes sense to play at 60. Reduced input lag, it's no where as nausea inducing, and gives players better reaction time and smoother visuals and animations. I can understand movies that are shot in higher framerate like the Hobbit being a bit strange... But not with video games.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Imagine. It's 2020. Most powerful consoles ever are released. The technology is crazy. Gaming has never been bigger. Developers are producing mind-blowing products. Stories are being told that blur the line between entertainment and art. What a time to be alive...

...game runs at 30 fps.

What the fucking fuck.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No? I want graphical progress, atmosphere, gameplay and so on. There are people who like 4k clean image and graphics you know.

I've got a nice 4k ips instead of 240hz TN monitor because I like nice graphics. Many games play great at 30fps like uncharted or souls games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But why not though... Any game that had the option to play at 60fps, only makes sense to play at 60. Reduced input lag, it's no where as nausea inducing, and gives players better reaction time and smoother visuals and animations. I can understand movies that are shot in higher framerate like the Hobbit being a bit strange... But not with video games.
Let me ask you, would you rather have 60FPS that might go down to 50 - 40FPS or locked 30FPS? 60FPS is always better but depending what type of game devs want to make its not possible to get full 60FPS. For example games with physic heavy game, it might get lots of dips in FPS depending how chaotic the fights become, its better have lock 30FPS instead have 60FPS might get FPS dips during the fight.

Imagine. It's 2020. Most powerful consoles ever are released. The technology is crazy. Gaming has never been bigger. Developers are producing mind-blowing products. Stories are being told that blur the line between entertainment and art. What a time to be alive...

...game runs at 30 fps.

What the fucking fuck.
Here is the thing Devs might use that "crazy tech" to make crazy details and even bigger open world while keep the FPS at 30 to achieve that. I feel like some you guys have little understanding of game development and living a dream land and this just not about tech, you guys also need think about budget and time, no developers is gonna do what Star Citizen doing and take their sweet time to make most high tech game.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

So this gen with tomb raider games on Xbox they had 2 options, the full 4k or 60fps I didn’t mind either tbh.

Also forz horizon ran at 4k 30fps and ran smooth as anything.

Last edited:
You will continue seeing most games running at 30 frames per second because the majority of consumers are okay with it and because it allows for some extra polish to the game's graphics versus if it were to run at double the framerate or higher.

Not to mention that for a lot of games, the graphics are what sells. What's the first thing people notice when a first-party studio from Sony or Microsoft show off their newest games in a gameplay demo? The graphics. Same with EA, Ubisoft and just about any AAA game development studio. It's not going to change.

Last edited:
I mean 30fps next generation isn’t exactly a deal breaker for me, but I do understand what the OP is getting at. We already experienced 4k games this generation and even a few 4k 60fps games depending on your platform.

Seeing 4k again with 30fps or less could be a disappointment considering the much HYPED “ultra-power” specifications and rumored prices.

psorcerer

Banned
Let me ask you, would you rather have 60FPS that might go down to 50 - 40FPS or locked 30FPS? 60FPS is always better but depending what type of game devs want to make its not possible to get full 60FPS. For example games with physic heavy game, it might get lots of dips in FPS depending how chaotic the fights become, its better have lock 30FPS instead have 60FPS might get FPS dips during the fight.

Input loop and physics can run at locked 60hz all of the time. And they should.
No matter how many fps is displayed 30 or 240.

Silvawuff

FPS doesn't mean squat if we don't have good games to back it up. A shit game running at 60 FPS is still a shit game. I'll take some good games over spec flex.

Fbh

Nah.
Just like this gen it will depend on the game. Doom 2016 is a better game for sticking to 60fps on consoles as opposed to 30. But IMO games like Horizon or Uncharted or the Witcher3 would have been less memorable if they had sacrificed their awesome visuals for the sake of 60fps

Last edited:
I'd be fine if they were 30 fps. Anyone who preaches otherwise is a fool.

Let's be honest, 60 or more fps is just a stupid, smarmy, whitty, thing to preach about online to strangers so you sound sophisticated. Its like a high school kid giving some pedestrian interpretation of catcher in the rye to some middle schoolers so he sound savvy.

40 something fps is the optimal fps a human eye can full process. Anything beyond that begins to drastically become less noticeable. 35 to 45 is the optimal range. 99.5% of all movies are shot at 35fps and it's just fine for everyone because that is the speed at which the majority of people can see.

Any simple research into the biology of the human eye will tell you that. But reality gets trumped by what's cool to say.

So no we don't need more fps, what we really need is reliable fps, not more.

I seriously can't tell whether you're joking or not....

sendit

Developers better give the option for a rock-solid 60fps experience or it’ll be a no buy for me next-gen.

Developers do give you an option. On the PC that is. :messenger_hushed:

Console Gamer: "I want 8K, solid 60FPS, 12 TF, and Ray Tracing. All for $399, anything more will be a no buy for me next-gen"

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't give devs an out guys. Demand better.

Devs complain about hardware power limiting what they can do. Don't give them this excuse every generation.

Every car refresh (about every 5 years) leads to better looking cars, better performing cars, more HP, more bells and whistles. Even a starter car like a Honda Civic is about 160 HP now. Who knew a Civic would be about 160. Googling it, my old Civic from the early 2000s had about 120. So even something like a Civic gets a boost in performance. What Honda could have done is say fuck you, it's 120 HP forever. We'll put the extra money from higher prices into better seats or sound system, but nope. Performance gets a boost too.

If PC games can run games with unlocked frames and sliders giving choice, demand console devs give more performance options like some games have a resolution or performance mode.

Problem is too many console gamers some reason enjoy 30 fps games. Imagine what the PC gaming community would do if their games were capped at 30 fps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Here is the thing Devs might use that "crazy tech" to make crazy details and even bigger open world while keep the FPS at 30 to achieve that. I feel like some you guys have little understanding of game development and living a dream land and this just not about tech, you guys also need think about budget and time, no developers is gonna do what Star Citizen doing and take their sweet time to make most high tech game.
Would be nice to have option. My 4k monitor has 40-60 freesync so if I lock framerate to 58 fps then I always stay in freesync range and have perfect framepacing, no tearing and lower input lag. So if the game can't keep above 40, then I would lock to 30 or lower some detail.
I am worried that all the freesync games on consoles will not include hz-2 fps lock so the game will end up with slow vsync when it reaches screen refresh rate

Top Bottom