• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Console "Project Scarlett" Coming Next Year and it "Eats Monsters for Breakfast"

What does it matter which one is more powerful?

Yes it does. Cause when all those head to heads start coming out, everyone in here pretends that it doesn't matter but the threads still go 20 pages long. People care about having power just like they care about power in their cars, PCs or cellphones.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You bought the next-generation release? You're getting high settings and a locked 4K60 experience that feels tangibly better.
Absolutely not possible. Even 2080Ti can't offer 4K 60 experience on high setting on PC in most demanding games and if $1200 GPU on PC can't do that, ~$500 APU box with Navi sure as hell can't, not even close.

kyoji

Honestly at this point for ms sake i hope there console is more powerful. Sony would be beyond fine with up to date specs (not best) . MS on the other hand.... they need every bit of positive pr they can nab, much less there fragile hardcore audience who are clinging to win any debate. On a side note what happened to that one guy who swore up and down we would here some hardware numbers sold thru world wide from the source at E3? 🤔 i'm still waiting to here these vaporware numbers that were suppose to be disclosed and discredit the 40-45mil mil mark 🤔

DanielsM

Banned
Yes it does. Cause when all those head to heads start coming out, everyone in here pretends that it doesn't matter but the threads still go 20 pages long. People care about having power just like they care about power in their cars, PCs or cellphones.

In the big scheme of things power doesn't really matter, which is why the nintendo systems still sell from time to time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Scarlet is pivotal to MS, because let's face it, if they fail with this they'll lose to SONY AGAIN and potentially exit the console market FOREVER.

J4K

Absolutely not possible. Even 2080Ti can't offer 4K 60 experience on high setting on PC in most demanding games and if $1200 GPU on PC can't do that, ~$500 APU box with Navi sure as hell can't, not even close.

You ever feel like you wrote 2 thousand words and then some dude focuses on literally one word?

By "high" I just meant higher than what you'd get on Scorpio. There is no pre-defined meaning to what "high" actually is, no spec or universally agreed upon benchmark.

You're being pedantic about something that has no definition... I would have thought the context would be clear, but hopefully now you understand what I'm saying.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
J J4K all I'm saying is that 4K 60 for sure won't be possible on Scarlett not matter the settings and in most demanding games which is like almost all AAA games out there. $500 APU box can't offer such insane performance if top of the line PCs of today can't (mostly cuz $1200 GPU is not fast enough).

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
J J4K all I'm saying is that 4K 60 for sure won't be possible on Scarlett not matter the settings and in most demanding games which is like almost all AAA games out there. $500 APU box can't offer such insane performance if top of the line PCs of today can't (mostly cuz $1200 GPU is not fast enough).
Im 99% sure that the next Halo and Forza will be running 4K 60fps with next gen graphics.

J4K

J J4K all I'm saying is that 4K 60 for sure won't be possible on Scarlet not matter the settings and in most demanding games which is like almost all AAA games out there.

4k60 has already been done on several AAA Xbox One X games... any reason you're trying to tell me a new system will be unable to do what a current system already does? Furthermore, the limiting factor stopping more games from achieving higher frame rates has often been the CPU on current gen systems, not always the GPU.

With these next systems we will have greatly improved GPU performance and a true generational leap in CPU performance. My theory -- which I outlined in my previous lengthy post -- is that it's very likely we'll have much more 60 FPS games because users will begin to expect it.

You are wrong that the hardware can't accommodate it. It's just a matter of where user taste and preference goes next. If users allow developers to get away with releasing 30 FPS games, then sure we may see that continue. But it won't be the hardware that's the problem.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
4k60 has already been done on several AAA Xbox One X games..
Like...?

My theory -- which I outlined in my previous lengthy post -- is that it's very likely we'll have much more 60 FPS games because users will begin to expect it.
Pure speculation.

You are wrong that the hardware can't accommodate it.
There's absolutely nothing available for us to see and based on that there's no reason to think otherwise right now.

Im 99% sure that the next Halo and Forza will be running 4K 60fps with next gen graphics.
Not sure about Halo, but Forza Horizon 4 is running like a charm in 4K on PC and extremely well optimised for even potato PCs so yeah, if not 4K 60 , QHD 60 for sure. It's integrated Navi GPU we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Honestly, all these talk about specs and how powerful these next gen consoles are dont get me excited unless I can see how they translate in terms of the actual game itself. Next e3 I guess?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Like...?

Not sure about Halo, but Forza Horizon 4 is running like a charm in 4K on PC and extremely well optimised for even potato PCs so yeah, if not 4K 60 , QHD 60 for sure. It's integrated Navi GPU we're talking about here.
Next Forza will be a Motorsport title wich in current gen already is 4K60fps, and Halo is dynamic 4K60fps so its safe to say they will aim 4K60. I also expect Gears 5 to be 4K60 and all the other sport games from EA. The CPU bump will make alot of the cross gen gamers run 60fps.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Will this gaming console have weeb shit to play like the original xbox did though?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeresJohnny

Pretty underwhelming. It's a year and a half off and it's going to be fucking expensive unless MS is willing to take it in the shorts to try and leverage a market. No actual games shown, just a distant pan away of a Warthog running across terrain bookended by a bunch of ridiculous hyperbole about how this is not just another Xbox, this is the future of gaming. This is not how you reveal a system.

Last edited:

Leonidas

This was 5 minutes of absolute bullshit and nothing. Just words.

Same as Sony reveal, except this time we learned hardware accelerated ray-tracing and the SSD Virtual RAM load time trick.

I guess we'll learn more info the next time Sony announces something before they eventually arrive at the same box :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Halo 5, Doom, Forza 7, several sports titles, multiple CODs, etc.
All of this is as far from most demanding games as you can get when it comes to AAA. There's even version of DOOM on Swhich for Christ' sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Try running something like AC Origins / Odyssey, Watch_Dogs 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Metro Exodus, Rise / Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Kingdom Come etc. in 4K 60 on PC.

It's not the standard. But it's doable and done.
Oh for sure and won't even try to argue cuz there's plenty of games that can run in 4K 60 even on XONE S... mostly indie games.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Same as Sony reveal, except this time we learned hardware accelerated ray-tracing and the SSD Virtual RAM load time trick.

I guess we'll learn more info the next time Sony announces something before they eventually arrive at the same box :goog_smile_face_eyes:
Umm they literally just repeated what Sony already said minus the 3D Audio part.
screen-shot-2019-05-21-at-9-00-43-am.png

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't think anyone should get their Hope's up for 60fps after cross gen. Developers will fall in love with RT. If it can destroy a nvidia high GPU well it will cripple a midlevel AMD GPU. Honestly would rather seen those transistors go to more CUs or a cutom physics unit.

Last edited:

J4K

All of this is as far from most demanding games as you can get when it comes to AAA. There's even version of DOOM on Swhich for Christ' sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Try running something like AC Origins / Odyssey, Watch_Dogs 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Metro Exodus, Rise / Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Kingdom Come etc. in 4K 60 on PC.

You're changing the goal posts. "No, not what most of the industry considers a AAA game. Here's my definition."

My point wasn't that Xbox One X runs all games flawless at 60 FPS. My point was that it can indeed run demanding games at that frame rate (you seemed a few posts ago to think that was impossible), so any future allegedly improved model should certainly be at least as capable. You are wrong to assume a future console will not be able to.

You are tedious to deal with. Good night.

Developers will fall in love with RT. If it can destroy a nvidia high GPU well it will cripple a midlevel AMD GPU.

This is a valid concern, and it goes back to my point that the ball will really be in the user's court. The hardware next gen will certainly be capable of delivering 4K60, but if users clamor for the latest ray-tracing look then we're probably once again in a "best we can make things look at 30 FPS" situation.

The ray tracing hardware hasn't really been discussed much at this point for these systems other than to confirm that it's there, so we'll just have to see.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It would appear I was hasty in my judgment of that Infinite trailer. After watching on the 4k tv, there is a definite jump in clarity and texture. It's not groundbreaking but I sold it short when I saw it earlier.

Scarlett will be a monster!

Pallas

I'm surprised no one has mentioned about it only being one console, no lower spec console announced.
Now all the concern trolling about the lower spec console holding back gaming can officially stop.

Makes me wonder if they are going to design it after Anaconda and release it at a later date, we will probably know more at next E3, but with as many rumors about Lockhart I doubt it just poof’ed.
Sony sat their lead hardware architect down with a tech magazine and explained in detail their hardware choices.
Microsoft rolled out a sizzle reel where their talking heads were excited about “the SSD and the solid state drive”.... which are the same thing.
Sorry friend, Microsoft delivered a cloud of buzzwords and nothing else.

Is that what they said? I’ve seen several point that out but several others, including myself heard SoC and solid state drive.
Pretty underwhelming. It's a year and a half off and it's going to be fucking expensive unless MS is willing to take it in the shorts to try and leverage a market. No actual games shown, just a distant pan away of a Warthog running across terrain bookended by a bunch of ridiculous hyperbole about how this is not just another Xbox, this is the future of gaming. This is not how you reveal a system.

It’s about as much of a reveal as Sony’s PS5 just fancier with more talking heads. Sift specs, nothing too detailed. You were either hyping yourself up too much or purposely being obtuse if you think they were going to reveal everything + next gen games.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Glad that they're not going to try and be the all in one multimedia console this time around. If you build an extremely powerful console to play games, it can easily handle everything else. I'm excited at what both Microsoft and Sony are going to bring out next year.

You ever feel like you wrote 2 thousand words and then some dude focuses on literally one word?

By "high" I just meant higher than what you'd get on Scorpio. There is no pre-defined meaning to what "high" actually is, no spec or universally agreed upon benchmark.

You're being pedantic about something that has no definition... I would have thought the context would be clear, but hopefully now you understand what I'm saying.
He's confusing consoles with pcs he thinks console developers just press the toggles like on pc game settings.

I'm still trying to get into my head what the guy meant by "That SSD and Solid State Drive together are truly amazing" (don't have a time stamp, and don't care enough to find it).

For those not in the know SSD means Solid State Drive.... so whoever he was, he must have been from sales :messenger_confounded:

And that 4x the power - I understood it as them talking about the Zen2 compared to the Jaguar, which would make sense, maybe even be somewhat disappointing.

I don't think we will have GPUs that have 4 times as much computing power as the Xbox X (I'd like to be wrong, but I seriously doubt it).

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-one-s-vs-xbox-one-x/?amp. So they said Xbox one X was 4.5 times the Xbox one n that was true cause its 1,31 teraflops X 4.5 = 6 teraflops and now they say Scarlett is 4 X the one X so that's 4 X 6 = 24 teraflops which is and again more than 16 X powerful than the original Xbox one if my math is correct then Scarlett has passed the test what's remaining is how much memory it's got

Hinedorf

Banned
My primary question is now that Gamepass is on both Microsoft OS and Console is how exclusivity will be treated for games like Halo.

If I can build a PC better than Scarlet then why wouldn't I just wait for availability on Gamepass/PC. Are they really going to screw their customers on PC for the simple reason they want you to buy proprietary inferior hardware?

I'm all for the Software/Service model it just sounds so stupid to make it hardware-exclusive.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony sat their lead hardware architect down with a tech magazine and explained in detail their hardware choices.
Microsoft rolled out a sizzle reel where their talking heads were excited about “the SSD and the solid state drive”.... which are the same thing.
Sorry friend, Microsoft delivered a cloud of buzzwords and nothing else.
Just a correction... he said SoC not SSD.

SoC and Solid State Drive are not the same... I don’t know where people made that up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom