• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Console "Project Scarlett" Coming Next Year and it "Eats Monsters for Breakfast"

Bryank75

Banned
Seems by the careful change of wording that they are either not sure if the scarlet is more powerful anymore or they found out it isn't... Either way there won't be much between them.

Shin

Banned
I'm surprised no one has mentioned about it only being one console, no lower spec console announced.
E3 2020, I think we got carried away and silently were perhaps (I at least on some level) was expecting too much.
But after the show I realize there will still be 5 months after the next E3 before launch so really long way to go and there's time for all the juicy stuff still.

mango drank

Also a huge chunk of computing power goes to our new hype 4k and as show, next gen consoles will swallow even more power when tech giants decide that we humans need 8k TV's and game consoles. Huge Graphical leaps are over until we get a big breakthrough with RT and manage to get that into cheap small chips so consoles can benefit from that too and we stop jumping upwards the resolution scale.

Thank you. Came here to post this. This resolution race is so lame, and it's holding back progress in general graphical improvements. I know 8k is more of a hand-wavey marketing bullet point for next gen than an actual target, but the fact that they're even mentioning it pisses me off. Focus on other things, ugh.

quest

Not Banned from OT
E3 2020, I think we got carried away and silently were perhaps (I at least on some level) was expecting too much.
But after the show I realize there will still be 5 months after the next E3 before launch so really long way to go and there's time for all the juicy stuff still.

Guessing we won't get the juicy stuff until February or March next from Sony. I am guessing MS will wait until E3 next year to get into details.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It feels like we're really getting to the point of convergence in the console space. Microsoft and Sony are both putting top notch hardware in their next generation systems, but I imagine they're both running up to the point of diminishing returns which is why we're going to see both consoles have very similar specifications. Could Microsoft or Sony make a more powerful console? Maybe, but they're probably both going to find that sweet spot of balancing specifications with cost - even if they build this system as a loss leader, it's like playing a game of chicken to determine which company is willing to lose the most amount of money per unit to build the better system. And will doing so (let's say one company gets 10% more compute from their systems) really matter that much to consumers to make the endeavor a worthwhile one?

ZehDon

Gold Member
And this is why Sony skipped E3. Either you bring enough or don’t bother turning up. Having them give virtually no concrete details makes this “announcement” hollow PR. We learned nothing, and “in-engine footage” of a Halo game 18 month before launch and a year after a teaser reveal isn’t enough to register on my “Give-a-shit-o-meter”. This announcement hung like a cloud over their whole conference, and they never got out from underneath it. It’s not “bad”, because it’s... nothing. “Tune in next year”.

CuNi

Thank you. Came here to post this. This resolution race is so lame, and it's holding back progress in general graphical improvements. I know 8k is more of a hand-wavey marketing bullet point for next gen than an actual target, but the fact that they're even mentioning it pisses me off. Focus on other things, ugh.

My local Electronics shop has a 8k Samsung QLED TV on display.. I sadly think it's not just a hand-wavey marketing bullet point for next gen but they really are serious about that resolution target. But yes, I truly hope that dev's won't use 8k output for anything other than like 2D games or indie or even just movies/pictures/media in this or the next gen console either. But sadly that's not for us consumers to decide what we actually want.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
are you under shock?
they developed new ssd tech.... said the engineer and 4x the processing power of the X.
most people was thinking it will be ca. 12TF.
Its 100% more.... i think above 18TF.

and HARDWARE RAYTRACING
that megaton..

sony has telling nothing about power and RT... sony 8TF ps5 is not really next gen ist more a streaming box for stadia... lol.

m

Don’t do drugs, kids.

And this is why Sony skipped E3. Either you bring enough or don’t bother turning up. Having them give virtually no concrete details makes this “announcement” hollow PR. We learned nothing, and “in-engine footage” of a Halo game 18 month before launch and a year after a teaser reveal isn’t enough to register on my “Give-a-shit-o-meter”. This announcement hung like a cloud over their whole conference, and they never got out from underneath it. It’s not “bad”, because it’s... nothing. “Tune in next year”.
you are right "we learned nothing" from Sony.
We know sure about scarlett:
Hardware RT and 4x Xbox X and new only for scarlett developed SSD tech.
that not nothing.

J4K

Yeah, over 100 FPS is more like for smaller and not demanding games, but AAA? 4K 30 FPS for sure, no question, and I doubt that they'll drop 4K for 1080p to offer more performance. but they could give as an option at least. Anyway, we'll see.

This new Elite controller though is amazing! Hopefully it'll be available soon in my country.

There's a difference this generation though that people aren't considering: this is the first time in a long time that the resolution between one generation and the next will be the same: 4K (at least when we're looking at Pro consoles).

Given that's there's something like 150 million PS4s and XBOX One's out there, I think we're going to see a long tail of cross-generation titles that need to run on last generation systems and the new ones. So how do you differentiate your next generation release from a Scorpio/Pro version running at the same 4K resolution?

Sure, you can amp the visual effects up and have faster loading times, but even then you're still going to have headroom because fundamentally the game was still designed for 1080p30 on a PS4, and 4K30 on a XBOX One X, with its game simulation regardless of platform built around the lowly Jaguar CPU common to all of the previous gen systems.

So really the only way these cross-generation titles will even be able to differentiate themselves, given that no one's going to be loading up their living room with an 8K TV in 2020 or even 2021, will be 60 FPS. You bought the game for Scorpio? Ok, you're getting maybe adaptive 4K resolution and 30 FPS. You bought the next-generation release? You're getting high settings and a locked 4K60 experience that feels tangibly better.

This then is where it gets interesting: If the first several waves of next generation titles are released like this, they're actually going to create an expectation of 60 FPS among the unwashed masses of console owners, who previously accepted 30 FPS as their baseline because they didn't really know any better.

What comes next is that if the feel of 60 FPS is the default out of the gate for 90% of games, it'll be much, much harder for developers to release a 30 FPS game. They'll have finally trained console gamers to expect better.

Last edited:

B_Boss

So....next year, E3 2020 will be reveals of both. I’m speculating but I’m sure it’ll be a repeat of E3 2013 hopefully without either side bombing.

There's a difference this generation though that people aren't considering: this is the first time in a long time that the resolution between one generation and the next will be the same: 4K (at least when we're looking at Pro consoles).

Given that's there's something like 150 million PS4s and XBOX One's out there, I think we're going to see a long tail of cross-generation titles that need to run on last generation systems and the new ones. So how do you differentiate your next generation release from a Scorpio/Pro version running at the same 4K resolution?

Sure, you can amp the visual effects up and have faster loading times, but even then you're still going to have headroom because fundamentally the game was still designed for 1080p30 on a PS4, and 4K30 on a XBOX One X, with its game simulation regardless of platform built around the lowly Jaguar CPU common to all of the previous gen systems.

So really the only way these cross-generation titles will even be able to differentiate themselves, given that no one's going to be loading up their living room with an 8K TV in 2020 or even 201, will be 60 FPS. You bought the game for Scorpio? Ok, you're getting maybe adaptive 4K resolution and 30 FPS. You bought the next-generation release? You're getting high settings and a locked 4K60 experience that feels tangibly better.

This then is where it gets interesting: If the first several waves of next generation titles are released like this, they're actually going to create an expectation of 60 FPS among the unwashed masses of console owners, who previously accepted 30 FPS as their baseline because they didn't really know any better.

What comes next is that if the feel of 60 FPS is the default out of the gate for 90% of games, it'll be much, much harder for developers to release a 30 FPS game. They'll have finally trained console gamers to expect better.

With all due respect “better” is subjective and 60fps isn’t necessarily “better” than 30fps. Options are everything but I hope these devs aren’t catering to 60fps “just cause” so many repeat this mantra. Personally there are games I prefer in 30 and games I’d probably prefer in 60. It’s never a make or break deal for me and I’m sure most “untrained” console gamers feel the same way.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
you are right "we learned nothing" from Sony.
We know sure about scarlett:
Hardware RT and 4x Xbox X and new only for scarlett developed SSD tech.
that not nothing.
Sony sat their lead hardware architect down with a tech magazine and explained in detail their hardware choices.
Microsoft rolled out a sizzle reel where their talking heads were excited about “the SSD and the solid state drive”.... which are the same thing.
Sorry friend, Microsoft delivered a cloud of buzzwords and nothing else.

MadAnon

xbox x can make 4K 30 fps with high pc settings in many games... when scarlett can process 4x that power, it is absolutely great and more then most people was thinking.
12TF or 24TF changes nothing, is irrelevant.
It is!? Because if that x4 number is in CPU processing power then graphics (4k30fps, high settings) has nothing to do with it. In laymen's terms, it doesn't mean that Scarlett will be able to do 4 x 4k30fps high settings as you try to imply.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
no new Twitter message from Cerny?

......... can you hear that silence.... it's frightening.... 🤔
What exactly are you expecting him to say? Guy's never been a shittalker and seeing as he dropped all the same info about PS5 beforehand, it shows that he knew exactly what Scarlett would have and did so to cut the grass from right under MS. All according to plan.

Otherwise MS has said nothing Cerny didn't, in fact they said even less.

devilNprada

Cerny is a professional chief architect for Sony not Miley Cyrus in a Twitter battle. Wtf are you 12?

Anyways I'm excited for the better load times.

Just a comment on the diversity thing though... yeah, didn't really see that Anne Coulter clone as some innovating system designer, more like the accountant. So was the video diverse for the sake of being diverse? Seems like all the female designers are almost always "RPG gamers".. Just saying.

demigod

xbox x can make 4K 30 fps with high pc settings in many games... when scarlett can process 4x that power, it is absolutely great and more then most people was thinking.
12TF or 24TF changes nothing, is irrelevant.

Are you fucking for real, lol. Stop before you continue to make a fool out of yourself.

You're pretentiousness is embarrassing and cringeworthy.

They hardly revealed anything about the console. It's confirmed to exist, it's confirmed to have an SSD and it will play games. We know less about Scarlett than we know about PS5.
I am willing to bet PS5 is coming sooner than Scarlett, given that dev kits have been in the wild for months now.

Makes sense though. Why reveal too much now when release isn't until next year? Carry your fading console for one more year and save your big announcements for the launch of your new console cycle.

Evilms

Banned
Screenshot_20190609-194656_Brave.png

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I will watch the tralier again but I was not overwhelmed by its look (Halo) but I will say with how well the Xbox One X preforms i am willing to take Microsoft at their word.

These specs also mean huge file sizes. If Gears 4K is 129GB I imagine Gears 5 will be pushing 200+ GB. Physical Media is a must but what kind? 4K Blu-ray for games is a must next gen, maybe a new format?

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I honestly think that it's going to be 1440 at 60 and 2160 at variable fps. I could maybe see 1080 at 120fps.

I suppose it depends on the game to be fair.

Evilms

Banned
It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

Geki-D

Banned
What does it matter which one is more powerful?
I know you got me on ignore but I'll reply anyway :D
To MS quite a bit because their exclusive games are less of a selling point than Sony's are. To Sony it matters (and also to MS for the same reason) because it means their platform is the best place to play third parties.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What does it matter which one is more powerful?

No it does not.

The reality is both machines are going to be very similar, and both sufficiently powerful to make games specced to run on current-gen hardware look very nice indeed. Which is good as the cross-gen transition period could be longer than usual and frankly setting a base-spec to what these machines can offer will limit portability.

Top Bottom