• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New V/H/S sequel, V/H/S/24 a Shudder original.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Might be alright, the older entries were spotty but had their moments.

I do think as a series its been guilty of misusing its gimmick, I mean the whole VHS angle is so tangential in most cases it might as well not be there.

Keihart

Might be alright, the older entries were spotty but had their moments.

I do think as a series its been guilty of misusing its gimmick, I mean the whole VHS angle is so tangential in most cases it might as well not be there.
They are just compilation of shorts, every short has a different director the cohesive story between them is there just because.
Talking about the trailer and since you mention VHS, i got the impression of them playing the whole retro tapes angle now with the '94 on the tittle and the VHS tracking lines look, maybe it's a theme for the shorts this time.

Edit: confirmed directors for this one with some returning ones, "Simon Barrett, Timo Tjahjanto, Jennifer Reeder, Ryan Prows, and Chloe Okuno."

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Imacelebrityau GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They are just compilation of shorts, every short has a different director the cohesive story between them is there just because.
Talking about the trailer and since you mention VHS, i got the impression of them playing the whole retro tapes angle now with the '94 on the tittle and the VHS tracking lines look, maybe it's a theme for the shorts this time.

Edit: confirmed directors for this one with some returning ones, "Simon Barrett, Timo Tjahjanto, Jennifer Reeder, Ryan Prows, and Chloe Okuno."

Yeah, I just think that VHS denotes a gritty sort of aesthetic, not just a bit of fake tracking noise added in post. Too many episodes in the past leaned morew towards generic "found footage" tropes, which for me undersold a potentially interesting gimmick.

Kev Kev

i liked the first one alot. the second one pissed me off because they killed the dog in the very last scene just for cheap shock value and i thought it was hacky an unnecessary, but the rest of the move was alright, not as good as the first. and the one after that, vhs viral, was alright, about as good as the 2nd one i thought. this trailer actually looks pretty decent. some bizarre and cool looking stuff going on there.

im down. im a whore for found footage movies so anything to keep the genre going is good with me.

Keihart

Well that was kinda meh.
Aesthetically all the shorts feel solid, but the concepts are way to shallow and similar compared to the previous ones.
I think that calling every short in this a variation of a zombie story would be true with a little leeway on the meaning of zombie.
First 2 movies are still the best ones of this whole "quadrilogy"?

Last edited:
First two VHS movies were fantastic to me. I've seen them multiple times. Of course there were stronger segments than others, but it was a very creepy movie and I loved how every 'tape' had its own vibe/feel.

Some truly shocking moments.

I was very let down by VHS: Viral. It didn't capture what made the first two so great. I hope this is a return to form.

Watched it last night. It's WAY better than Viral. I'd place 94 right under VHS 2, I think. The Indonesian segment would have hit harder if this movie came out before Resident Evil 8, though... but it was still pretty fun, especially towards the end where it turned into the best Doom movie to date - they even did a glory kill!

Top Bottom