• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants Reportedly Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner

Nihilum

Remake Fallout 3 or New Vegas. They have several studios which could do it.
Obsidian is way too busy with Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 to be able to make NV2. And I honestly don't think anyone but Obsidian should be making a Fallout spinoff game.
They are literally leaving money on the table. Microsoft management needs to start throwing their weight around to get their money they invested back. Phil just isn't leading all that well.

Hahaha Fallout 5 will be a 2035-2040 release on the playstation7 or playstation 8.

If microsoft wants fallout games, it needs to rip it from the hands of Todd Howard. Oh by the way, the company obtained rights to fallout in 2020, in 2021 microsoft bought bethesda... we could have had a fallout game ready, as long as Todd Howard wasn't involved.

I'm not saying Todd is a bad person or a bad developer. It's just that he's bottlenecking Bethesda output.
What is he doing to bottle-neck development at Bethesda?

I mean Obsidian is making Outer Worlds 2. Change that into Fallout 2799 or something, aka Fallout in Space! 😉
If it's just a name change, it's completely meaningless. They would have to change the game around, which would make it take even longer.

What they should do is advertise Outer Worlds games to Fallout fans, taking into account some of the similarities.

Fallout? Elder Scrolls? No. You’ll wait 8 years for boring ass Starfield and you should be grateful for it.
It was 4.5 years from their last game. And also COVID affected every developer on the planet and delayed things even more. Calm down, games will still be made, it's going to be ok.

Bethesda needs to get one Elder Scrolls and one Fallout on each new generation of consoles. If they can’t manage that, Microsoft needs to get someone else working on them. Even a different genre of game would be OK.

StereoVsn

If it's just a name change, it's completely meaningless. They would have to change the game around, which would make it take even longer.

What they should do is advertise Outer Worlds games to Fallout fans, taking into account some of the similarities.
Outer Worlds utterly fails at being a Fallout game. It was bland, boring, very limited at scope and didn’t have any modding support.

The only thing in common to Bethesda’s fare was bad writing and boring characters. I am kind of shocked they came out from same studio behind New Vegas.

It was 4.5 years from their last game. And also COVID affected every developer on the planet and delayed things even more. Calm down, games will still be made, it's going to be ok.

I don’t think entire Bethsoft was invoked in Fallout 76 creation. You had a large chunk of folks working on Starfield for like 7+ years. The outcome was terrible.

Also, with Microsoft acquisition there should have been separate teams working on different IPs. I

PaintTinJr

My laptop doesn't have the U processor, it's the HQ variant, it's a genuine gaming laptop (for the time it released in)

It's a 7300HQ, 1060, 16GB RAM.

Yeah that's certainly a decent laptop, although looking at the CPU specs I would wonder how well the lower base clock and lack of hyperthreading with 1 thread per core might impact the odd game like New Vegas, as it was built around a 3-way Xbox360 Xenon and the PS3's 2-way Cell BE, probably meaning it is very clock bound and needed the 2nd thread per core.

It does make sense. Strike while the iron is hot they say. Problem is you can't make an AAA title in any short amount of time anymore. Even if Fallout Season 2 does not air until 2026 when could a sequel game realistically come out? 2027 at best?

I don’t think entire Bethsoft was invoked in Fallout 76 creation. You had a large chunk of folks working on Starfield for like 7+ years. The outcome was terrible.

Also, with Microsoft acquisition there should have been separate teams working on different IPs. I
BGS works on multiple games at a time, but only one is in full production at a time. Same as with Elder Scrolls and Fallout, Starfield was in a period of pre-production until Fallout 76 was finished, and then entered full production at some point in late 2018/ 2019. Given that COVID happened right in the midst of full production, and it being their first new IP in 25 years, I think it could've been a lot worse. And Bethesda operates independently under Xbox, as a limited-integration entity. BGS does not operate any differently now than they did prior to the acquisiton, in regards to how they develop games, i.e. how they scale up for full production for their next game, and move the majority of their team over to it, once the previous game is finished.

F76 was developed internally by BGS, but because it was their first online game, and because it was so large, they did bring in support studios to work on it as well.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What is he doing to bottle-neck development at Bethesda?

He does not allow anyone else to rise to game director for their open world rpgs so that Bethesda might run projects in paralel or pseudoparalel.

He also manages as executive producer every other project.

And again, I am not accusing him of being a bad director or bad developer! I am just saying that he's become a bottleneck and the reason we won't see fallout 5 until 2034 at least.

Jinzo Prime

Christopher Lloyd Realization GIF

I just realized something: Fallout London is going to be the first "new" Fallout game following the success of the show, and may be some people's first Fallout game period. A fan made mod which has received zero support from Bethesda might influence what people think of the series as a whole.

And because it's being distributed by GOG, we may get official download counts weekly. I have a feeling London will be huge because their professionaly produced Youtube updates will be recommended to people looking to get into the games for the first time. This is going to be very interesting to watch.

Stafford

It's nice to want things, but is it possible? I mean Todd made it clear he wants to be the one making Fallout 5. So a spin off then? By who, Obsidian after Avowed is done? I am all for it though, it's downright depressing to think about how long we'll be waiting for a proper new Fallout game.

Watch this be a Fallout Shelter 2 though, lmfao. 😐

iHaunter

Hand it over to Obsidian and bring back the New Vegas crew. They won't do this because it hurts poor Todd Howards feelings that Obsidian arguably made a better Fallout game than they did.

Its fucking obvious that is the best decision.

Would MS do it? No, because they're run by incompetent fucking morons

If MS had any intelligence they would have commissioned remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas the day they acquired Bethesda. People were BEGGING for this.

Again, they're too fucking dumb to take easy wins.

C'mon Microsoft, show me.....just once....that you are capable of making a good decision in the Phil Spencer era.
All Phil cares about is GP and moving it to other consoles. He's thrown in the towel at this point.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Goddamn I wish Bethesda would allow other studios to make the occasional Fallout, and maybe Elder Scrolls game. I love Bethesda-style RPGs, I love the freedom and interactivity they provide, I love how fucking immersive they are. I was so disappointed when The Outer Worlds didn't have the persistent physics or dynamic NPC routines of Fallout. Ironically, their vision of a post-apocalyptic landscape felt much more alive.
If Obsidian, Arkane (feel like there's potential there), or any other Bethesda or Xbox studio can make another great entry in a Bethesda franchise, I'm all in.

Top Bottom