• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants Reportedly Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner

reektann

So realistically it'll still be 2-4 years from now if they are only just now thinking about it.. cool... cool cool cool.

Last edited:

Braag

Remake Fallout 3 or New Vegas. They have several studios which could do it.
Obsidian is way too busy with Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 to be able to make NV2. And I honestly don't think anyone but Obsidian should be making a Fallout spinoff game.

Wildebeest

To be cynical, they could probably quickly bang out a Fallout themed Lethal Company clone and people would eat it up. Thematically it fits.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Hand it over to Obsidian and bring back the New Vegas crew. They won't do this because it hurts poor Todd Howards feelings that Obsidian arguably made a better Fallout game than they did.

Its fucking obvious that is the best decision.

Would MS do it? No, because they're run by incompetent fucking morons

If MS had any intelligence they would have commissioned remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas the day they acquired Bethesda. People were BEGGING for this.

Again, they're too fucking dumb to take easy wins.

C'mon Microsoft, show me.....just once....that you are capable of making a good decision in the Phil Spencer era.
You know they literally could've remastered it with mods and did some coding to make it stable upon integration and passed the mixers modders some cash. I can't imagine that would've been more than a few months of work at the most.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Write a fat check to Avellone and get him on board with Obsidian. Put the new Outer Worlds on ice (nobody cares) and have them make a smaller scale production Fallout game. Could be done in a few years.

Instead they will show a teaser trailer for a sweet baby approved fallout 5 to coincide with season 2 and it won’t come out until 2035.

Wildebeest

Write a fat check to Avellone and get him on board with Obsidian. Put the new Outer Worlds on ice (nobody cares) and have them make a smaller scale production Fallout game. Could be done in a few years.

Instead they will show a teaser trailer for a sweet baby approved fallout 5 to coincide with season 2 and it won’t come out until 2035.
It's going to take the crackheads at BGS at least 15 years to come up with a different family member to go hunting for other than the main character's father or son.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hindsight is always 20/20 huh. They planned a new tv series but didn't think on how to time it to capitalized on it beyond a simple upgrade of old games.

StereoVsn

I won't believe that is happening until it actually happens. Fallout 3 remaster was posted on the leak, but we've heard nothing since then.

Knowing MS they probably cancelled it, because....big daddy Todd said no.
Also after the effort Bethesda put into “remastering” Fallout 4, I wouldn’t trust them to do a decent job anyways. They seem to have lost any semblance of competency in recent years.

Look at Starfield, another game with huge issues around design, writing, storytelling and gameplay. Look at Fallout 4 where they can’t do nearly as good a job as some random modders.

So yeah, I agree, a competent MS would have given the IP to Obsidian, but that’s not what we got here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not surprising. If the show remains good and has a few seasons on it, they might be able to capitalise but who knows.

The Stig

Only if we get a new engine. That thing is ANCIENT and in Starfield we saw it's corpse dug up and re-animated.

Tg89

Weird strategy. They let Starfield cook for an extra year and it was a steaming pile of shit. Not sure how rushing that same developer is a good idea.

Just let obsidian do it and that is really the best solution. Still if they start today 5 years.
They apparently did New Vegas within 8 months. So it could be done, if they use the current engine… which is a thing in and of itself I guess.

Also, New Vegas was miles better than the other Bethesda Fallouts

Ulysses 31

Obsidian is way too busy with Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 to be able to make NV2.
Gonna be kinda hard even if they were available, NV walls seems to have been breached and it's a dead city in the series.

Unless it would be about rebuilding NV to its former glory.

Last edited:
I Don’t think obsidian is capable of writing a game like New Vegas any longer.
Let’s wait until Avowed comes out before making this claim.

I didn’t like the storytelling in Outer Worlds but I need to see them handle a world that isn’t based on corporations and product placement before I call it.

Killer8

It's crazy that they still have a lot of the New Vegas team and aren't putting them to work on a sequel. Instead we get a lot of middling crap like Avowed and The Outer Worlds because 'muh creative freedom'.

Crack the whip and get them to work on something the public actually gives a damn about.

Give it to Larian and make is isometric again
devil satan GIF

Grow a set of balls Microsoft and just assign it to Obsidian. Todd doesn’t have to give his input. They’re wasting their time with the Dollar Tree Skyrim game they’re making right now anyways.
Todd probably did something like or will do something like, threaten to quit, join sony, never make a game again, ect to prevent that

Shut0wen

Hand it over to Obsidian and bring back the New Vegas crew. They won't do this because it hurts poor Todd Howards feelings that Obsidian arguably made a better Fallout game than they did.

Its fucking obvious that is the best decision.

Would MS do it? No, because they're run by incompetent fucking morons

If MS had any intelligence they would have commissioned remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas the day they acquired Bethesda. People were BEGGING for this.

Again, they're too fucking dumb to take easy wins.

C'mon Microsoft, show me.....just once....that you are capable of making a good decision in the Phil Spencer era.
Your implying obsidian can even take on the job which i highly doubt since they have 2 games in development, plus the obvious answer would be giving the series back to the ogs at inexile

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd rather they don't, neither Bethesda nor Obsidian, which imo are far from being today who they where when they developed New Vegas.

Honestly after Outer Worlds and how average Avowed looks, I have 0 faith in them.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I have it on Steam Deck. Plays fine for me....but I'm not a PC super race snob

Me neither. It just needs to work properly and I'm satisfied. Doesn't need maxed out settings to enjoy games. And from the replies I got it seems New Vegas works as intended. Pulling the trigger now that it's on sale on GoG.

Raven117

Let’s wait until Avowed comes out before making this claim.

I didn’t like the storytelling in Outer Worlds but I need to see them handle a world that isn’t based on corporations and product placement before I call it.
Probably a wise choice. But from what I’ve seen, I’m not too hopeful.

I think we all want all the games to come sooner.
This. Gaming as a whole is worse for it that it takes so long to make games. But rushing isn't going to make it better.

One of the reason Switch is a hybrid is because Nintendo couldn't make games fast enough for two separate platforms. At this point we are all resigning to the fact that new games will take 5 years.

Ownage

Best option is to remaster F3/NV like they did with Skyrim Anniversary edition or whatever

Obsidian is busy with Avowed and Bethesda is busy with ES VI. Not a chance that they will stop what they are doing to make a new Fallout. And even if they do, it would take at least 3-4 years to make.

MS being surprised by the boom in popularity after the tv series is such a MS thing. They fuck up every single time.
Even boomers in my family, 70+ years old, are now into Fallout because of the tv show. How hard was this to predict?

I think at best they can make some remaster but game dev takes too much time this days. Though potentially before 2030 it is possible to get a new game. Though by that time FO fever might go away.

I think at best they can make some remaster but game dev takes too much time this days. Though potentially before 2030 it is possible to get a new game. Though by that time FO fever might go away.
I can't believe that Microsoft can't form a team from scratch to make a Fallout game. You can't seriously be telling me every single employee at Xbox are too busy? i understand Bethesda and Obsidian are out, but that shouldn't stop Microsoft if they want to cobble a team together. Yes, it still will take 4-5 years, but at this point starting is better than not starting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom