• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout thirst is real since the TV show success, what should be done?

How would you manage the demand for 'new' fallout content?

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bethesda (Todd) said they don't want to do an ES TV show maybe they will change their minds with the success of Fallout

Even if they change their mind now, it's gonna be at least 3, 4 years before it comes to realization. So it's not happening any time soon either way.

There is enough Fallout stuff out there already. Just put a bigger emphasis on what already exists and then make something new to launch with season 3 or 4.

Maybe remaster New Vegas to launch with season two, but who knows what the timelines on those would be. Maybe we don’t get season two until 2026.

It's a damn fucking shame that FO New Vegas never got a resolution boost like FO3 did. FO3 at 4K/60 holds up pretty well, I've been playing NV last couple of days and the writing and quests are still some of the best in any WRPG. And while it has the FPS boost, a resolution boost would have been great too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, I wonder if that’s changed at all with Fallout hitting it big? I can’t see Elder Scrolls not being eyeballed. I think it could be a potential hit.
I just mean, they have to actually have a talented real director / showrunner or its pointless. Fallout has one of the Nolan brothers.

Be bold and give 5 to Obsidian. They won't because it would probably come back to bite them. It would probably better than all the FO shit since NV. I heard Bethesda still has a sour pus over how good New Vegas is compared to FO3. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_grinning_sweat:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nothing can be done.

These things are and should be planned years ahead of time. Xbox didn't plan anything, so now they can't do anything to capitalize on the hype.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Remaster 3 and NV. I'm playing FO76 but this game is sorely lacking any real in depth RPG elements. Great setting and the basic gameplay is there but I'm just finding it lacking.

DaGwaphics

Nothing can be done.

These things are and should be planned years ahead of time. Xbox didn't plan anything, so now they can't do anything to capitalize on the hype.

I wouldn't say they can't do anything. Even simple current gen updates for 3 and 4 can help put them in front of users that are new to the games. We know the next-gen patch for 4 is already on the way.

Hudo

If they remaster/remake Fallout 1 and/or 2, I hope they'll stick with the isometric perspective

Or make it at least like BG3, where your basic perspective is still from above and zoomed out but you can zoom in as you like etc.

Last edited:
They honestly have lots of options. InXile is nearly done with Clockwork. Avowed is nearly done. Could do a remake with a contract team of some kind.

There really is no way to change the trajectory of Bethesda though. Elder Scrolls is just as big or bigger. And Todd is for sure doing Fallout 5. He's producing the show.

Basically remake or spinoff or rereleases.
Just do a New Vegas style game. Don't call it fallout 5 call it Fallout: Something. If no pre-existing Xbox studio wants to make it then create a new Bethesda team right where BGS is at, it'll be BGS team B they'll use the BGS engine to make Fallout: Something. When BGS A is done with Elders scrolls they can make Fallout 5. BGS B can make Starfield 2 or something.

jwaxeman

They should probably do a proper remake(updated graphics) with small tweaks to gameplay to make it feel more modern, just like TLOU Part 1. It will probably stikl take 3-4 years. A completed new game would take 6+ years(starting from scratch)

From the TV execs at Amazon and Microsoft point of view, I'm guessing they both think of Fallout as a potential multi-series IP, similar to Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. It's a really unique world that can tell all kinds of different stories. Hopefully Amazon doesn't run it into the ground like AMC did with The Walking Dead
If the rumors were accurate they’ve got some fallout related remake brewing. So maybe not from scratch. And maybe not 3-4 years.

Kurotri

I don't know, man. Feels like there's nothing that can be done. They should've had a proper game ready, set after the events of the show maybe.If not by BGS then someone else. They have so many studios, hell they could've reached out to a studio they don't even own and have them have a go at it.
Microsoft is so terrible at managing their IPs that it gets more frustrating the more you think about it. It's unclear how many seasons the show will get, and by the time they release a hypothetical spin-off, the show might already be over or even worse, might not have stuck the landing well and turned people off like Game of Thrones. Capitalizing on the show's success seems pretty unlikely at this point, so MS just royally fucked up.

But if this thirst is enough for MS to finally take the IP away from Todd's hands so that people don't have to wait 20 years between games (not even an exageration), that'd be a win in my book.

Fredrik

Yeah, I wonder if that’s changed at all with Fallout hitting it big? I can’t see Elder Scrolls not being eyeballed. I think it could be a potential hit.
The Elder Scroll would be perfect for TV today, lots of racial conflicts for social media noise and nice scenery and cool creatures and just a million ways to tell interesting stories. But they would need a seriously talented writer, director and producer. Fantasy is so bad when it’s not well-produced.

Nothing can be done, likely nothing can be done by the time season 2 even releases without it being extremely low effort or pure garbage. Make fallout 76 free to play permanently and hope people do that and spend money on game cosmetics.

Pallas

Hilarious how Sony plans this out gets a bunch of hate on places like gaf. Microsoft/Bethesda DON'T plan this out and we have people begging for remakes and remasters...
Pretty sure the hate on Microsoft is much more than Sony on Gaf and pretty much anywhere else that isn’t Xbox centric.

Really would enjoy a remaster of 3 and NV, I really would like to explore the world of 1 and 2 but they definitely need to be remade(I’m ok if it’s still CRPG or given a FPS remake in line with 3, NV and 4) but that’s gonna take a lot longer than a remaster of 3.

Gojiira

You fucked up OP….Remake New Vegas, with Chris Avellone,Josh Sawyer etc leading the team, let them remake the game as they originally envisioned with expanded content,DLC integrated AND a brand new season pass for 4-5 upcoming dlc.
Literally best 3d Fallout getting a definitive release. That or a Fallout 1 remake, also with Avellone/Sawyer etc.

Release that fallout 3 remaster they have been sitting on… supposedly

“Sitting on”? I think it’s under development, for sure. Why anyone would assume it’s done but deliberately not being released is beyond silly. Microsoft doesn’t have that many finished games do the Nintendo scheduling thing.

Concentrate efforts partly on Fallout 5 and partly on improving Starfield
Doesn’t matter. Fallout 5 won’t enter production until Elder Scrolls VI is done, which is at minimum 3-4 years away. Starfield DLC is in full swing but it’s a small team doing it as most of the main BGS team is moved over to Elder Scrolls

Trogdor1123

“Sitting on”? I think it’s under development, for sure. Why anyone would assume it’s done but deliberately not being released is beyond silly. Microsoft doesn’t have that many finished games do the Nintendo scheduling thing.
That’s exactly what I was getting at.

I really hope they are doing it but don’t have too much faith as they would use now as a time to announce it or show something.

Hoping I’m wrong though.

Filben

Fallout 1 and 2 in one game as a remake, keeps the top down perspective, takes the combat from Wasteland 3 with combat perks, cover system etc.

Fallout 76 update with (optional) non-instanced worlds so it can be truly a coop game.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas remasters, having the rebalance mods from Josh Sawyer, other QoL mods and "modern" things like weapon sway, recoil, sprinting, etc.

One can only dream...

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

That’s not how to do business when you suddenly have a red hot IP that peoples are thirsting over, but thanks for the shitposting. LOL is the reaction you fishing for right?

I think the issue is nothing they do will be done in time. You have to have this ready to go before or right after the show.

Best they can do is prepare for season 2. Hope season 2 is just as good and capatilize off that.

simpatico

Step 1: Fire Todd Howard. The best Bethesda game of all time was made by Obsidian. This guy is just getting in the way at this point
Step 2: Cancel Avowed (immediately and never speak of it again) and get the boys working on a new Fallout

Do Not Take Fallout from Bethesda, or do... - there are a bunch of bad ideas coming, such that market saturation of the fallout ip is nigh.
I forsee spinoffs, scrapped pilots, FPS shooters, theme park rides, the same terrible merch! Make sure there is firm guidance on the brand but allow for studios with proven success with the classic fallout somehow complement the online multiplayer, base-building stuff Bethesda is doing.

Elders Scrolls first - nobody really wants a new Fallout game. There are so many Fallout options for new people. I want elder scrolls 6 before I hit my mid-forties. That can be a show too, and likely will be a way to generate pre-orders for the next ES6

Yonyx

Banned
That leak has been around for years, and it's completely real. So the most logical thing is that the next thing to arrive will be a remaster of Fallout 3. It should have been a remake...

By the way, Bethesda's terrible planning seems both lamentable and surprising to me. They should have let another studio start a new Fallout game many years ago. It would have also been a good idea to start a remake of New Vegas several years ago. Now they would be on the verge of releasing new Fallout projects and swimming in money.

Cyberpunkd

Remake Fallout 1 for sure

and maybe do more marketing stunts to value the brand

I can see selling a lot of toys
Marketing stunts?

Toys?

puke GIF

Considering the whole franchise is a "what if" scenario of unrestrained capitalism and greed that led to the Great War that will for sure be something.

Cyberpunkd

By the way, Bethesda's terrible planning seems both lamentable and surprising to me. They should have let another studio start a new Fallout game many years ago. It would have also been a good idea to start a remake of New Vegas several years ago. Now they would be on the verge of releasing new Fallout projects and swimming in money.
This is also why Bobby Kotick was a great manager. The guy knew how to make money.

mdkirby

It’s very simple, they should acquire fallout London, and officially release it. That is a full sized fallout game that would be ready to go if it wasn’t for the fact their update just broke it. By throwing staff and money at the existing team they could have it ready for release within less than a year, with some upgrades thrown in. Seems a no brainier and the only way to get something fresh out in any remotely reasonable timeframe.

Laptop1991

It’s very simple, they should acquire fallout London, and officially release it. That is a full sized fallout game that would be ready to go if it wasn’t for the fact their update just broke it. By throwing staff and money at the existing team they could have it ready for release within less than a year, with some upgrades thrown in. Seems a no brainier and the only way to get something fresh out in any remotely reasonable timeframe.
I don't see why Bethesda should get money for a product they didn't make or have anything to do with, then gamers have to pay them for a free product which results in an even longer delay than we have now, when Fallout London is ready to release now as well, except for Bethesda's not very impressive patch.

Instead why doesn't Bethesda get off their lazy laurels and make some new games themselves in a reasonable timeframe to charge for!

mdkirby

I don't see why Bethesda should get money for a product they didn't make or have anything to do with, then gamers have to pay them for a free product which results in an even longer delay than we have now, when Fallout London is ready to release now as well, except for Bethesda's not very impressive patch.

Instead why doesn't Bethesda get off their lazy laurels and make some new games themselves in a reasonable timeframe to charge for!
because we won't be seeing another fallout for AT LEAST 4 years, probably 6, if they start TODAY. Some gamers would need to pay, yes, but its a Microsoft product now, so it would be available on Gamespass on PC and Xbox, and if they wanted they could have Sony write them a cheque to get it on PS+ too. It would reach far far more players than just the PC modding crowd. Currently everyone else is excluded. As for the modders, yes they've made it off the skin of their own backs, without any expectation of any money, (tho some have been hired by bethesda). But im pretty sure they would be quite happy if Microsoft threw $50mil their way to buy it. It would make almost anyone involved on it quite well off, and still be an absolute bargain for Microsoft, for what would have cost at least 200mil had they made it themselves.

And yes, it was ready to release now (until the patch), but the reality is the patch did release regardless and broke a lot of stuff, and as they said themselves having an official next gen version with the patch, whilst Bethesda have chosen not to really upgrade the base game at all, there's nothing stopping Fallout London upgrading all the textures, quantity of NPCs etc, ie actually utilising the power available, and/or adding things that may have been cut during optimisation. If done well, it would be a win for gamers, a win for Microsoft and a win for the fallout London team, and the only way millions of gamers are likely to ever play the thing.

The alternative is Fallout London remains a niche gem, the a comparatively limited number of people will ever play, the creators get nothing from it apart from a nice portfolio piece, and everyone else needs to wait the best part of a decade to 'maybe' get another decent fallout. If you take away any emotionally driven gut reactions, it seems pretty obvious which is the best approach to me.

Laptop1991

because we won't be seeing another fallout for AT LEAST 4 years, probably 6, if they start TODAY. Some gamers would need to pay, yes, but its a Microsoft product now, so it would be available on Gamespass on PC and Xbox, and if they wanted they could have Sony write them a cheque to get it on PS+ too. It would reach far far more players than just the PC modding crowd. Currently everyone else is excluded. As for the modders, yes they've made it off the skin of their own backs, without any expectation of any money, (tho some have been hired by bethesda). But im pretty sure they would be quite happy if Microsoft threw $50mil their way to buy it. It would make almost anyone involved on it quite well off, and still be an absolute bargain for Microsoft, for what would have cost at least 200mil had they made it themselves.

And yes, it was ready to release now (until the patch), but the reality is the patch did release regardless and broke a lot of stuff, and as they said themselves having an official next gen version with the patch, whilst Bethesda have chosen not to really upgrade the base game at all, there's nothing stopping Fallout London upgrading all the textures, quantity of NPCs etc, ie actually utilising the power available, and/or adding things that may have been cut during optimisation. If done well, it would be a win for gamers, a win for Microsoft and a win for the fallout London team, and the only way millions of gamers are likely to ever play the thing.

The alternative is Fallout London remains a niche gem, the a comparatively limited number of people will ever play, the creators get nothing from it apart from a nice portfolio piece, and everyone else needs to wait the best part of a decade to 'maybe' get another decent fallout. If you take away any emotionally driven gut reactions, it seems pretty obvious which is the best approach to me.
No it's not a Microsoft product now, it;s a free total conversion mod owned by the mod team, and Microsoft should make a new Fallout either forcing Bethesda to do it or give it to a different team, they have a load of devs under their umbrella and modders optimize Bethesda games more than Bethesda does,

Fallout London was made in 4 years by a much smaller team than BGS has also Bethesda has hired numerous members of the team and knows them very well except they have ghosted the FL team in recent times, and it;s not a niche gem it's quite well known and popular at the minute, i completely disagree with you, you want the mod on consoles BUT Microsoft won't allow the Script extender, so you can't have it, blame Microsoft, not PC gamers making them wait and charge money for free items instead of making Bethesda do their job properly.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
HIRE LARIAN TO DO AN ISOMETRIC FALLOUT
I'd rather wait for New Blood's take on classic Fallout.

Hopefully we get some more info soon, they've been dropping snippets for quite a while now.

HIRE LARIAN TO DO AN ISOMETRIC FALLOUT

Larian have zero interesting in sharing their next profits with a big IP. They just gave the dnd owners so much cash with bg3, which was fine because they weren't a "prestige" studio and the IP helped massively.

Now Larian can make their own IP and EVERYONE will still buy it. Meaning they get to keep all the money, no royalties/licence to pay.

As a huge fan of the original Fallout games (1 & 2), I feel they're relics of their time and should be respected as such. Any remake would only do more harm than good.

That said, I'd love to see a new entry with a return to form to the originals, 3D isometric, but that will never happen (the market is now used to the themepark FPS formula with mediocre atmosphere and writing) and the Wasteland series may have filled the post-apocalypse isometric RPG niche (amongst some other indie titles).

Last edited:

poodaddy

As a huge fan of the original Fallout games (1 & 2), I feel they're relics of their time and should be respected as such. Any remake would only do more harm than good.

That said, I'd love to see a new entry with a return to form to the originals, 3D isometric, but that will never happen (the market is now used to the themepark FPS formula with mediocre atmosphere and writing) and the Wasteland series may have filled the post-apocalypse isometric RPG niche (amongst some other indie titles).
I disagree with this so much. I love Fallout 1 and 2 as well, first played them so long ago. I still love the off beat writing, the strangely funny descriptions and narrations and floating text, and I love so much about the vibe and atmosphere of these games.

That being said....they have aged terribly. There are so many things that can be improved, hell even with just the speed and utility of the U.I. It's clunky and antiquated in a way that could be fixed up without removing anything from the experience. I'm not even saying to make them first person, they're fine from a design standpoint, in fact they're outstanding, but they deserve modern remakes that remove a lot of friction from the experience.

Roufianos

Remake Fallout 3 and give Fallout 5 to another team - if Matt Booty and the idiots at MS had any brains, they'd have done this the minute they acquired Bethesda.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They should release Fallout 5 into early access, even if there is almost nothing to show. Put as much polish as you can on the first like 20 minutes of the game (reuse shit from Starfield if you must) and put it out the door on Steam and Xbox for $60 a pop. Then it can cook for years while you capitalize now on the Fallout craze.

Top Bottom