• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Xbox Has Always Chased Power. That's Not Enough Anymore. (Exclusive interview with the Xbox team)

Orky

Banned
Lots of shovelware and old games, you get what you pay for. Quality games have a price, just like any other consumer products.

can we please stop with this crap that there are only old and mediocre games on gamepass?
For August alone the average metacritic score for the day one gamepass releases is 84. The quality of gamepass games being low seems to be a bit overblown and august shows that the service is capable of bringing high quality games to the service day and date.

Spiritfarer: 86
Battletoads: 72
Tell me Why: 78
Wasteland 3: 86
Flight Sim: 92
Crusader King III: 91

these are all DAY ONE releases In a single month.
Also, since you can cancel the service every month, they need to provide great games, otherwise people would just easily cancel the service, but people don’t. In fact the numbers are growing rapidly.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Apologies if I came across as a little aggressive, the thing is, I've had this discussion a thousand times before. :)

There is evidence that the new games wont be multiplatform, also, if you read the original quote of 'exclusivity not being the way' (in context) then it's very clear that Phil is talking about games not being exclusive to Series X at the expense of Xbox One owners. It's a relatively old quote and yet no one thought that games owned by Xbox would come to PS5 as a result. Well, until Zenimax that is.

There's nearly 20 pages of this very discussion at the link below.

Good luck. :)

LOL, I hear you man. It's all good. Just twisting your tail a little. ;) As I said, I don't expect them to be putting games out everywhere. I think they will go the exclusivity route. Especially until they get past Google and Amazon!

tryDEATH

Uyuni-Salt-Flat-Bolivia.jpg

Salt as far as you can see. The reaching and spinning is well and truly back on the menu.

recursive

can we please stop with this crap that there are only old and mediocre games on gamepass?
For August alone the average metacritic score for the day one gamepass releases is 84. The quality of gamepass games being low seems to be a bit overblown and august shows that the service is capable of bringing high quality games to the service day and date.

Also, since you can cancel the service every month, they need to provide great games, otherwise people would just easily cancel the service, but people don’t. In fact the numbers are growing rapidly.
The poster did not say there were only old shovelware games, only that there were lots of them. Which is true. A list of new releases that will be bargain bin in 3 months doesn't change that.

It blows my mind that anyone can look at that and be like, "nah, 500 dollars console and 70 dollar physical games please. I really need a remake of a ps3 game and sort of a sequel to Spiderman!" There is a whole ocean of games out there that game pass lets you try risk free.

Some people want a next generation experience with no compromises though. Also, I’m not fully familiar with PSNow, but isn’t it comparable to Gamepass?

Some people want a next generation experience with no compromises though. Also, I’m not fully familiar with PSNow, but isn’t it comparable to Gamepass?

Not really comparable, no.

Game Pass includes all first party games, day in date, and they stay there forever - so AAA exclusives like Halo, Forza, The Elder Scrolls etc all get added on release.

That's the biggest advantage of GP, but there are others - like EA Play inclusion, downloading all games (PSNow still streams some games, though some are downloadable) and of course PC Game Pass being included.

brap

Banned
It blows my mind that anyone can look at that and be like, "nah, 500 dollars console and 70 dollar physical games please. I really need a remake of a ps3 game and sort of a sequel to Spiderman!" There is a whole ocean of games out there that game pass lets you try risk free.
Some of us actually have jobs and aren't broke asses or children that need to rent everything.

Amazing people still think Bethesda games post 2020 are still coming to Playstation. SMH, such delusion.
Amazing people still think Bethesda games post Skyrim are still worth playing and not dumbed down garbage for people with 3 brain cells.

Flight Sim is hardly a game and that list seems to be a PC list not console list, take the PC games out of it and the average rating drops substantially.

acm2000

what a nonsense article, ps2 was all about "emotion engine" power, ps3 was all about "cell power", ps4 was considerably more powerful than xbox till the pro consoles.

Reindeer

"The Xbox One’s graphical power was off the charts when it launched in 2013."

A bit of a ridiculous statement from Spencer there. There's nothing off the charts about a product that comes in with 40% less power than your competitor's one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Xbox One’s graphical power was off the charts when it launched in 2013."

A bit of a ridiculous statement from Spencer there. There's nothing off the charts about a product that comes in with 40% less power than your competitor's one.
What I thought as well.. :D

Xbone was such a shit box.

supernova8

Banned
Shame Angry Joe doesn't have his own magazine. At least he would ask the hard questions. Wired (and Edge etc.) is just an extension of marketing for games companies. No real journalism whatsoever. Applies to all parties (not just Xbox of course).

I only got half way through before thinking "Wow I could just look at the Xbox website itself and get roughly the same information".. what is the point of this article?

Alan Wake

I have to agree with this as well and I'm NOT ripping on Microsoft here, but here's my points:

First, the Series S isn't cheap enough to make a mark on the true low end/budget segment of the market. $300 is still a lot of money for people, especially given how the year has gone. I think the market for the Series S is more for people like myself maybe, who can afford it and just want a box to run the new Halo or whatever, without caring about it being 4k or not. And that's a more limited segment of the market.

The Switch is still $399 in my country and it's selling out everywhere. So I think $299 for a next-gen console is a great offer that could attract many holiday shoppers this year when PS5 and Xbox Series X are either sold out or too expensive and the Switch is most probably sold out.

CAB_Life

Every time I see gamepass being sold as the answer I swear a baby dolphin dies. Why does every single gamepass crusader forget that PSNow is a thing and has more than twice as many games? Or that the PS5 will have more than a dozen triple A games for free for PSPlus users.

PSNow streams most of those games in 720p and still has horrid compression artifacts. I couldn’t even get a smooth picture with a wired 1GB fibre connection on Trinity SOZO ffs. And there’s almost nothing recent on the service, which you can’t say about Gamepass.

Dodkrake

Banned
PSNow streams most of those games in 720p and still has horrid compression artifacts. I couldn’t even get a smooth picture with a wired 1GB fibre connection on Trinity SOZO ffs. And there’s almost nothing recent on the service, which you can’t say about Gamepass.

Does PSNow have or not more games than Gamepass?
Is or is not Sony offering hundreds of dollars / pounds / euros in FREE triple A games to PS5 buyers?

These are my statements. Please feel free to refute them.

CAB_Life

Does PSNow have or not more games than Gamepass?
Is or is not Sony offering hundreds of dollars / pounds / euros in FREE triple A games to PS5 buyers?

These are my statements. Please feel free to refute them.

It doesn’t matter if you have twice as many games if the library is questionable and they look and play (stream) like shit. Why does this need to be explained? Have you used both services? Because one is objectively superior aside from sheer title volume. Gamepass works better and has a stronger library, regardless of its size.

FunkMiller

This is why Xbox Series S will sell many times the amount of its powerful brother. Especially at $15/month for Series S All Access. Think about that, $15 gets you the new hardware with Velocity Architecture(1440p/120fps) and 200 games right off the bat. Best value in gaming today.

Banned already! Mods taking no prisoners with this bullshit :messenger_beaming:

Mind you, I guess we should take it as a compliment that Microsoft think we're worthy enough of having their employees create accounts to try and sell their shit at us :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Shame Angry Joe doesn't have his own magazine. At least he would ask the hard questions. Wired (and Edge etc.) is just an extension of marketing for games companies. No real journalism whatsoever. Applies to all parties (not just Xbox of course).

I only got half way through before thinking "Wow I could just look at the Xbox website itself and get roughly the same information".. what is the point of this article?

To be honest I find some of the fan sites and YouTube channels as bad. Not one of them still haven’t asked why free to play games require Gold.

Cracks me up when some places have slogans like “by the fans, for the fans”. Yeah alright.

*As long as you play on console and literally just started gaming and so haven't already played the best games of the last 5 years.

Its not really best value/useful if you have even slightly kept up with the gaming zeitgeist, if I had gamepass ultimate for the last 5 years I'd have spent £750 quid on it and I'm not sure the really great games would even add up to that much value.

I just went through the list right now (The console list, to be more fair towards Game Pass even though I'm on PC) and out of the 243 games I bought 30 of them, about 10 were full price (£40) and the rest were priced between £10 and £20 (Say average £15). I have pretty eclectic taste so that includes many genres I didn't just choose FPSes only or anything like that.

(10 x 40) + (30 x 15) = £850

So I've paid £100 extra and I get to:

1) Keep all the games forever
2) Buy them exactly when I actually want them rather than when they come to Game Pass
3) Not have to use the awful Windows Store to buy/install/play games. Its literally the worst experience I've ever had with a digital service. You can't even edit the files and folders of the game you own if there are technical problems, what a joke!

Sorry if this comes off as attack on you mate, not at all. I don't think its always bad value, I just think the value is extremely misleading unless you want to play EVERY game and I'm pretty sure that not who this is aimed at primarily. As your bit about XSS demonstrates.

I guess its good if you don't really finish many of the games you start but I'd say that a bad character trait and shouldn't be encouraged generally. Having good judgement and actually finishing "tasks" is VERY important in life imo.

This is the point I always try to point out.

That it is not as valuable as some repeately say

You pay for rental service AND games that wont be on the service.

It is good deal only for those that get all the games they want on the pass..

But those people are probably them that play same cod/fifa every year so it would be cheaper to buy 1 game/year.

And average gamer buys like 5-7 games on whole gen? Like really low number anyway, so hundreds of games goes waste on them.

Xbox needs to aim for Power and exclusives, and start being more global than "way too American styled" to have a chance vs Playstation.

Gamepass is just too expensive for second system.

I'd rather buy used series x + few exclusives xbox gets than pay 16€*12 / year for gamepass, or 35€ *24 for xsex+pass.

It's like people think it is good deal just because there are many games, but in reality nobody plays hundreds of games so services value is if there are those few games you play or not

I don’t get their messaging they didn’t chase power this gen, instead they chased bullshit with all that cable tv talk and the Kinect. This caused them to lose the biggest market and the one they made the most headway in (North America which features the biggest market in the USA and a top 8 market in Canada). The ps4 outsold the Xbox by 5 million here.

Now that they’re actually going back to power I think they can win back NA(to start the gen, not a mid gen upgrade like they did this current gen).

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
There is evidence though

Phil even said they're going to consider other consoles on a case by case basis
No. He said PS5 will still. Get Deathloop and Ghost Wire, specifically. They'll honor the contracts.

The rest are going to Xbox /PC platform. Anything else will be a case by case basis. Which is PR speak meaning, Nintendo, maybe. Sony has the games they'll get in the ones they bought. That's it. If you watched the interview when asked if the games would still be multiplatform, if they were he would have said so. Don't get your hopes up. 99% it'll end in disappointment.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No. He said PS5 will still. Get Deathloop and Ghost Wire, specifically. They'll honor the contracts.

The rest are going to Xbox /PC platform. Anything else will be a case by case basis. Which is PR speak meaning, Nintendo, maybe. Sony has the games they'll get in the ones they bought. That's it. If you watched the interview when asked if the games would still be multiplatform, if they were he would have said so. Don't get your hopes up. 99% it'll end in disappointment.
Yeah if you actually listen/read the interviews cited in this article, it is clear Phil is talking about the Xbox ecosystem and not the console. The Xbox ecosystem does not include PlayStation.

Gavon West

Yeah if you actually listen/read the interviews cited in this article, it is clear Phil is talking about the Xbox ecosystem and not the console. The Xbox ecosystem does not include PlayStation.
Literally. He was asked specifically if the games were going to other platforms. He said what Sony will get per the agreement for two games. Same as he's stated for other studios they've bought. They'll honor contracts until they are fulfilled. If the games were going multiplat when asked specifically, he would've just stated it then on national TV.

Nintendo "might" get a title or two. The rest is for the Xbox ecosystem. That's a wrap.

I know what he has said.

Regarding Deathloop and Ghost Wire, they will honour the contracts

Regarding any other Bethesda game, it'll be decided on a case by case basis.

Redlight

Literally. He was asked specifically if the games were going to other platforms. He said what Sony will get per the agreement for two games. Same as he's stated for other studios they've bought. They'll honor contracts until they are fulfilled. If the games were going multiplat when asked specifically, he would've just stated it then on national TV.

Nintendo "might" get a title or two. The rest is for the Xbox ecosystem. That's a wrap.
Bingo.

Minecraft keeps getting mentioned, but people forget that the multi-platform nature of Minecraft was announced alongside the acquisition. If they were doing the same with Zenimax they would've already announced it.

He literally gets asked what's going to happen with other consoles and says they will decide on a case by case basis

Gavon West

I know what he has said.

Regarding Deathloop and Ghost Wire, they will honour the contracts

Regarding any other Bethesda game, it'll be decided on a case by case basis.
That doesn't include PlayStation. Its literally means what they've been doing thusfar with games like Ori going to Nintendo. Every other game stays in the Xbox ecosystem. Minecraft isn't in the same league as its a platform unto itself.

Case by case isn't including PlayStation but, you'll see soon enough.

That doesn't include PlayStation. Its literally means what they've been doing thusfar with games like Ori going to Nintendo. Every other game stays in the Xbox ecosystem. Minecraft isn't in the same league as its a platform unto itself.

Case by case isn't including PlayStation but, you'll see soon enough.

That's complete conjecture on your part

Or should I say hope

Sure, why wouldn't he? No reason to fan the flames right now and back himself into a corner. It's called PR.

There was loads of ways he could have spun that PR without also opening up the possibility like he did with his comment

Paired with the fact that Zenimax is still retaining its publishing arm as a seperate entity to XGS, it's incredible how certain you lot are that none of them are coming to PlayStation

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

This is the point I always try to point out.

That it is not as valuable as some repeately say

You pay for rental service AND games that wont be on the service.

It is good deal only for those that get all the games they want on the pass..

But those people are probably them that play same cod/fifa every year so it would be cheaper to buy 1 game/year.

And average gamer buys like 5-7 games on whole gen? Like really low number anyway, so hundreds of games goes waste on them.

Xbox needs to aim for Power and exclusives, and start being more global than "way too American styled" to have a chance vs Playstation.

Gamepass is just too expensive for second system.

I'd rather buy used series x + few exclusives xbox gets than pay 16€*12 / year for gamepass, or 35€ *24 for xsex+pass.

It's like people think it is good deal just because there are many games, but in reality nobody plays hundreds of games so services value is if there are those few games you play or not

Wait., you're seriously downplaying the best deal in gaming hands-down.... I wonder how much Sony is paying you to write those essays.

Game Pass is 10 bucks a month. 120 a year. Game Pass Ultimate gets you acces to Game Pass PC and is adding Xbox Live Gold for 15 a month or 180 a year. I don't know anyone who owns a Xbox without Live Gold so substract that number 180-60=120. So less then the price of two new games a year – on PS5 you can't even buy 2 games for that figure – . If you can't find two triple A games in a year on Game Pass to get the price of your yearly subscription out of it, you should really consider getting another hobby as you sure as hell don't like games!

Last edited:

Gavon West

He literally gets asked what's going to happen with other consoles and says they will decide on a case by case basis
He says this right after saying he'll honor Sonys contracts for Deathloop and Ghost, when asked if the Bethesda titles will stay multiplatform.

Case by case doesn't mean what you think it means. But, you'll see. Its so bizarre that people think they spent $7.5 billion to still produce titles for a competitor. Like, basic business sense 101 doesn't even apply.

The IP catalogue and devs - all owned by Microsoft now. In fact, their already releasing Bethesda games on GP that stay. Dishonored II was going to leave GP recently and it was literally taken off the leaving soon list. Its a permenant staple in the Xbox ecosystem now.

But..... keep chanting the case by case mantra. We'll see how that works out for you.

He says this right after saying he'll honor Sonys contracts for Deathloop and Ghost, when asked if the Bethesda titles will stay multiplatform.

Case by case doesn't mean what you think it means. But, you'll see. Its so bizarre that people think they spent $7.5 billion to still produce titles for a competitor. Like, basic business sense 101 doesn't even apply.

The IP catalogue and devs - all owned by Microsoft now. In fact, their already releasing Bethesda games on GP that stay. Dishonored II was going to leave GP recently and it was literally taken off the leaving soon list. Its a permenant staple in the Xbox ecosystem now.

But..... keep chanting the case by case mantra. We'll see how that works out for you.

Jesus christ why don't you just listen?

They will look at each Bethesda game and decide whether they're going to remain Xbox/PC exclusive or also to to PlayStation/Switch

That's what case by case means

Not hard to understand

Last edited:

Gavon West

Jesus christ why don't you just listen?

They will look at each Bethesda game and decide whether they're going to remain Xbox/PC exclusive or also to to PlayStation/Switch

That's what case by case means

Not hard to understand
Okay... We'll see. When you find out you're being delusional, I'll be the first to say, I told you so.

Okay. We'll see. Can't be conjecture when Phil said it himself. Not my problem you have a problem with reading comprehension.

Like I said though, you'll see..

That only the Switch is in the equation and not PlayStation was not what Phil said, or even remotely hinted at it for that matter, and as such is conjecture on your part

Keep up

Last edited:
Top Bottom