• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher Game in the works

Arioco

I can't even imagine how crazy The Witcher can look powered by UE5.

The Witcher 3 might be a little outdated by today standards but I think it's still a beautiful game (and my favorite last gen, I just loved it so much). I'm eagerly waiting for the next gen patch.

Imagine what Novigrade would look like using the same technology as The Matrix Awakens. Literally thousands of NPC, no LOD changes, extreme detail everywhere no matter how close we get to the objects and a real time global illumination to die for. Oh yeah! 🤤

Back to what they are good at. Not a bad idea. Hopefully UE5 streamlines the development process for them and allows the story writers to focus on delivering an engaging cast of characters and quest-lines. Probably 4-5 years out though so hard to get excited now.

Very surprised about the move to UE5. I'm imagining this is YEARS away and more an announcement for shareholders.

Now the question is whether Geralt will return...

Skifi28

The lesson learned here was "make sure you have a solid engine in place at the start of development."
The engine itself might be solid, but you have a ton of people that have been working for years with a different engine and tools. We have no idea how well the transition will go. We can only hope.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Ok where’s the next gen version of Witcher 3 you announced 2 years ago

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo, at the moment Sony pulled Cyberpunkt from their storefront CDPR made the internal decision to move over all hands to WIV at the latest. So they maybe already working on it for a year at near full capacity.

WitchHunter

Oh fuck. Wondering how much time will it take to create a believable and unique looking atmosphere under the UE5 engine... At least CP2077 stays the same for now. Well, graphics wise, cp77 just zeroes every competitor.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Doubt it. This looks like School of the Lynx. So expect Lambert and Kiera Metz to feature prominently.
Hmmmm. Good either way. I'll be happy!....but seems odd that Ciri wouldn't be the focus unless I missed a key plot point.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't love The Witcher as much as most people. I wasn't a big fan of the story or most of the side quests. Same for CP2077.

That said I'll still get this game I just hope they have a story that really appeals to me this time since I mostly play WRPGs for a compelling story and great exploration.

samoilaaa

i understand that people are excited ,i want to be too because witcher 3 is my favorite game last gen but we need to stand firm and not make the same mistake we did with cyberpunk , since the 2012 teaser dropped it was one of the most anticipated games and look how it turned out

cdpr needs to know that we will not fall for it again , they will either make a good game or people wont buy their game

the bugs were not that important bur look at how many features are missing from the game that cant be added with dlc or expansions , those features are gone forever , like a branching story with real choice and consequence

TastyPastry

they really need to hire some good gameplay designers for the next witcher. think about it cyberpunk was already mostly carried by the game's story and style. their ubisoft inspired open world design feels already outdated especially now with games like botw and elden ring and critics and players will have completly different expectations once this comes out in 5 years or so

That's highly optimistic when looking at Cyberpunk which basically took ten years to make.

Add in enough hurdles from switching to UE5 and even 2027 might be optimistic.

And now they are trying to avoid the same mistake of announcing game ten years before its release.

So yeah, I bet on 2024/25.

CDPR confirms that a new Witcher game is in development. It'll use UE5 instead of REDengine This new Witcher game will kick off "a new saga" for the franchise .

As for their switch to UE5, it appears that CD Projekt RED is working very closely with Epic

Update on Unreal Engine 5, game wont be an EGS exclusive:

Love the Witcher series, with The Witcher 3 being my favorite game of all times. Still not pre-ordering a game from CD Projekt RED again... ever!

Deerock71

Thats good news. They cant fuck up UE5.
Fail Hold On GIF by Robert E Blackmon

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope you're wrong.

Create your own custom character that's not voiced over would be the best option (think Fallout: New Vegas). Better role-playing experience.

I swear they said any Witcher 4 would have Ciri as the playable character......cba to find the article.

Your idea is a lot better. Having a custom character and choosing which Witcher school you start in would be amazing! Guess we'll find out when the game is released.......in 2030.

Buki1

Polish translator/gamedev who worked on Witcher games before confirms that he knew that the game is in the works for few years now. Supposedly it's because they don't want to make the same mistake again like they did with Cyberpunk when it was teased way too early. He hopes that the game might be released even in 2024. Source in polish.

They have more people on the expansions than W4 right now

2024/25 is a pipe dream

Possible release date + info about 3/4 years of development that he know of. However, it's in Polish.

He's a translator/gamedev, worked on the first Witcher at some point. Has a lot of ties to CDPR.

Again, I think there's no way this game is 2027 or beyond.

Last edited:

Possible release date + info about 3/4 years of development that he know of. However, it's in Polish.

He's a translator/gamedev, worked on the first Witcher at some point. Has a lot of ties to CDPR.

Again, I think there's no way this game is 2027 or beyond.

Cyberpunk had 3/4 years of "development" before W3 was out too. Still took another 5 years after the expansions released.

Again. Pipe dream.

Cyberpunk had 3/4 years of "development" before W3 was out too. Still took another 5 years after the expansions released.

Again. Pipe dream.

So 2 teams, presumably 2 AAA games in production, Witcher 4 in 2027/2028, and the next Cyberpunk or whatever even later? With nothing except CP expansion(s) in between? Can't say that's sustainable.

Top Bottom