• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

ManaByte

Gold Member
Remember, if it is a sexy, thick and beefy man who looks like an Adonis and they are absolutely badass and self-sufficient that is a Male Power Fantasy. Clearly no women want to see hot dudes.
hFQOAdW.png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Remember, if it is a sexy, thick and beefy man who looks like an Adonis and they are absolutely badass and self-sufficient that is a Male Power Fantasy. Clearly no women want to see hot dudes.

If it is a sexy, lithe and beautiful woman that is self-sufficient, bad-ass, and takes no shit while looking good doing it? That is designed for the male gaze. Clearly no women want to be empowered to be both beautiful and badass.
Also, remember there are no lesbians in the world and if there are they are a different kind of being that does not get excited or likes sexy bodies like everyone else does. It is only the cis male that does get horny.

Shut0wen

Loved the series, always thought the reboot prequel was going in the right direction but cant believe there going back to corny dinosaurs and more likely giant insects, they should of atleast went back to redesigned demons or some shit

ManaByte

Gold Member
Loved the series, always thought the reboot prequel was going in the right direction but cant believe there going back to corny dinosaurs and more likely giant insects, they should of atleast went back to redesigned demons or some shit

The story in Shadow was stupid, but the levels and gameplay was amazing. I need to play it again.

Shut0wen

The story in Shadow was stupid, but the levels and gameplay was amazing. I need to play it again.
I hated shadows story but yeah the emphasis on puzzles is what made the game great, actually thought the series would of went in that direction

Umbral

To be fair the actual Lara in TR2013 never looked like this so maybe there's hope
PV8189L.jpg

I also came across this while reading about how excited fans are about the new Lara design (and I've been on Tomb Raider Forums.... they're not) and I saw this comment on PCgamer

While I don't disagree that Classic Lara was thrill-seeker I also don't agree Survivor Lara was Heroic.
She was a selfish wrecking ball and everything is about her and she killed many people in the process to reach her own selfish goals
That's not a hero
These people don’t know what a hero is anymore. The concept has been buried under a lake of “heroes” for the last decade. Narcissistic psychopaths are their heroes now.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
OCT170081.jpg

Probably my favorite realistic depiction of Lara Croft by an artist. I doubt any of us would have a problem with this.
A lot of the alternative artwork show in this thread compared to the "Official" artwork is preferable. Just shows how easy it is to make a beautiful and sexy badass character without turning her into a man or emphasizing masculine features.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

A lot of the alternative artwork show in this thread compared to the "Official" artwork is preferable. Just shows how easy it is to make a beautiful and sexy badass character without turning her into a man or emphasizing masculine features.
Lara was always supposed to have a softer rounder face with full lips. Not defined cheekbones and angular jawline. The artists working for Image/Top Cow Comics understood this. The team working at Crystal Dynamics understand this as well, but are choosing to defy it, for whatever reasons we can only guess about.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably my favorite realistic depiction of Lara Croft by an artist. I doubt any of us would have a problem with this.
Looks perfect. I think we are stuck with Karen Crawford though with Crystal Dynamics.

What CD has is manface, short stubby legs and likely a shallow personality bereft of the confidence sass and class that Core Design Lara Croft is known for. Without the personality CD only has a empty husk of a character.

OG Lara needs her longer athletic legs(ideal for climbing), her personality and her drive for wealth and adventure. She was always a anti-hero who did things for herself by herself. And she didn't collect artifacts to protect the world. She collected them because she wanted them for her collection. And she does things for "sport".

She is a Catwoman archetype and primarily raids Tombs and profits off of what she finds.

Much like a big game hunter would go out and hunt for the "thrill" of it regardless if a species was endangered or not.

The Survivor Reboot is a boring restructure of the character when all is said and done.

Mister Wolf

Looks perfect. I think we are stuck with Karen Crawford though with Crystal Dynamics.

What CD has is manface, short stubby legs and likely a shallow personality bereft of the confidence sass and class that Core Design Lara Croft is known for. Without the personality CD only has a empty husk of a character.

OG Lara needs her longer athletic legs(ideal for climbing), her personality and her drive for wealth and adventure. She was always a anti-hero who did things for herself by herself. And she didn't collect artifacts to protect the world. She collected them because she wanted them for her collection. And she does things for "sport".

She is a Catwoman archetype and primarily raids Tombs and profits off of what she finds.

Much like a big game hunter would go out and hunt for the "thrill" of it regardless if a species was endangered or not.

The Survivor Reboot is a boring restructure of the character when all is said and done.

I miss the good ol days

54782b1ce18135fd01ecfc89c6988293.jpg

Madflavor

I liked her look from Rise, honestly didn't think she needed a redesign after that, if they really have to I hope they at least keep her face

lara croft GIF by Tomb Raider

I think they made her too short in those games. Her legs are skinny, short and stubby. The face was nice, but they already got it perfect in the previous game. Her original design from TR13 actually looked like next gen Lara and similar to her previous iterations.

XYQYMb8.jpeg

lara_croft_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_face_104804_384_by_pipoquinhadesu_daxrs7m-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

It only shows that they work hard to sculpture female faces to be more like males on purpose.
Thats why I'm all for using AI to do their jobs. Let these clowns out of business.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It only shows that they work hard to sculpture female faces to be more like males on purpose.
Thats why I'm all for using AI to do their jobs. Let these clowns out of business.
If you want an insanely good game (for its budget price) that uses AI, check out Stasis: Bone Totem. SO good.

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
Tomb raider 2 said staring Lara croft and tomb raider 3 the adventures of Lara croft. Its just continuing the tradition really. TR 1 just said tomb raider.

Madflavor

What am I supposed to see?
is this model for the remakes of the old games?

No, the next big Tomb Raider game is going to unify all versions of Lara Croft, using the Survivor Trilogy as her definite origin. Make of that what you will, I don't know, but that's what they said.

The Lara they revealed a few days ago is officially Lara's look moving forward. It's supposed to take place after all of her adventures from the previous games.

Last edited:

Filben

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
This is an interesting detail. That tag line was used by Eidos on the official Tomb Raider 1 cover and in general game advertising. Some developers from Core found it weird since no one knew her at the time because it was the first game. Eidos however was so confident and because they also wanted it to advertise it as a cinematic game (intricate animations, third person, sophisticated cutscenes) – and because cinema posters used this tag line frequently – they went through with it.

As another user said, they referred to Lara Croft for the next to games as well in some way (starring; adventures of). That name was supposed to pull the game and establish the character associated with the game's name (and it worked quite well).

Using that tag line now could mean the emphasis on the franchise's roots and origins and may, or rather hopefully, means the next TR is more like classic Tomb Raider (1).

Body looks fine, but as others have pointed out, the face is definitely too masculine. Which we all know at this point is intentional. I still don't know how CD was able to force another dev, Aspyre, to put that trigger warning on the remakes.

Also, what's up with that new logo?
iu

It's so boring. Looks like something that you would find on the back of a DVD box stating the visual or audio specs.

My favorite will always be:
iu

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Body looks fine, but as others have pointed out, the face is definitely too masculine. Which we all know at this point is intentional. I still don't know how CD was able to force another dev, Aspyre, to put that trigger warning on the remakes.

Also, what's up with that new logo?
iu

It's so boring. Looks like something that you would find on the back of a DVD box stating the visual or audio specs.

My favorite will always be:
iu
Indeed, now I ain't no expert but something like this but on professional level would work too
MBI5Lyb.png

Last edited:

TGO

Those responsible for the development of the new Tomb Raider report that it does not correspond to the design that Lara Croft will have in the video game. This is what those responsible have clarified to us in statements issued to Vandal (Spanish medium), where they assure that the wallpaper actually shows a "unified vision" of Lara Croft.

In addition to clarifying that the new image of Tomb Raider does not necessarily represent the appearance that Lara will have in the new game, those responsible for the project have warned that they are not yet prepared to share details of the next installment of this beloved franchise. The only thing we know at an official level is that it is being developed in Unreal Engine 5 and that it seeks to remain faithful to the origins of the saga by taking us to "an environment that rewards creative exploration, challenging puzzles and a wide variety of enemies to which face.

TGO

I have no faith.
Same, I want to....but I don't see an outcome that doesn't end with embracer shutting down CD and giving the IP to someone else.
And they must know this
Sounds like they're already on glass floor's with Embracer as it is.
Let's hope they dig deep and deliver something good

Reactions: Isa

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Same, I want to....but I don't see an outcome that doesn't end with embracer shutting down CD and giving the IP to someone else.
And they must know this
Sounds like they're already on glass floor's with Embracer as it is.
Let's hope they dig deep and deliver something good

Given how they treated the legacy titles, I am not too sure CD can do anything well. I enjoyed TR 2013 for what it was, but its sequels were very generic and had stories even more forgettable than the PS1 titles. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Madflavor

202421919403313_1.jpg.webp

Those responsible for the development of the new Tomb Raider report that it does not correspond to the design that Lara Croft will have in the video game. This is what those responsible have clarified to us in statements issued to Vandal (Spanish medium), where they assure that the wallpaper actually shows a "unified vision" of Lara Croft.

In addition to clarifying that the new image of Tomb Raider does not necessarily represent the appearance that Lara will have in the new game, those responsible for the project have warned that they are not yet prepared to share details of the next installment of this beloved franchise. The only thing we know at an official level is that it is being developed in Unreal Engine 5 and that it seeks to remain faithful to the origins of the saga by taking us to "an environment that rewards creative exploration, challenging puzzles and a wide variety of enemies to which face"

To be clear, there's no way of us really knowing what this means. It could mean the face might be different, it could mean she won't actually wear her iconic outfit, we simply don't know. They may legit view this digital art of her as Unified Lara, but then decide to base her face off the voice actress playing her. Things change, plans change. The most important take away from this article imo is that last part. It seems like their intentions are to take the series back to it's roots.

tommycronin

Banned
Its a lose lose situation. I think its fucked up that people want a female character to go back to using certain clothes from 20+ years ago. I think we have more pressing priorities than that.

Madflavor

Its a lose lose situation. I think its fucked up that people want a female character to go back to using certain clothes from 20+ years ago. I think we have more pressing priorities than that.

Nothing fucked up about it. Outside of Gaf's "THAT'S A MAN BABY!" response to her face, the internet's reaction to her returning to her OG outfit was very positive.

If you dressed up as Survivor Lara and walked around Times Square, nobody would know who you are. But you throw on her OG outfit, tons of people across the entire globe would either know who you are, or at least recognize it. Her OG design is that iconic. So if people want her to return to that style, I don't see a problem with this.

Top Bottom