• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio responsible for The Witcher remake says it will remove some 'bad' parts of the game

Braag

I've played through the first game 3 times throughout the years and yeah, it's rough if one was to play it today.
The swamps alone would make majority of GAF give up on it.

Nikodemos

I've played through the first game 3 times throughout the years and yeah, it's rough if one was to play it today.
If you use the combat rebalance pack, it reduces the number of enemies you have to fight.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You could say the same of RE2 though. Yet RE2 Remake is a masterpiece.

If you want the jank/outdated elements, then play the original. If you want a modernization, the remake sounds intriguing.

I wouldn't, though - the original RE2 is a masterpiece as well and isn't a janky game. The Witcher 1 feels way jankier than the original RE2 even being made 9 years later.

Bear in mind one was made by nobodies on a shoestring budget, and the other was the sequel to the biggest Playstation game ever (at the time). Besides, REmake 2's an entirely different experience to the original. This will just be bringing the content of TW1 into a TW3 framework and that's all well and good, but I feel like it might lose some of what made that game charming. The story alone isn't remotely as interesting as what came later.

Unless you have been gaming since X360 era I don’t see how W1 can be considered to “have aged poorly”. Morrowind as well? Thief?
I've been gaming since the NES. I have no problem with old games, in fact I regularly go back to play some classics.

For me, W1 just wasn't fun. It didn't click for me. I realized a few fights in that it wasn't for me. W2 and W3 however, are some of my favorite action RPG's of all time.

Both Morrowind and Thief are easy to get into and fundamentally fun to play. W1 requires you to deal with so much jank that I gave up.

Then again, I played it after W2 came out, so I have no nostalgia for it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're a completely different studio now. They should burn the entire 1st game to the ground and just start over and do it better, from gameplay to story.

If you want to play the original, play it.

hinch7

I'd like to believe he's talking about fixing the jank from the first game. But I guess this is more of a ESG/modern take garbage.

Saber

Gold Member
Then you guys can kiss this game goodbye.
Every single thing you think can be a little problematic, they will remove. And Witcher series in general has alot of them.
That quest of the witch...wonder how much they will change that. This new generation of people sucks...

xrnzaaas

Depends what they mean by bad and what they remove, I don't remember many bad parts of the Witcher 3
Witcher 3 came out in 2015, it wasn't the same world we live in now and CDPR was a very different company back then.

For starters you can fully expect censorship thinking along the lines - female sexy = bad, male sexy = good, not acceptable by "modern standards" = problematic. I don't think modernizing the gameplay or the quests will be at the top of their priorities.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
When I first saw the thread title I just assumed it was going to be about the sex cards or specific language used or something, state of the world being what it is.

I'm going to be delusional and pretend he's just referring to the extremely janky and outdated portions of the game

MsJezlm.gif

jonnyp

I tried the original game for 15 mins and had to quit. Awful controls and combat. Love W3 though

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Enhanced version was the first game I played on my first gaming PC. I have a burned CD with the Director’s Cut patch on it. Anyone remember the music CD you got with the game? The nude cards were the best part of the game. Sleep with a lady, get a card of her portrait. Too bad women don’t do that in real life. :)

Last edited:
Yeah trashiest combay system of a AAA, to me is simply impossible to play.
It was fine if you contextualize the tech the game was built on and the real lack of pedigree of the team at the time. The best part of the game at the time was easily the story/music/art direction/ambiance. But the fighting works ok once you understand that it's not really an action-rpg as most people understand it. I ended up liking it, but it was definitely some growing pains. You could spec yourself into being unable to even get out of the first act if you weren't paying attention. It's a great game that takes a few hours to grasp, but once you do, it's fantastic.

I was looking forward to the remake they originally announced....12+ years ago which fell through, so I'm hopeful that this is kind of like Witcher 1 with Witcher 3's skin. I'd be happy with that.

Last edited:

killatopak

I admit I didn't finish Witcher 1 due to the jankyness of the game. There's so many things that confused me. I think I stopped playing once I reached the swamp area. A remake would make me go back and give this a try.

Loope

Yeah, theswamps get to a point it's just a major chore to go through it.

Denton

Yeah trashiest combay system of a AAA, to me is simply impossible to play.
It was mechanically simple (because it was originally top down RPG and not action game), but it had some of the most awesome and spectacular combat animations ever put into a videogame.

Those finishers in particular are something I miss in the sequels...

Last edited:
I haven't played this game in so long, I remember getting pissed at that old woman, lol.
Yeah, she tries to c-block you from Shani. And/or complains about you having a good time with your bros. if memory serves me right. The perfect mini-boss.

Top Bottom