• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 Aims to Go Beyond Current RPGs, Says CDPR; It’ll Be a Good Entry Point for New Fans

tusharngf

new-witcher-4-witcher-polaris-728x410.jpg
As if on cue, the Italian website Lega Nerd has published an interview with The Witcher 4 Game Director Sebastian Kalemba. Kalemba attended Milan Games Week 2023 between November 24 and 26, where the chat took place. The former Animation Director of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine and Cyberpunk 2077 shared a few interesting details (translated by Wccftech) on the overarching vision the studio has for this new project.

We want to continue on the same path we've taken, but we don't want to make the same game. I think that's a given. We've got some lore elements that must be kept. After all, it is still the same universe, and we can't go beyond certain limits.

Therefore, we must follow a very specific path and innovate on that. At the same time, it's clear that we have to try to appease a new public. The Witcher 4 won't be out for some years, and it'll be a long time since the previous one, so we cannot just target the audience already fond of the saga. We must also build a new community. On that note, I believe I can say it'll be an excellent entry point for many players, without forgetting the long-time fans who still wish to follow Geralt's adventures.

Our priority is always trying to break boundaries. We want to go beyond them. We want to try and do something new compared to what's currently in roleplaying games, especially since we work within that genre and target RPG fans. I can't say too much, as you can guess, but the idea is to build something that surpasses The Witcher 3, telling a more intense story and crafting a more intense gameplay as well.

Kalemba also said the plan is to have lots of player freedom, especially in preparing their character's build, but The Witcher 4 will still follow a specific narrative path. No surprise here, though, as that's to be expected given that this is an adaptation featuring predefined characters rather than an original IP with player-created characters.

The new chapter in the gaming saga was formally announced in March 2022. The Polish studio has elected to switch from the in-house RED Engine to Epic's Unreal Engine 5 for this game and all future titles. We recently spoke with Global Art Director Jakub Knapik, who assured fans that CD Projekt RED will still pursue cutting-edge technological advancements in the future.

Source: https://wccftech.com/the-witcher-4-...cdpr-itll-be-a-good-entry-point-for-new-fans/

Our priority is always trying to break boundaries. We want to go beyond them. We want to try and do something new compared to what's currently in roleplaying games, especially since we work within that genre and target RPG fans. I can't say too much, as you can guess, but the idea is to build something that surpasses The Witcher 3, telling a more intense story and crafting a more intense gameplay as well.

Good. Gameplay should at least be a top 2 priority. Hopefully they learned some lessons from Cyberpunk’s gameplay feel to incorporate into Witcher.

They've likely learnt their lesson from the cluster fuck that was the Cyberpunk launch. They've also had more than enough time to collect feedback from the Witcher 3 strengths and weaknesses which they will incorporate into the next Witcher game.

Witcher 3 still has to be one of the best games I've ever played - and I think I speak for the rest of the fans when I say we're thirsty for more but seems like we're still years away. It would be wise of CDPR to follow a similar suit to Rockstar and only announce the games release date once the game is in the final stages of post-production.

I don't have anything specific I want to see in the new game - Witcher 3 was perfect in my opinion. Although I'd welcome a multiplayer element into the game, I mean that in the game's open world elements similar to Death Stranding, and also just a fully fledged multiplayer mode - co-op would also be a game changer if they can pull it off correctly.

Last edited:
Maybe Geralt is in a mentor roll now.
Better to retire his character with Witcher 3 - introducing him in any sort of way into the new game may cause problems for the story as well as plot holes. i.e where was Geralt in the final boss battle and co.

CDPR are super talented anyways and I welcome a new original character. Villains like Gaunter O' Dimm and the Crows of Crookback Bog were all original characters which CDPR created and not part of the books, and they knocked it out the park. The author himself also remarked that the games have elevated the Witcher universe and lore to another level. Big praise but then again the books aren't as good as people make them out to be (I've read all of them.)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It should be a prequel with a young Geralt just starting out as a Witcher.
Nah. Based on the logo we will probably be playing as a Witcher from the Cat School which does not have a code of neutrality and also will train men, women and non-human races primarily Elves as Witchers. And unlike most Witcher schools they also will take any job that doesn't just kill monsters but humans as well. They functioned as spies, assassins and hired mercenaries.

Dazraell

Maybe Geralt is in a mentor roll now.
Well, I'm quite certain they will include Geralt in it. At this point it's basically a tradition as even Thronebreaker game had Geralt's cameo. But yeah, it's more likely that we will have a new witcher from a new school and they will try to aim for creating a new cast of characters and / or using book characters who haven't yet appeared in games. It's apparently already envisioned as the next trilogy, so it seems they already have the story mapped out

Dazraell

Nah. Based on the logo we will probably be playing as a Witcher from the Cat School which does not have a code of neutrality and also will train men, women and non-human races primarily Elves as Witchers. And unlike most Witcher schools they also will take any job that doesn't just kill monsters but humans as well. They functioned as spies, assassins and hired mercenaries.
Rumors says it'll be Lynx school

What would be interesting if you could choose a School as part of character creation unless it's a preset thing like Geralt was.
That would be interesting - but the games have always been narrative and lore heavy, elements which they'd want to restrict to only school I think, who knows though.

Meh.

They are barely keeping up with industry standard open world rpg features. Though I suppose they have made good progress with Phantom Liberty.

Will be surprised if they had more than a basic game with story, characters doing the heavy lifting. Let's see.

Dazraell

What would be interesting if you could choose a School as part of character creation unless it's a preset thing like Geralt was.
Personally speaking, I would prefer an MC being tied to predefined school as this would work more effectively narrative-wise, but I would love to see a proper character customisation. It appears this new witcher might be CDPR's original creation as whole rumored Lynx school also didn't existed in books. So they could technically do something similar to Cyberpunk's V where main character looks is created in the character creator

Last edited:
Modern Problems Funny Gif GIF by MOODMAN

The new Witcher will let Geralt die in the first 5 minutes, then, a black wheelchair bound lesbian girl with danger hair will take over and become the new Witcher. All quests are about diversity and about how we can't offend anyone, so, just to make sure that we don't offend or hurt anyone, combat has been completely removed from the game.

When encountering monsters, you will "defeat" them by acknowledging them and affirm their gender. Also, a diverse pronoun is given to any NPC in the game, if you fail to call an NPC by the correct pronoun you instantly game over.

As you can see, the perfect game for both new modern audience players, aaaaaand long time fans of the series, for sure! Also, the story is completely written by AI, which enhances the quality of the game in every single way.

Last edited:

Senua

Are they Mass Effect 2ing it?

The new Witcher will let Geralt die in the first 5 minutes, then, a black wheelchair bound lesbian girl with danger hair will take over and become the new Witcher. All quests are about diversity and about how we can't offend anyone, so, just to make sure that we don't offend or hurt anyone, combat has been completely removed from the game.

When encountering monsters, you will "defeat" them by acknowledging them and affirm their gender. Also, a diverse pronoun is given to any NPC in the game, if you fail to call an NPC by the correct pronoun you instantly game over.

As you can see, the perfect game for both new modern audience players, aaaaaand long time fans of the series, for sure! Also, the story is completely written by AI, which enhances the quality of the game in every single way.
Insomniac aren't developing this, brother

FeralEcho

Not excited until I see the first trailer and judge for myself regardless how much I love the Witcher series and CD Projekt Red,I've been burned too many times by woke changes in modern studios.It all depends on what "new fans" means in this instance....if it's "modern audiences" they may as well throw that shit in the fire cuz I couldn't care less about it.

FeralEcho

Are they Mass Effect 2ing it?

Insomniac aren't developing this, brother
To be fair,Insomniac wasn't like this either,Insomniac during the PS3 days gave no fucks about political agendas in games,they were just creating fun games,they weren't woke and neither was SSM or Naughty Dog but then they all went insane with political agendas in their games,with some worse than others.

AgatonSax

As a mini game, some characters can change their pronouns at will during the course of a conversation. You will naturally have to keep up relying on changes in body language with timed QTE actions to prevent a ‘Deadname’ meter building up.

Last edited:

Senua

To be fair,Insomniac wasn't like this either,Insomniac during the PS3 days gave no fucks about political agendas in games,they were just creating fun games,they weren't woke and neither was SSM or Naughty Dog but then they all went insane with political agendas in their games,with some worse than others.
True but this is a western phenomenon

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+
................ of the woke

Braag

Wasnt cyberpunk supposed to be breaking boundaries and deliver innovations, but it totally didnt. Not saying it's a bad game, but I don't get why these devs dont target primarily quality and if that quality needs innovation then so be it.
It kinda depends what you want to innovate on. Cyberpunk really didn't innovate as far as choice and consequences go, nor with RPG elements.
But it did have a very unique take on cut scenes where you seamlessly go in and out of a cutscenes and conversations, make choices and have the scene react to it all from first person with no cuts. It has been praised by a lot of devs outside of CDPR too.

Having said that, I do wish that CDPR just went radio silent until they have something concrete to show. It was their big mouth and promises that got them in trouble last time too.

Senua

And witcher isn't a western game?

The woke virus already breached europe and by the time this thing is out, it's gonna be even worse.

Hopefully cdproject is gonna continue to not give a fuck.
True but you know what i mean. Witcher games and Cyberspunk had lots of sexualisation and nudity, I don't see them going all bitch mode all of a sudden. Cyberpunk triggered REEE so hard

Good guy cdpr always pushing the boundaries. I hope they look at their peers namely Larian and just do a big AAA game with that much reactivity.

GymWolf

True but you know what i mean. Witcher games and Cyberspunk had lots of sexualisation and nudity, I don't see them going all bitch mode all of a sudden. Cyberpunk triggered REEE so hard
Let's hope cdproject is gonna have the same mindset in 5 years from now.

I thought europe was safe (i mean except for england) but now even italy has been infected.

Cyberpunk was going to be an everything game too...
CDPR deciding to make Cyberpunk is still the craziest decision any AAA studio has ever made. They had no prior experience developing a contemporary open world or an FPS. It was such a drastic change from the Witcher series, there is no way it wasn't going to be extremely flawed, especially at launch. There is a reason why the best studios in the industry(Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Bethesda) rarely change the genre of games they develop. It's much easier to perfect a similar game design from one game to the next.

3 years later, even with its flaws, Cyberpunk is in my top 5 games of all time. The world they built is incredible. I have no doubt the Witcher 4 will be great as well, as CDPR know that genre incredibly well

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Wasnt cyberpunk supposed to be breaking boundaries and deliver innovations, but it totally didnt. Not saying it's a bad game, but I don't get why these devs dont target primarily quality and if that quality needs innovation then so be it.

in an alternate universe, Cyberpunk 2077 has its initial release in 2023, in its 2.0 state with Phantom Liberty as part of the main game, and becomes a top GotY contender along with BG3, because the marketing simply stated it as a cyberpunk-themed story-driven open world action game with RPG elements, and it wasn't marketed as a revolution maker.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
New fans 🙄 how about keeping the ones you already have?

I’ve been a Witcher fan since the original game. Got my first PC to play the Enhanced Edition and I own a lot of the books. The games have changed with each entry.

IMO this modern audience talk can sabotage a franchise. New fans typically like the games because they jumped in during the W3. I doubt a lot of people were experts with the lore in the first place. I own all the books but I have barely read them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom