• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed director says "We're working on" the RPG's combat after a lukewarm reception during the Xbox Direct

https://www.gamesradar.com/avowed-d...-a-lukewarm-reception-during-the-xbox-direct/

Summary Via:

- They are aware of the vocal feedback around combat [impact]; it's something they already know about and are actively working on. The footage shown in the Developer_Direct was already weeks behind what was the current build (at the time of filming).

- Players will find themselves one foot between a grounded political story and a metaphysical story about gods and souls

- There will be things to find in the environment (Cohh's question was targeted around loot, environmental storytelling, notes etc.)

- Classless system but skill trees will allow for speccing into more traditional 'archetypes' if a player wants

- Companion skill trees are locked to a specific archetype, but will allow for variations

- Different enemy attacks can impact the player (knockdown, push, unblockable etc.)

- Not discussing endings or NG+ at this time

- Some character creation decisions will have mechanical and roleplay impacts

- Scope is similar to The Outer Worlds (question was about playtime, critical path vs. 100% completion)

- Weapon upgrade system (not mandatory, but recommended)

- Party camp will follow you through the game (no base building)

- Similar difficulty options in their previous games (story time, path of the damned)

- Grimoire magic still in the game, just wasn't shown at the direct (can also dual wield grimoire + wand for quick magic and powerful spells)

- Can't speak much about the stat system, but the general idea is they don't want a system that corners players into potential bad decisions. Want to present a fun set of options for the player.

- Can't speak much on bosses yet, but the idea around combat encounters is to present a variety of enemies that will challenge the player and not make them feel too complacent with sticking to one play style. Want to encourage swapping weapon sets.

- Playing PoE 1 and 2 are not required to understand what's going on

- No mini-games

- Day and Night system is there, but doesn't affect gameplay

- No mounts, some combat abilities affect movement (charge, etc.)

- Tease about some gear can affect things like movement

Last edited:
sounds good.

There is a big summery of points in tweet, that story bit sounds interesting. Hopefully game will have good writing.

Flabagast

Work on the dialogue system instead. After CP77 and BG3 what was shown wont pass at all.

Might try it after discount on PS5 if they address these issues, we’ll see

The wand animations/combat looked extremely underwhelming. Go back to hand casting like in the teaser reveal. Everything else looked ok.

Hudo

They should just look at Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and make the combat feel and play like that. DMoMM is still fucking unmatched.

Mediocre game incoming. If they needed people to know the combat looked like shit this late into development, then it’s another forgettable game in the making.
Agreed and I think Carrie might be in over her head here. It's not just the combat, but I'm not a fan of the dialogue system and the narrative seems meh which should be her strength.

The game to me just feels like an expansion of a much bigger game not a AAA game itself. Just like how The Outer Worlds felt.

spons

Gold Member
Edit: nah, don't want to add to the console war. Day's already good enough as it is.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Sounds awesome! Ps5 gamers are going to be in for a treat as well as gamepass subscribers!
high quality GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
Mediocre game incoming. If they needed people to know the combat looked like shit this late into development, then it’s another forgettable game in the making.

Literally the first line says they were already working on it before the feedback. Read?

Mozzarella

Its a first person swordplay type of combat, i dont think it will get that much better, the potential is limited and most people will dunk on it anyway because its not third person.
I'd say yes improve it, do the combat better...by all means.
But your primary focus should be on immersion, quest quality, writing, story, world design, rpg mechanics and characters.
Those things will make or break the game, improved combat will solidify it.

My hopes for this game are not that high, i expect it will be a 7/10 RPG, its good to tame expectations, especially after The Outer Worlds, but i'd take a good surprise.

Laptop1991

Couldn't they see that without the lukewarm feedback, i noticed it straight away, the game is off my shopping list as of right now after what they've shown recently.

Puscifer

For a game due out this year, and has been in development for a long time, it's really rough.
FWIW Sony Santa Monica said they didn't figure out the core combat loop of GoW 18 till about 6 months before launch, and that game has a crazy loop if you get deep into it so I'm sure they can pull this off

Metnut

Pumped to play the definitive version of this on PS5Pro once it’s suitably discounted.

30 hours sounds wonderful given my backlog.

Ozriel

M$FT
That’s even a worst excuse. Why show something bad if they know it looks bad and it won’t even be in the game.

What a weird comment.
Of course Combat will be in the game. They’re showing it while putting a disclaimer at the bottom that the game is in alpha stage…so improvements are expected. The combat showing was more to focus on the customizable combat layout, dual wielding, chaining moves and spells etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Last minute rework. This game is going to be a mess. The whole dang game looks lukewarm. Are they going to revamp the whole game?

The manufactured hysteria around this game is hilarious as fuck.
Game’s in alpha stage. Release is more than half a year away. ‘Last minute’?

Developers say they’re taking feedback on combat impact. You’re arguing they’re going to need to revamp the whole game as a result. Wut?

Top Bottom