• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio responsible for The Witcher remake says it will remove some 'bad' parts of the game

Draugoth

Gold Member
cd-projekt-red-anuncia-o-remake-do-primeiro-the-witcher-na-unreal-engine-5-080812.jpg

The Witcher remake was announced in October 2022, and is being developed by Rebel Wolves, a studio of CDPR veterans. Those veterans include CEO Jakub Rokosz, who worked on The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. Speaking to Edge, however, Rokosz expresses his disappointment that he never got to work on the first game in Geralt's trilogy;

"it always bothered me that I missed the first. I wanted a chance to give it the justice it deserves."
Rokosz is already taking aim at some of those aspects, stating that

"first and foremost, we need an honest, down-to-earth analysis of which parts are simply bad, outdated, and need to be remade." That will come at the same time as "highlighting the parts that are great, should be retained, or are direct key pillars that can't be discarded," but it's not hard to work out which aspects he's hinting will likely be removed.
Source

tusharngf

Please fix the high loading times between the doors. I finished witcher like that waiting for the room to load. It took around 1-2minutes to load inside a house.

They're not talking about removing jankiness lol.

Its over. Back up your original steam game before its memory holed.

Phantom Liberty may just be the last proper CDPR game. They moved to America and now it's over. RIP based Eustern Euro studio.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You know what? If this is because of the children, then the violence is just as bad as the sex. No sword fighting!

Geralt should only be able to talk his way out of trouble. Even the alchemy is problematic with giving children the idea that drinking concoctions is a good idea.

/s

Last edited:
He's not wrong.

I tried playing Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition years ago, but after about an hour or two I just couldn't get over how much of it has aged poorly.

If they can retain the spirit of what the first game was, but bring it up to the level of Witcher 2 and 3, then I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Reactions: RNG
You know what? If this is because of the children, then the violence is just as bad as the sex. No sword fighting!

Gerald should only be able to talk his way out of trouble.
lol, then with the "Words are violence" people on colleges these days nothing will get released!

Not really sure why some here are thinking CD project would remove specifically sexy stuff, and not just mean redoing some of the gameplay and plot pieces in some way? Afair Witcher was sorta a Baldurs Gate mod (or Neverwinter Nights?) or just used its engine, which was not really an advanced engine back then already. I have played neither Witcher nor Cyberpunk, and Cyberpunk was probably ugly in its last gen ports, but had at least Panam and female V, right? And they were not ugly!?

Anyone desperate to get Witcher in its current form can buy it for right now not even two bucks. Or just visit r34 sites if that's what actually matters.

Zathalus

Hopefully in reference to the combat and control scheme. Those were the weakest parts of the Witcher 1. Some of the voice acting can be improved as well.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I hope they maintain the same style of combat as the original. It wasn't particularly deep but it did feel unique and satisfying in its own way.

And they better not touch the music.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I hope they keep the fighting stances and timing based combat
I really missed the fighting stances and manual sword selection. I'm fine if the combat isn't timing based anymore, but I really want manual stances and sword choices.
The Witcher medallion was also at its best in the first game, hope that comes back.

It's still my favorite entry in the series, I hope they don't butcher it.

Cyberpunkd

Afair Witcher was sorta a Baldurs Gate mod (or Neverwinter Nights?) or just used its engine, which was not really an advanced engine back then already.
CDPR heavily rewrote and modified the Aurora engine because it was a PoS engine lol. That doesn’t make the new engine better, it’s just that it was hell.

Cyberpunkd

I tried playing Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition years ago, but after about an hour or two I just couldn't get over how much of it has aged poorly.
Unless you have been gaming since X360 era I don’t see how W1 can be considered to “have aged poorly”. Morrowind as well? Thief?

Vlodril

First game isn't exactly a masterpiece in storytelling, neither are the books for that matter so it doesn't bother me too much. As for gameplay improvements and changes, then any change or upgrade is welcome.

Personally i think the first game had the best story out of all three. Easily too. It had some fantastic quests too. But let's face it they are talking about the cards. Everyone knows it..

If you arent spending half the game in the swamp or travelling to and from the swamp is it even still the witcher?
They are probably turning it into netflix witcher for modern audiences.

Mortisfacio

If they're referring to some of the core gameplay and jank, then sure, please improve that. Witcher 1 is the only one I won't replay because of the jank. It just doesn't hold up.

If they're choosing to remove some of the content for "modern audiences" then I'll pass on this.

JayK47

Fucking knew it. It doesn't need to even be said. They are going to suck the soul out of the game and replace it with pretty graphics. I have low hope for the future of CD Projekt Red.

Cyberpunkd

Personally i think the first game had the best story out of all three. Easily too. It had some fantastic quests too. But let's face it they are talking about the cards. Everyone knows it..
This. The story was great and the end game revelation’s incredible. Plus it had Cthulhu moment.

Complistic

I'm going to be delusional and pretend he's just referring to the extremely janky and outdated portions of the game and not the thousands of things that would offend modern audiences.
Same. People freaking out over nothing... yet.

StueyDuck

Of course it will... its 2024 after all won't somebody please think of the children 🤣.

I see no backlash at all coming from this.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The jankiness is one of the best parts of the game. It's held together with Pritt Stick, but that's part of the charm.

Not sure how you "remove the outdated elements" when that's the entire thing.

You could say the same of RE2 though. Yet RE2 Remake is a masterpiece.

If you want the jank/outdated elements, then play the original. If you want a modernization, the remake sounds intriguing.

Top Bottom