• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher Game in the works

So 2 teams, presumably 2 AAA games in production, Witcher 4 in 2027/2028, and the next Cyberpunk or whatever even later? With nothing except CP expansion(s) in between? Can't say that's sustainable.

They already showed us the pipeline and the vast majority of their devs are still on Cyberpunk. They're not capable of developing two AAA games simultaniously.

Last edited:
They already showed us the pipeline and the vast majority of their devs are still on Cyberpunk. They're not capable of developing two AAA games simultaniously.

You mean their strategy?

In the company notice, CDP also said that starting in 2022 it will work on multiple triple-A games and expansions in parallel. The Management Board of CD Projekt also announced further development of its brands and expansion of its expertise in the area of online gaming.

and this: https://gameworldobserver.com/2021/...-cd-projekt-redirects-staff-to-other-projects

And the work on the next gen CP2077 is now over.

Last edited:
You mean their strategy?

In the company notice, CDP also said that starting in 2022 it will work on multiple triple-A games and expansions in parallel. The Management Board of CD Projekt also announced further development of its brands and expansion of its expertise in the area of online gaming.

Lol Multiple AAA games in parallel. AKA 1 game utulising the vast majority of their workforce while the others are worked on by skeleton crews

You've basically just admittied it there anyway. Starting this year. Which means up until now they have definitley NOT been working on W4 in earnist. So 2 years is again a pipe dream.

That's why I said, in some form (probably pre-production, conceptualization etc.), the new Witcher has reportedly been in the works for 3-4 years, and gave an estimated (maybe a bit hopeful) release date based on the source which seems more knowledgeable.
Starting this year might just mean full production on multiple games.

Add UE5 and not their mess of an engine, and it might not be another case of development hell like CP2077.

But if it's really 2027/2028, 2030 or whatever, then fuck waiting for this game, even if Witcher is my favourite franchise.

idwt.gif

gypsygib

Well it is no surprise since it is the only thing that can save them.
One flawed release does not make a great dev suddenly terrible. The Witcher series is one of the most beloved in gaming. The f'd up (huge) with Cyberpunk but I don't know why so many people think a dev is only as good as their last release.

That's why I said, in some form (probably pre-production, conceptualization etc.), the new Witcher has reportedly been in the works for 3-4 years, and gave an estimated (maybe a bit hopeful) release date based on the source which seems more knowledgeable.
Starting this year might just mean full production on multiple games.

Add UE5 and not their mess of an engine, and it might not be another case of development hell like CP2077.

But if it's really 2027/2028, 2030 or whatever, then fuck waiting for this game, even if Witcher is my favourite franchise.

idwt.gif
Which will come out first Gta 6, Witcher 4 or elder scrolls 6. Lol.

b0uncyfr0

Yeah nar, the bridge is already burnt CDPR - You were great but not anymore. Ill reserve judgment for when this is out but after all the talent that's already left CDPR, this witcher game will prob never be as good.

Shame really, you brought this on yourselves.

zcaa0g

Banned
Going to be a tough act to follow after 3. I usually get burned out on RPGs 75% of the way through. On The Witcher 3, I completed everything. Good luck.

No good if it results in the game’s AI and performance being shit on the majority of hardware, is it? Not to mention a boatload of bugs.

When they say pushing the boundaries of graphics, they mean without compromising the actual game experience.
In this case graphics are the only thing that matters actually specifically for the engineers. They dont have time to actually play the game.

In this case graphics are the only thing that matters actually specifically for the engineers. They dont have time to actually play the game.
They’re making a general multi platform game engine. Of course the ability to make a stable, optimised, engaging experience across a wide range of hardware in the engine is important. Christ…

Last edited:
I posted this on twitter but my thoughts on this are not as good as everyone elses, well partially not good. Its good news for Witcher fans, such as myself(duh) but bad news for Cyberpunk fans such as myself. Why? Because of the engine switch. The fact that they dropped REDEngine means Cyberpunk is in such a shit state, they'll never fix or add the things we were promised/wanted and besides some story dlc that are 100% going to be some ok at best stuff, we won't see much else. Pretty sure with this announcement they are moving most of their main force to work on Witcher because they now have to learn how to use UE5 properly. I mean it took a year for them to give us some average fixes for the game....a fucking year. It's clear the redengine is fucked with no Witcher 3 next-gen patch/content in sight either.

Last edited:

Fbh

I wonder if people will see that the developers are messy since ever

Most big open world games with massive amounts of content will have some degree of bugs and glitches. You don't have to look hard on youtube to find videos of similar stuff in the new Horizon or Elden Ring.
Sure, CDPR games were always a bit more buggy and janky than others, but Cyberpunk on Ps4/Xb1 took it to another level. It wasn't just the bugs, it was the horrible framerate, the horrible blurry visuals, the empty streets on top of all the cut content and all the stuff that they talked about for years that just wasn't in the game (including the PC version).

Witcher 3 on Ps4 at its worst (the bog and the middle of Novigrad) was still much better than the standard experience of Cyberpunk on ps4.

Last edited:
I just can't wait to see how CDPR is going to create new bugs that should never exist within UE5. It's gonna be epic! 🍿

But if this new game is something like Witcher 3, I'll be there day one.... plus some others, time to fix it, and to fix the new bugs they will surely introduce with new updates. It's CDPR after all.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Hell yeah.. count me in. I want to forget cyberpunk launch experience.
Haha, I just quit Cyberpunk 2077 befre the end today. Played about 12 hours and got to the last mission and just didn't care to play it any more. Felt 0 shits about any of the characters including V and Johnny and just gave up. Hopefully the new Witcher can get Project Red back on track.

Hinedorf

Banned
Epic Games........ wow way to not know or understand your fanbase..... for me that means it's on the pass list until it's on steam if ever. As a consumer Epic and it's store is just a pass for me forever more.

Would gladly be a day 1 buyer otherwise even with all the Cyberpunk crap but to me Epic is a double down on internal bad decision making. Thankfully CDPR is telling us who they are now... a company of preorder chasers letting their title be sold to the worst distributor just to collect a few more pennies on the dollar while likely jerking off the final product just like Cyberpunk.

EDIT..... CONFIRMED - this partnership will not mean the next Witcher game is exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

AND SAVED!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Dunno how much faith I have in them anymore after Cyberpunk.

Switching to Unreal lets them just work on creating a game instead of messing around with a proprietary engine. They can find people experienced in Unreal. They had to build all kinds of stuff for Cyberpunk in the engine because it was different genre than Witcher.

Last edited:
I posted this on twitter but my thoughts on this are not as good as everyone elses, well partially not good. Its good news for Witcher fans, such as myself(duh) but bad news for Cyberpunk fans such as myself. Why? Because of the engine switch. The fact that they dropped REDEngine means Cyberpunk is in such a shit state, they'll never fix or add the things we were promised/wanted and besides some story dlc that are 100% going to be some ok at best stuff, we won't see much else. Pretty sure with this announcement they are moving most of their main force to work on Witcher because they now have to learn how to use UE5 properly. I mean it took a year for them to give us some average fixes for the game....a fucking year. It's clear the redengine is fucked with no Witcher 3 next-gen patch/content in sight either.
So sure of yourself how can you not be dissapointed.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Save them? From what? Gamers? Lol. You show them concept art with cool music and they preorder in the millions.
CDPR is skating on borrowed reputation. The Witcher was buggy and got bad to middling reviews. The Witcher 2 got moderate reviews. The Witcher 3 is their only "beloved" game with universal praise. Cyberpunk was a trash fire. Calling their track record spotty would be generous. Gamers have a short memory, unless you give them shit twice in a row. CDPR basically has one chance to save their reputation after Cyberpunk.

mortal

Gold Member
Knowing that they're using UE5 is the most exciting prospect to me. Very eager to see the results... in 4 to 6 years.

ClosBSAS

lets bet...i am willing to bet my account that it will be an EGS exclusive. we are not planning means shit. say no upfront or ur just lying.

Kumomeme

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.
so....once they completely done with Cyberpunk what gonna happened to the engine? put it into the gutter?

Last edited:

Chronicle

CDPR is skating on borrowed reputation. The Witcher was buggy and got bad to middling reviews. The Witcher 2 got moderate reviews. The Witcher 3 is their only "beloved" game with universal praise. Cyberpunk was a trash fire. Calling their track record spotty would be generous. Gamers have a short memory, unless you give them shit twice in a row. CDPR basically has one chance to save their reputation after Cyberpunk.
Nah. I absolutely stand by what I said. Gamers are fickle. Gamers are famous for:

Uncontrolled blistering hype based on almost nothing.
Canceled games 'would have been the greatest ever'
So and so said therefore it is written in granite.
Triple dip
This company bought this company so the war is over.
Etc.

Also in your argument you disprove yourself by saying 'give them shit twice in a row' Ala Witcher 1 and 2 according to you. They all bought 3 a cried about the framerate.

Gamers are fickle and fooled easily.

Top Bottom