• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Congress prepares to undo Obamacare, weigh Trump personnel picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is amazing.

Country is falling apart before our very eyes and liberals are still arguing over the fucking primary.
I want the left to come together and that's going to require many of us learning to be patient with a lot of people working through their grief and anger, and not becoming angry and/or frustrated with them in turn. For a lot of people that was their first primary and re-litigating the process is a coping mechanism. "If only they had/she had/he had/we had" and such. People aren't rational when they're extremely distressed and/or panicked and that's exactly the state this election has left a lot of liberals. We have to stay calm while collectively walking toward the exit of the disaster that was 2016 and remember we're all on the same side.

If only he ran and Clinton wasn't "the chosen one." Democrats should have had a proper primary like the Republicans.

Even in the face of destruction, people can't help themselves to dig at Clinton. The hate is unreal. And is the real reason we're in this mess.

Fuck Republicans, but most of all, fuck liberals who couldn't get over themselves to get out and vote because of purity tests.

Now my mother is going to lose her health insurance. I could hurt someone.

gaugebozo

Why not replace it with a universal health care system? Vs. repeal and delay?
Are you serious? That's not happening without huge Democratic majorities, the presidency, and a supreme court majority. Even then they'll try to stop it. Republicans are the party of nothing the Democrats like.

Beartruck

Why not replace it with a universal health care system? Vs. repeal and delay?
Obamacare was supposed to be single payer universal healthcare. Republicans hobbled it in the creation phase, and now they're finishing it off. Repeal and delay exists because they have no plan and want to delay the worst effects until after the midterm.

His son died. He wasn't gonna run

Plus Joe, much like Bernie, would have lost this election. Joe may have faired slightly better, but not by much

It's not about winning. It's about putting legitimate competition against Clinton and hardening her in the primary.

Clinton was soft and lazy throughout the general election and I attribute some of that problem to the weakass competition in the primary.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SMH folks still arguing the primary.
I don't get much more from arguing about something that Republicans are about to do which I'm powerless to stop at this point. I'm not much into retreading the primaries, but I can see why others might prefer fantasy football at this point.

Obamacare was supposed to be single payer universal healthcare. Republicans hobbled it in the creation phase, and now they're finishing it off. Repeal and delay exists because they have no plan and want to delay the worst effects until after the midterm.
Single payer was never realistic, and Republicans were never going to support anything about it regardless. It was watered down, particularly the removal of the public option, to appease moderate/conservative Democrats.

Gallbaro

Banned
I would be OK with removing the ability for corporations to expense health care costs.

Let the population be exposed to the pricing, we are paying for it anyway.

What I meant was that they cannot actually delay anything. If they push the ball, it's going to roll down the hill all on its own. That 2-3 year window is nonsense. The UHC market is fragile and tenuous to begin with, and it will collapse like a Jenga tower.

If they truly start this with the New Year, this is going to be a massive issue in 2018. They can play their delay plans up all they want, won't help.
Agreed.

This is capitalism at its core, and yet Republicans seem totally oblivious to the ramifications of repealing Obamacare.

Obama convinced Joe not to run against Clinton.

Obama fucked this country hard.

This is bullshit.

The entire democrat establishment was lined up for Clinton. She was going to win no matter what. Obama merely laid out the facts to Biden. He was still going to run until his son died.

The idea that Biden was going to beat Hillary Clinton is laughable.

Siegcram

Sure, instead of discussing the steaming crater that US healthcare is about to be, lets pour out some Bernie-shaped salt. Might as well.

Don't forget "democrat" Joe Lieberman. His opposition broke it. Could have been rammed through with single payer if it wasn't for him - even with GOP obstruction.

daveo42

Banned
Republicans go with and push through Repeal and Wait, then Democrats should take their hands off the entire thing. Healthcare will be a nightmare for four years and will be solely on Republican hands. If they had a way to replace it with at least something, then maybe they'd at least have some support for it on the other side of the aisle, but with nothing...the whole system goes to pot in a matter of days.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Don't see how this is possible. The GOP has all the power and the blame will be squarely on them.

I've seen people blame Obama for 9/11.
There's going to be some real dumb fucks that believe it's Obama's fault somehow.

Are you serious? That's not happening without huge Democratic majorities, the presidency, and a supreme court majority. Even then they'll try to stop it. Republicans are the party of nothing the Democrats like.

Why does creating a universal healthcare system have to happen with a Democrat majority? Some of the best systems have heavier reliance on the private sector offset with reasonable regulation. I don't like the private sector dominating health care but I'm sure Republicans can do something good if they truly want to be better than the ACA net.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Don't see how this is possible. The GOP has all the power and the blame will be squarely on them.
You forget that reason and internal consistency has absolutely nothing to do with how the GOP blames others.

The upcoming President is a guy who has repeatedly said that Obama founded ISIS.

Why does creating a universal healthcare system have to happen with a Democrat majority? Some of the best systems have heavier reliance on the private sector offset with reasonable regulation. I don't like the private sector dominating health care but I'm sure Republicans can do something good if they truly want to be better than the ACA net.

They don't. That's the problem. They've been bitching about ACA for over half a decade yet they still don't have a replacement plan and are expecting to be able to stall all the messy parts of the repeal past midterms. Part of why ACA wasn't as good as it could have been was due to Republican refusing to cooperate on the matter.

They don't. They want people to use bootstraps and die for all they care in order to protect businesses.

See: GOP also beating drums over destroying Social Security and Medicare. GOP is on a mission to destroy what has defined Democrats since the Great Depression/FDR.

Postpone the actions for three years? Wait, are they doing this so the fallout can be blamed on the next Democratic administration?

Postpone the actions for three years? Wait, are they doing this so the fallout can be blamed on the next Democratic administration?

More so that voters can't take it out on them during the 2018 mid-term elections. If there is a delay, there is hope voters won't see the bad effects from losing health coverage or other related protections. I'd imagine more time could then be devoted to rolling back more social protections, voting rights, etc. so that in the 2020 general, they can mitigate rising demographic shifts and still have a fighting shot at winning across the board.

They don't. That's the problem. They've been bitching about ACA for over half a decade yet they still don't have a replacement plan and are expecting to be able to stall all the messy parts of the repeal past midterms. Part of why ACA wasn't as good as it could have been was due to Republican refusing to cooperate on the matter.

The ACA WAS THEIR PLAN. It's why they have no alternative plan to fall back on. I would have preferred single payer of course, but it wasn't politically feasible. And because of that unfortunate fact the Democrats using the GOP plan for health care reform was a stroke of genius. Now that the Republican party is in power they're backed into a corner with no way out. If they screw this up the Democratic party will retake Congress and the White House and they'll have a mandate to do things the right way this time.

Don't give up hope, we won't live under this terribly cruel and inefficient health care system forever. And please remember that this is the same country that elected a black man by the name of Barack Hussein Obama President, not once but TWICE.

They don't. They want people to use bootstraps and die for all they care in order to protect businesses.

See: GOP also beating drums over destroying Social Security and Medicare. GOP is on a mission to destroy what has defined Democrats since the Great Depression/FDR.

It would make more political sense to me to cover everyone with whatever tweaks to an existing universal health care system that the GOP can come up with to make it acceptable to their camp. Obamacare is a tweaked Republican plan and doesn't get at core problems of why the US isn't the best in the world and why too many people face unnecessary hardship here.

That's ultimately the point of reform isn't it? When we say we're the best in the world...we're actually the best overall?

Repeal and replace with nothing for years seems like political suicide although I don't have a crystal ball.

Mully

I told a Trump supporting neighbor that I was nervous I was going to lose the healthcare I just got through Obamacare, a few weeks back.

Without even a thought, their response was, "You'll be fine."

It took me every part of me to stop myself from screaming at them that I need affordable therapy and medication to function. If I lose my healthcare I lose my mind, literally. I'm so angry that Republicans don't understand that.

It would make more political sense to me to cover everyone with whatever tweaks to an existing universal health care system that the GOP can come up with to make it acceptable to their camp. Obamacare is a tweaked Republican plan and doesn't get at core problems of why the US isn't the best in the world and why too many people face unnecessary hardship here.

That's ultimately the point of reform isn't it? When we say we're the best in the world...we're actually the best overall?

Repeal and replace with nothing for years seems like political suicide although I don't have a crystal ball.

It is. It isn't uncommon to hear people theorize that GOP was planning on having healthcare act as a boogeyman to aid with local elections and they weren't expecting to achieve a full wipe that would put them on the spot anytime soon.

I told a Trump supporting neighbor that I was nervous I was going to lose the healthcare I just got through Obamacare, a few weeks back.

Without even a thought, their response was, "You'll be fine."

It took me every part of me to stop myself from screaming at them that I need affordable therapy and medication to function. If I lose my healthcare I lose my mind, literally. I'm so angry that Republicans don't understand that.

Sounds about right. This narrative that people have been trying to push, that we just have to be nicer to them to get them on our side, is garbage.

The truth is they don't give a damn about you. You can't reason with that.

????

As someone who worked in hospice care, I am confused.

Only a handful of states even allow assisted suicide...it's only going up, not down.

No, you misunderstand.

Not choose to die as in assisted suicide.

Choose to die as in "I shot myself in the foot, but rather than pay a hospital bill, I'm just gonna bleed out".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom