• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Congress prepares to undo Obamacare, weigh Trump personnel picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj1108

If they repeal it, then what do they have planned to replace it?

"Don't get sick"

What I want to know is, how the fuck do you spend millions of dollars over six years protesting a bill and when you finally get the chance to repeal it, you need more years to come up with a solution?

Because they don't have a solution. They never had a solution. They just want it to go away and hope everyone forgets all about it.

The moment they repeal ACA it will all collapse, the fact that they think a two or three year delay on its taking effect would change this shows how utterly stupid/evil they are.

Delaying 2/3 years is basically just a tactic to make sure this doesn't bite them in the ass during midterms. As soon as we get past Nov 2018, that's when things when they get to the point where they enact the most dastardly stuff (especially if 2018 goes as bad as it looks like in the Senate and they gain a super-majority).

Meh. I always figured Republicans were just going to use "Repealing Obamacare" has one of those platforms that they convince people to vote on, but then never actually commit to the job. It'd be like overturning Roe v. Wade. Sure they want to do it, and their voters want them to do it, but why not milk the idea to continue winning seats for several decades?

Delaying 2/3 years is basically just a tactic to make sure this doesn't bite them in the ass during midterms. As soon as we get past Nov 2018, that's when things when they get to the point where they enact the most dastardly stuff (especially if 2018 goes as bad as it looks like in the Senate and they gain a super-majority).

Not happening. As soon as Republicans pull the plug, there won't be any "grace period". Insurance companies will run for the hills.

Vena

What I meant was that they cannot actually delay anything. If they push the ball, it's going to roll down the hill all on its own. That 2-3 year window is nonsense. The UHC market is fragile and tenuous to begin with, and it will collapse like a Jenga tower.

If they truly start this with the New Year, this is going to be a massive issue in 2018. They can play their delay plans up all they want, won't help.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Meh. I always figured Republicans were just going to use "Repealing Obamacare" has one of those platforms that they convince people to vote on, but then never actually commit to the job. It'd be like overturning Roe v. Wade. Sure they want to do it, and their voters want them to do it, but why not milk the idea to continue winning seats for several decades?

A few too many true believers are putting them in a really bad spot, chiefly Ryan

Repeal and delay won't actually delay the market collapsing unless they subsidize the insurers and there's enough ideologies left that they won't subsidize the insurers.

Insurers will pull out as soon as they pull funding for Obamacare and that will cause the system to collapse and make people unhappy for having their health insurance taken away. They're grasping for anything to reduce the pain from taking away the health insurance of millions, but there's no tactic that will allow them to do this.

digdug2k

Its pretty hilarious to me to hear them going "repeal would be crazy!" at this point, after they've voted to it 60 some times now. They democrats should have just let one of those go through once. Said "I guess you've got a mandate", and let them enjoy whatever happened.

I can only hope that the long game of the GOP is dead in the water due to rising populations that are disproportionately left-leaning (and the general favoritism for the left from millennials/Gen Z).

Accelerationism already failed or else we would not have reached the point we are now at.

Isn't the idea of accelerationism to put our society in such a shitty place that it wakes us up? At least accelerationism in this context anyway.

Bleepey

I see no way how that can happen. I don't even mean that politically I mean that literally. They are powerless and there is no emergency break.

This isn't a small change, this has the potential to throw out entire health system into dissaray. Republicans will own this, and there's no much here for Dems to do for better or worse, theirs no emergency exit on this ride.

Team sports tends to end when you start dying. Sad as it is, death will open some eyes. It's just sad that it historically almost always has to get that bad before people stop being idiots.

It's already been happening since the election. First people in denial over health care or bewilderment that they'd actually repeal it. And now miners hoping against hope that somehow Black Lung protection doesn't go down with ACA. Reality is dawning, and it doesn't give a shit what you "feel".

But Vena, you're being one of those "hypocritical" liberals that laugh at people who vote against their own interests getting what they voted for. Laughing at people who die or lose their savings from healthcare bills one day the next you're laughing at guns nuts shooting themselves in the foot/ head or their family members.

Foffy

Banned
2017 will be a year we pour gasoline on many social fires.

This will not be fun at fucking all.

And we ain't gonna learn the lessons we fucking need to, either...

Lemaitre

Banned
2017 will be a year we pour gasoline on many social fires.

This will not be fun at fucking all.

And we ain't gonna learn the lessons we fucking need to, either...

We will. It's just going to take the deaths of thousands (millions?) for us to realize we need some god damn national healthcare in this country.

Foffy

Banned
We will. It's just going to take the deaths of thousands (millions?) for us to realize we need some god damn national healthcare in this country.

This is one shoe that will fall, and we are an octopus cosplaying as a person. :(

Can't wait for the Republicans to tell people to get gig economy jobs for health care purposes....

Nokterian

Seeing how republicans have all the power now, there going to dismantle everything even Net Neutrality in favor for the ISP and not the consumer.

_woLf

Can't wait for the Democrats to turn over and just allow this shit to all happen.

Wake me up in 4 years please.

Foffy

Banned
Seeing how republicans have all the power now, there going to dismantle everything even Net Neutrality in favor for the ISP and not the consumer.

They will not only commodify information like the internet, but worry that they will weaponize it.

That's in fact the greatest issue. Handing it to the cartels is actually a baby issue.

"Truth" can become a socioeconomic privilege. One will be handed down myths at an unheard of scale.

If we can't get out of free will, trickle-down bullshit, imagine any dissenting views to those with money in their hands...

Polk

As for the Obamacare repeal. Fine, go for it. It's obvious the Republicans don't have shit. People will lose their insurance, get sick, and have nowhere to go. Everything that happens afterwards can be blamed squarely on the fucknaughts running the country.

Come on, it's obviously Obamas fault. He made Obamacare such travesty Republicans had no choice other than kill it ASAP. He made them do it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Can't wait for the Democrats to turn over and just allow this shit to all happen.

What can they do? They have control over none of the federal Gov't!

And the republicans are instituting Jim Crow 2.0 as we speak to keep it that way

If they repeal it, then what do they have planned to replace it?

Bootstraps

Uh...the Democrats have very little power. Republicans control all 3 branches of the government. Not sure what you expect them to be able to do exactly.

Did people not pay attention to this election or something?

gnzW2dP.jpg

Go ahead and repeal Obamacare. I dare you.

What a disaster! I feel so sorry for so many people who are going to be affected by this. The republicans really only have themselves to blame after this disaster happens.

I've felt the same about Republicans as a whole for years.

Republicans have gone past full-blown evil at this point, to utterly heartless. They seem to only existent to make themselves richer at this point, and they don't have my sympathies anymore (not that ever did). In fact, I wouldn't mind if something "negative" happened to them, not that it probably will, though. Sign!

I feel so sorry for all those who are going to lose their health insurance because of this epic fuckup. Unless they voted for Trump of course, in this case it's just "learning by pain".

This is what happens when you don't take elections seriously.

Yeah, I really hope the Democrats come up with some proper candidates next time.

Foffy

Banned
"They should just die."

I had to defriend somebody over FB because they were complaining that Obama was taking away their ability to choose to die.

Also: people think other people should just die.

????

As someone who worked in hospice care, I am confused.

Only a handful of states even allow assisted suicide...it's only going up, not down.

Mortemis

Banned
What I meant was that they cannot actually delay anything. If they push the ball, it's going to roll down the hill all on its own. That 2-3 year window is nonsense. The UHC market is fragile and tenuous to begin with, and it will collapse like a Jenga tower.

If they truly start this with the New Year, this is going to be a massive issue in 2018. They can play their delay plans up all they want, won't help.

Yeah, I was wondering what the fuck a two to three year window would do. Why would insurers stick around for two to three years in a program that's going to die? They would pull out immediately is my guess. People will feel reprecussions of this upcoming congress and presidency at least by the end of next year when current plans can't be renewed.

Future

The court order, brought by the states of Texas, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Louisiana, Arizona, Kentucky, and Mississippi, along with three Christian-affiliated groups, stated that the Health and ....

I often wonder if it would actually be better if the country separated into 2. It would never happen, but I could have probably named most of the states above for being against transgendered rights

It's like there is literally 2 different americas, both unified in their own beliefs, with the only conflict coming from with the two sides meet.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Wait a minute, did i read that correctly, out of the 300million US citizens only 13 million are actually in the Obamacare program? And the GOP makes a fuzz because of that?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wait a minute, did i read that correctly, out of the 300million US citizens only 13 million are actually in the Obamacare program? And the GOP makes a fuzz because of that?

Everyone is affected by the affordable care act.

13 million people utilize the exchanges to find and purchase insurance.

Siegcram

Would be great if the electorate was smart enough to realize their vote has resulted in the death of thousands of americans (and it's statistically pretty likely gonna be someone the know).

But no, let's unleash unchecked capitalism on education and healthcare to make sure to fuck over coming generations beyond comprehension. Fuck the GOP and its voters.

Good Lord. I nearly punched my monitor when I read that.

Hell is too good for these atrocious bastards.

As for the Obamacare repeal. Fine, go for it. It's obvious the Republicans don't have shit. People will lose their insurance, get sick, and have nowhere to go. Everything that happens afterwards can be blamed squarely on the fucknaughts running the country.

Haha! In your dreams. We are in port truth era now. They will find a way to blame the dems and Obama for the crash and they will gain even more power. When there is only one party cheating and doing all this nasty shit, they gain power. It's simple quite really. The dems have to stoop to their level if they want to fight this unfortunately.

Foffy

Banned
Can we just start our version of the French Revolution already?

You need enough people to want to abandon the system.

We're still in the "hang on by your teeth" phase of assimilating and absorbing rising precarity.

I do think Millennials will be the generation to eventually revolt, but that's when all doors to be like the previous generation are seen to be smoke.

The writing's on the wall, and people need to get off their fuckin' phones to start seeing it.

Right now, the terrorists at the GOP really aren't even considering these people. That speaks volumes to where they stand. What happens when this group inherits the country? To be decoupled from everything they were told to value and aim for?

Wondering something, people keep mentioning how a lot of people will die without healthcare. Makes sense since it covers medication, procedures, etc, but if/when that happens, will the news and Media even correlate the two events together?

Basically, when we get the, "Deaths Everywhere!" headlines, will they point to this repeal or will it not even be covered?

Wondering something, people keep mentioning how a lot of people will die without healthcare. Makes sense since it covers medication, procedures, etc, but if/when that happens, will the news and Media even correlate the two events together?

Basically, when we get the, "Deaths Everywhere!" headlines, will they point to this repeal or will it not even be covered?

Why would they? 24 hour news as it is is interested in being quick and punchy. They like to talk about gun massacres but not how to reduce it, nothing about reform or even "mental health" despite how much its bandied about. They like to talk about inner city crimes but not about inherent structural problems within those communities in regards to the government providing sufficient education or community support to curtail the amount of people that turn to crime as a last resort. They like news about climate change, who believes it and who denies it, but rarely outright tell their audience that it's unequivocally real and is the tipping point for humanity's self genocide if not addressed.

The news is all about the now and never the why. About the scare and not the cause or solution. It's about never confronting realities.

It will be sad to see a big number of Trump voters realize they were dependent on Obama Care...

I find it hard to wrap my mind around a person hating Obamacare to start with, getting it, enjoying the benefits, hearing clearly that the party they plan to vote for will destroy it, and then voting for that party to destroy it only to suddenly regret when they do what they said they would. As though they've been fucking sleep walking from when Obamacare was first proposed till now.

Siegcram

Well that would require a) for the US news media to do its job properly, which, safe for a few exceptions, ain't happening and b) the affected parties to believe said media, which also isn't happening.

So no, blame will be shifted towards convenient scapegoats and the public will further dive into insanity and disrepair, while Trump and his cronies fill their pockets. Enjoy.

McBryBry

Girlfriend starts paying for insurance via work this month. I'm currently on my mom's and will pay for mine within a year or two via work. Are we in danger? I'm worried for a lot of people but have yet to think about me and her. She's at Dollar Tree, mom is BJC, I'm Hubbard Broadcasting.

Ishan

Haha! In your dreams. We are in port truth era now. They will find a way to blame the dems and Obama for the crash and they will gain even more power. When there is only one party cheating and doing all this nasty shit, they gain power. It's simple quite really. The dems have to stoop to their level if they want to fight this unfortunately.
Or you know find obama esque / Obama lite candidates (I'm aware he is an excellent orator and a quite singular political figure)... I'm quite certain anyone but Hilary would have beat trump ... But then again I'm also quite certain anyone but trump would have also def won against Hillary .

I'm also of the opinion unless trump massively oversteps and gets impeached his chances of reelection aren't as low as ppl make it out to be . One of the major deterrents to him being elected was wait wait don't let this wack job get into power . 4 years withiut any massive missteps that argument goes out the window

Or you know find obama esque / Obama lite candidates (I'm aware he is an excellent orator and a quite singular political figure)... I'm quite certain anyone but Hilary would have beat trump ... But then again I'm also quite certain anyone but trump would have also def won against Hillary .

I'm also of the opinion unless trump massively oversteps and gets impeached his chances of reelection aren't as low as ppl make it out to be . One of the major deterrents to him being elected was wait wait don't let this wack job get into power . 4 years withiut any massive missteps that argument goes out the window

The man had a sex scandal in his cabinet before he was even inaugurated and created an international incident with China.

Either way, I don't think that many people voted against Trump because he was bad, but rather because he was a Republican. Granted, that kind of partisan voting is more a Republican thing, but it exists on both sides. If all Trump does in the next four years is avoid making trouble, he has a huge uphill battle.

1. To be reelected, you need to have a good first term. Not just passable, but people need to have something to take with them into the voting booth.
2. A major factor in Trump's victory is that he was underestimated. Guaranteed, 2020 won't see Democrats giving nearly as much focus to Georgia, Arizona, or Texas, instead putting a lot of their outreach into Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, and Michigan (maybe Minnesota, shit was a little too close for comfort).
3. Democrats are aware of the risk of running a Clinton-like, and there will likely be pressure on them to elect someone who is exciting. I don't think Joe or Bernie will run due to age, but I could see them being involved.
4. With Obama leaving with high approval ratings, he's going to be an asset on the campaign trail, especially if Trump doesn't prove his critics wrong in his four years in office.
5. Republicans had a big turnout, but that's not going to get any bigger in all likelihood. On the other hand, so long as Democrats run a candidate who excites and also campaigns in the states that were lost by hair-thin margins, turnout for Democrats will likely be higher just by the virtue of "we can't let him have another term." So long as there is a combination of Trump's inevitable alienation (Hispanic, black, LGBT, non-white women, and possibly white women are on the list of people who will likely be negatively affected and be repulsed from voting for him) and a candidate that can create a turnout, Trump is ded.

Granted, it's not good to be overconfident about this given what it did for us in this election, but Trump will be competing on an entirely different playing field. His campaigns in the Midwest won't be unmet, his potential won't be underestimated (by politicians or by the population), and he will likely have to do better in his attempt for reelection than he did now. And that's certainly a challenge, given that he is now in the establishment and his calls of draining the swamp, locking up [X] politician, and building a wall will not resonate with the public who heard these promises once before and saw that they weren't fulfilled. And if employment isn't fixed in the next four years for the rust belt, there won't be any loyalty, at least in terms of them coming out in record numbers for a Republican. Pennsylvania is the Republican's great white whale - it just so happens that in 2016, we thought that the whale would be fine on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom