• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Trump signs order to weaken Obamacare

Tovarisc

Edit:
TjETbpD.png

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/918655729933971457

------------------------------

President Donald Trump on Thursday signed an order to make it easier for Americans to buy bare-bones health insurance plans, using his presidential powers to undermine Obamacare after fellow Republicans in Congress failed to repeal the 2010 law.

Trump issued the executive order aimed at letting small businesses band together across state lines to buy cheaper, less regulated health plans for their employees with fewer benefits. Such new insurance options, however, may not be available until 2019, and the order could face legal challenges from Democratic state attorneys general.

It was Trump's most concrete step to undo Obamacare since he took office in January promising to dismantle Democratic former President Barack Obama's signature domestic policy achievement.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer accused Trump of ”using a wrecking ball to single-handedly rip apart our healthcare system."

”Having failed to repeal the law in Congress, the president is sabotaging the system," Schumer said.
‘DESTROYING EVERYTHING'

”The cost of the Obamacare has been so outrageous, it is absolutely destroying everything in its wake," Trump said at a White House signing ceremony.

Trump's order was aimed at making it easier for small businesses to join together as associations across state lines to buy cheaper, less regulated health plans.

When buying as a large group, these associations can decrease their risk of having a large proportion of members with expensive illnesses, which can drive up costs for small employers. The White House also said that it gives employers more leverage to negotiate with insurance companies in purchasing health insurance plans for employees.
Joseph Antos, a healthcare expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute think tank, said he did not believe the order would have much of an impact.

Health plans would be unlikely to be able to substantially cut costs because employers from regions with lower healthcare costs, like Iowa, would not want to join up with those from regions with higher healthcare costs, Antos said.

”The claim before we saw any of this was that it was going to make affordable coverage available to tens of millions of people. That's clearly not the case," Antos said.

Experts also questioned whether Trump has the legal authority to expand association health plans.

Democratic state attorneys general have said they will sue if Trump tries to destroy Obamacare. California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said Trump's executive order is just another step toward imploding the Affordable Care Act.

”It should come as no surprise that California is prepared to fight in court to protect affordable healthcare for its people," Becerra said.

The association health plans could attract young, healthy people and leave a sicker, more expensive patient pool in the individual insurance markets created under Obamacare, driving up premiums.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Health plans would be unlikely to be able to substantially cut costs because employers from regions with lower healthcare costs, like Iowa, would not want to join up with those from regions with higher healthcare costs, Antos said.

I have to agree with this. It wouldn't make any sense for them unless they get something out of it.

voOsh

As sure as day turns to night this will get blocked in court, Trump will tweet how the court is against him, and implore Congress to do something. It won't be his fault.

shira

Meanwhile universal healthcare is pretty good.

Too bad y'all arguing how insurance companies can make the most money.

Whenever I read stories like this, I'm reminded that 40 million Americans voted for this man and his policies, whether they be on trade, immigration, healthcare, or his insane foreign policies.

Whenever I read GAF, people seem to react to this news largely forgetful of that.

Ragnarok

As someone with a pre-existing condition, it's frightening the amount of effort put forth in this country to fuck over people like me.

That would certainly be nice. Arguments I've heard against it:

- If you are older, younger people get preferential treatment (and of course all these rich old fucks don't want that)

- Oh you need to see a doctor ok we'll schedule you an appointment six months out

- Why should I have to pay money for that person to get healthcare when they don't have a job and aren't paying for me (aka the fuck you got mine defense)

I don't actually understand how the second point is any different than what we have currently. I went to see my doctor in March, he asked for me to get a bone density scan and the soonest they could schedule me for one was in friggin' September. Then, once I got it (I haven't yet I had to reschedule it to next fucking year) but once I theoretically got it, the soonest I could have gone back to my doctor to talk about the results would have been sometime between March and May of 2018. I just had a colonoscopy that had to be scheduled over a month in advance because of the anesthesiologist, without him it would have made my appointment a whopping 6 days sooner. So uhhhhhh not a very strong argument if you ask me.

If there's one thing more important than ensuring a child gets cancer treatment, it's protecting the health insurance industry's grip on Americans health system! *

*this message may or not be paid for by top members of congress and their huge health insurance donors

jfkgoblue

Whenever I read stories like this, I'm reminded that 40 million Americans voted for this man and his policies, whether they be on trade, immigration, healthcare, or his insane foreign policies.

Whenever I read GAF, people seem to react to this news largely forgetful of that.
40 million? Try over 60 million.

If only it was so simple. Europe has enjoyed the ability to realocate funds because of the US defense spending.

guggnichso

Banned
40 million? Try over 60 million.

If only it was so simple. Europe has enjoyed the ability to realocate funds because of the US defense spending.

And we would have been able to locate even more funds to it were it not for the fucking US starting wars all over and us having to pay for the humanitarian desasters this creates.

Trump is so monumentally stupid that he seems to believe that "Obamacare" is like a business that can collapse, like his many businesses, by destabilizing it. When is one of his advisors going to tell him that all he's doing is destabilizing the actual private insurance markets instead?

SourBear

Banned
How would something like this even be legal. "Here is an executive order that says you don't have to follow the law" is basically how this reads. I don't understand. An executive order can't change law.

SoulUnison

Banned
Racism and fools allowing people to tell them health insurance is bad.

"But spending other people's money!"

Never mind that money is an entirely artificial, arbitrary human creation and there's a great multitude of important things and concepts that can't be (and shouldn't be) represented in financial terms.

RPGCrazied

Lets not forget he did this once before. Its not like, oh, I forgot! The whole reason I'm here is to sign this!

His mind is gone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
He has dementia

Republicans voted for a racist with dementia

Not ruling it out, but I see it more like the validation and camera wooing is all that he had on his mind(no shock). The order itself ranked preeeettttyyyy low on his thought-process. Pretty clear that he literally knows nothing about it, but just wants the attention, positive attention. Everything else gets shoved aside in his head(it didn't matter why he was there, but that he was applauded and swarmed by smiles in his direction).

Still a disease in the head either way.

ultron87

That "it costs nothing" comments makes wonder if Trump even expects this to result in anything. Like he just wanted to be all "SEE I DID SOMETHING WIN WIN WIN" when all this does it direct some departments to start looking into things that won't come into effect for many months, if at all.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That "it costs nothing" comments makes wonder if Trump even expects this to result in anything. Like he just wanted to be all "SEE I DID SOMETHING WIN WIN WIN" when all this does it direct some departments to start looking into things that won't come into effect for many months, if at all.
I just saw it as him making a joke tbh.

Top Bottom