• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Fighting Games - 2016 Edition [Voting Phase]

1) SoulCalibur (Arcade, Dreamcast, Xbox 360 Arcade) - The greatest fighting game of all time. That 98 Metacritic rating ain't lying. Truly a watershed moment in video game history, as it signaled the arrival of 6th gen with a bang. Gorgeous 3D visuals vastly superior to its arcade counterpart, and that still hold up today; an intriguing story; an amazing soundtrack; additional Single Player replay value via Mission Mode; a varied cast of exciting and different characters; and much more. But above all a fighting engine that is both novice-friendly and keeps offering something to experts and veterans. Using simple building blocks such as Horizontal/Vertical attacks, throws, and especially 8-way run, along with character movesets of all ranges and speeds, the game provides an almost infinite set of exciting matchups.

178-Soul_Calibur-10.jpeg
178-Soul_Calibur-8.jpg
178-Soul_Calibur-5.jpg

2) Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge (Arcade, Dreamcast; lots of other platforms) - Released in 1994, it truly refined (and almost perfected) the Street Fighter II formula, and remains exciting and playable to this day. A great roster of 16 (well, 17 including Gouki) of the unquestionably most iconic characters in video gaming; an equally iconic soundtrack; great pixel art, and overall art direction; and an overall great atmosphere. Most importantly, just like SoulCalibur, this game is friendly to both newcomers and veterans alike. It's easy to have fun in punching and kicking your opponent with normals or iconic moves like Ryu's "Hadoken"; but experts can take it very many levels beyond that and engage in exciting matches that contain juggles, different hit stun durations, kara canceling, and different individual character matchups (Dhalsim vs. Gief is entertaining, if only because poor Gief stands close to ZERO chance).

3) Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo AES, Dreamcast, PS2, etc) - The original SNK's swan song to the Fatal Fury series, this game is a tightly packed bundle of awesomeness. This game did a controversial (but at the end of the day, good) move of tossing out every single previous Fatal Fury character except for Terry Bogard, who comes in with a new design that is arguably better than his already iconic red hat and jacket design. 12 (10 regular and 2 boss) characters who all play very different from each other, providing a very fun and LEAN roster with minimal duplication; excellent soundtrack throughout, as is expected of the Fatal Fury series; and some of the best art direction and animation in the business. And of course, the fighting: gone is the (some would argue, silly) multi-plane Fatal Fury stuff for a single plane of relentless attacking, Just Defense (SNK's answer to Capcom's "parry" from Street Fighter III), and advance canceling and comboing techniques that will keep people engaged for days. Not to forget, that in the way that only SNK can do, this game has an amazing story, both overall and for individual characters. No wonder that SNK fans are hungry for a sequel to this excellent game, which just might be SNK's very best.

4) Tekken 3 - How do you top an already great Tekken 2? You toss out a lot of the old cast, and bring in exciting new characters, including facetious but extremely fun characters like a pint-sized dinosaur and a scientist that fights while laying on his back. You add a pumping, "industrial"-ish soundtrack that doesn't come off as generic; you add many modes of gameplay including a silly "Beach Volleyball" game. But more importantly, you speed up the gameplay and add several key mechanics, like sidestepping for everyone, counters to move counters (affectionally known as "chicken!" by some), enhanced juggling ability, etc. While Tekken Tag Tournament (1) has the more solid mechanics, this game is the actually better overall fighting game.

5) The King of Fighters '98: The Slugfest - The first "Dream Match" and still the best. Giant roster of well known and loved characters, all with a great movelist (we're talking regular characters, "EX" versions of Real Bout, Art of Fighting, and other characters, and bosses -- that's a lot of characters); the best in music that SNK has had to offer to this day; great aesthetics -- it's the last somewhat "gritty" King of Fighters, before they started going in a somewhat anime-ish route; and exciting gameplay with TWO modes of play, for each character. With this many options available, and how joyful the game is to play, it provides nearly infinite replay value.

Honorable Mentions:

1) Street Fighter III: Third Strike - Perfected the Street Fighter III formula, and it's a very solid and fun fighting game. Solid cast of "weird" characters. Great acid-jazz/hip hop soundtrack. Absolutely beautiful art direction and animation. The only thing that prevented this game from breaking my top 5 were its serious balance issues; most characters can't stand a chance against the "triumvirate" of Chun/Ken/Yun; actually, Super Art II Chun is obnoxiously overpowered in this game. That messed up balance brings the game down some notches for me. Also, in the aesthetics department, this game is a bit of a step down from its precedessors New Generation and Double Impact.

2) Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Absolutely beautiful sprite work; great set of unique characters; an amazing "in your face" heavy metal soundtrack; one of the best story modes around; and solid fighting that elevates in complexity fairly quickly. Although historically one of my absolute favorite games ever, "objectively" it had to come down several notches due to the core mechanic being too much of a "rush down" style.

I may fill these in later, just have no time right now.

3) Capcom vs SNK 2: Millionnaire Fighting 2001

4) Tekken Tag Tournament

5) Street Fighter Zero 2

AAK

1. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

ijXTTun.jpg

Tekken Tag Tournament is the magnum opus of the series and the perfection of the formula Namco has been brewing since Tekken 5. The sheer magnitude of mechanics at play and in the end functioning to form a fun, varied, and balanced fighter is miraculous. Despite how putrid the customization system is, all that needs to be said about TTT2 is that it's the deepest, most intricate and complex fighting game that has ever been released AND will ever be released. No other fighting game past, present, or future will even attempt to make a gameplay system that can provide so many brilliant moments of discovery as Tekken Tag 2's, ever.
Favorite Track from TTT2 - Landscape Under the Ghost

2. Tekken Tag Tournament

Y5PNlrU.jpg

Favorite Track - Paul Theme

3. Virtua Fighter 5 : Final Showdown

1383067-vf5_art_01.jpg

Favorite Track - Lion Theme (Palace)

4. Tekken 3

54ZRJdM.jpg

Favorite Track - Forest Law (Arcade)

5. Soul Calibur V

SoulCaliburVPatrklos.jpg

Favorite Track - Venice Rooftops

Honorable Mentions

- Mortal Kombat X
- King of Fighters XI
- Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike
- Tekken 5
- Tekken 4

Twelvy

I'm definitely no expert and I didn't play many of them but here is the list of what I enjoyed.

1. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: maybe not my favorite because I discovered it recently but the games feels so strong. The music is great, the 2d animation is incredible. Oh and Makoto is top tier :)
2. Street Fighter V: Since I'm kinda noobish, the game is really comfortable to play. Although my Karin is still destroyed online
3. Blazblue Continuum Shift: first game I really digged into. The artstyle is great, the sotry mode entertaining. I was playing Litchi
4. Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore (PS2). I really loved the parry system. The game (ahem... Kasumi) was gorgeous too
5. Soul Blade: First fighting I really liked. Loved to play Taki

Honorable mentions:
1. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: best version of the classic game that have defined many fighting games from there
2. Tekken 2: I know 3 is better but I never played it. My first fighting game. I wasn't set on one character but I remember liking Kunimitsu a lot
3. Vampire Savior: got introduced recently by a friend. I had a great time getting destroyed by him. The character variety is also really interesting. Enjoyed playing Lilith
4. Bushido Blade: I loved the idea of being able to die/kill in one good hit.
5. Dead or Alive 5: I found a new main: Mila. Otherwise, same reasons as DoA2

1. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

ijXTTun.jpg

Tekken Tag Tournament is the magnum opus of the series and the perfection of the formula Namco has been brewing since Tekken 5. The sheer magnitude of mechanics at play and in the end functioning to form a fun, varied, and balanced fighter is miraculous. Despite how putrid the customization system is, all that needs to be said about TTT2 is that it's the deepest, most intricate and complex fighting game that has ever been released AND will ever be released. No other fighting game past, present, or future will even attempt to make a gameplay system that can provide so many brilliant moments of discovery as Tekken Tag 2's, ever.
Favorite Track from TTT2 - Landscape Under the Ghost

I only have a Wii U - how is the Wii U version of Tekken Tag 2? I've seen it for cheap a few places, worth picking up?

AAK

I only have a Wii U - how is the Wii U version of Tekken Tag 2? I've seen it for cheap a few places, worth picking up?

The WiiU version has more offline content than the PS3 and 360 versions. So I will say yes. But I assume the online isn't as active as the other 2.

I have two physical and a digital copy.

It's essentially the same as the other versions with Nintendo Costumes, A Mushroom Battle Mode, Tekken Ball and the ability to draw on characters (limited to only 19 costume slots for some reason).

The only thing it's missing is Lily's Havoc Skirt and Heihachi's barbarian costume.

It has a new mode called Tekken supporters that allows use to give money to individual characters (there is a leaderboard). By giving over a million or two you can unlock all the special costumes for each character instead of having to grind ghost battle and wait for special gold box enemy appear (you get one or two pieces at a time). It's much, much quicker.

From the wacky Tekken thread:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition will always be the most overlooked third-party game on Wii U:

To add to the insanity of it all the Wii U version got bonus Snoop Lion outfits for over half the cast.

Theven fact those were a bonus for the Wii U Edition for some reason just added to the hilarity.

Zia

1) Marvel vs Capcom 2
2) Samurai Gunn
3) Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
4) Super Street Fighter II Turbo
5) Nidhogg
6) Bushido Blade
7) Last Blade 2
8) Virtua Fighter 3tb
9) Street Fighter III: Third Strike
10) Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

Thanks for your thoughts on Tekken Tag 2, gang! Sounds like I should pick this up the next time I see it, just too bad I wasn't there for the initial online action. And I gotta go those Snoop Lion duds, lol.

Thanks for your thoughts on Tekken Tag 2, gang! Sounds like I should pick this up the next time I see it, just too bad I wasn't there for the initial online action. And I gotta go those Snoop Lion duds, lol.

Physical copies are around $30 new now. Check Target for some at $20 or if you're lucky like me find one for $10. That was my second copy the first I also bought from Target but at launch.

Eolz

Main list (no order):

- Super Smash Bros 4 (launch trailer)
They finally managed to make a Smash Bros for everyone with this one: it's good for the pros, good for the casuals, but not too exploit-prone or too "flat" either. It looks fantastic on WiiU, better than expected on 3DS, has tons of content (single player, music, unlockables, missions, etc), a huge roster, and a lot of control options. This is a celebration of Nintendo history, but also of video games as a whole. Impossible to miss this one.

- Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (Ultimate E3 2013 trailer)
One of the best looking games this previous gen got a nice (yet basic) facelift on PS4/X1. Still really accessible yet deep, one of the most balanced fighting games I've ever played, it's a lot of fun most of the time. The roster is really diverse, with an archetype for anybody, and while being known for having an obscene amount of costume DLC, it's all in good fun and comes after tons of unlockables. Absolutely can't wait for DOA6, they've hit all the right things with 5.

- Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator (trailer 2)
Most beautiful fighting game this gen (how do they manage to get that out of UE3 is beyond me), this might seem too complex at first, but its great tutorial and various options still allow you to get a lot of fun out of it, even as a newbie. Best fighting game ArcSys ever made.

- Garou Mark of the Wolves (mobile trailer, just don't pay attention to the UI)
The best 2D fighting game ever made imo. It's light in terms of content, not with all the improvements that have been made since, and not played that much by people, but it is superbly designed and give you lots and lots of hours of enjoyment despite those flaws. The 360 port is excellent too.

- Virtua Fighter 5 (FS launch trailer)
It's at the same time a bit more complex and a bit simpler than DOA. It didn't age particularly well, but has that distinct arcade feel (AM2!) that most fighting games lost over time. Absolutely fantastic, I wish Sega was planning a VF6 already...

Honorable mentions (no order):

- Soul Calibur II
While this game hits some good memories for me (family), this is before anything a really polished game with some great content and a lot of fun in every match. It's accessible, has a great roster (but unbalanced), and looked/sounded fantastic at the time. The exclusive character per platform was an interesting strategy too.

- Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Actually the best team fighter game on the market today, it's a pure work of love. It looks fantastic, is full of charm and is super fun even if you can't pull off huge combos. Online is not as fun due to this (mostly really good players there), and the single player content lacks a bit of replayability, but it will always pull out a smile out of you, even when losing.

- Ultra Street Fighter IV
This was an extremely tough choice between this, 2 (the one that started everything) and 3S (a cult classic), but I had to give to Ultra IV. Excellent roster (not balanced at all), a lot of content, some good mechanics, and some great support over the years made it my fighter of choice for several years. Probably the game where I had the most local versus games in the end.

- The King of Fighters XIII
Arguably the best looking sprites out there, a lot of content, a fantastic roster, and a combat system that is not as complex as it may seem at first. It's still harder than most on this list, and it has the same problem as Skullgirls (huge combos, get destroyed online if not), but it is something that is really nice to play against evenly skilled players. It's old school at its best.

- Killer Instinct (reboot)
After being extremely hyped, then cautiously optimistic, then disappointed, then interested again, I'm now convinced (thanks to the PC release) that KI is not only a great reboot for this old franchise, but extremely well managed and one of the best modern fighting games on the market today. Really worth a play, especially since it's F2P.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
1- Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
latest

Complex simplicity. One of the best designed video games(not just fighting games) of all time. Fun ass formula that works in so many levels. Coupled with what is still one of the best character animations in gaming and a top notch sound track. SF3 is still my GOAT fighter

2- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
umvc3-box-art.jpg

Danger Room. You're never safe. UMVC3 is one best. My favorite thing about the game is that it captures what video games are all about, the fantasy of being the characters you're controlling. And UMVC3 does the best job of making you feel like the super heroes/villains you're controlling. The characters are powerful, the tactics are powerful, the comboz are gorgeous and creative, the matches are exciting. When's Mahvel.

3- Soul Caliber 2

I really learned to wrap my head around 3D fighters playing this game. It was fast, has a fairly simple formula(horizontal/vertical..ect), well designed characters artistically and gameplaywise, SC2 was big, played it a bit too much back in the days. Ivy/Hwang 4ever!!!

4- Tekken Tag Tournament 2
artworks-000025302882-087v17-original.jpg

Tag 2 is simply the best iteration of that Tekken design. simple as that. Overall well balanced, Great new characters and returns. Its literally the best of the series.

5- Last Blade 2
lastblade2final_conceptart_wnVjI.jpg

A fairly niche game i discovered, after falling for SF3, and for the longest, i described it as SF3 with weapons. Great neutral game, fun moves. amazing characters(probably my favorite thing about it), Its one of SNK's best, and my favorite.

cj_iwakura

1) BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

A series vote for my favorite fighting game, but it was CT that got me addicted. It has the best story of all the games, the best soundtrack(despite some godly additions later on), and some of the funniest gag reels of all time.

Imperial Code

2) Last Blade 2: The Heart of the Samurai
lb2-8.png

This game is poetry in motion. Watching two skilled players go at it is like watching a classic samurai duel unfold, with the atmosphere and music to match.

Way of the Blade

3) Street Fighter Alpha 2
hqdefault.jpg

For me, this game defines Street Fighter. Dramatic story, amazing music, the creative team at their zenith.

Sakura's Theme

4) Rival Schools: Project Justice
My favorite 3D fighter ever. Massive cast, huge story, style for days.
Seijyun Girls' High Courtyard

But Momo can rot in hell.

5) Guilty Gear X2
gfs_72837_2_5.jpg

I am terrible at this game, but its style always brings me back for more.

A Simple Life

Honorable Mentions

1) Tekken 5
While not the pinnacle or anything, it's my favorite. Julia at her prime.

2) Marvel VS Capcom
Was addicted to this game for ages, and was blown away by the sheer amount of fan service.

3) Samurai Shodown
One of my first fighting games, so it's near and dear to me.

4) The King of Fighters XI
Probably(definitely) not the most popular game in the series, but something about its style just speaks to me.

Bumping this for visibility, let's get some more votes (and especially some insights, it's awesome to read people showing love to their favorites) before the deadline!

Mesharey

My vote:
DoA5
Best cast of characters, solid and gameplay, amazing tutorial and training modes, balanced well.

DoA4
DoA3
DoA2 Ultimate (it's a lot different than 2).
Soul Calibur 5

Honorable mentions
Soul Calibur
Tekken 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Virtua Fighter 5
Street Fighter 4

Sorry didn't write much, I'm in bed and remembered I should vote before it's late. XD

Essay

Going to refrain from pictures and just stick to music links. Mobile version's already crowded enough with the thumbnails.

— Main Picks —
1) Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R (2012)
God's Gift. Praise Be. No game will ever feel this good again to play, or teach me so much about problem solving. Training to compete in this game bettered my life. Balanced incredibly with speed and gameplay variety like no other, I almost don't want to get into singing the praises of this game because I have things to do this month!
Boss I-No theme: The Midnight Carnival (Really, anything, save for the trolling Robo-Ky alt theme, is gold in this. Soundtrack is so incredibly consistent in quality)

2) Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- (2016)
The new hotness. Perfect reboot to the best game ever. It really seems to have something for everyone—it's a thrill to compete in, bliss to watch in motion, has a world of lore and fandom to lose oneself in, and is like crack in terms of how many hours can lose to just playing with the package that ArcSys gave us. Empire-forming shit. ArcSys is set for life.
Sin Kiske Theme: Just Do It

3) Darkstalkers 3: Vampire Savior (1997)
This game gives a rush like no other. Incredibly well-thought-out system mechanics, engaging players fully, body and mind. The way that the Tech Hit (pushblock) system weighs on the meta game is like nothing else, and emphasizes an element of the genre that's too-often overlooked: the essential gap between hand control and decision making. The only reason I ever get down on this game are for some of the glitches and oversights that really define and separate the character tiers. If not for that, this is the one game that could've given me what Guilty Gear does.
Morrigan's Theme

4) Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (2010)
First off, the animation in this series is pretty much porn for any fan of old kung fu movies, pro-wrestling or combat sports. System mechanics and execution in this version are more accessible than ever, letting players new and old get right to what is probably the most cerebral fighting game to be played. It absolutely embodies the idea that a match can be a conversation between two players, and probably expresses each player's personality and style more visibly for all to see than any other FG I've touched.
Ruins Stage Theme

5) The King of Fighters XIII (2010)
I used to hate the KOF series. The way this game looked and moved changed that for me, and finally got me to sit down and discover how involving the core gameplay could actually be. Another 2D fighter I love for its incredible pace, for how it engages my senses, and for how it locks me into a "conversation" with my opponent, albeit one that always steers in a particular direction as the meter-management meta plays out.
Team Elizabeth Theme: Each Promise

— Honorable Mentions —
1) Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers Revenge (1995)
For everything Vampire Savior did right with the gameplay, this game did right with the art direction. Playing this game and the original in arcades opened me up to fighting games in a way that SFII failed to, and probably played a huge role in leading me towards a career in graphic design. As much as people like the dark, surreal aesthetic of Vampire Savior, for me, this is the version that struck the hardest with its tone. While Vampire Savior is upfront with its twistedness, this game is more subtle and subversive in it. At a glance it has that bubbly, colourful Disney-element to its art, but when you dive deeper, the little violent touches grate just that much deeper. The slightly slower speed of the game helps show off the elements of the animation better too, and helps differentiate the gameplay further from Vampire Savior (which is why it's still not completely dead in Vampire Savior's wake).
Aulbath (Rikuo) Theme

2) The King of Fighters 2002 Ultimate Match (2009)
After KOFXIII warmed me up to the series, this is the version I came back to and settled on. Game has lots of fun execution quirks, interesting meter management, good pace, lots of critical moments, and just the right amount of wide-spread broken-ish-ness among the cast to really be a riot. All the same perks of KOFXIII, just missing the glam and glitter.
Orochi Shermie Theme: Butterfly Emerges From Chrysalis

3) Skullgirls (2012)
Despite never really enjoying MvC2 or 3's assist-based gameplay, I cannot help but love this game. If it was balanced around a 1v1 meta, it would probably be ranked #4 or 5 for me. I'm very happy to have backed this game, and probably spectate this more than any other game I am not actively trying to compete in besides SFV. Makes me wish that I truly "got" MvC2 and assist-based gameplay back in the day. Can't wait for Skullgirls 2 to be a Vampire Savior-style fighter. :^)
Schmeebop

4) Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)
Maximum nostalgia, down to the finest detail. It's probably the most satisfying ground-footsie-based 2D fighter I've played in terms of feel. I'm not sure what finally did it for me: block-button based defense, the intense pressure game that made chip damage tantamount with mixups, the thrill of the chase rushing down zoners, the overall match flow with playing around Breakers... or, heck, maybe just the satisfying hit-stun and sound effects? This game was vastly under appreciated competitively IMO, and I was sad to see it die off with Injustice and MKX.
Evil Monastery Stage Theme

5) Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side (1995)
People write-off EC:CftDS much too fast, so I should probably go into detail. This Sega CD sequel to the heavily-marketed Genesis original was a huge step up in quality, and played a central role in hooking me on fighting games at a young age. It bombed, yes, but blame the Sega CD for that. Actually sitting down with it, you're presented with: a story with just the right level of camp; character design drawing on all the right archetypes, while still doing its own thing; pumping fight music, well-ahead of its time; tongue-and-cheek gore that more than outdid Midway at its peak; and layers upon layers of just straight up fun with details, cheekiness and hidden content. Somehow today, most people who know of this game know it for its challenging single-player AI. (I could have sworn Maximillian did a Boss Rage video on this, but I'm not finding it on his channel.) Most wrote off the gameplay as overly slow compared to SFII, and as too overtly broken, with the easy infinites and several overpowered special moves options. What I think many missed was the thrill of the maximum ("Overdrive") speed setting—one only available in versus mode. Lately, my local FGC has been experimenting with matches on Overdrive speed, with 45-second, best-3-out-of-5 rounds... and have been having a blast with it! The footsies at that speed can be surprisingly engaging, and the tension is high knowing that every character can convert most pokes into fast-killing infinites. Combined with an interesting resource management system—players start each round with full meter, spend 1/4 to use most special moves, and then only regenerate a stock after several seconds pass by—it's at the very least providing the sort of controlled wildness that Marvel 3 is known for.
Jetta's Theme

Left-overs
  • Blazblue Chrono Phantasma: The game that fixed BB's system mechanics, pace and boring combos. I had a blast learning this game in the months leading up to Evo 2014, & would play the more recent revisions competitively if they didn't crossover with GG so much in my brain
  • Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: As much as the multitudes of parry-based OS's and character balance rub me the wrong way, this was the Street Fighter game that got the visuals, sound, pace and feeling of impact right. I miss kara-throwing in this game
  • Street Fighter IV series: I miss kara-throwing in this series too. I don't really know how I can like a game only because of a single gameplay tidbit, but it got me to buy my first arcade stick, and helped me take the jump into learning all sorts of important execution concepts
  • Tekken 3: Best sound-design of a fighting game I've ever played AND it introduced me to capoeira. Virtua Fighter may fulfill all my 3D fighting needs now, but Tekken 3 and Tag were king up until VF4 dropped
  • Under Night In-Birth EXE Late: I really liked the overall feel of this game, particularly its interesting takes on zoning, normals, defense and some of its character toolsets. Maybe the only non-ArcSys anime fighter that will ever really grab me?
  • Street Fighter V: "Well, they took away my kara-throws, but added a Brazilian who plays kinda like Makoto. Sold." Obrigado, Capcom, for not taking away everything I love.

Hrmmm...better do this one too. Nice variety up above.

Warning: like the RPG and Generation threads, I aint touched, or enough, or recently to give a vote to many other Fighters.

1) Soul Calibur 1

You see jibba jabba about accessibullshit and flashy system creep eating too much at Fighters from opposite ends, but SC1 proves making something that works inherently well will win every time.

2) Virtua Fighter 4: Evo

You also see jibba jabba about training and extra modes (which surprise! isnt reciprocated enough with sales so get companies risking having threadbare training modes), yet VF4 (and Evo) were the proginetors of this noble pursuit. I spent dozens of hours working on Akira and Vanessa in this, plus Kumite was excellent.

The series also does that "feels perfect even though it looks imperfect", and all with 3 buttons!

3) Samurai Shodown II

God this game was nearly perfect at what it was trying to do: take the samurai flick and dueling nature working off the SF2 formula and polish it to a sheen. Great atmosphere (which you dont hear enough of in a Fighter) and variety.

4) Street Fighter 3 (Third Strike)

pHXXVls.gif

Excellent feel, spritework, mechanics, speed, soundtracks, and detail that looked the labor of love it was.

Shame about that striated balance though...

5) Tekken Tag Tournament 1

This runs right up to that line of "touch of death combos" that only Mahvel has crossed without failing miserably. Had a nasty Lei/Nina team of endless tag juggling that was enough to set off salt volcanos in my opponents.

Honorable Mentions

1) Street Fighter V

So damn good to play and look at and listen to despite Capcpom leadershit fuckery and scrub class warfare bullshit.

2) Soul Calibur 2

Some good stuff added, but was less balanced than 1 and 2G kinda broke the game.

Dat Staff Roll though

You're right though, the soundtrack is crap apart from that one track. Good job the gameplay's magic.

no u

Eolz

I guess there's still time to edit some descriptions/commentary in?
Also consider that as a bump for more votes :p

NEO0MJ

Wonder how many voted so far.

Edit: If everyone who posted here contributed we get 92 voters total.

I guess there's still time to edit some descriptions/commentary in?

Yeah, you still have almost 10~12 to fill it up/change details.

Mista Koo

Quoting myself since I finally filled out the details (on a virtual keyboard nonetheless):
1-3 are in no particular order:

1) Soulcalibur V - In its fifth iteration, Soulcalibur gameplay was perfected. The eight way movement is smoother than ever, the super and EX moves fit in naturally, and even the character creation mode is one of the most robust in the industry. Sure some of the fighting styles are missing due to the game being rushed and some people don't like the new cast, but the core gameplay makes up for that.

AzreZajl.jpg

Sleepless -An Untamed Beast- (Soulcalibur V)

2) Rival Schools - Everything in this game oozes style and personality. Every character design stands out. At its core the game plays like a simpler Street Fighter with super jumps and side stepping. However one simple mechanic gives it much more personality: teams. You pick two characters for every match that you can switch between rounds. The second character allows you to perform a cinematic team up attack that is unique to each character.

hBCzWCIl.jpg

On the Rooftop of Taiyo High School (Rival Schools)

3) Soulcalibur II - I couldn't choose between this and Soulcalibur V since I played them during different times. However Soulcalibur II stands out with its cast of characters, and the new additions to the roster add interesting styles with different weapons. Also the game has a plethora of great single player content that Soulcalibur V, and most fighting games for that matter, lack.

hEKPOv5l.png

Confrontation (Soulcalibur II)

4) Jump Ultimate Stars - On its surface this game does what Smash does, a crossover fighter with simple controls, and it's great at that for having an amazing cast of manga and anime characters to choose from. However what makes the game unique is the panels or koma system. Instead of selecting a character, you create a manga page using different types of character panels: playable characters (4+ squares, the characters you will play as), assist characters (2-3 squares, striker characters than can jump in for one attack), and support characters (1 square, passive stat changes or mechanic gains such as air dashing). Before your fights you will be making one of these decks to use on the touch screen during the game.

s5qGOFgl.jpg

Constant Wild Dance (Jump Ultimate Stars)

5) Tekken 3 - This is a fighting game that did a time skip and replaced some of its characters, including the main character, and it's much better for it. It had a mechanically solid core game, a few interesting side modes, and great CG endings for each character. Most importantly it was brave enough to refresh its cast with new ones, most of whom ended up being a permenant stable and include some of the most popular characters in the franchise.

IhDAgNll.jpg

Eddy Gordo (Tekken 3)

Honorable Mentions

1) Guilty Gear Xrd - The most technically and visually impressive fighter out there. Everything in the game is very stylized and every character looks and plays differently. It also has amazing in depth tutorials. Had I played this more I would've moved it to my top 5.
2) Street Fighter V - Despite its lack of content, this is the best Street Fighter for a casual player like me. For once Ryu and Ken don't looks the same! Had I played this more I would've moved it to my top 5.
3) Bushido Blade - A fighter that doesn't do health meters and has decapitation attacks and lethal blows. While it could use more polish to its core systems it is novel enough that it deserves a spot here.
4) Divekick - A two button fighter that strips down the mechanics of fighting games down to the mind games. Too bad the characters and presentation rely too much on inside jokes making it not welcoming nor attractive to mainstream audience or anyone who isn't in on the joke or doesn't think it's funny.
5) Super Smash Bros Wii U - A celebration of Nintendo and gaming legacy and icons. Not my favorite mechanically as a fighter, but it's very polished and mechanically original and full of fan service that it deserves this spot.

6) Mortal Kombat X - I am not a fan of the series, but MKX was a great leap from the previous game. It's visually and artistically the best has every looked. Picking different variations for each character is a great idea too.
7) Killer Instinct - Can't say much, but this is a really fun game that I didn't expect much from since I wasn't very familiar with the series. Oh and its particle effects are so over the top its amazing.
8) Soulcalibur III - Didn't want to give points to three Soulcaliburs, but this one introduced customization and character creations. It also had an interesting side campaign starring and focusing on custom characters, with their own original fighting styles that aren't available for the regular cast.
9) Nidhogg - This is an amazing one on one fencing game that requires defeating your opponent to push forward to one end of the map. If I didn't foolishly hesitate to call it a fighting game it would've been in my top 5.

Eolz

Same, just updated my post, a bit higher on this page :)

I don't think the results will be really surprising, but I'm happy with nearly all the lists in this thread to be honest.

Evilisk

Quoting myself since I finally filled out the details (on a virtual keyboard nonetheless):

I'm glad somebody else mentioned Jump Ultimate Stars

To expand on the unique Koma system, you can basically add as many koma's as you want as long as it fits. In that screenshot provided, the player is running two 5-koma (playable) characters with two 3-koma (assist) characters and several 1-komas (these are more like passive buffs). While it's not bad it's possible to run all different set ups in the game.

Besides that fairly balanced set up, you could do stuff like:

-Have an entire team of five 4-koma characters
-Have an entire team of four 5-koma characters
-Have a team of three 6-koma characters (and one assist or two buffs)
-Have a team of two 8-koma characters (8-koma's are the strongest but obviously take up the most space) and whatever else you want to put
-You couldhave any sort of mixture of the above (two 8's and a 4, two 6's and two 4's etc.)
-Have a team with only one character (weak or strong), but with multiple assists and passive stats

And I think all of the game's systems are great at balancing these setups out.

-An 8-koma team, (or a team with less than 3 playable characters) can be risky because there's a rock paper scissor system that makes even weak characters strong if they're a stronger type than you. 8-koma's also take a very long time to regenerate health if they're KO'd too (which can happen if you're unlucky and fall off/get knocked off stage)

-A 4-koma team can be rather weak, but you have the advantage of switching out at any time and letting characters heal. You also don't take as long to revive/regenerate characters and you can also cover multiple character types.

-An assist oriented team can be pretty strong (there are some really strong assists in the game) but you can only use 1 at a time (and some assists stay out on the field a REALLY long time).

There's just really nothing else like JUS' Koma system.

Neff

Too late since I didn't even know about this thread despite reading NeoGAF almost every day, but I'll throw it in anyway

1. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
2. Street Fighter EX Plus α
3. Tekken 3
4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
5. The King of Fighters '98
6. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
7. Soul Calibur
8. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
9. Tekken 2
10. Marvel vs Capcom

Thores

Just going to dump my votes here before the deadline! I'll add my reasoning if I have time.

1. Street Fighter V
2. Jump Ultimate Stars
3. Chaos Code
4. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
5. Killer Instinct (2013)

6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
7. Mortal Kombat X
8. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3
9. Aquapazza
10. Red Earth

License Card Theme
1.Marvel vs Capcom 3
The game that got me deeper into fighting games. I have always enjoyed fighting games as my favorite but I never really got deep into the system like I did with this one. Beautifully animated and still holds up well today. The amount of creativity and just how well the characters interact kept my interest for all these years.
Cave Theme
2. Marvel vs Capcom 2
The classic can't go wrong with this game right here. I don't know how many quarters I have wasted on this game during my childhood. The first game that I remember playing with a 3v3 tag system that I grew to love still play this game to this day. I wish I knew about the competitive side when it came out.
Wild Soul

3. Dragonball Z Budokai 3
Best DBZ game period imo. The presentation of this game is top-notch from the simple yet dramatic transformations and the over the top ultimates in this game definitely gave me the feel of DBZ. On top of that the music is dope and one of my favorite OSTs for a fighting game plagarism aside.

Moonlit Wilderness
4. Tekken 5
I've spent hours playing this game with my brother back in the day and this game introduced my favorite character in the series, Feng Wei. I feel that this Tekken was the total package and it shined in all aspects from the gameplay, presentation, and the History Mode which let you play the previous Tekken games all the way up to 3.
Joe Budden - Walk With Me
5. Def Jam: Fight for NY
Two of my favorite things collide fighting games and Hip-Hop. This game has stood the test of time for me and I love going through the story mode and seeing some of my favorite artists duke it out to some of my favorite tracks like Method Man's What's Happenin, or Sticky Fingaz Man Up. The game was brutal and it was satisfying to whoop somebody's ass in multiple ways that included using the environment, crowds, and Blazin' moves. Would love to see a sequel closer to this than that one game I won't mention.

Honorable Mentions:
1. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
2. Marvel Super Heroes
3. Power Stone
4. Samurai Showdown 4
5. Street Fighter 5

MikeMyers

1.) Fighters Megamix - Great mix of Sega characters.
2.) Virtua Fighter 3 - Best VF imo. Loved the uneven stages.
3.) Psychic Force - Like the DBZ-feel to it.
4.) Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Best OST in Street Fighter
5.) Vampire Hunter - Always liked the atmosphere of these games.

Top Bottom