• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY 2023 |OT| Results thread

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Welcome to the 2023 NeoGAF Game of the Year results thread. Just like last year, there were a total of 25 categories, and each user was allowed to vote for a single game in each category. Voting was open from December 17th, 2023 through January 17th, 2024. In all, there were thousands of votes cast by the fine users of NeoGAF. Thank you everyone for your participation!

Based on feedback from last year, this year's results will feature the top 3 games in each category being showcased, and the top 10 games in each category listed in order.

Without further ado

Zaq2D7h.png

tmcINRd.png

jQL4xzl.png

E36v548.png

4M9yKRM.png

YjJtaiq.png

7MrGNZp.png

4VzKgZC.png

fimVQBq.png

XD51b0z.png

4jDFlq3.png

UBCjYo3.png

pEIT2Ad.png

bjiiXlD.png

frYnPGx.png

EpvdRxP.png

j4hwmQX.png

zhvvpYe.png

vyHETTC.png

9nrlaIi.png

J3E4A8y.png

4b9oAu8.png

x5jbvnS.png

I6AZmVE.png

YqOaPIW.png

Congratulations to all the winners - and the runners-up! Did your favorite game win? What got shafted? Did the process work okay for everyone, or should we do something different next year? Any categories we missed? Let us know in this thread.

As always, a huge "Thank you" to cormack12 cormack12 for hosting the voting thread, and to Topher Topher for helping out with stuff behind the scenes. Finally, thank you all for voting and giving this a massive turnout this year. We'll see you next year!

Last edited:

gtabro

My two favourite games of 2024 are the forum’s two favourite games and in the same order.
Also as a new member from what I’ve seen this place shares a lot of my views and many people post news immediately after happen so I may hang around. Hope you all have a great 2024.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That top 3 is good for me. I gotta start baldersgate 3.

No Mario wonder, cocoon in the top 10 is bad form but I didn't vote so I can't complain.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

No talos principle 2 and starfield being 5...

Guess I can't trust gafs opinion now either.

I managed to get around to jedi survivor over December and boy is that game just leagues better then almost anything else released last year. Just gameplay/story/production it really is top tier shit and really is overlooked

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Games that respect your time"

Baldurs Gate 3.

4Q73Z7.gif

I am 80~ ish hours into it and that shit doesn't respect your time at all. The only thing it does good for time-constrained folks is that it lets you save in the middle of battles as well in case you need to step away. Otherwise, the pacing and everything else is slow as molasses.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hogwarts being that low is a crime. It should’ve been 4.
Starfield is high at 5. 5 should be Hi-Fi rush or Jedi Survivor. Starfield at 10 with Armored Core removed.

Aside from that, good list.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Surprised Starfield did as well as it did. (I'm a fan, I think it's a good game. I think a lot of the doom and gloom about it is overblown) -- but overall I can't argue this list. BG3 won all the places it should have. It really is a 'Game of the Generation' type game for me.

calistan

Baldurs Gate 3.

4Q73Z7.gif

I am 80~ ish hours into it and that shit doesn't respect your time at all. The only thing it does good for time-constrained folks is that it lets you save in the middle of battles as well in case you need to step away. Otherwise, the pacing and everything else is slow as molasses.
Major choice to make during long cutscene? Save at any point. As far as I'm concerned that's respecting your time.

Doom85

Baldur’s Gate continues to dominate! Love to see it!

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

One thing that confuses me: how the hell does Lies of P do pretty well at #7 for Best Game of the Year, but then not manage to make the Top 10 RPGs list?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Thank God a proper overall winner that won't be mocked. I thought the vote should have been taken off us for the Halo: Infinite year.

cormack12

Gold Member
Gollum was robbed on Gamepass. I guess that was a comedy vote because BG3 wasn't on Xbox at first though.

I actually don't think it's a bad list. I think the days of small unknown games cementing high places on these lists has gone. If they are going to break in then I think you need a really strong PC gaming presence and we just don't have that here, not many places tbh.

Good to see Jusant and F1 place in their respective categories. I did think Alan Wakes soundtrack was legit though, with the actual songs and Old Gods of Asgard stuff.

I'm just finishing up FFVII and have FFXVI in the queue. Glad to see it gets such good praise although might need a break between them

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Amazing to see Quake 2 in the list. id really knocked it out the part with that run of Doom, DooM2, Quake and Quake2. Hell Quake 3 is underrated.

Also if this is the switched last year what a way to go out
Peace Out Reaction GIF

CashPrizes

Solid results, good voting everyone!

I voted for Darkest Dungeon II in a ton of categories (hardest game, Most Underrated, visual style) but obviously not a lot of people on Gaf playing it.

BG3 should have won best Soundtrack as well. Very happy it on best character design and value. It definitely SHOULD NOT have won "should have been on Gamepass." Larian would have missed out on like hundreds of millions of dollars if it had been on Gamepass, Microsoft wrote it off as a Stadia RPG and were totally lowballing Larian for how much they would pay them per download.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Baldurs Gate 3.

4Q73Z7.gif

never plays crpgs waiting to take turns what the dont even understand this crud

TOTK has won goty in my souls I am known for my top industries opionions

Psybear.jpg

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Not sure why everyone gave an incorrect answer to the first question, since it is an undeniable scientific fact that Armored Core 6 is the GOTY 2023, but I'm happy to see some seemingly unpopular choices on mine listed elsewhere.

Nice job guys.

Baldurs Gate 3.

4Q73Z7.gif

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a game respecting my time is more about expectations around the output from my time as input, no?

Not that one is necessarily constrained by time.

For example, if FF16 has me walk 2 miles and engage 10 different monsters, only to reward me with a chest filled with 5 Gil, I'm losing my shit.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Baldurs Gate 3.

4Q73Z7.gif

The way I see it, BG3 doesn't rely at all on copy-pasted content, as every single combat encounter is unique and each area of the map hand-crafted; you can skip quite a lot of that content and still get to level 12 for the final major fights of Act 3; and the ability to pause, create unlimited saves, and retry rolls by savescumming is a nice boon for players who don't feel like repeating entire fights or doing additional playthroughs to see alternate outcomes. It's a long game, sure, but it doesn't feel bloated or needlessly large (unlike, for example, Elden Ring). Every minute feels worthwhile.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
So much stuff to play this year. I especially need to find out what this Lies of P game is, I must have snoozed through an Xbox or Sony direct to completely miss it

No talos principle 2 and starfield being 5...

Guess I can't trust gafs opinion now either.

I managed to get around to jedi survivor over December and boy is that game just leagues better then almost anything else released last year. Just gameplay/story/production it really is top tier shit and really is overlooked
Yea and it ran like dog shit. Still does on PC.

Top Bottom