• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY 2023 |OT| Results thread

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Thrilled to see my personal GOTY, Alan Wake II, make the top 3.

I will say that Hi-Fi Rush and Dead Space got robbed though!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bloody SonyGaf at it again.

Dave Chappelle Smirk GIF

cHua9fd.jpg

Mozzarella

Good list, lacks Phantom Liberty DLC in the top 10 though, i think its really good, and its voice acting should be top 3.
But yeah overall great list, great year for gaming!!

Baldur's Gate 3 is such a deserving winner i never thought it would win GOTY at the start of the year but look at it now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There must be a very silent group of Starfield fans.

Jusant #2 for best platformer?? Are you people drunk? 😂

Last edited:

Moriah20

Starfield at #5 surprised me. I found the game to be dreadfully boring and disappointing overall as a fan (or, well, ex-fan at this point) of BGS games. But I guess there's still a lot of people that enjoy it.
FF16 had a lot of warts and all but it was probably the most fun I had with videogames in 2023. The highs were super high, and the gamefeel was great. Really need a PC version though for high framerates.

Shoutout to Hogwarts Legacy though, the game definitely lost a lot of momentum once you started spending most of your time outside hogwarts itself, but it was still quite good overall. However, the shoutout is mainly for the fact that it caused such a shitstorm despite being one of the most innocent, well-meaning AAA games released in a while. Like genuinely the game is family friendly, progressive, inclusive, accessible, yet somehow it caused weirdos to have meltdowns as if it was Mein Kampf: the videogame.

Ribi

Atomic heart not even getting top 10 in visuals and trepang2 not getting top 10 in shooter tells me all of you people are bought by Jeff.

Because there was a large list of games to choose from and many people didn't know how to search and that the list contained games that were eligible. I would like to see two votes, one that narrows it down to top 20-30 based on votes and then the final vote for the top 10.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Surprised to see Starfield so high up on this board. Maybe I need to erase my ignore list, I rarely see anyone talk positively about it.

Was my GOTY of course. Going by playtime nothing was even close.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Surprised to see Starfield so high up on this board. Maybe I need to erase my ignore list, I rarely see anyone talk positively about it.

Was my GOTY of course. Going by playtime nothing was even close.
Vocal few try to ruin things for others. Happening with Indiana Jones now too. Best to keep the ignore list strong.

bender

What time is it?
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Re:Incarnation not sweeping the awards? GAF members are filthy casuals, confirmed!

Good job on putting this together.

adamsapple

Drop the sad console Warring persecution complex.
But where are the fans if it manage to reach #5 here? Lurkers?

Half the people in the games review or OT threads complaining about it didn't even play it, that's a very safe bet.

The people who played or enjoyed it, a lot of them likely stayed out of those threads because of the constant barrage of negative posts.

adamsapple

cole-phelps-la-noire.gif

90% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Considering the barrier of entry for trying the game was incredibly low (available on Game Pass and Steam refunds are a breeze), I'm going to say you are full of shit.

The game being at the spot it is on Gaf's rankings despite the vitriol kinda shows my point though. People voted for it.

bender

What time is it?
The game being at the spot it is on Gaf's rankings despite the vitriol kinda shows my point though. People voted for it.

No, it doesn't. People are far more apt to complain than they are to praise. It's basic human nature. Halo Infinite saw similar discourse in discussion threads and won GAF's GOTY.

adamsapple

No, it doesn't. People are far more apt to complain than they are to praise. It's basic human nature. Halo Infinite saw similar discourse in discussion threads and won GAF's GOTY.

But that's exactly what I'm saying as well lol. The very vocal minority did not represent the masses, but it was extremely notable.

adamsapple

No, you are saying that half of the people who levied criticism against it didn't play the game which is horseshit.

I'm not gonna go through each of the 130+ pages of the review topic, but you can't tell me with a straight face that the same 4, 5 users who kept popping up counting down every .1 the meta dropped were folks who played the game.

Null Persp

Starfield in the top five, I'm surprised, I thought everyone here hated this game.
Btw people are sleeping on System Shock, one of the best of the last year.

Ribi

DoDonPachi-Blissful-Death-Re-Incarnation-Dated_08-10-23_001.jpg

It and World of Horror should have been top 2 in that category.
I would have voted for this if I knew it existed. See that's why I think we should have 2 votes. One to narrow it down and then a final vote. As it is now you have to manually search through the manually put together list and just look for popular games and some you don't even member that they came out this year. If this game was in the top 30 I could choose from I'd vote for it but because I had no idea what was available or good I just voted for Hogwarts instead for cover art.

bender

What time is it?
I would have voted for this if I knew it existed. See that's why I think we should have 2 votes. One to narrow it down and then a final vote. As it is now you have to manually search through the manually put together list and just look for popular games and some you don't even member that they came out this year. If this game was in the top 30 I could choose from I'd vote for it but because I had no idea what was available or good I just voted for Hogwarts instead for cover art.

I think the "problem" with two votes is that you can feel cheated if your choice doesn't make it to the second round. The free form system we have now let's everyone have an equal vote. I think our system works for most categories as most categories expect you have first hand experience with them. Box art would be an outlier as it doesn't really pertain to the quality and you don't need to play the game to appreciate it.

I'm mostly a goofball when it comes to the stuff and my tastes are probably abnormal so the fact that my favorite game cracked the top 10 of any list makes me happy (even if it should have been the best shooter). Junji Ito getting snubbed does hurt my heart circuits a little.

950590_front.jpg

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Best overall value:

Bg3
Zelda
Starfield

It seems like nobody has voted in this category so Starfield has quietly occupied the third place due to those voted for it in every category lol.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I’m curious how many accounts voted that aren’t otherwise all that active 🤔 but anyone who pays attention on GAF knew Starfield was going to do well in the GOTY polling because this place is not ‘SonyGAF’ like the Xbox evangelist types like to complain about (if that wasn’t already obvious from Halo Infinite‘s win in 2021)

edit: I didn’t vote because I’ve been more in my backlog this year, of the 2023 games I did play Starfield might make the top 10 mostly because of lack of having gotten to a lot of the other games that did make the top ten here, I think it’s a solid good but not great game that disappointed me but from what i played I think the 7/10 IGN gave it is fair, I might even give it higher than that myself)

Last edited:

graywolf323

Funny how folks want it both ways, ain't it?
honestly I think it’s just part of the wider victim complex issue we’ve seen across our civilization, everyone wants to be a victim now (just look at the nuts on Era), for some reason in gaming this is especially rife among Xbox fanboys complaining that poor little Microsoft is persecuted by the press/gamers/PlayStation/etc. (nvm the fact if anything the Western gaming press has been much closer to sycophantic when it comes to their Xbox coverage, if they dare say anything remotely critical of Xbox or give Starfield a 7/10 it’s ‘proof’ of the persecution)

edit: social media as a whole has led to the rise of people wanting echo chambers where they don’t hear anything they might disagree with, Reddit/Era/Twitter/etc. are absolutely awful with this (Twitter‘s algorithm especially seems to put people in self-created echo chambers which we’re seeing causes people to radicalize rather easily)

Last edited:
By the way is this the first RPG to win GAF Game of the Year? Based on what i saw all the previous winners were either Action/Adventure or Action RPG.
I checked the past 20 winners and while rpgs can score high and sometimes even come in 2nd place, this is the 1st rpg to win Game of the Year unless you want to stretch the definition to count games like Zelda and Mass Effect 2 as rpgs

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Great results, can’t argue with any of them. Good job, GAF!

Top Bottom