• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME IS.....................................

killatopak

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

4898c4cfecd7b93123a54684e6ef39d2c1d729f2.jpg
ZoAnIif.jpg

Dazraell

I have plenty of games I would nominate, but I feel The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is the one I would call the best of all time

Witcher 3
Fallout 3
Planescape Torment...

I was also very partial to Ultima Underworld II and System Shock back in the day. JRPGs suck, although I did love Eternal Sonata and am currently playing FFVII Remake on the Steam Deck which I'm enjoying.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like this one a lot! I played this one after a big breakup, by the time I was done, I forgot who the bitch was.
Lmao.
First song from YT playlist. For all you gamers who never played it, best soundtrack ever. Like 99% of you, I never listened to any of this 1950s barbershop music growing up, so it was really cool to listen to in a game.

Side note: Fallout 4 music is awesome too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Mozzarella

Truth is, it's like you said: it becomes a popularity contest.
How many people have even played a considerable amount of japanese, european and american RPGs?
As far as I know, Gaf is biased toward JRPGs.

Look at RPGCodex Top voted list (2019) for instance, how many of these even got mentioned here?
RPGCodex :sick:(n)💩🤮🤮

Dunno if I can say it's the best (yet) because there are more I need to play, but I can say Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete is definitely one of the hardest.

The first few hours aren't actually that tough and many of the early boss fights are easier than the dungeons they're set in (IMO). But the last third of the normal game does start building up the difficulty, then there's the entirety of Zophar's Keep and Zophar himself. Somehow they made him a lot harder in EBC than the regular Sega/Mega CD version (which was already hard for that boss fight, though maybe in ways also a bit harder because of quirks like the split inventory for each character in the party).

The Epilogue though? Yeah, this is probably where it being considered a hard game comes from. Even the easiest of the Epilogue dungeons is very challenging because you're afraid to flee battles lest you fail and take tons of damage (with multiple characters probably getting KO'd), then the damn harpies can try Charming the whole party...and these are just regular enemies! Even the boss fight for the easiest of the Epilogue dungeons is kind of like the Zophar fight, because they summon 3-4 powerful minions before you can kill the talisman summoning them and the summons still stay and fight (oh, and it buffs their attack strength ridiculously high, too).

But I'd much rather have a "hard" RPG (JRPG in this case) that makes you pay attention to each battle and be considerate of your resources; Lodoss-tou Senki for the Super Famicom is similar (and has a very cool battle system).

Tough call. The first game that popped in my head was shinning force 2 so I'll go with that.

Still have to play Scenarios 2 and 3, but Shining Force 3 would probably be on my short list for best RPGs ever, FWIW.

Panzer Dragoon Saga

One I need to finish. Didn't get to Disc 2, but I've been waiting for long enough so the first parts feel fresh again.

Which, that time's been arrived. But I've gotten to playing other RPGs in the meantime. I'll return to PDS sometime soon for sure. The atmosphere in that game is otherworldly.

Also it 100% deserves a remake (with the original team would be best).

Last edited:

Ogbert

The fact that only one person has mentioned Ocarina of Time concerns me a great deal.

It’s blatantly OoT. It’s in its own league, completely removed from any other game ever created.

Bad NeoGaf.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
xenogears, but only in the timeline where Takahashi was given enough money and time to complete it.

Top Bottom