• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF GOTY 2023 |OT| Voting thread

I think this is my final draft. Wish I've played more 2023 games, but I will say that I'm more than content with everything on this list:

Game of the YearThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Action GameDiablo IV
Best Adventure GameThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best RPGOctopath Traveler II
Best PlatformerJusant
Best ShooterRemnant 2
Best Sports GameFootball Manager 2024
Best Fighting GameStreet Fighter 6
Best Indie GameDredge
Best Multiplayer GameDiablo IV
Best Remake or RemasterStar Ocean: The Second Story R
Best Visual StyleSlay the Princess
Best SoundtrackOctopath Traveler II
Best UI or HUD designThe Invincible
Best Voice ActingSlay the Princess
Best Box ArtWorld of Horror
Best character designMaster Detective Archives: Rain Code
Best Overall ValueDiablo IV
Most Underrated GameCoffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly
Most Difficult GameLords of the Fallen

Edit: Ah shit, forgot to actually post the box art for the game I've picked for that specific category:

VQUN5_SQ1_0000000088_NO_COLOR_SLf

Last edited:

Sakura

Topher

Gold Member
My friends were kind of mixed on Octopath Traveler 1 and I never got around to it. How did you like the 1st game and how does Octo 2 compare?

I loved the first game. The second is better in just about every way. Although, full disclosure, I haven't finished it. But I've played enough to know that the game play elements are definitely improved as are aspects of exploration. But what was great about the first game and really made it stand out were the stories, characters, voice acting and the music. All that has been brought forward. Really....just a fantastic game.

I loved the first game. The second is better in just about every way. Although, full disclosure, I haven't finished it. But I've played enough to know that the game play elements are definitely improved as are aspects of exploration. But what was great about the first game and really made it stand out were the stories, characters, voice acting and the music. All that has been brought forward. Really....just a fantastic game.
Think I will find the first one cheap and start there

Punished Miku

Gold Member
q0fbH14.png

Commentary:
  • The category that was surprisingly difficult was best shooter. I just haven't been able to play all the shooters I want. Still didn't get to Robocop or Trepang 2. El Paso Elsewhere I am playing though, and it deserves a nod. Fantastic atmosphere, creative audio and art design, and just non-stop action.
  • I struggled immensely with best indie, and Jusant and Cocoon are virtually tied. I had a different opinion each day for the last 2 weeks. Jusant edged it out because of the OST and the ambition of making a 3D platformer. And the game is published by Dontnod themselves.
  • I didn't play any fighting game this year but Party Animals, but I gave Street Fighter the nod anyway.
  • I struggled immensely with best visual style between Bayonetta Origins and Hi-Fi Rush. I had to give it to Hi-Fi Rush because literally every single element of it is fantastic. Bayonetta has moments of true artistic and visual brilliance like I've rarely seen, but it also has a few drab cutscenes with still animations so they really only dropped to 2nd place because of that. Hi-Fi Rush earned the win. 3rd place would be Starfield with some of the most phenomenal art design I've ever seen in a game. The suits, the guns, the ships, the menus, all of it in that brilliant Atari / NASA punk aesthetic. The art book that came with the game is great. 4th place would be Atomic Heart.
  • Wanted: Dead takes best voice acting of the year due to the incredibly unique and hilariously memorable thick German accent on Hannah Stone, and the comedic quips from the rest of the team. From cutscene #1, I was just kind of dumbfounded on what I was hearing. By the end of the game I loved the whole team. Starfield takes #2 spot in voice acting. It's all well done and there's just so damn much of it. It's also by far the most pleasantly diverse game I've ever played, ever. I heard major NPC dialogue in German, British, African, US, French, Chinese, Indian, Russian accents frequently and they seemed fairly authentic. It seems like they took the criticism of Oblivion having 10 voice actors for the whole game and went as far as they possibly could to really mix up the voice work, with casting from around the world. It was great. I also think Barret and Sarah had great voice work throughout the game. The Hunter as well, and the Collector.
  • I struggled with best UI. It's the only area where I let other people's commentary get to me for a week or two. I know people supposedly hate the Starfield UI and downloaded mods quickly, so I figured it must be bad. But I just kept searching inward for my own sincere opinion, and it's by far the best UI I encountered this year. Every single level from 1-100 has unique iconography designs for the Constellation patch. 100 designs. Every perk has 4 unique illustrations, and these patches appear in game on your teammates' suits. Kiosk menus were bright and well designed with cool colors. I like the initial status menu split into 5ths in a circular pattern. I like the quest log, and it's very easy to follow since its broken into sections. I love how the star map shows iconography for every planet and moon when you hover over the name, and they get filled in with color as they are scanned. I love the Atari / 1970s rainbow color splashes on the survey menus. Another nice touch is how you can hold B at any time to fully exit the menu UI, instead of having to hit B 4x when you're deep in sub-menus. There's room for improvement, but I didn't honestly see a better one this year.
  • Viewfinder was basically completely invisible this year and would have really benefitted from Gamepass, so that was my pick.
  • Game that deserves a sequel was virtually a tie between Hi-Fi Rush and Bayonetta Origins.
  • Making of Karateka is by far the best remake of the year. Digital Eclipse continues to run laps around anyone making remaster / remake content. They're charting their own genre at this point; Criterion Collection style museum pieces.
  • Struggled with box art but had to give it to Wanted: Dead. The hot pink cover was fun, and the game came out on Valentine's day. I loved it. And there's a cat on it. There's also different artwork for US and Japan, and the Collector's Edition had nice artwork as well.
  • Best action game was easily Wanted: Dead. Beat it 7x and will beat it more. The true successor to Ninja Gaiden 2. Runner up is Hi-Fi Rush. 3rd place is Lies of P, which is so much better than I expected.
  • OST and Game of the Year wasn't really even close for me. Starfield by a mile. My favorite song of the year was Constellation. I've written enough about both throughout the year to explain in incredible detail why this is my choice. #2 GOTY for me was Zelda.
  • If I could add a category it would be Game that Made You Cry. Happened to me one time this year while playing Hi-Fi Rush. Near the end of the game when you finally resurface in the main city and the bright colors all pop and the the Joy Formidable song kicks in. The tone of the notes just matches the brightness and optimism of the moment, the song is chopped up to sync to various checkpoints flawlessly, and they throw in a cool boss fight and some feel good moments for the team. It's not sad, it's not even that emotional. It just hit me how flawlessly done literally every aspect of it was all at once, and my eyes got a bit misty. Not sad tears but "holy shit this is just so good I'm overwhelmed" tears.

Last edited:
What a year! Here are my picks. I omitted a few categories where I didn't play anything and added some categories like "best dlc." I'll try to post a top 10 list before the deadline.

GAME OF THE YEAR
hQmiWNn.jpg

Lies of P

Runners up: Resident Evil 4, Baldur's Gate 3

BEST ACTION GAME
lDQXNr5.jpg

Lies of P
Runners up: Resident Evil 4, The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

BEST RPG
eAyaZ25.jpg

Baldur's Gate 3

Runner up: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed

BEST PLATFORMER
2lfpAhP.jpg

Super Mario Wonder

BEST STRATEGY GAME
4FsNJlo.jpg

Pikmin 4

Runners up: Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 5 Tactica

BEST FIGHTING GAME
eJXtFl0.jpg

Street Fighter 6

BEST INDIE GAME
lVSWEXp.jpg

Double Dragon Gaiden Rise of the Dragons

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
WWfjaNB.jpg

Baldur's Gate 3

BEST DLC
37jecjD.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed

Runner up: Resident Evil 4 Separate Ways

BEST REMAKE
Vx4a6Cu.jpg

Resident Evil 4

BEST REMASTER
9fOzdLi.jpg

Metroid Prime Remastered

BEST VISUAL STYLE
phjGEm9.jpg

Final Fantasy XVI

Runners up: Resident Evil 4, Lies of P

BEST SOUNDTRACK

Final Fantasy XVI

Runners up:

Baldur's Gate 3

BEST UI OR HUD DESIGN
gZiAxkX.jpg

Persona 5 Tactica

BEST VOICE ACTING
wkcn1u7.jpg

Baldur's Gate 3

Runners up: Final Fantasy XVI, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed

BEST BOX ART
ZK4q95g.jpg

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

BEST CHARACTER DESIGN
mr8oLV3.jpg

Runners up: Street Fighter 6, Lies of P

BEST OVERALL VALUE
Xt72tzh.jpg

Runner up: Baldur's Gate 3

MOST UNDERRATED GAME
bKr8BNk.jpg

Runners up: Pikmin 4, Lies of P

MOST DIFFICULT GAME
QC8etuC.jpg

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

GAME THAT RESPECTS YOUR TIME
LtYz6Qc.jpg

Lies of P

GAME THAT DESERVES A SEQUEL
J19Yhlb.jpg

BEST FIRST HOUR OF PLAY
khuohPA.jpg

Resident Evil 4

Last year's Picks

• Making of Karateka is by far the best remake of the year. Digital Eclipse continues to run laps around anyone making remaster / remake content. They're charting their own genre at this point; Criterion Collection style museum pieces.
I'm a fan of the original so I looked up some video but I don't understand...is it a remake or documentary or maybe both at the same time?

Best DLC should definitely be on the ballot next year. I would also include Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores as a nomination for '23
Yeah I think it works as a category. People talk sometimes about how they miss AA games, some of these DLC are so large they're like a short but full game. That's the case with Separate Ways from REm4ke and Future Redeemed from Xenoblade 3. GOW Valhalla DLC may be like that as well, I haven't played but people seem to like it

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I didn't want to make a decision without playing Baldur's Gate 3, but because I haven't experienced the emotions created by Zelda in a game for a long time, I confidently used all my votes for Zelda. I can understand why those who played Breath of the Wild first might not have been highly impressed, but those who played Tales of the Kingdom first are in for an extraordinary adventure.

I thoroughly enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2(and Baldurs Gate 2). I can guess what to expect from BG 3 and there's no doubt that a long and beautiful adventure awaits me in 2024. But this Zelda game definitely something else.

TwiztidElf

I have voted through the form in the categories I felt I could vote in.

My thoughts:
Personal GOTY: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Runner Up: Street Fighter 6
HM: Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon

Games that might have made my list if I'd played them:
Persona 5 Tactica (I've just started it)
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty
Balders Gate 3
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

zenspider

Trombone Champ, Wonder, TOTK, and a pack of shmups.
Great year for my gaming, but I spent most of it in retro arcade games and online multiplayer.
Bigger titles disappointed — AC6 (barely touched) and Remnant II (slog for the first hours)— but really that’s my tastes changing more than a knock on the games themselves.

Trombone Champ, Wonder, TOTK, and a pack of shmups.
Great year for my gaming, but I spent most of it in retro arcade games and online multiplayer.
Bigger titles disappointed — AC6 (barely touched) and Remnant II (slog for the first hours)— but really that’s my tastes changing more than a knock on the games themselves.
If you like from style games you should try out lies of p

James Sawyer Ford's selections:

Game of the Year Final Fantasy XVI
Best Action Game Resident Evil 4
Best Adventure Game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best RPG Final Fantasy XVI
Best Platformer Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best Shooter Dead Space
Best Indie Game Cocoon
Best Remake or Remaster Dead Space
Best Visual Style Hi-Fi Rush
Best Soundtrack Final Fantasy XVI
Best Box Art Hi-Fi Rush
Best character design Final Fantasy XVI
Most Underrated Game Final Fantasy XVI
'It should have been on Gamepass' Starfield
Game that respects your time Resident Evil 4
Game that deserves a sequel Hi-Fi Rush
Best first hour of gameplay Final Fantasy XVI

zenspider

If you like from style games you should try out lies of p
It’s on my wishlist! I put like 300+ hours into Elden Ring, then played Sekiro for a third time — all great — then the Wo Long demo made me burnt out on the genre lol. I keep hearing great things about Lies and really dig the presentation. Next sale I’ll grab it :)

I also got over the tutorial hump in Remnant II, so I’d like to give it another chance soon.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Voting on Starfield whenever possible since I’ve played that by far the most. Then some Cocoon here and there on indie and UI and visuals and first hour, and Baldur’s Gate 3 on some smaller awards like difficulty, and Zelda TOTK and Mario Wonder on the obvious ones.

Random thoughts: I wish I would’ve played more Hogwarts. No votes possible. Would’ve probably enjoyed Spider-Man 2 as well but waiting for PC, same goes for FFXVI. Biggest surprise for me was Loop Hero, very unique game. Biggest disappointment was Benedict Fox, looked so good in trailers and metroidvania is my genre, but nah.

GHG

Voting on Starfield whenever possible since I’ve played that by far the most. Then some Cocoon here and there on indie and UI and visuals and first hour, and Baldur’s Gate 3 on some smaller awards like difficulty, and Zelda TOTK and Mario Wonder on the obvious ones.

Random thoughts: I wish I would’ve played more Hogwarts. No votes possible. Would’ve probably enjoyed Spider-Man 2 as well but waiting for PC, same goes for FFXVI. Biggest surprise for me was Loop Hero, very unique game. Biggest disappointment was Benedict Fox, looked so good in trailers and metroidvania is my genre, but nah.

Loop hero came out a few years ago FYI.

GHG

Yeah I know it’s not eligible but it arrived on Xbox last year and on Gamepass. Strange game that really surprised me in how it plays.

Yeh it's got a surpsing amount of depth. It's always been one of my go-to's on the deck.

Interfectum

It was a great year for games:

Best Action GameMarvel's Spider-Man 2
Best Adventure GameThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best RPGBaldur's Gate 3
Best PlatformerSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best ShooterRoboCop: Rogue City
Best Sports GameFootball Manager 2024
Best Fighting GameMortal Kombat 1
Best Indie GameSea of Stars
Best Multiplayer GameStreet Fighter 6
Best Remake or RemasterSuper Mario RPG
Best Visual StyleOctopath Traveler II
Best SoundtrackFinal Fantasy XVI
Best UI or HUD designOctopath Traveler II
Best Voice ActingFinal Fantasy XVI
Best Box ArtOctopath Traveler II
Best character designFinal Fantasy XVI
Best Overall ValueBaldur's Gate 3
Most Underrated GameOctopath Traveler II
Most Difficult GameBaldur's Gate 3
'It should have been on Gamepass'Starfield
Game that respects your timeSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Game that deserves a sequelSea of Stars
Game I bought, but didn't playPikmin 4
Best first hour of gameplayFinal Fantasy XVI

Last edited:

Interfectum

I hesitated to put Spider-Man 2 on my list at all. I'm so torn on that game. On one hand I had a blast playing it and it kept me going all the way to the platinum trophy. On the other hand I felt this invisible fire poker constantly at my side poking me with elementary level moral lessons of the day and they constantly shit on Peter Parker as if he should feel bad for who he is. I almost had to put the game down during the MJ and Peter battle. Had he said "I'm sorry" a few more times I definitely would have.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeh it's got a surpsing amount of depth. It's always been one of my go-to's on the deck.
Depth and just plain unique gameplay.
Bought it on Steam awhile back, didn’t know it was good on Steam Deck too, not verified but will try it out.

darrylgorn

Ok, ok, last change, I swear.

Game of the YearBaldur's Gate 3
Best Action GameMonster Hunter Rise
Best Adventure GameThe Talos Principle 2
Best RPGBaldur's Gate 3
Best PlatformerBit.Trip Rerunner
Best ShooterQuake II - Enhanced Edition
Best Sports GameForza Motorsport
Best Indie GameShadows of Doubt
Best Multiplayer GameLethal Company
Best Remake or RemasterSystem Shock
Best Visual StyleHi-Fi Rush
Best SoundtrackBaldur's Gate 3
Best UI or HUD designBaldur's Gate 3
Best Voice ActingBaldur's Gate 3
Best Box ArtBaldur's Gate 3
Best character designBaldur's Gate 3
Most Underrated GameAge of Wonders 4
Most Difficult GameThe Talos Principle 2
'It should have been on Gamepass'My Time at Sandrock
Game that respects your timeQuake II - Enhanced Edition
Game that deserves a sequelLost Eidolons
Game I bought, but didn't playTemtem: Showdown
Best first hour of gameplayOnly Up!

Last edited:
FinalBossWithTheMostPower's selections:

Best Action GameCyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Best Adventure GameBaldur's Gate 3
Best RPGBaldur's Gate 3
Best PlatformerSuper Mario Bros. Wonder
Best ShooterCall of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Best Sports GameNBA 2K24
Best Indie GameSystem Shock
Best Multiplayer GameCall of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Best Remake or RemasterResident Evil 4
Best Visual StyleThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best SoundtrackBaldur's Gate 3
Best UI or HUD designThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Voice ActingBaldur's Gate 3
Best Box ArtStarfield
Best character designThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Most Underrated GameArmored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
Most Difficult GameArmored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
'It should have been on Gamepass'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Game that respects your timeBaldur's Gate 3
Game that deserves a sequelCyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Game I bought, but didn't playAlan Wake II
Best first hour of gameplayBaldur's Gate 3

I didn't play many 2023 games (yet) so I don't have that many different games on the list.

Salmon Snake's selections:
Game of the YearAlan Wake II
Best Action GameArmored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
Best Adventure GameAlan Wake II
Best RPGFinal Fantasy XVI
Best PlatformerBlasphemous 2
Best ShooterQuake II - Enhanced Edition
Best Sports GameEA Sports UFC 5
Best Fighting GameTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Best Indie GameTrepang2
Best Multiplayer GameTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Best Remake or RemasterDead Space
Best Visual StyleAlan Wake II
Best SoundtrackAlan Wake II
Best UI or HUD designClick to Vote
Best Voice ActingAlan Wake II
Best Box ArtTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Best character designAlan Wake II
Best Overall ValueResident Evil 4
Most Underrated GameRoboCop: Rogue City
Most Difficult GameArmored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
'It should have been on Gamepass'Trepang2
Game that respects your timeDead Space
Game that deserves a sequelAlan Wake II
Game I bought, but didn't playTrepang2
Best first hour of gameplayResident Evil 4

MidEvlDed

The post says that the deadline for voting is January 17, but when I click the voting link, it says the deadline for voting has passed. It's possible I'm just dumb, but am I doing something wrong, or was the deadline actually before January 17?

KiuvzkU.jpg

The post says that the deadline for voting is January 17, but when I click the voting link, it says the deadline for voting has passed. It's possible I'm just dumb, but am I doing something wrong, or was the deadline actually before January 17?
Oh no! I wanted to tweak mine a bit. How long do we have until the thread closes?

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member

KiuvzkU.jpg
Sorry, there was a bug in the code that accidentally closed it early. It's been fixed, and voting is open now until the actual stated deadline.

MidEvlDed

Made my selections. I didn't feel too strongly about certain categories, like soundtrack or visual style, but I made some choices anyway. I didn't play enough (or any) sports, fighting, or indie games to make a selection in those categories.

Starfield is my GOTY, even though there's been a lot of negativity about it. It is basically just more Fallout, but that just means it's more of a style of game that I really enjoy, and I put over 100+ hours into it.

Another game I feel is worth mentioning is Remnant 2, which is an awesome Dark Souls style game, but as a 3rd person shooter. I'm not sure how active the community is anymore, but when it first released, this game was a lot of fun. You could always go through it 100% solo, but the co-op was a huge part of what made this game great.

Lastly, the other game I want to mention is Star Trek: Resurgence. The graphics kind of suck but the story is really entertaining. I'm not a Star Trek fan at all either. If you like this kind of Telltale style adventure game, or you're a Star Trek fan, then definitely check it out. I enjoyed it more than The Expanse game, even though the graphics in The Expanse are significantly better. I did enjoy The Expanse as well, but it's hard to recommend if you're not already a fan of that series.

l89ZzJM.jpg

Mozzarella

As we get closer to finishing the vote i want to comment on something; I want to say that this form of voting is way better than the older one where you had to list a top 10 and then it awards them points, that one was lame and heavily favored popular games, making the entire thing lose its value imo.
By doing this voting system, you pick one game for GOTY and thats it only the one game you wanted to award, and then if you want to give other games a shoutout then you list them in other categories.
In the older system a game where most people played will somehow get in the top 10 list giving it free points, because its highly popular so the chance of it appearing on a list is high and thus it gets a lot of points this way.
Though that doesn't mean that the old voting system is completely bust, it can work if you make more adjustments for placements and points given, but at that point it becomes such a headache, so yeah the new system looks to be better.

If i had to nitpick it would be that i think some categories can be changed, some removed and some added but thats another subject for another time, I'd love for a recognition to best world/level design next year.

Last edited:
2023 will never be equaled. The sheer volume of high profile, high quality releases we got this year can't be replicated in a future of increasing war and economic hardship. Factor in the same corpo and government besties responsible for those issues increasingly censoring and mandating entertainment to enforce a top-down "morality" and the future of gaming looks downright bleak.

But we're at the peak now, and there will still be a lot of great games over the next few years as we ride down that crest, so why not savour the moment and enjoy this wondrous hobby?
DYWQt0x.jpg

1. Lies of P - [PS5] I don’t do soulslikes. I’m a soul man down to the deepest depths of my being, if you cut me I bleed Boletaria, I leak Lordran and I urinate Yarnham. I really need to drink more water. Point is, I’m so into souls that I’d much rather be replaying one of FromSoft’s running streak of games of the year than some inelegant imitation. Ain’t nobody got time for souls knockoffs forever doomed to live in the shadow of the nerdtree.

I suppose I better clarify here what I even mean when I say “soulslike.” If you think Souls is a Jrpg go play with this colouring book and crayons, but if you know souls games are their own type of action rpg, a subgenre of 3rd person action games defined by their own unique features that actually have more in common with Zelda than they do something like dragon quest, you won’t have trouble understanding where I’m coming from. And if your retort to that is that Zelda is also a Jrpg, then you actually shoved all those crayons up your nose and are no longer with us. Umbasa. What's going on? Is this a twilight zone episode where I woke up and nobody can tell what a Jrpg is anymore? Perhaps I somehow platinumed Dark Souls while completely missing the part where a sword wielding teenager with impossible hair used the corny-ass power of friendship to kill God? I'm losing my mind up in here.

fuYxwiI.jpg

The truth about P is, it’s not a soulslike. That’s because it’s too much LIKE souls to be a soulslike, which is a category of wannabe imitators that never quite feel worthy of the comparison because of stiffer movement, clunkier combat, lamer levels, boring bosses - you get the picture.

I love the souls “parry” mechanic, where a high risk precision deflection earns you the high reward of satisfyingly slaughtering your opponent with a brutal riposte. But Fromsoft have gradually nerfed parrying over the years so much that by Elden Ring, you u can no longer reflexively parry an attack as it lands but instead must parry at the start of your enemies swing. Also, bosses sometimes need 2 or even 3 parries to earn a riposte, and riposte damage is relatively modest compared to what it once was - you’ll usually get much better damage using a good weapon art.

bXXFOUu.jpg

The role of parrying may be shrinking in From’s titles, but Lies of P’s parry mechanics are the core of its combat. The game plays sort of like a more chill Sekiro with a splash of Bloodborne. Whenever you block you take a bit of temporary damage which can be recovered by attacking, but if you block with perfect parry timing, you take zero damage as sparks shred the air and a satisfying CLANG rings in your ears. Repeated parries, along with charged heavy attacks, will fill up the enemies stagger meter and leave them vulnerable. Once the enemy is stagger-able you will need to land a charged attack or a weapon art, known as fable arts in this game, to earn the riposte and its pleasingly putrid explosion of blood and guts…or oil and bolts. It’s a great system where parrying is neither overpowered nor overtaken by other moves. This deadly dance of deflections delights even more when a chain of parries cleaves your opponents weapon and its head goes spinning off screen amidst a fizzle of sparks.

Matching the rhythm of your enemy’s combo and parrying each swing he takes back at him to build up stagger all sounds very Sekiro, doesn’t it? But the reason I say this is more chill than Sekiro is, when you miss your parry timing and just block instead, you take a bit of temporary damage that you can recover by attacking quickly, Bloodborne style. There are other bloodborney things of course, like how both you and your opponent may be wearing top hats at any given time. Well I suppose the game’s visuals are what immediately bring BB to mind, but Lies of P does a great job carving out a style of its own. There’s a lot of similarities in their European architecture but you can forget all about creepy Cthuluan cobblestones as you get lost in this 19th century steampunk puppet-ocalypse. There’s a ton of great levels like stormy stations, creepy forests, technology exhibitions where the displays murder you, and sunset soaked cathedrals over run by zombies, to name a few.

RdaIwHk.jpg

As fulfilling as the base combat is, there’s a rich range of gameplay features bolstering your battle tactics, like your cool robot arm that can be pimped and blinged to spray exploding acid and grapple-grab enemies like Scorpion’s “get over here!” Spear. Awesomely, weapon heads and handles can be reassembled in new combinations to mix and match movesets, fable arts and damage types. From this acid spear to that scythe with an extending spin attack to this other rectangular flame blade, it’s a game where you keep finding your new favourite weapon all the time in the first place, and having the flexibility to reforge these weapons and experiment with new designs is legit amazing. Pinocchi-bro also has a very girthy upgrade tree called the pee-organ that extends, or expands rather, with even more options in new game plus.

At 1st, The world of the Classic fairy tale Pinocchio sounds like one of the all time dumbest settings for a dark souls game, and if I told you this choice of setting wasn’t one of the reasons I was dragging my feet getting around to trying Lies of P out, my nose would grow a bit longer. But it actually works amazingly well. The puppets make for sufficiently creepy enemies with their lifeless red eyes, rotating heads and strange way of walking. There’s no shortage of interesting enemies or excellent boss designs - one killer clown puppet in particular has a manic expression that is pure nightmare fuel.

ObxQjTY.jpg

As for the story, this is a souls game alright. It’s mysterious, intriguing and totally unobtrusive. There’s a lot going on if u want to chase down npcs for info and read item descriptions, and if you don’t want to do that you’ll still get the gist. Yes, there’s cutscenes, but they’re short and to the point, and usually involve some huge boss bursting through a wall and flexing before you have an epic duel.

It might not be what springs to mind for most people, but as I went on my journey to becoming a real boy, I couldn’t help comparing Lies of P to Detroit: Become Human. That game has its moments but for the most part it explores fascinating concepts like artificial creations becoming life in the most cringe-tastic way imaginable. In Detroit, becoming human means showing lots of emotions in a goofy melodrama. Lies of P in contrast knows what really makes us human: lying, murdering and kicking back chilling to some records. Okay maybe that’s a bit glib. But with its deft dialogue and timer ticking truth or lie choices, the story manages to subtlety and intelligently make the player contemplate the puzzle of what it means to be alive.

ZfUDKGg.jpg

Kitty can tell if you’re a real boi or a wooden wannabe

Life of Pi or whatever it’s called is so sensationally soulsy that even in a year like this, it stands tall - but no game is perfect. The lack of multiplayer means this game can’t have the extensive replayability of games like Dark Souls 3. Worse, while souls games can generally accommodate a variety of play styles, like shield turtles and spell casters, Lies of P’s combat really revolves around that deadly rhythm game of deflecting your opponent’s combo. This makes it extra super double fun for players like me, who love parrying, but for some players who don’t gel with that play style, Lies of P might feel absurdly difficult and annoying to play. But mostly, when I try to think of what I’d change about Lies of P, I just find myself wishing there was more of it. Good thing that DLC is well on the way.

Well there you have it. Round 8 Studio has released a stunning game that transcends imitation. Like a wooden puppet that somehow magically became a real boy, Lies of P isn't a soulslike...it's a souls game. And I like it so much it’s now my favourite Krpg. That’s right - it’s a Seoulslike.

lQuK6VI.jpg

2. Resident Evil 4 - [PS5] Where to even begin? Resi 4 is LEGENDARY. Words can't explain how huge its impact was on gaming. I still don't even really like survival horror games, but I must have played a bunch of them now because of this one action horror game that lit up my Gamecube, getting me into a series and genre that I had avoided.

If I was to tell you that a modern game is like a movie, that means it's trash, with indulgent cutscenes and poor pacing. But back when Resi 4 came out, it really did feel like I was inside a movie - in the best way possible. Jumping from one kick-ass action scene to the next with my cool hero character dropping one liners and dropping cultist fools on their heads with suplexes, the game just kept giving me more and more entertainment, as if Shinji Mikami and crew thought their job was to cram as much awesome stuff into Resi 4 as possible. All credit to their passion and brilliance, but surely a bit of dumb luck was also involved in how perfect the game turned out. I mean, how else can you nail this flawless fusion of action, horror, coolness and campy silliness that is Resident Evil 4? It's been decades, but my friends and I still occasionally quote lines to each other like "not enuff cash, stranger."

The tense action was magnificent. Your control was less tanky and frustrating than in previous Resi games, but your freedom of movement was still constrained enough that you could feel overwhelmed and stressed, striking a balance where you're an empowered action hero who still has a bit of survival horror sap to him. I'll never forget the feeling of running around climbing ladders and jumping through windows in order to create enough room to quick turn and shotty blast a horde of otherworldly villagers shrieking at me in indecipherable demonspeak. Or at least that's what I thought it was. On another playthrough with some pals years later my Spanish speaking friend translated for me what the villagers were saying, including awesome lines like "I'm behind you, you idiot!" Nice, Capcom.

tnAdeq5.jpg

Combat had everything from chainsaw flailing psychopaths to Wolvie berserk style blind sprinter monsters and regenerating nightmare experiments, but I loved Resi 4 just as much in its quiet moments. Taking in the gloomy grey sky of a village lost in time and spying the glimmer of treasure in a bird's nest is a satisfying rush because loot actually matters - the merchant provided exciting new wares and useful upgrades that were refreshingly agonizing to choose between when spending.

There were many pleasures in Resi 4 besides its core of gore and thrilling killing. Hunting for treasure, shopping for shotguns, shooting blue medallions, solving puzzles, earning prizes doing target practice, pondering which precious items to keep as storage space runs out. That meta game of "inventory tetris" you play, where you flip things in just the right way to squeeze all your loot into your pack felt oddly satisfying. And the guns man! There's so many enticing firearms to choose from, and they all have interesting ups and downs, culminating in an awesome unique ability you unlock for each weapon by upgrading it to its maximum level!

gq4xmuk.jpg

Well, ALL that stuff is in REm4ke. There are also stealth mechanics, new content like side bosses, crafting options and expanded knife combat mechanics, and they're all implemented well. With stealth you can do silent takedowns but you can also use crouch to avoid a cultist lunging in to strangle you. The rewards for taking out side bosses roll into the excellent upgrade system. Crafting gives you that same challenging choice as picking upgrades, as you muse over whether to make flash grenades or rifle ammo with your precious resources. And your knife can parry, baby! The knife now has a durability meter, hardly losing any bar when you use it in situations where you have the advantage, like stealth kills, and taking heavy damage when used as a get out of jail free card, like blocking a freaking chainsaw. It's brilliantly balanced to the point where it's the most useful tool in Leon's arsenal, but if you lean on it too much, you'll find yourself holding useless shards until you can get to the merchant for repairs.

Movement is even freer now too, with just a little bit of survival horror tankyness left to make sure you're flatfooted enough to occasionally get spectacularly decapitated, which is quite a site thanks to REm4ke's gorgeously detailed graphics. As your head flies off you can admire not just the superb shadows and lighting framing a Pollock-esque blood arrangement but also the nice hair effects on your disembodied noggin. Some segments have been really jazzed up, like the mine cart ride and the Salazar boss fight, and the escort sections with Ashley are less frustrating - there's many great modern improvements.

jP4SKCF.jpg

But some of the things that made the classic game so charming are gone. Ada no longer sends Leon a paper airplane note signed with a red lipstick smooch. Leon no longer tells Ashley that he knew she’d be fine if she landed on her butt. Your Red9 handgun can't get a red laser dot anymore. A few cutscenes are lost, like the way Leon used to hack at a rope wrapped around his leg frantically to escape being pulled to the bottom of the lake by the death throes of Del Lago, that's gone. The music is good, very creepy...but the original music is so tense that maybe you can’t replace it.

BncIczQ.jpg

Still, I have to call this remake one of the greatest ever. For the most part they updated and elaborated on one of the greatest games of all time, to the point where REm4ke feels like an action packed schlobber knocker of immensely intense suspense, but also like a comfortable old arm chair you snuggle up in to pop some plagas with yer boi Leon. As psychotic chainsaw wielding maniacs hoist you above them, impaled on their rotating razors in a shower of red rain, you can’t help but smile fondly as you feel a pleasant wave of nostalgia. Good times.

ruYa8aG.jpg

3. Baldur's Gate III - [PC] My 1st Dungeons & Dragons experience was Baldur's Gate 1 in 1998. I had a great time. Well not so much the mashing space bar to read what was happening mid-battle and getting confused about what a "thaco" is. But the adventure, the choices, the characters... it was all pretty magical. Who can forget moving Minsc's portrait to the party leader position and hearing him boom “Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!” Or the bartender that always greeted you with “my hotel's as clean as an elven arse.” I enjoyed that D&D game, not specifically because it was D&D though.

Just to preface my hot take a bit more so you understand where I'm coming from, I'm someone who played both Baldur's Gate games and their expansions once, and quite liked them, mostly for the adventure and story, but I played both Divinity Original Sin games multiple times and loved them, mostly for the combat system.

iXVnm2A.jpg

I'll just come out and say it...I don’t think D&D rules are really a good fit for video games. I'm not saying D&D is bad. It's good! Sometimes it feels like the the funniest episode of every tv show happens to be the D&D episode, whether it’s Moss helping Roy find closure after his heart gets broken on The IT Crowd, or Annie learning to roleplay "Hector the well endowed" on Community. Podcasts too, maybe. I'd wager the funniest episode of The Flophouse was that first time they played D&D together. It might even be the case that in the pre-corpo, pre-homogenized internet, the funniest animations people made might just have been the D&D ones.

D&D’s battle system is good - for what it was made for, which is roleplaying and interacting together as a group. When you're trying to hit a bad guy and roll a 1 in tabletop, that's all part of the fun. The dungeon master can narrate how spectacular your miss is, saying how your character's pants fell down and everyone could see the pattern on your underwear, and the group can all have a laugh or whatever it is you people with friends do. But when my thief is going for his 5th 85% chance to hit backstab in a row in act 1 of BG3, and I just know it's gonna miss yet again, the satisfaction of being right is greatly offset by how badly this battle has fallen apart to the point it will have to be restarted. And there's nothing to change about my tactics with the limited skills available early in the game. Just do it again the same but instead of missing all but 2 out of 7 85% chance to hit attacks, Do it over and connect on 4 of them and you’ll win. Shrug. Dice hate me. I haven't felt this persecuted and oppressed by mathematics since my high school days when I might as well have been holding the text book upside down.

5DQPW8M.jpg

Someone might say to turn on "karmic dice" in settings, which is a very bad idea. This checkbox makes each failed action more likely to succeed and vice versa, erasing the value of other systems. Imagine you had really high armour for your character that should make them difficult to hit - now they're definitely getting hit, it's just a matter of time. You might point out that the Divinity Original Sin games also have their combat system based around dice rolls. Yeah. But you get crazy powers and abilities that prevent you from being at the mercy of mother math really early in Divinity, like the ability to teleport enemies around for example.

The more you play BG3, the less dependent on luck you are as you find gear and gain skills that allow you to fight back against dice. It's still only Act 1 when things start to feel like a Larian game with all the crazy spells you can throw at large groups of enemies that have so much AoE that even when most of them dodge, you know somebody's getting crispy. And by the late game your powers are nuts. A level 11 fighter gets 3 attacks per action. Between the haste spell, action surge, elixir of bloodlust which grants another action when you get a kill, and mind sanctuary which lets you use bonus actions and actions interchangeably, a fighter can do like...15 attacks in 1 turn? Does it really matter that you miss 40% of your 85% chance to hit shots at that point? It's a fun, crazy battle system with lots of great skills and spells, I just think it would be even better if it had been designed to be a computer game from the ground up instead of adapted from tabletop.

4mIcLXv.jpg

So am I saying BG3 is bad? Nahhh, I'm just having a whinge, it's great. Really great. So great that even in this year, of all years, anyone can see it's going to win game of the year from a mile away. The amount of care and detail that brings BG3 to life is loco. Everything from how animated and expressive your character's face is during dialogue choices, despite being a custom created avatar, to all the charming songs you can play on a range of different instruments, to the imaginative locations you find yourself in like Aunty Ethel's swamp of illusion or the Gauntlet of Shar, show excessive creativity and craft. Everyone should try it, even if you think it's not your type of game, just because of how masterfully made of a fantasy adventure it is. As for me, it is my type of game, made by one of my favourite developers - I just think it would be nice without the dice.

UhMMbDX.jpg

4. The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom - [Switch] After years of appearing immune, I finally succumbed to "Zelda fatigue" with Skyward Sword. Despite this, I still had every intention of getting Breath of the Wild on release, because duh, it's Zelda... but I felt zero hype or excitement. When I finally played it I was totally amazed. Its vastness stretched out in all directions, not with the broken questlines, glitches and copy-pasta npcs that were common in massive open world games, but with the polish of...well, a Zelda game.

I loved hang gliding over the world and seeing all the interesting things to do. It was awesome shield surfing down mountains, or taking out monster camps, or exploring serene forests to find rare beetles and flowers for my crafting. Dueling lyonels was fun, as was meeting great characters like Sidon, the Zora prince with the panic inducing yet still winning razor sharp smile.

pF2MFPJ.jpg

I guess any time that game comes up you gotta have a civilized discussion about weapon breakage. I thought it was a brilliant mechanic that made every weapon have value. When I chanced upon a tough enemy and reached into my pack to pull out a big bad bastard of a sword thinking "oh, I've been saving something special for you" it felt like I was being rewarded for my preparation and foresight. I guess the thing I hate in games is when you go to a new town and buy a new sword and it "keeps up" with the new enemies so that it doesn't feel powerful but instead feels about the same as the last sword did compared to the enemies in the previous area, and so on, with no weapon ever really feeling satisfyingly different in power levels. Breath of the Wild avoids this problem and is able to have weapons that actually feel powerful, and they don't ruin the game by being too OP either. Because those weapons break, the game doesn't.

l61pljk.jpg

So yeah, I enjoyed BotW. I do share some of the other common complaints people make about the game. Like, I wish that within that vast open world there were a bunch of large classic Zelda style dungeons, for example. But overall I really loved BotW, I thought it was the deku's nuts.

So I must have been really hyped for Tears of the Kingdom, right? Nope. A game releasing now looking the same as BotW did 6 years ago, to the extent that it's even using the same overworld? Bruh. Of course I expected it to be good because of the whole "duh, it's Zelda" thing, but exploring that same open world again, even with sky islands and an underworld added, didn't really fuel my hype engine.

xKs2WYT.jpg

And then I played it, and just like with BotW, I was totally amazed. About 1 hour in I built my 1st flying contraption. As I crashed it into a tree and laughed my ass off, I was like "ohhh, I get it now." Thanks to "Zonai" devices, green capsules containing advanced ancient technology, you can construct a shocking range of weird weapons and vehicles. It takes a little while to get good at it as you learn what the different doodads do and collect a large stash of them, but after some funny failures I came up with some designs that actually worked, and kept improving on them as the game progressed. Eventually I started looking up popular designs on youtube and saw a range of rad tanks, bikes and flying machines, including my favourite landcruiser that quickly focus fires down enemies with 9 freaking laser beams.

MHqRJFi.jpg

Crafting options in TotK go beyond bananas. Just strap anything to anything and Voilà! Fuse a rocket to your shield and you'll fly any time you raise that shield. Or fuse that shield to a 2-handed weapon and now that weapon can block and parry. Slain enemies leave their horns or claws as trophies, which can be fired from bows or fused with weapons to increase their range and attack power. Late game enemies have particularly nasty looking horns that make really badass weapon designs.

TnaxcfX.jpg

But focusing on the creative crafting craziness of TotK can undersell the great Zelda game beneath all that with its smooth combat and fun new enemies like gleeoks and horriblins. There's also a charming cast of characters and well done side quests. The main story is surprisingly moving too, with a grand climax. Combining this huge, polished Zelda adventure with a highly creative construction playground where your imagination can run wild designing all sorts of wacky stuff is a blissful experience.

Last edited:
EN5LnSn.jpg

5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed - [Switch] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 left something of an odd aftertaste. Amazing game though it was, on paper its additions and enhancements to the series should make it the greatest Xenoblade of all time. It had a ton of classes, great new combat features like dashing around the battlefield and fighting in water, and the ability to swap party members mid-battle. It had a superb version of chain attacks, and many other great features besides, along with interesting characters, story themes, and twists.

So how come instead of giddy obsession, my usual response upon completing a Xenoblade game, I instead put the controller down with a kind of thoughtful nose pick? How did a game set in the combined futures of both Shulk and Rex's worlds not leave me in awe?

Well, first let me assure you that I totally mostly understood the story, somewhat. Okay, maybe a few things went over my head and I had to get a little help from lore videos on youtube. But even when I understood the depth of what was happening, it didn't exactly answer all the burning questions that come with Aionios being the future of both past games. In fact, rather than the resolution of what went before, XC3 created new burning questions and chose not to answer those either.

SYUl2IW.jpg

Consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While XC3 carries the implication and subsequent burden of being the ultimate Xenoblade that ties all things Xeno together, I actually believe XC2 kinda deserves this title. Think about it. It's got Shulk. It's got Rex, obviously. But it also has Fiora, it has Kosmos and Telos, it has Elma. And none of them are breaking lore by being there - the way blades work in XC2 means their core crystal contains data of their being but not their memories, so anyone from anywhere could be a blade and it would make perfect sense within the rich world of XC2. Yeah, Elma's Full Metal Jaguar class is in XC3, but XC2 has Elma herself, and more - you can even rock out to Wir Fliegen while she enters overdrive mode.

But there's something else XC2 has. Boundless imagination.

Everything about XC2, from living on gigantic walking titans, to its baffling but brilliant battle system and using gacha to acquire its 50 bizarre blade characters, to Pyra's cup size, is wild, unrestrained, reckless even. Risky. You could say the same of Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's pretty nutty for a Jrpg to take on open world exploration, custom character design and multiplayer elements, but the result is something truly special.

Mdckftw.jpg

These games are polarizing, but when you just trust Monolift Soft and dive in, you have an incredible journey. After a bustling trade hub, a charming cat people village and getting swallowed by a massive titan only to discover a magical kingdom hidden in its honestly gorgeous guts, I didn't know what the wonderful world of XC2 had in store for me next, but I was super engrossed. Compared to XC2, XC3 is sensible, formulaic...restrained, even. Playing XC3 I did know what was in store, I even felt a little bit like I was in a loop. I know I'm gonna go to a small colony, meet its colourful commander, recruit them and learn their class, just like I've been doing. That's the endless now for you I guess. Sure, along the way I'll get to explore some neat environments that look like areas from XC1 and XC2, but you know what's better than that? Playing a totally new Xenoblade and seeing its totally new areas.

In committing to connecting the futures of XC1 and XC2 to tell a new story with a new cast in XC3, Monolift Soft are kind of stuck with the worst of both worlds, being unable to continue directly the adventures of each game's beloved cast and unable to take Noah and his crew in some completely fresh, wild, unfettered direction. So instead of crazy stuff like gacha blades and big anime tiddies, development effort got focused on finding ways to fit things from XC1 and XC2 together, and refining and improving already existing systems and ideas. It's not like that sort of sensible use of resources is a bad thing, but it may explain why XC3 alone is the only Xenoblade game that doesn't give me the endless wow.

I don't want to sound too critical, because Monolift Soft's creative brilliance is still on display within these confines, but I just feel like they make something even more impactful when they don't have such baggage. There's a serious flaw in this XC2 vs XC3 comparison, though. When I played XC3, I had to constantly manually swap my party's setups. It got super annoying. But as I was wrapping up my 1st playthrough, a patch came out that allows players to instantly switch between a variety of setups, so anyone playing today won't experience the hassles that I did playing the game at launch.

HPcfMmD.jpg

Because I played XC2 years after launch with its patches and generous helpings of extra content already accessible, who knows how many problems that the base game had were non-issues for me? Instead of functioning as "bonus" "optional" content, a lot of these extras really fix or fill in lacking gameplay and story areas, resulting in a more satisfying, complete experience. For me, XC2 was a game that just kept on giving with its enormous base adventure tightened up and expanded on with awesome DLC challenge modes, extra quests and extra characters that I had access to right away. And then of course there's Torna The Golden Country...Or rather the golden standard for DLC. Torna is a DLC prequel adventure for XC2 that's absurdly large for a DLC, really it's more of a small standalone Jrpg. And it's very good.

Future Redeemed
is to XC3 what Torna is to XC2, but better and more. This prequel's protagonist is Matthew, a big hearted, small brained, reckless anime style hero. Along with party members like A, a femme variant of Alvis, the Mythra-mouthed Glimmer, and Nikol, an awkward teen constantly rearranging his backpack like some high school nerd, I liked Matthew. I wish the game was longer so I could get to know this crew more. But it's hard for any of these characters to hold the spotlight once the chad dads Shulk and Rex show up and join the party. Rex in particular really gets his due in this game.

F0ywEPu.jpg

I mean, is this guy freakin' for real? The type of boulder that Chris Redfield would punch, adult Rex would catch between his teeth, crush and then spit out like bullets into the skulls of his enemies. I know he's the Master Driver, but how the hell is he THIS powerful? He does way more damage than anyone else in the party could ever dream of, dominating dragons and crushing consuls. Rex is such an omegachad in Future Redeemed that you finally understand how this harem having hulk of a hero wakes up in a bed crowded with f-cup angels and feisty catgirls.

To think that the pint-sized pipsqueak who dreamed of climbing the world tree is now in a world where the population is mostly descended from his family tree, I don't know, is that somehow ironic? And while we're on that subject, I see a lot of Pandy in Linka, but I'm not really seeing that much of Zeke in her features. Just. Sayin'. The man is a God-damned sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex.

oFazLsB.jpg

Oh, and Shulk? He has long hair now.

So anyways

Future Redeemed
doesn't have the huge variety of classes that XC3 has, in fact aside from new pair-up moves and talent arts, each character only has 6 arts. But the game alters XC3's battle system to add extra effects when combining them into fusion arts. So when Matthew uses Energy Boost together with Backspin Punch, he also gets a crit bonus. But if he instead fuses Energy Boost with Revolt Uppercut, it gets an AoE effect so he can buff the whole party. Each character has 9 fusion bonus effects in total, which on top of the game's other systems is more than enough to play around and experiment with for the duration of this short n' sweet Jrpg. And that's really the main complaint I keep coming back to for Future Redeemed, I wish it was a larger game. There's already plenty here, especially for a DLC, but it's cramming so much into this small adventure that things can feel rushed at times, so why not make it a big adventure and add even more stuff?

K84wVkv.jpg

It's not as if this is a perfect send off for Shulk and Rex. But it is a good one. In fact, the closure and context that Future Redeemed brings adequately wraps up the whole Klaus story. Remember Klaus? Honestly, of all the delusional idiots presuming to play god and rule the world who end up getting everybody killed with their hubris named "Klaus," this guy is easily the 2nd worst. But while Xenoblade could end here forever and things would be wrapped up nicely enough, the DLC's ending also excites the mind with hope for the future thanks to the retcon radio playing in the background, name dropping and connecting everything from Xenoblade X to the Namco owned Xenosaga together. It's a big Xeno-verse out there, with hope for exciting games in the future.

1qqgqi8.jpg

I'm not crying, you're crying! BAKA

But honestly, I'm now kinda excited to replay XC3 somewhere down the line, hopefully on new hardware with a sharper resolution, so I can reassess it as a full package. Because it feels like it's not just the future that this DLC is redeeming with the answers and closure it provides, but Xenoblade Chronicles 3 itself.

83Ija2z.jpg

6. Pikmin 4 - [Switch] I've loved Pikmin since the 1st game, I'm always down for more pikmans. I was a little shocked by how good this one is though. You play a custom designed avatar who works for the rescue corps saving cute characters with funny dialogue who crash their spaceships. With your trusty dog/mount Oatchi, you eventually recruit every single pikmin type to help you, including new ones like ice pikmin and glowing pikmin. Combat is just better. The graphics are also prettier, taking you everywhere from yards and caves to kitchens and living rooms. And there's more amusingly mis-named objects to haul back to your spaceship than ever before!

Pikmin 4 also teaches you about dandori, the Japanese art of not wasting time like a deadbeat gaijin, which I guess explains why we don't have a word for that. I'll teach it to you. Let's say you're pouring more coffee from the coffee pot and it's not hot enough so you gotta put your mug in the microwave. Now you could stand next to the microwave and wait like a jack-ass, BUT. What if, while the microwave is running, you go take a piss? Then you come back and get the coffee as it finishes heating up (wash your hands please.) Congrats! By synchronizing these tasks instead of doing them separately, you've wasted less of your life than you normally would. That's dandori. We're all on a clock, and no one knows exactly how much time they have left, so we should be efficient with our most precious resource. Actually...you probably shouldn't be reading this.

9g1iIg3.jpg

In the game's dandori challenges you're racing against time to collect all the treasure in an area within a strict time limit, retrying the level repeatedly until you master it, getting a little more efficient each time. But that's just one of many gameplay modes. Glow pikmin have different abilities and rules to other pikmin, and come out at night for a base defense mode against the scary monsters that eat everybody when the sun goes down. And of course there's the usual day based exploration mode before that sunset.

When you beat the game and see it's 1st soft ending, in a way you're just getting started, as you'll have seen less than half of the actual amount of game there is here to sink your teeth into at that point. I was especially surprised and impressed by one of the post game modes where Olimar "tells you stories," which feels almost like a modern remake of the first Pikmin. You play a 15 day campaign where Olimar races to collect his 30 ship parts. I think I only got 23 on my first attempt but it was very satisfying to restart and do a perfect run the 2nd time thinking "dude this is like having Pikmin 1 as a free bonus WHAAAAAAT!"

This is comfortably the best Pikmin, so if you ever enjoyed or wanted to try the series at all, pick it up sometime.

9CANtuP.jpg

7. Final Fantasy XVI - [PS5] Final Fantasy has been struggling with an identity crisis for a long time now. They want to be mainstream so bad that they keep stripping away Jrpg elements from the most famous Jrpg franchise in history. But while Square Enix imagined it was turned based battles that were chasing away a larger audience, I think it might have been their pretentious, wanky storytelling and absurd looking, shallow characters.

Maybe they got the memo. Final Fantasy XVI suggests Square realized westerners don't like whiny pretty boys, so they made the protagonist a raspy tongued pretty man. And they saw Game of Thrones was a kind of a big deal so they gave you a dog, cranked up the politics and sideboob, and killed everybody. Honestly... it's a start.

e0NJmea.jpg

The combat is great. However, there's not a trace of Jrpg to it - this is exactly like a character action game in the spirit of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Clive keeps building an awesome array of combat moves based on the different elemental summons he conquers. When you parry enemies with Titan's rock powers or freeze them in place with Shiva's ice moves, it feels just as satisfying as it looks, and it looks absolutely dazzling with beautiful graphical effects lighting up the screen. Yeah, the combat is too easy on the game's normal setting, a consequence of Square Enix's target mainstream audience, but it's still fun to play, and there are other settings and challenging side content to mess around with.

The music kicks just as much ass as the fighting. More even. Whenever you're listening to a hype battle theme and dashing and slashing every which way while a big monster swings at you, the music will occasionally shift gears to some uplifting, soaring tune with really hopeful energy, and then back to the battle theme again, but with extra instrumental on top. It's wonderful, capturing not just the feeling of action and conflict, but also of bravery and heroism.

mBv5yTb.jpg

Where FFXVI starts to really run into problems is all the other gameplay besides the combat. Quests, exploration, loot...the rpg parts, you could say. They're all fairly shallow. It's utterly jarring to walk out of the spectacular sequence of setpieces that are the games opening hours, where you're running through the set of a super high budget medieval fantasy action movie, to find Clive standing awkwardly at a locked camera angle across from a shopkeeper with a text box asking you to "collect 5 gyshal greens do you accept quest yes/no?"

I actually don't think the archaic quest structure is unforgivably bad. I play lots of Jrpgs that are great where you do quests like this. I feel the problem here is that this isn't really a Jrpg. It's a character action style game in a Jrpg skinsuit, and a lean action game can't fill out the skin of an epic rpg, so instead of functioning like extra content in a huge game, the sidequests are instead padding and stretching the game to try and make it feel huge. The exploration is similar. You can go off the main path, but why tho? To fight enemies who drop trash loot? To open a chest with 10 gil in it? The environments are pretty, but exploring isn't really rewarding. Some side content is good like taking down marks, but marks are really just boss fights, reinforcing that the only gameplay that's done well is the action combat.

The game also has story problems. I mean, shocker, right? There's some parts that could be called good. Supporting characters like Gav and Jill are likeable enough. Cid in particular stands out as a great heroic figure who inspires others while still being human and flawed himself, making for a really impactful character. He even elevates the story after his death through his legacy and the effect his passing has on the other characters. Also, his voice is even more manly than Clive's! These guys make Adam Jensen sound like a castrato. I like how summons in this game are like weapons of war that armies rally around, and I liked the tragic love story ending. There's some spectacular setpieces like dueling Odin at the bottom of a parted sea, Exodus style.

RIPGjjo.jpg

But there's too much dumb and cringe stuff. Like, there's a guy who get his hands chopped off mid-battle, and instead of being sensitive about his arm stumps, or writhing in pain, he flails his stumps around like blunt weapons yelling angrily. It's supposed to be intense but it's so goofy and silly I felt embarrassed. Worse than the cringe is long, boring exposition. There's a reason game of thrones has naked people doing cartwheels in the background when characters talk politics, history and geography. But worse even than that, they didn't know where to go with it all so they fell back on the ultimate Jrpg cliché, fancy haircut swordy guy uses friendship to kill god. I must sound like I'm making that up. I wish I was making that up.

Square Enix seem to want to tell Jrpg stories even though they don't want to make Jrpgs anymore. I kind of wish they were making Jrpgs while telling different stories. But... it's their series. Hopefully they find a way to make it work. Otherwise, one of these days it really will be the final one.

eZthSIK.jpg

8. Super Mario Wonder - [Switch] I'm a huge Mario fan. I thought Super Mario Odyssey was a masterpiece and that Mario 35 was game of the year. I always 100% every Mario game, including ones I've already played, like the re-release of Super Mario 3D World on the Switch. I say all this to preface my hot take: I like this game a lot. But I don't love it. Something feels a bit...off.

I know people were getting tired of the New Super Mario Bros. games, and there was a feeling that things needed to be shaken up. Well, consider them shook. Super Mario Wonder's wonder seeds are crazy, making piranha plants start singing or turning Mario into a balloon like he did in Mario World. There's even rollerskating koopas and Donkey Kong Country style silhouette levels. Hold on to your butts.

There's certainly plenty of great stuff in Mario Wonder. I loved fun levels like the ones with coloured blocks that appear and disappear in sync with the music, with the platforming getting trickier as the music gets faster. I also enjoyed being turned into a helpless goomba as well and having to hide from hungry enemies. But I think this wonder seed stuff might actually be harming level design. Like, in most levels the goal is to basically get to the wonder seed and then when you have it, rush to the end like you're in a sonic game. The wonder seed gimmick kind of removes variety and complexity from level design.

T7reJcf.jpg

I think the thing that bothered me the most though, is badges. Badges offer a variety of interesting powers, but annoyingly you choose your badge at the start of a level, without really being totally sure which badge would suit that level best. Plus, a lot of things that badges do would be better suited to a cool Mario suit. Yeah, yeah, swim badge, great...but froggy suit is better. I usually enjoy the final challenge of Mario games but this one was centered around badges, including an infuriating challenge where you have to make hard jumps while wearing an invisibility badge. So...you gotta judge timing and distance while not actually being able to see where you are. If that sounds like it would be frustrating and not at all fun, then I described it correctly.

So yeah. Not my kind of Mario, but still a weird and wonderful game that brings the zaniness.

kHZFSwu.jpg

9. Darkest Dungeon II - [PC] The 1st Darkest Dungeon was sensational. Its Brilliant art style, now endlessly imitated by inferior indies, brought a world of cosmic horror to life in an immersive way, along with moody music and iconic narration. Who can forget hopelessly trudging through a dungeon trying to manage their inventory and hearing “packs...laden with loot...are often low on supplies.” Or landing a critical and hearing the narrator exclaim “a singular strike!?” And then there’s my favourite: “success so clearly in view... or is it merely...a trick of the light?

There was a delicious devilry to Darkest Dungeon’s design - a gloomy, oppressive flavour that synergized perfectly with the games daunting but not indomitable gameplay. It was tough, it even made you feel hopeless at times, but that despair porn IS the fantasy of encroaching cosmic Cthulu-ism. And the whole time you were learning, you were growing your ranks, upgrading skills, getting stronger through treasure and trinkets. Darkest Dungeon II is a drastic departure from the 1st game’s winning formula. Drake is pushing away the satisfying base building, dungeon delving, and roster recruiting of DD1 like a pouting teenage girl and embracing roguelike multi-dungeon runs using a locked in team with a douchey, punchable grin on his idiot face as he contributes to the rapid decline of western civilization with his cancerous music. Are u ready for the auto-tuned horrors of the Drake-est Dungeon?

I'm surprised how much I miss visiting the hamlet, and building up my little dudes. I also feel less inclined to experiment or take risks in DD2 because I'm committing to 4 dungeons when I play. Sure, you could bring someone other than Man-at-Arms, hypothetically...but it's your funeral. And what's up with Bounty Hunter? He's supposed to show up at the inn randomly, right? I've beat the game and I've never seen him, he might as well not exist for me.

bhVKqfC.jpg

There is plenty to love about DD2 though. It has a lot of crazy boss fights, and ideas like paths, which let characters specialize in one area. I especially love the hero shrines, where characters have flashbacks to their developing years that play out as a kind of puzzle battle, showing the Leper when he was a king sheltering the desperate and diseased, or the Grave Robber hiding from and plotting against her abusive husband.

It's too early to say how good DD2 is with any certainty. I was kind of spoiled to play DD1 on the switch, years after release with all the DLC added and many gameplay refinements, and I think I underestimated how much people playing the game in the 1st year of launch are still kind of like early access in a way. Since Redhook is continuing to improve things and add things, the future of Darkest Dungeon II looks bright. Or is it merely...

YgilWVU.jpg

10. Fire Emblem Engage - [Switch] I couldn’t help eye rolling at the reveal of FEE. The protagonist’s ridiculous puffy clothes, featuring silly suspender straps on his legs, went completely unnoticed because of the absurdly jarring site of his half-red, half-blue eyes and hair. In Fire Emblem Three Houses, they went to school, so now they’re going to clown college?

As it turns out, the “gimmick” is a completely different one this time. Magic rings hold the spirits of the legendary heroes of past Fire Emblem games. Giving a character the ring of Marth gives them cool Marth-like swordy Powers, or a ring with the spirit of Lyn from Sacred Stones gives them powerful archery moves. I found giving a character a ring that further enhances their specialty very effective. A good wizard, for example, wielding Soren from Path of Radiance’s ring, can cast a spell that kills 5 enemies at once! Such supermoves do have a cooldown, but dude. Dude.

c1Itl6w.jpg

Sadly the variety of skills obtainable through wielding these rings of power replaces an extra tier of class promotion, which is a shame as getting another promotion after your 1st one, where you become some kind of super class, is one of my favourite parts of Fire Emblem. You’ll just have to make do with base classes and a single promotion. Honestly, though - the rings provide more than enough enhancements and customization to come up with powerful builds.

Story wise FEE is kinda dumb. With some noteworthy exceptions, the dialogue and events generally felt simpler and sillier, like it was speaking to a younger audience than Fire Emblem Three Houses. But the Fire Embleming is on point, with highly enjoyable combat and character building.

Last edited:
GpxCQ5u.jpg

x. Metroid Prime Remastered - [Switch] Metroid Prime is an all timer. I'm listing it in honourable mentions so the great games of 2023 can shine, but if I was making a top 10 of all time list, Metroid Prime would get a numbered spot. Now it has a nice sharp, visual upgrade and portability on the switch.

pfYs94R.jpg

x. Persona 4 Golden - [Switch] P4 is another all timer. A game that is personally very dear to me, if I go into detail I'll just end up writing a masters thesis about why P4 is better than P5. Maybe when the remake comes out.

Z6Hx6iW.jpg

x. Double Dragon Gaiden Rise of the Dragons - [Switch] There was a lot of negativity surrounding this game's art style. Look, no one hates bad pixel art more than me...but this is good pixel art, so I love it! I think what people wanted was for it to not be pixel art at all. Perhaps they were hoping for more fighters with visuals like Streets of Rage 4. But it isn't just the art style that's good, the gameplay is highly enjoyable too, especially in couch co-op with a buddy. Compared to last year's TMNT Shredder's Revenge, I enjoy this more. The punches just feel...crunchier.

x. Street Fighter 6 - [PC] SF6 sure looks like a great Street Fighter entry from what I can tell. But even with the silly fun of the single player campaign and the effort they put into training mode, it still feels like the jump from hurling hadokens to frame trapping and option selecting is one that's over a vast canyon for casual normies like me. Chun Li's bum is looking great though, so have all the money Capcom.

Oh8SZKV.jpg

x. Persona 5 Tactica - [PS5] P5T is a good turn based strategy game, not a great one. The core mechanic of combat is positioning your party members in such a way that they draw a triangle around your enemies, after which you can go full Pythagoras on their ass with an all out attack. It works well enough.

New character Erina is a revolutionary. Not the doing blue steel poses on t-shirts while putting gay ppl in internment camps type, but the fighting an oppressive regime type. Together with Toshiro, a straight laced, mild mannered politician, they form the heart of this game's story while the P5 cast riff on the same old bits they've been doing up until now, like how Ryuji is dumb and enjoys swearing and Morgana hates people thinking he's a cat (he kind of is though.) The story's okay but there's just way too much talking compared to the amount of actual gameplay.

68orAml.jpg

x. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - [PS5] An example of a great game that wasn't the right fit for me. I struggled the whole way through, losing track of my enemies, moving too slow and then moving too fast as I clumsily rocketed past where I wanted to go. I beat the whole thing without ever gitting gud, just dying over and over and grinding my teeth. The game and I had very different ideas about mech customization as well. I wanted to mod my mech to look as much like Tekkaman Blade as possible, while the game wanted me to swap out parts situationally to adapt to differing challenges, no matter how much it clashes with my fashion.

x. Diablo IV - [PC] Remember Diablo IV? What happened man? I played it constantly non-stop for 2 weeks and then I suddenly never wanted to see it again. The computer game equivilent of bubble gum. It was fun for a while though.

That's my list. Amazing year for gaming. I also bought games I couldn't get around to yet like Jagged Alliance 3, Super Mario Rpg and Bayonetta Origins, so 2023 keeps on giving. Of course, if you like Japanese games then 2024 is looking quite good out the gate also with FFVII Rebirth, Metaphor ReFantazio, Like a Dragon 2, P3 Reload, Unicorn Overlord and Dragon's Dogma 2 around the corner. We might even get dat Elden Ring DLC.

My 2022 Neogaf GotY Voting Thread Post

Last edited:
I think I voted for Armored Core VI in like at least 6 categories.
Anyhow, it's my game of 2023. I bought it near launch but it took me a couple months to actually warm up to it. AC 2 on PS2 was the first Ac game I played, and at that time, it was the best "mech" game I ever played. That game also took some time to click, but when it did, it felt really good.

AC VI elevates the systems of previous titles while keeping in line with what made the games more nuanced. You can tackle any mission or boss through your own design of your mech, but that also requires you to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of your design. It's a fucking master class of game design. Besides that, the atmosphere is incredible, the music is punching way above its weight for a game that is part of pretty niche franchise. The tone is just right. The game oozes atmosphere, it really feels like some dream or alternate reality and the gameplay is just fucking incredible. Mission based, old school kind of game design but rewarding replays and adding new encounters, combined with new equipment, story line, etc.

It really plays like nothing else. It's not only the best game released this year, but the most original. Ironic, it falls back into the once typical game design of a mission based structure, and the main reward is mastering the gameplay.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Voting is closed now, we will work on compiling the results and will reveal them soon. Thanks everyone for participating!

Top Bottom