• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME IS.....................................

you might forgot best waifu for some:
hSpIA5x.png

(Including me)

God, i hate this game when first time i play it, accusing it for weebs game. But after ranting 10 hours playtime. I.. was wrong...

I love it to the bones.
And ended to buy all xeno games win switch. 13/10 the best series in this decade for me

I love the game for the weebness and the weirdness. Especially the WAIFUS

Especially for Tora and Poppi

Especially for Meh Meh

Especially for Turters

Still my favorite cast in the Xenoblade games

shamroxor

Neo Member
Elder Scrolls Morrowind was my life for a couple of weeks, played through it again years later and still loved it.
Special mention to Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura If only it had been made with the turn based combat from 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' :messenger_smiling_hearts: ! R.I.P Troika

Beechos

Final fantasy 4. It has it all good vs evil, friendship, love, betrayal, sacrifice, redemption. This game wouldve made a hell of a movie.

Fredrik

Elden Ring is my #2 all-time game, after Super Metroid, so I guess I should say Elden Ring since it’s said to be a RPG.
But the actual role-playing is crap so I’m not sure it’s the correct choice, best Action RPG perhaps.

I guess Baldur’s Gate 3 is a good choice, it’s the one with the most advanced role-playing I’ve played.
But I don’t like the game, dropped it after 25 hours for literally putting me to sleep with that slow speed.

I’ll go with Skyrim. Does many things well and nothing terribly wrong. There are lots of nice mods to make even better too. And there is a VR version.

Sacred

This is far too complicated a choice, because there are far too many sub-genres.

JRPG:
Star Ocean 2

Open World:
Elden Ring

1st person:
Morrowind

HM: Witcher 3, Remnant 2, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Vesperia, Fallout 3, FF6, Daggerfall, Xenoblade Chronicles, Deus Ex, KOTOR

The genre is so damn deep.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

For just being able to role play different characters and have an affect on the game world plus the overlapping quests and the dialogue, i have to choose Fallout New Vegas, i love other RPGs as well for their settings and ambience and immersion but New Vegas combined it all together better than any other RPG for me.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ve never played ………………………………………………, is it any good?

Denton

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt & Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine

followed by

Kingdom Come Deliverance PC
Vampire Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Cyberpunk 2077
Fallout 1 & 2 & New Vegas
Witcher 1&2
Mass Effect Trilogy
Enderal
Gothic 2 & Archolos

All these are effectively 10s.

Last edited:
I hate this question because I have to narrow it to one. Gone are the days where I'd play countless RPGs on SNES and PS1 in particular.

There are so many I could list, but if I really have to put only 1, even now I can't make up my mind.

*drum roll*

Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I always end up coming back to it after considering all of the other JRPGs I've played (a lot of them). Just a simple but classic story when videogame stories were really nothing much to write home about. Great party mechanics, incredible music, fun battle system. It does so many "firsts" for modern jrpgs that were later perfected by other games. There's not a single character in the playable cast that I don't like too, which is very rare.

Runner up for me would be Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Perfect explanation of why it’s so magical in my mind!

Quasicat

There are far too many to list to make a Poll. If the thread catches on then maybe I can keep an updated count list on the Original Post. This is really a simple thread and should be easy to keep track of a consensus if everyone follows the rules. Here is it.

1. List only one game, no honorable mentions, no multiple choices, just one game. Trilogies are excluded (for example Mass Effect trilogy) only independent games say (Mass Effect 2 for example)
2. Can be from any Platform in any generation. Turned based, Action based, etc are all included
3. If you can not decided on only one I asked you to abstain from the thread until you have made a decision on one choice. Think of it as trapped on a desert island and can only have one game.
4. I know this is very hard because I have a ton of beloved games myself. I suggest you pick one that really personally you love instead of the popular choices.

LET THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME FROM THE NEOGAF FORUMS BE KNOWN:

My choice: Skies of Arcade Legends (remake of Skies of Arcadia)
You nailed it right away. I literally came to this thread to post this. If only the rumors were true a few years ago and this got rereleased on current hardware.

Seyken

Chrono Trigger and it's not even close. It's the purest definition of timeless.

Endlessly replayable:
I usually never replay games, and to be able to get me to do it - and more than once at that - takes a very special kind of craft.

Perfectly paced:
This point corroborates the first one. There are many games that are amazing during the 1st playthrough, but when you think about starting again, there's a certain part or section that makes you go "uuugh, do I really have to?". There's absolutely nothing like this in this game. There's always something important happening, no filler, and it manages to hit everything it needs to hit while still being a 20ish hours game. Whenever you feel it's about to stall, it doesn't and throws you into a high moment. It's the perfect roller coaster.

Amazing cast:
This speaks by itself. The whole cast is charisma incarnate and all of them get their moment.

Unbelievably ahead of its time:
No random encounters? Check. Multiple endings with VERY different outcomes and ways to unlock? Check. New Game +? Check. Dual and Triple techs between chraracters? Check. Time travel in a game? Check.

Visuals:
It's 2D, and we all know 2D ages like fine wine, so it still looks as amazing today as it did in 1995.

Last edited:
Top Bottom