• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

crash-14

Really funny to read this thread with all that Sony bias conspiracy xD.

Even funnier seen people saying it's true cuz Bloodborne won last year over the witcher while in the press The Witcher destroyed the game. 0 words about the fact that souls games and anime games never tend to get major recognition from western publications.
Being real, only "Japanese" games west publications care are Nintendo's Originals, Kojima's and Final Fantasy

That's why in 2014 Bayonetta 2 only won 22 GOTY and Dark Soul 2 15 while Dragon Age Inquisition (Which no one remembers this days) won 134, Shadows of Mordor 49 and even Far Cry 4 was on top with 26.

I honestly can't complain about how the rankings turned out. Some games I wouldn't put on there, some games I would. Uncharted 4 being the tops....no complaints there. Shit was cray no doubt.

My Affinity List

My Recommended List (Top 10)

1. [XB1][PS4] Inside (Adventure) = 12 points
2. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 10 points
3. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 10 points
4. [XB1][PS4] Hitman (Action) = 7 points
5. [XB1][PS4] Overwatch (FPS) = 6 points
6. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (RPG) = 4 points
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = 3 points
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Stardew Valley (Simulation) = 3 points
9. [PS4] Alienation (Shooter) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
10. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 2 points

I intend to play all of these at some point. I played the INSIDE demo and loved it.

Zyrox

Man these stats are neat. I guess I didn't post in the GOTY voting thread, shame. I remember posting in a few list threads but I guess I missed that one.

Anyway for my personal tastes it was not the greatest year, but it still had some highlights. My GOTY was Dark Souls 3 which was robbed here.
Happy to see Ratchet & Clank getting some love.

Necron

Wow, amazing job on everything. Jawdropping work there. Really happy with the list. GAF has good taste! Shame that Dark Souls III couldn't make top 3, but given the amazing games up there, it's no biggie.

My affinity folks!

No. 3 in your affinity list :)

Damn guys, thats one hell of an affinity list.

and No. 3 in yours as well coincidentally.

Hope I can post my affinity list... can't seem to do it. I'll update this post once I've found it out how. Or can someone post it for me? :(

EDIT: So easy in retrospect...

My affinity list:

etrain911

Happy to see Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Picross 3D Round 2 getting some love on the list, having just attained Pocket Jockey, the 3DS is probably my platform of the year. But then again, Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4 were just so god damn amazing. This was a great year for gaming in a shit year for everything else. Thanks for sharing it with me, GAF!

Hope I can post my affinity list... can't seem to do it. I'll update this post once I've found it out how. Or can someone post it for me? :(

1. Download the data file from the OP
2. Extract the collection of zip files
3. Extract the 2016 zip
4. Open the "goty-user-affinity.txt" file
5. Search for your name

That's it!
If you want to see what titles are recommended to you, open the goty-recommended.txt in step 4 instead.

Lady Gaia

No Nintendo game in the top ten at all. Is this a first?

it happened in 2012 as well.

It basically happens in years when Nintendo abandons their first-party release schedule to get ready for a new system launch. If Zelda had been shipped as originally planned last year I'm sure it would have been an easy top ten, and potentially a real contender for #1.

I think it's a solid top ten for the year and it really was a pretty memorable year all around. I haven't finished Doom yet but I'm not surprised it get a lot of love. It probably wouldn't make my personal top ten but the whole point of this exercise is to figure out what the broader consensus is. Posts that decry a title as unworthy are equal parts funny, sad, and completely missing the point.

The big shocker for me was the complete lack of love to driving and horror entries. Admittedly the former was primarily a strong exclusive on a weakening platform and the latter was lacking in significant releases. Will 2017 show a strong return for both, or are these genres in decline?

Forgot to do my affinity list.

I don't recognise anyone but you're all pretty cool.

And recommendations:

1. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 14 points, 2 honorable mentions
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [3DS] Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (Adventure) = 5 points
4. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 4 points
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 3 points
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Watch_Dogs 2 (Adventure) = 3 points
8. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Platform) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 2 points
10. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mentionorable mention

DOOM's sitting on my shelf ready to go but I need to get around to the others. I still haven't played Furi yet despite getting it with PS Plus.

Endo Punk

In my view Uncharted is THE cinematic videogame: defined that genre and continues to execute it like no other.

Couldn't agree more. Can't think of another game that does the cinematic experience better. Most devs take it too far into the cinematic direction and forget that it should be a marriage with gameplay, Order 1886 comes to mind and to a lesser extent Quantum Break with live action story, though gameplay still looks great the game does feel disjointed.

Lady Gaia

Seems I ended up on 39 affinity lists, yay.

Greetings, #1 affinity! We were so aligned that there's really not much on your list I need to try out! I did play Inside but wasn't as bowled over as many. I think Hitman is one of the most-loved titles I have yet to try. It's good to have something to pick up in sales (which I already did with Doom and Titanfall 2, neither of which were full-price titles for my tastes.)

My affinity list:

Anyone else unable to uncompress the data? :(

lil edit: 7zip says it failed to recognize the compression algorithm, or something along those lines.

Oh there it goes!

Affinity list:

1. KodaRuss (148) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228175211&postcount=1811
1. Minishdriveby (148) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228718616&postcount=2077
3. TheBigG753 (142) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228191319&postcount=1829
4. viHuGi (138) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227133948&postcount=127
5. alr1ght (136) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227723646&postcount=1548
5. Creamium (136) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227149674&postcount=360
5. Magic Mushroom (136) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227548584&postcount=1359
8. BraXzy (134) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228647915&postcount=2023
8. traveler (134) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228805689&postcount=2287
10. hughesta (133) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227946226&postcount=1672

Good job all of you!

Recommendations!

1. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = Kinda interested in this, maybe some time.
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hitman (Action) = I don't know, always liked the idea but never gave it the chance.
3. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = Skiped this one because every fan tells me that the story is bad or doesn't matter... will see.
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] Overwatch (FPS) = I might but I'm not really on multiplayer focused games.
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] Oxenfree (Adventure) = Yeah, I always wanted this one but I've heard it has too much backtracking? Will see.
6. [XB1][PS4][PC] Slain: Back From Hell (Platform) = Never heard of it.
7. [PS4][PC] Salt and Sanctuary (Adventure) = Art style doesn't grab me, I'll wait for Death's Gambit and decide.
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Watch_Dogs 2 (Adventure) = Nah, first one was really boring.
9. [XB1][PC] Superhot (FPS) = Don't have or can't play on those systems (my PC is bad).
10. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = Hated it
11. [PC] World of Warcraft: Legion (MMO) = Nah, too late for me.
12. [XB1][PS4][PC] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = I might, I found the first one really good but abandoned it real quick because I wasn't having fun.
13. [XB1][PS4][PC] XCOM 2 (Strategy) = I don't know... strategy, at my age...
14. [PC][IOS][AND] Samorost 3 (Puzzle) = YES!! I wish it'd come to PS4 though :/
15. [IOS][AND] Pokémon Go (Simulation) = Nope (I played it for a week though)
16. [PS4][PSVR][PC] Thumper (Rhythm) = YEAH!! tried it on VR and it was fantastic, I want it.
17. [XB1][PS4][PC] Tom Clancy's The Division (Shooter) = Played it, it's good but it gets old quick, last DLC looked really entertaining.
18. [PS4] Killing Floor 2 (FPS) = Probably not.
19. [XB1][PS4][PC] Life Is Strange (Adventure) = I'm really scared about this one, I have the feeling that I'll hate it so I prefer no to play it even if I like the genre.
20. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = When it drops to $10 just to see if the campaign is good as everyone says.
21. [XB1][PC] Gears of War 4 (Shooter) = I wish I could.
22. [PS4] Bound (Platform) = Played it, good game.
23. [XB1][PS4][PC] Unravel (Platform) = Not sure, looks like the charming brother of Limbo and I'm a depressing guy.
24. [XB1][PC] Quantum Break (Shooter) = Wish I could.
25. [XB1][PS4][PC] Virginia (Adventure) = Mmmm nah, I'll live.

Gattsu25

Banned
Congrats to all the winners and thanks for all the recommendations :D

Also, y'all're the real MVPs

Recommendations:
Gattsu25
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227528668&postcount=1326
1. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 11 points
2. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Adventure) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [XB1][PC] Superhot (FPS) = 5 points
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 5 points
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = 5 points
6. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hitman (Action) = 4 points
7. [PC] World of Warcraft: Legion (MMO) = 4 points
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] XCOM 2 (Strategy) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] DiRT Rally (Racing) = 3 points
10. [PS4][PC] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 3 points
11. [PS4][PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [XB1][PS4][PC] Inside (Adventure) = 2 points
14. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations (RPG) = 2 points
15. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (Adventure) = 2 points
16. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 2 points
17. [PC] Kentucky Route Zero - Act IV (Adventure) = 2 points
18. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 2 points
19. [PC] Tyranny (RPG) = 2 points
20. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
21. [PC] VA-11 HALL-A (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
22. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
23. [PS4][PC] Enter the Gungeon (Shooter) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
24. [XB1][PS4][PC] Oxenfree (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
25. [PC][IOS] Hearthstone: Whispers of the Old Gods (Strategy) = 1 point
26. [PSV][PS4][PC] Darkest Dungeon (Strategy) = 1 point
27. [XB1][PS4] Destiny: Rise of Iron (FPS) = 1 point
28. [PS4][PSVR][PC] Thumper (Rhythm) = 1 point
29. [XB1][PS4][PC] Tom Clancy's The Division (Shooter) = 1 point
30. [PC] Offworld Trading Company (Strategy) = 1 point
31. [PC] Devil Daggers (FPS) = 1 point
32. [PS4] Drawful 2 (Puzzle) = 1 point
33. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
34. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
35. [PS4][PC] Mirror's Edge Catalyst (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
36. [PC] Civilization VI (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
37. [PC] Orwell (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

AniHawk

looks like xb1 was fixed, but vita's still out of sorts:

PSV Game of the Year: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II = 113 points, 6 honorable mentions
2. Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate = 14 points
3. Grand Kingdom = 13 points, 3 honorable mentions
4. God Eater 2: Rage Burst = 6 points
5. Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions

trails of cold steel ii = ps3/psv
grand kingdom = ps4/psv
god eater 2 = ps4/psv

it seems that the full list should be:

1. shiren the wanderer
2. valkyrie drive: bhikkhuni

god eater resurrection is also on ps4 and pc. trillion is also on pc. adventures of mana is on mobile. gal gun is on pc and ps4.

Damn, I forgot to vote.

If you told me two years ago that I would react to Uncharted 4 getting the GOTY with a sigh, I would have called you crazy, but here I am. I hope ND doesn't learn the wrong lessons with the success and praise this game got.

Interesting to note that between Persona 5 this year, God of War the next, and TLOU p2 in the following, there's a pretty big chance that Sony grabs the GOTY for nearly every year of the gen (except 2014).

Fireblend

Banned
High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)

1. The House in Fata Morgana (3.666667)
2. Persona 5 (3.5)
3. The Last Guardian (2.832618)

Is it me or does this bode really well for Persona 5? Can't wait to play it
3AQmK.gif

why is this a rule? i get that it would blow up the final tally if there were a lot of games in there, but that's kind of the point of holding a vote.

Thanks for your corrections.

There's a single-post character limit, so an arbitrary cutoff point is applied. Full results are always available in the data file.

Damn, I forgot to vote.

If you told me two years ago that I would react to Uncharted 4 getting the GOTY with a sigh, I would have called you crazy, but here I am. I hope ND doesn't learn the wrong lessons with the success and praise this game got.

Which lessons would that be as it clearly resonated with a lot of people?

I thought the vote was the 25th so missed out on voting :( This would have been my Top 10 roughly:

01. Overwatch
02. Stephen's Sausage Roll
03. The Witness
04. Titanfall 2
05. HITMAN
06. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
07. Event[0]
08. Slayaway Camp
09. Pony Island
10. Replica

You did not post in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327924

Microsoft basically broke our longstanding formula for platform-exclusive GOTY tallying by releasing all of its games on PC as well.

10. Microsoft = 691 points, 59 honorable mentions, 9 titles
1. [XB1][PC] Forza Horizon 3 (Racing) = 311 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. [XB1][PC] Gears of War 4 (Shooter) = 193 points, 15 honorable mentions
3. [XB1][PC] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 121 points, 13 honorable mentions
4. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Platform) = 25 points, 5 honorable mentions
5. [XB1][PC] ReCore (Adventure) = 18 points, 10 honorable mentions
6. [XB1][PC] Dead Rising 4 (Horror) = 14 points, 3 honorable mentions
7. [XB1][PC] Killer Instinct Season 3 (Fighting) = 5 points
8. [XB1][PC] Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain (Racing) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [XB1][PC] Halo 5: Warzone Firefight (FPS) = 1 point

This is why you see an anemic list for XB1 console-exclusives, with a year-crossing port taking the top points. We do not keep data on whether games are new to a given platform or region, only if they're re-releases/remakes/upgraded ports.

I see. Well if you guys do considering changing the way you do things as far as that goes, I'd be in favor of it. I get that rules are rules, but it makes the Xbox One GOTY look pretty silly, especially with "play anywhere".

Great job overall though!

Top Bottom